The Royal Family of The Netherlands, Current Events Part 4 (May 2013 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder what kind of celebration that would be as theatres are still closed under the current Covid-19 measures... They were supposed to reopen at May 11 (so yesterday) but last 1 1/2 weeks ago it was announced that that would be postponed by a week to May 18!

Assuming this could somehow be characterized as part of 'art and culture-exercises allowed inside' (examples are 'music schools'; max of 30 persons per enclosed area); opening of cultural institutions (such as Theatre Carré) isn't planned until late May at the earliest.

So, really strange (and could easily have been postponed by a week, I would think) and could lead to another outcry of them ignoring the regulations.

Last edited:
The family attended a celebration for Queen Máxima's upcoming birthday in Amsterdam this evening, May 12:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

But Queen Maxima celebrates her birthday on May 17th. Why did she celebrate her birthday today?

But Queen Maxima celebrates her birthday on May 17th. Why did she celebrate her birthday today?

Probably a pre birthday event ,lovely to see Princess Beatrix its been too long.

Princess Beatrix looks so short in comparison to her grand daughters! Lovely to see them all, and dressed up.

But like Somebody I was surprised that they went ahead with this event while the theatres are still closed. After the Greek debacle one would expect them to be extra careful. Not that I personally have any problems with the concert. On the contrary, I am glad they pay attention to the cultural sector, while the government is not.

Amalia will start her final exams on Monday - at King's day she mentioned that she will have little time for a big(ger) celebration as she will be studying. In addition, tomorrow starts a 4-day weekend because of Ascension day in the Netherlands, so I guess that's why they picked tonight.

Apparently, the show in Carré was also a 'tv recording' of a special 'tv program' featuring queen Máxima's music initiative - she is touring the Netherlands this week as well to see how the initiative started at her 40th birthday (More Music in the Classroom) is coming along. So, I guess that's how they justify the queen's pre-birthday concert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Beatrix looks so short in comparison to her grand daughters! Lovely to see them all, and dressed up.

But like Somebody I was surprised that they went ahead with this event while the theatres are still closed. After the Greek debacle one would expect them to be extra careful. Not that I personally have any problems with the concert. On the contrary, I am glad they pay attention to the cultural sector, while the government is not.

All was very safe,everyone tested and or was already vaccinated...OK...!
So no, I am not surprised at all.

Might be a nice sign for cultural life in NL....but being with a handfull at safe distance is hardly cosy and or fun,let alone a gala..But then ofcourse they had to highlight the work by Maxima for ,a.o. the very succesfull Music in the Clasroom project.

It shouldnt be special,I recall having music lessons started at elementary school,a weekly event for us kids...But then subsequent governments thought it not of that much importance,and less to no attention was given...as was the case with the rest of the dutch educational system...Kids know not halve what we had to know in our days,without multiple choice things...we HAD to know,or...not- and without any iPhone,tablet or device that looks it all up for you,the lazy generation thing.....

So glad music is back at school.

The Government follows the ` lead` by the infamous RIVM If they would hurry more and more accurate with the vaccination program,if one can call it that....Everything could be open again already,vaccination should be mandatory too,not a personal choice,no vaccination...no dice,so I am looking forward to a Vaccination Passport for cultural events,travels and real Royal Gala´s alike.

The concert will be aired on sunday evening on NPO1.

They didnt,it was just a highlight for television on her work for Music in the Classroom.They did an interview,
a long interview with her and Matthijs van Nieuwkerk too on May 7th about Life,Love and Work,to be aired
monday the 17th,the actual date of her 50th birthday.

It is said to be a very deep interview,I think in the same category as HM interview with Wilfried de Jong on his 50th birthday.Something to really look forward to!!

They didnt,it was just a highlight for television on her work for Music in the Classroom.It was one big studio really,without an audience as is required these days..

They did an interview,a long interview with her and Matthijs van Nieuwkerk too on May 7th about Life,Love and Work,to be aired monday the 17th,the actual date of her 50th birthday.

It is said to be a very deep interview,I think in the same category as HM interview with Wilfried de Jong on his 50th birthday.Something to really look forward to!!

The first excerpts of the Music Cake were shown,looking really great!!
Looking forward to tomorrow evening!

Last edited by a moderator:
King Willem-Alexander presented the Royal Prize for Free Painting 2021 at the Royal Palace Amsterdam and together with Princess Beatrix opened the special anniversary exhibition 'Border Explorers, Royal Prize for Free Painting 150 years' today, July 14:

** ppe gallery ** anp gallery **

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander and Prince Bernhard attended the Grand Prix in Zandvoort today, September 4:

** Pic **

King Willem-Alexander and Prince Bernhard attended the Grand Prix in Zandvoort today, September 4:

** Pic **

Interestingly, the government has decided NOT to attend due to the controversy around this race. Nonetheless, the king (and it seems tomorrow also the queen) do attend?!

Interestingly, the government has decided NOT to attend due to the controversy around this race. Nonetheless, the king (and it seems tomorrow also the queen) do attend?!

So the Government does attend by its member, The King. As long as the Prime Minister is okay with it. After all this mass event is perfectly allowed by the same Government...

Really lovely to see the king and his aunt present :previous:

Really lovely to see the king and his aunt present :previous:

Princess Margriet was the Lady Patroness of the 1980 Paralympic Games which were held in the Netherlands. Since then she is honorary member of the International Paralympic Committee. So very befitting from King Willem-Alexander to invite his aunt for this reception.

:flowers:

Princess Beatrix and Princess Margriet attended the 50th anniversary performance „Tutti“ of Introdans in Arnhem this evening, September 24:

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery **

Last edited:
There aren't many mother and son events... So, nice to see the two of them attending this event together.

I also noticed that both the king and former queen use their QR codes (if not, they couldn't enter).

Last edited:
Difference in generations??

:previous:
Yes, and very nice, the king has his QR code on his phone and Prinses Beatrix has hers on paper.??

The king, queen and princess Beatrix made it known that they are willing to participate in an investigation into the palace's involvement with an attempt to keep Julio Poch (an alleged pilot of 'death flights' in Argentina) from being persecuted (see royalblog for more information - in Dutch). They also announced that staff members of the Court and 'Service Royal House' are available to participate if requested.

Someone claiming to be a staff member at the court made a phone call trying to dismiss any judicial proceedings against Julio Poch - in their words 'make it go away' (Note: he was acquitted after 8 years in prison in Argentina - see here for a short article on this case). That person said to do so 'by their own initiative' after discussing the case with colleagues but it is unclear how various courtiers would have known about this case as it wasn't public knowledge at that point in time.

Nice to see the two of them together. Princess Margriet is the patron of Introdans while princess Beatrix is the patron of the Prinses Beatrix Spierfonds, a fund that tries to raise money for research of muscular diseases. The performance was raising money for that fund.

Not surprised. I was already wondering whether some members of the RF would join the celebration of these extraordinary speed skaters...

Nice to see the Princess of Orange with her father the king at the event.

Back
Top Bottom