State Visit from Luxembourg to The Netherlands: April 24-26, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marengo said:
I have to let go of some personal frustrations:

I wonder why the Queen doesn't sell most of her jewelry collection anyway as 2/3 of it is collecting dust in the vaults and the nicest pieces haven't been seen for ages ... I wonder what thing she will hide in her hair during her state visit to Belgium, when Queen paola will be standing next to her with the diademe of the nine provinces she will probably wear the eternal floral motive tiara.

I understand your frustrations Marengo ... it would be nice to see the Queen in some other jewellry for a change, instead of seeing the same old, same old!:(

But look on the bright side. It could be worse - you could be living in Canada and not be seeing ANY tiaras at all! ;):)

I thought all the ladies looked pretty good this evening (although as others have said, the Queen did look a bit pale & tired). IMO, Maxima's evening attire was a big improvement over her day outfit. I had to live through the time when the bubble skirt had its 15 minutes of fame in the '80s. I can't believe I am going to be made to suffer through its resurrection!:eek::eek::D

I agree. Most of the outfits were flops. Maxima's daytime outfit was okay, but the baloon skirt, as many have said is not flattering and the ankle strap shoes on both Maxima and Maria-Theresa were awful. The evening dress was almost as bad. The queen who looked lovely this afternoon, look awful in that color gold. Maxima's gown was okay, but the jewelry, including the tiara was terrible. Maxima has worn some of the worst tiaras I have ever seen. She is lovely, too bad. Maria-Thersa looked like she was in pain wearing that tiara, which she might have been. She didn't look elegant, I have seen her look much better. She has a beautiful face. She is a bit chunky and needs to stick to simple, elongated lines. You would think that someone would advise them on how to look their best.

royalist said:
Sorry but I think both Maxima and M Teresa today's outfits are a bit awful choice for a daylight engagement...:cool:

They're sure are in a colorful mood today!

Spicy red, funky fuschia, ballon skirts galore, wide hats all around!:) These royal ladies never disappoint the royal fashionista critics.

The tiara on the Grand Duchess is a bit too big for her, no?

Last edited:
I fear my earlier post on clothes & jewellry was too negative ... so on to other things more positive.

The greetings that the two royal families had for each other earlier today at the airport looked to be genuinely warm. Are the Luxembourg royals close to the Dutch royals?

I LOVE that Maria Teresa is wearing that tiara! We havent seen it in awhile I dont think. I think she looks great in it.

My two cents [clothing-wise]:
Maria Teresa and Maxima both looked wonderful in their day outfits! They are both such elegant ladies. I like Maxima more and more and more as time goes on! :-D
As far as the gala dinner, I agree that it would have been nice to see some different jewels on the Queen, but she looked great nonetheless. Her gown was amazing.
Maxima's gown was very nice, the color was great on her. I don't much care for strapless gowns, but meh. Also, the aquamarine parure looked kind of strange with the color of her gown- I would have went with something with amethysts in it myself....XD
The Grand Duchess' gown was gorgeous and she looked wonderful! However, I hate that tiara on her. Grand Duchess Charlotte looked great in it, Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte could just about pull it off with her regal bearing, but it is too large to suit Maria-Teresa IMO. Something a little smaller- like the Chaumet pearl tiara- would have looked better, I think.
Princess Margiet looked wonderful, like she always does....:-D

....I must say, I was really excited for this state visit. We've been so starved for tiaras for so long! XD

Do these Royal ladies have personal stylists? If not they should employ one soon. Maxima's balloon dress!!!!!! Marie Teresa looked lovely in her gala dinner outfit. The Queen looked as if her outfit was too heavy to wear.

Stellad

stellad said:
Do these Royal ladies have personal stylists? If not they should employ one soon. Maxima's balloon dress!!!!!! Marie Teresa looked lovely in her gala dinner outfit. The Queen looked as if her outfit was too heavy to wear.

Stellad

I would imagine they do. Remember what you think is stylish may not be so for another.

1 more state banquet photo from Getty images

Attachments

• 57410493.jpg
    57410493.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,033
Marengo said:
I have to let go of some personal frustrations:

I wonder why the Queen doesn't sell most of her jewelry collection anyway as 2/3 of it is collecting dust in the vaults and the nicest pieces haven't been seen for ages. If she even let's herself be outshined by a 'mere' Grand Duchess (not only in tiara, also in neclace & brooch) she might want to sell them all, as it is of no use anyway. I wonder what thing she will hide in her hair during her state visit to Belgium, when Queen paola will be standing next to her with the diademe of the nine provinces she will probably wear the eternal floral motive tiara. Margriet might leave the tiara's at home as well as she always goes out of her ways to hide the tiara in her hair. What's the use of it then? Maybe they are afraid of burglars, hence the hiding.
I do not like the tiara Maxima is wearing either, but anything is better then her horrible barbie/ star diademe IMO.

And now I am at it: it would be nice if Laurentien and Constantijn started to join these occassions as well, especially when such close neighbours are visiting!

On a more positive note: chapeau for the Grand Duchess, I was hoping to see this tiara on her, and luckily she can wear it without the diademe becoming to overwhelming.

The dress of HM is in a class of its own, I rather like it, it is very Royal, a sort of costume. The Grand Duchess looks lovely in pink, Maxima's dress isn't anything to special, usually she wears more special things.
All the jewels of the Family where put in Foundation by Queen Juliana in the 70's so it can not be sold. There are other Foundations for Artwork and Historic Peaces. That is also the reason Máxima has worn so much different tiara since her marriage. She wore The Aquamarine Tiara, the Bais of the pearl Spike RTiara without the Pearls, the Stats Tiara (Basis of the Pearl-Button-Tiara with Starts placed where normally the Buttons are), the Emerald-Tiara with upright Pearl-Spikes, the Triangular-Motiv-Necklace-Tiara and the bandeau of diamonds.
To compare no of the other Crown Princess have worn more than to Tiaras since their marriages.

Last edited:
more from DPA, seegerpress, and ANP

th_53746_094601_4.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures without watermark of the Gala Banquet from ANP

May i ask what sash are they wearing? Has Willem-Alexander & Maxima receive the Luxembourg Order? :confused:

I'm noticing the Queen is wearing her sash underneath the embroidered layer of her dress, nice way to cover up.. ;)

Last edited:
Jess, you're the best! Thank you for the pics! :)
I think it's the Luxembourgian (did I spell that right?) sash they're wearing, but I guess that it's more safe to ask someone who's more into sashes... :p

hehe.. thanks, Maxie!

here's 2 more picture without watermark from RVD

and also from ANP

Last edited:
Maxima, Maxima, why oh WHY did you wear that HIDEOUS tiara?? :confused:
Especially when some of the other tiaras you have worn would go way better with that dress, say your wedding tiara or a pearl tiara of some form

Beatrix & Maria-Teresa looked very nice at the gala dinner, and at the meeting at the airport

I'm still iffy on what Maxima wore to the hospital...it was a little to pooffy and very unflattering to her body shape, and the ankle-strap shoes didnt help...and a little shiny, especially the stockings...

BTW, thannks to everyone for the wonderful photos!! You are all wonderful, gorgeous people!!

Stefan said:
All the jewels of the Family where put in Foundation by Queen Juliana in the 70's so it can not be sold. There are other Foundations for Artwork and Historic Peaces. That is also the reason Máxima has worn so much different tiara since her marriage. She wore The Aquamarine Tiara, the Bais of the pearl Spike RTiara without the Pearls, the Stats Tiara (Basis of the Pearl-Button-Tiara with Starts placed where normally the Buttons are), the Emerald-Tiara with upright Pearl-Spikes, the Triangular-Motiv-Necklace-Tiara and the bandeau of diamonds.
To compare no of the other Crown Princess have worn more than to Tiaras since their marriages.

The board of the foundation (the Queen, princess Margriet and others) can decide to sell things from the collection, in theory at least.

Maxie said:
Jess, you're the best! Thank you for the pics! :)
I think it's the Luxembourgian (did I spell that right?) sash they're wearing, but I guess that it's more safe to ask someone who's more into sashes... :p

I read on the Benelux royals MB that it is the highest order of the Nassau family they are wearing and not the highest Luxembourgian order.

DAY 2 - April 25, 2006
Queen Beatrix with Grand Duke Henri & Grand Duchess Maria Teresa are visiting Leeuwarden, at Provice of Friesland

photos from ANP :

Attachments

• 2917693.jpg
    2917693.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 271
  • 2917807.jpg
    2917807.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 305
  • 2917844.jpg
    2917844.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 290
Thanks for the info on the order, Marengo! (I'm a total order/sash nitwit...) :)

And finally some pictures, brought to us by the great Jess! Thanks again! I was just wondering why it took the agencies so long to provide us with pictures, since the royal family was up and about at 10 this morning, according to the schedule. But then again, they're in Friesland and that's quite a hidden corner of our oh so big country. (If there are any Frisians out here, don't be offended and bare in mind that originally I'm from Limburg, which is (as I say with modest self criticism) even worse... ;))

Does anybody know if the concert of tonight will be a tiara event as well?

Maxima's dress is gorgeous. i love how her makeup matches.

the color of beatrix's dress really does not suit her at all.

Here are some pictures from Getty Images

Attachments

• 57417608.jpg
    57417608.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 262
  • 57418890.jpg
    57418890.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 57418881.jpg
    57418881.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 57418873.jpg
    57418873.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 268
Pictures from the concert visit without watermarks ANP:)

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 411
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 301
From Royal Images

Attachments

• RI250403.jpg
    RI250403.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 266