Spanish Introductory Visit to The Netherlands: October 15, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Duc, in 20 years the protocol of state visits in the Netherlands also changed ... in 1980 men wear uniforms and decorations.

[...]

In the Netherlands gentlemen still wear uniforms and decorations for State Visits. The late Prince Claus however never served in the Netherlands armed forces and was not entitled to wear an uniform. The late Prince Bernhard and King Willem-Alexander however actively served in the military and wear uniforms with matching decorations, as we have seen.

Willem-Alexander in uniform during evening:
http://www.refdag.nl/oud/foto/011024vpfo01.jpg

Willem-Alexander in uniform during day:
http://static3.parool.nl/static/photo/2014/10/10/1/20140109165251/album_large_2033941.jpg

At least Queen Mathilde understood the etiquette when King Philippe made the same visit: http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Queen+Maxima+Belgian+Royals+Visit+Netherlands+uRF3EqEuF_Mx.jpg

Last edited:
Duc, that photo is of the official dinner, where women dress gowns and tiaras, not a day event.

Mathilde of Belgium, as Maxima and other queens and princesses use hats very often, and they do it on many occasions that the protocol does not require it.

I do not think Sofia, Queen of Spain, born Princess of Greece, related to many European monarchies is ignorant of the protocol.

Lets move on from comparing Queen Sofia with her daughter in law and who wore what in 1980!

If a code could be formulated, it might be easier for everyone...Perhaps on the basis of 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do' ?

ie - The guests adopt the sartorial norms of the host nation [for the duration of the visit]

I agree with what you are saying to an extent, but since there was no problem whatsoever with the dress code and what the two queens were wearing I should imagine a code is unnecessary. Having said that, a formulated code would probably make things easier for us here on TRF!

Queen Máxima dresses as a Queen, following the etiquette for formal daywear. Doña Letizia "forgot" who she is and who she is visiting. Way underdressed.

:flowers:

I also prefer the way the dutch Queen dresses, but I don´t think it has anything to do with "forgetting" who Letizia is, but of her different taste comparing to Máxima! Like all women (and people in general) both ladies like different kind of styles. Both Queens Fabiola and Sofia don´t like to wear hats and they only did when it was absolutely required and "necessary" (for royal weddings or state visits at foreign courts where hats are traditionally worn, for instance). Queen Sofia once even stated that she thinks hats don´t suit her. I cannot recall the Queen of Jordan ever having seen wearing a hat (she even didn´t when the now spanish king and queen got married), but here cultural background might be the reason, although Qu. Rania likes to wear western style clothing otherwise.
Let´s face it, hats and gloves have vanished almost completely from general wearing with the exception of Royalty and may be the Derby the only places left on this planet where they still are used. And it seems to be a purely european upper class thing (may be with the exception of the japanese court where only very ugly hats are worn! To be honest, in this case I´d prefer the ladies not to wear hats at all!).
It is regarded by most women, even the older ones (!), as something stuffy, unpractical from the past.
Though I personally still like seeing it at Princesses or Queens, we shouldn´t be surprised that even some of the royal ladies like to keep up with modern times!

Last edited:
Indeed, hats almost disappeared completely. Except for special occassions like some posh or very protestant weddings, baptisms, funerals and in at least the Netherlands for sunday church visits.

It was said that Beatrix considered it part of her ´uniform´, so it would be clear immidiately for the public who is the queen.

Last edited:
Maybe Letizia did not misunderstood the dress code, maybe in our days hat and gloves are not an obligation, but ..... Maxima is dressed like a Queen, Letizia only like an elegant business woman!!

Well, in germany people start even avoiding black clothing at funerals, not speaking of hats! When a lady wears a hat for a wedding she is often the focus of attention (and not always in a nice or friendly way as some people might be making a fool of her behind her back!).

Apparently the queen of Spain received the Dutch crown order. A rather curious choice, since her husband has the order of Orange-Nassau, as do Philippe and Mathilde. On twitter several Dutch royalty reporters are discussing it and are nwondering if the information was wrong.
The highest order, the Dutch Lion, will probably handed out at a later date, during a state visit perhaps.

Yes I was wondering about that,perhaps they will wait until there's a State Visit to bestow the order of Orange-Nassau on Q.L.

Last edited:
I would imagine that at a state visit they will receive the Dutch Lion (blue ribbon with orange stripes) as it is the highest order. The order of Orange-Nassau and the Crown order are secundary orders, usually for (crown) princes (both orange ribbons, one with white-blue stripes and the other with red-white-blue stripes). Philippe, Mathilde, Haakon, Mette-Marit, Hassan and Sarvath of Jordan, Guillaume Lux. and Felipe all have the order of Orange-Nassau, though the prince of Wales, the CP and CPss of Brunei and Prince Naruhito have the Crown order. Logic seems to be missing.

Last edited:
it's a bit of a shame letizia didn't wear a hat, i think it's such a feminine and elegant accessory. however, it's just not as common in spain, or for the spanish RF to use hats, so i am not surprised she isn't wearing one. we have only seen letizia wearing a hat in situations that really required them, like the two day royal weddings she attended, so i wasn't really expecting her to break the rule this time.

Back
Top Bottom