Titles of the Dutch Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And to create even more confusion: Princess Irene refers to herself as plain Miss van Lippe Biesterfeld. The children of Parince Maurits have the last name van Lippe Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven, while those of his brothers are just plain van Vollenhoven.

I believe the titles of the children of Friso and Constantijn were slightly different too, something to do with the van Amsberg part, but I don´t have time to look that up now.

In over-all the royal family has about 10 different ways of styling, which is a mess indeed.

The van Lippe Biesterfeld name was given to the children of the eldest son of Princess Margriet in honour of Prince Bernhard,ofcourse,to see the name wouldn't phase out in The Netherlands.

The children of Friso and Mabel are Countess of Oranje-Nassau,Jonkvrouw van Amsberg.

Are you sure that they are also Jonkheer/Jonkvrouw? I thought they were Counts van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg, while Constantijns children are Counts of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer/Jonkvrouw van Amsberg.

Are you sure that they are also Jonkheer/Jonkvrouw? I thought they were Counts van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg, while Constantijns children are Counts of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer/Jonkvrouw van Amsberg.

Quite sure,yes.Friso's and Constantijn's children have the same titles:
The Dutch Royal House

:)

Well, I stumbled over the complete title of HM The Queen:

Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard, Queen of The Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld, Duchess of Limburg; Marchioness of Veere and Vlissingen; Countess of Buren, Culemborg, Diez, Katzellenbogen, Leerdam, Spiegelberg and Vianden; Viscountessof Antwerpen; Baroness of Beilstern, Breda, Cranendonk, Land of Cuijk, Diest, Eindhoven, the city of Grave, Liesveld, Warnelou, and IJsselstein; Ladyof Baarn, Bredevoort, Borculo, Bütgenbach, Dasburg, Ter Eem, Geertruidenberg, Heilo, Hooge en Lage Zwaluwe, Klundert, Lichtenvoorde, Maartensdijk, Montfort, Polanen, Soest, Sankt Vith, Steenbergen, Turnhout, Willemstad, Zevenbergen and Ameland.

Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld; Jonkheer/Jonkvrouwe van Amsberg

Queen Beatrix and her sisters are bearing the name "Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld" in their names. The sons of Queen Beatrix and Count Claus-Casimir are styled as Jonkheer van Amsberg, her daughers-in-law and her granddaughters (without Amalia, Alexia and Ariane) are also styled as Jonkvrouwe van Amsberg. My question is: Why aren't the sons of Queen Beatrix also styled "Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld", why aren't the daughters of Willem-Alexander and Maxima also "Jonkvrouwe van Amsberg" and don't have a second family name "Zorreguieta", why aren't the children of Constantijn and Laurentien also named "Brinkhorst" and the Luana and Zaria "Wisse Smit"? Has it something to do that the Queen's daughters-in-law are former commoners?

Queen Beatrix and her sisters are bearing the name "Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld" in their names. The sons of Queen Beatrix and Count Claus-Casimir are styled as Jonkheer van Amsberg, her daughers-in-law and her granddaughters (without Amalia, Alexia and Ariane) are also styled as Jonkvrouwe van Amsberg. My question is: Why aren't the sons of Queen Beatrix also styled "Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld", why aren't the daughters of Willem-Alexander and Maxima also "Jonkvrouwe van Amsberg" and don't have a second family name "Zorreguieta", why aren't the children of Constantijn and Laurentien also named "Brinkhorst" and the Luana and Zaria "Wisse Smit"? Has it something to do that the Queen's daughters-in-law are former commoners?

Doesn't it have to do with the fact that titles and surnames usually (with the obvious exception of the titles connected to the Crown) come from the male side? Beatrix and her sisters are Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld, as their father, Prince Bernhard, was a prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld. These titles go with the male line, so they wouldn't go to either of the children of the sisters.

Similarly, Prince Claus was Jonkheer of Amsberg - but as he only had sons, and not daughters, these titles go from his sons to their children. I don't know why the daughters of Maxima and WA don't have the Jonkheer van Amsberg, though.

Also, Queen Juliana was also Duchess of Mecklenburg, because of her father, Prince Hendrik was originally a Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. This is not a title of Beatrix, if I've understood the elegant video Marengo posted earlier correctly.

To reply to your final question, it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that they're commoners, but rather the fact that they're women. Last names go through the male. If you'll observe the van Vollenhaven family; Pieter van Vollenhaven isn't a royal, but his sons also carry his last name in addition to the of Orange-Nassau. :flowers:

Well I'll admit I dont speak the language, but still, thats quite the mouthfull!

Perhaps it is easier to understand when it is written down? ;)
HM Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard, by the grace of God:
- Queen of The Netherlands
- Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld
- Duchess of Limburg
- Marchioness van Veere en Vlissingen (Flushing)
- Countess of Katzenelnbogen, Vianden, Dietz, Spiegelberg, Buren, Leerdam and Culemborg
- Viscountess of Antwerpen
- Baroness van Breda, Diest, Beilstein, the city Grave, the Land of Cuijk, IJsselstein, Cranendonck, Eindhoven, Liesveld, Herstal, Waasten, Arlay and Nozeroy
- Hereditairy and Free-lady of Ameland
- Lady of Baarn, Besançon, Borculo, Bredevoort, Bütgenbach, Daasburg, Geertruidenberg, Hooge and Lage Zwaluwe, Klundert, Lichtenvoorde, Het Loo, Montfoort, Naaldwijk, Niervaat, Polanen, Steenbergen, Sint Maartensdijk, Sankt Vith, Soest, Ter Eem, Turnhout, Willemstad, Zevenbergen

For those who read dutch, this wikipedia site might be helpfull.

Last edited:
Yes it is, thank you Marengo!

I dare someone to try to read all of the queen's titles without taking one single breath? I think I could not do it so many titles and in such litte time.Thanks for posting all the queen's titles I knew some of them but to see them all is wonderful.

According to the Dutch royal website the children of prince Constantijn und princess Laurentien bear the titles: Countess / Count of Orange-Nassau and Jonkvrouwe / Jonkheer van Amsberg. So far, so good.

Now I tried to look Jonkvrouwe / Jonkheer up in a dictionary, but I haven't found a translation so far.
Does anybody know the translation?

I thought, per Royal rules, you were Prince(s) or Princesses(s) if your FATHER was a prince unless your mother was the heiress to the throne. So, how is it that these boys are all styled as Prince this or that? Does this apply to all of Beatrix sisters?

I thought, per Royal rules, you were Prince(s) or Princesses(s) if your FATHER was a prince unless your mother was the heiress to the throne. So, how is it that these boys are all styled as Prince this or that? Does this apply to all of Beatrix sisters?

Because when the Parlieament was dweciding about the Bill consenting the marriage of Princess Margriet and Pieter van Vollenhoven it was agreed that their children shoulc have the title Prince of Orange-nassau and the name van Vollenhioven withn the style of Highness. Margriet was after all second in line of succession at that time.

Only the children of Princess Irene are also Prince/Princess but not because of their mother it is because Irene married a Prince.

It was decided by parlament indeed, it was said that Queen Juliana really wanted ALL her grandchildren to be princes and that she was slightly upset that the van Vollenhoven's only became HH's, thus creating A-princes and B-princes. In Belgium princess Astrids children have the same titles as those of Philippe and Laurent at the moment.

I think it is easiest to compare it with a 'von' in Germany: untitled nobility (like Claus von Amsberg Jonkheer van Amsberg).

Fair enough but Constantijn's grandchildren should have no title as they are no longer princes of the blood.

The governor of Limburg informed in September with the High Counsil of the Nobility if it was possible for the king to use the title 'Duke of Limburg' again.

According to the counsil, the title was never created by royal decree and thus doesn't have an official status. In the constitution of 1815 it was chosen not to list the titles of the king. However people are free to mention the title at culturally important events in Limburg.

Royalty Online

Interesting,if the Limburg title was re-created by His Majesty would it be the sole dukedom in the Netherlands?

Interesting,if the Limburg title was re-created by His Majesty would it be the sole dukedom in the Netherlands?

If it would be re-created yes.But there are other regions with claims to a Ducal title,like Gelre and Brabant,old mediëval Dukedoms.

As a Crown Prince the Belgian King Filip held the title Duke of Brabant too,referring to the Belgian part of the province of Brabant.We have what we call Noord-Brabant,to make a distinction and to not puzzle the Belgians more then they can manage...grin...

Last edited:
If King Willem-Alexander will abdicate while Queen Maxima is still living, will Maxima then be transfered to HRH Princess Maxima of the Netherlands or could she remain Queen of the Netherlands?

Not unless Willem-Alexander retained his title as King post abdication,which is unlikely as the last 3 monarchs have not done so.

Not unless Willem-Alexander retained his title as King post abdication,which is unlikely as the last 3 monarchs have not done so.

The Royal House Act says:

Article 8, first lemma:
"The presumed successor, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bear the title Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands".

Article 9, first lemma:
"The presumed successor, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bear the title Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau".

This means that the king who has abdicated the kingship, automatically, by Law, without any necessary Royal Decree or Act, will be addressed with the titles Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands, Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau, as we have seen with Princess Beatrix.

:flowers:

If King Willem-Alexander will abdicate while Queen Maxima is still living, will Maxima then be transfered to HRH Princess Maxima of the Netherlands or could she remain Queen of the Netherlands?

By law Máxima is and remains Princess of the Netherlands, Formally she is no Queen.

The Act on the membership of the Royal House says:
Article 2
"The title Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands can, by Royal Decree, only be granted to the following members of the Royal House:
(a) - the spouse of the King
(b) - [...]"

With this gender neutrality is obtained. No matter the gender of the spouse, he/she enjoys the style, rank and address of HRH Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands.

That is de jure. Now comes de facto: with a clever loophole the Dutch Government pointed to "social custom". It is tradition that female spouses of titled gentlemen can be addressed by their husband's title. The spouse of a Count is a Countess. The spouse of a Baron is a Baroness. Princess Laurentien did not obtain any title or nobility when she married Prince Constantijn. She is just referred as "Princess Laurentien" as the spouse of Prince Constantijn. In this very same tradition Máxima is referred as "Queen Máxima", purely by tradition.

She is not "HM Queen Máxima of the Netherlands". Instead she is "HM Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands" see: H.M. koningin Máxima , prinses der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau - Parlement & Politiek

Are the Van Vollenhoven Prince of the Netherlands (HH)
Are de Bourbon Parme Prince or Princess of the Netherlands (HRH) ?

No Lippe-Biesterfeld anymore ??

Last edited:
Are the Van Vollenhoven Prince of the Netherlands (HH)
Are de Bourbon Parme Prince or Princess of the Netherlands (HRH) ?

No Lippe-Biesterfeld anymore ??

Only children of a King or a Heir have the title Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands, Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau:

- Beatrix
- Irene
- Margriet
- Christina

- Willem-Alexander
- Johan Friso
- Constantijn

- Catharina-Amalia
- Alexia
- Ariane

The four children of Princess Irene have the hereditary title "Prince (Princess) de Bourbon de Parme" which is their father's title. The title is incorporated in Dutch (and Luxembourgian) Nobility. They are no members of the Royal House.

The four Van Vollenhoven sons have the personal and non-hereditary title "Prince [....] van Oranje-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven". The title is not incorporated in Dutch Nobility. They are no members of the Royal House.

The three children of Princess Christina are Mr (Mrs) Guillermo. They are no members of the Royal House.

The four daughters of Prince Bernhard also have the title "Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld", which is their father's title. That title will become extinct after them. The chef of the House of Lippe, Prince Armin (cousin of Prince Bernhard) is genealogically a Lippe-Biesterfeld too. As chef of the House, he and his children are Prinz (Prinzessin) zur Lippe. So the name "Lippe-Biesterfeld" (since 1626) has now merged into the main branch of the House of Lippe and will disappear after the death of the four daughters of Prince Bernhard.

:flowers:

The children of Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn have the surname Van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg with the title Count (Countess) van Oranje-Nassau and the predicate Jonkheer (Jonkvrouw) van Amsberg. This is a new noble dynasty. Queen Beatrix and the late Prince Claus only have one grandson: Count Claus-Casimir, he is the only one whom can procreate the new dynasty. The thought behind this: the title Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands, Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau must indicate a close bond with the bearer of the Crown. So no far-away cousin somewhere with that royal title. It must remain "exclusive" for a small group directly linked to a King or a Heir.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what Jonkhur or the female version, Jonkhvrow, mean?

Jonkheer is an honorific predicate held by members of the untitled nobility in Belgium and the Netherlands. The predicate is inherited by both male and female descendants, but can be transmitted in male line only, i.e. all children of a Jonkheer are jonkheren ou jonkvrouwen, but a Jonkvrouw does not transmit the predicate to her respective children.

When a family was admitted into the nobility of the Netherlands, all its male line descendants by default became Jonkheren or Jonkvrouwen, unless a title such as count, viscount or baron was also created or recognized for that particular family. Sometimes, when a new title was created, the legal instrument creating the title stipulated that it could only be inherited by the first-born son of the original title holder or by the "head of the family". In that case, all other children of the title holder and their respective descendants in male line would be also entitled to the Jonkheer/Jonkvrouw predicate, whereas the first-born son, if he survived his father, would inherit the title properly.

For example, before she got married, Queen Mathilde of the Belgians was a Jonkvrouw, having inherited the predicate from her father, who was a Jonkheer. Mathilde's grandfather, however, was a baron. The title passed in that case to Mathilde's uncle, who was her father's older brother. When she got married however, King Albert II decided to elevate Mathilde's entire family, including her father and siblings, to the rank of count/countess, with the title extending to all male or female descendants in male line.

Back
Top Bottom