The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,239
Remembrance and Liberation Day; May 4th-5th, 2013

Their Majesties King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will attend the Remembrance ceremony at the Nieuwe Kerk,Amsterdam may 4th and will lay a wreath at the National Monument at Dam Square after which a two minute silence will be observed at 20.00PM.

TM King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima as well as HRH Princess Beatrix will attend the Liberation Day concert on the Amstel River,Amsterdam on may 5th.Marvellous!!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-04-2013, 04:11 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 25,109
.

Here are some pics and a video of the ceremony today:



** ppe gallery ** anp gallery 1 ** anp gallery 2 ** gettyimages gallery **


__________________

__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,262
After years of WA appearing in uniform at this event it seems odd to seem him dressed in a suit. I thought a new non-rank uniform with special insignia had been designed for the King to wear on accassions when uniforms would be appropriate.
Did Prince Maurits attend in his new role as adjutant to the King?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
After years of WA appearing in uniform at this event it seems odd to seem him dressed in a suit. I thought a new non-rank uniform with special insignia had been designed for the King to wear on accassions when uniforms would be appropriate.
Did Prince Maurits attend in his new role as adjutant to the King?

No, Maurits did not attend
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Marika86's Avatar
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Villa San Giovanni, Italy
Posts: 3,452
Another photogallery

BelgaPicture - Category details
__________________
Marika86
"It's very special, as Kate is very special. It's my way of making sure my mother didn't miss out on today and the excitement." Prince William, November 16 2010
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 13,884
I was in the public today. General van Uhm (the general who was in the cortege of the king on 30 April) had quite an impressive speech, and mentioned his son who died five years ago in Afghanistan. The speaker referred to 'HM the King and HM the Queen, which is incorrect as it is HM Queen Máxima. I am sure this will happen for the next decades of the kings reign. Odd to hear the speaker talk about 'Their Majesties' (we didn't have that since 1890).

I find the whole idea that the king can't be a member of the militairy quite odd, but soit...
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-04-2013, 06:41 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Posts: 7,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I was in the public today. General van Uhm (the general who was in the cortege of the king on 30 April) had quite an impressive speech, and mentioned his son who died five years ago in Afghanistan. The speaker referred to 'HM the King and HM the Queen, which is incorrect as it is HM Queen Máxima. I am sure this will happen for the next decades of the kings reign. Odd to hear the speaker talk about 'Their Majesties' (we didn't have that since 1890).

I find the whole idea that the king can't be a member of the militairy quite odd, but soit...
Luck you Marengo,did you manage to see Their Majesties. It was strange seeing Beatrix present for the first year is such a long,long time!
__________________
6th of April 2005-Death of Rainier III, Prince of Monaco
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 PM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,374
i found this photo in facebook hope you can see it!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I was in the public today. General van Uhm (the general who was in the cortege of the king on 30 April) had quite an impressive speech, and mentioned his son who died five years ago in Afghanistan. The speaker referred to 'HM the King and HM the Queen, which is incorrect as it is HM Queen Máxima. I am sure this will happen for the next decades of the kings reign. Odd to hear the speaker talk about 'Their Majesties' (we didn't have that since 1890).

I find the whole idea that the king can't be a member of the militairy quite odd, but soit...
Peter van Uhm striked the core of may 4th.Very very impressive indeed!!
It was quite unusual there was applaus after a speech on may 4th,but this
speech was one of a kind by a one of a kind guy.Everybody was moved.

More from Amsterdam:

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1527216

His brother,General-Major Mark van Uhm,attended the Remembrance ceremony at the Grebbeberg,Rhenen,the venue of fierce fighting between Dutch and the invading German troops in may 1940.HRH Princess Margriet,Pieter van Vollenhoven en HH Prince Pieter-Christiaan were in attendance at Rhenen as well.

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1527219

Courtesy ANP
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The speaker referred to 'HM the King and HM the Queen, which is incorrect as it is HM Queen Máxima.
Is that so? I thought it was only "the queen" as there is only one at the moment? Beatrix reverted back to her title of princess, so there is no need to distinguish between two queens. Such a problem only arises when there is a dowager queen and the wife of the reigning king, so there is a need to make a difference. But even then Maxima as the wife of the reigning king would be the queen, no?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-05-2013, 02:26 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 25,109
Large pics from yesterday can be found here (click on zoom before saving):


** King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima Of The Netherlands Attend Remembrance Day In Amsterdam **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-05-2013, 02:38 AM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post

Is that so? I thought it was only "the queen" as there is only one at the moment? Beatrix reverted back to her title of princess, so there is no need to distinguish between two queens. Such a problem only arises when there is a dowager queen and the wife of the reigning king, so there is a need to make a difference. But even then Maxima as the wife of the reigning king would be the queen, no?
The last Queen Consort gives us a good understanding of what Maxima's current titles are and future titles may be open to her. Emma was the spouse of William III, then the regent for her daughter, Wilhelmina, before becoming "simply" the dowager queen. Her titles were:

- Her Serene Highness Princess Emma of Waldeck and Pyrmont (prior to her marriage)
- Her Majesty The Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Waldeck and Pyrmont (during her marriage)
- Her Majesty Queen Emma of the Netherlands, The Queen Regent (during her daughter's minority)
- Her Majesty Queen Emma of the Netherlands, The Queen Mother (the rest of her life)

Currently, Maxima's current title is Her Majesty The Queen of the Netherlands. If her husband doesn't one day abdicate then she may one day become The Queen Regent, The Queen Mother, and/or The Dowager Queen.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-05-2013, 02:56 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The last Queen Consort gives us a good understanding of what Maxima's current titles are and future titles may be open to her. Emma was the spouse of William III, then the regent for her daughter, Wilhelmina, before becoming "simply" the dowager queen. Her titles were:

- Her Serene Highness Princess Emma of Waldeck and Pyrmont (prior to her marriage)
- Her Majesty The Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Waldeck and Pyrmont (during her marriage)
- Her Majesty Queen Emma of the Netherlands, The Queen Regent (during her daughter's minority)
- Her Majesty Queen Emma of the Netherlands, The Queen Mother (the rest of her life)

Currently, Maxima's current title is Her Majesty The Queen of the Netherlands. If her husband doesn't one day abdicate then she may one day become The Queen Regent, The Queen Mother, and/or The Dowager Queen.

According to the official Information Maxima is not the Queen of the Netherlands but Queen Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands. She is alllowed to be called Queen.

"Will Princess Máxima become Queen?
Yes. As the King's wife, Princess Máxima will be referred to as the Queen. Her official title will be Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau."

Quote from: Frequently asked questions - Het Koninklijk Huis
__________________
Stefan

Royal Travel and Events

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-05-2013, 04:34 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
According to the official Information Maxima is not the Queen of the Netherlands but Queen Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands. She is alllowed to be called Queen.

"Will Princess Máxima become Queen?
Yes. As the King's wife, Princess Máxima will be referred to as the Queen. Her official title will be Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau."

Quote from: Frequently asked questions - Het Koninklijk Huis
But we were talking about how Maxima will be referred to. It is obviously Their Majesties, the king and queen of the Netherlands. Not Their Majesties the king and queen Maxima of the Netherlands.

I like the idea that (if I understood that correctly) members of the Royal family have their own, personal, titles. Their spouses, if male or female, share the rank with them. In some cases you are granted a personal title on marriage, like it happened for Maxima. It did not happen eg for the husbands of Beatrix' sisters, only for their children who are blood-relations of the souverain. But as Maxima shows, a spouse can be granted a personal title. What about Laurentien? Is she a princess of the Netherlands in her own right? I not sure how their internal rank is deemed by their position in the line of succession or through closeness of relation to the souverain or through Royal decree (in a case like Maxima's)?

Then there is the official position of king and of prince/princess of Orange. The spouse of the prince or princess does not share the title, but the position and gets a personal title of prince/princess of the Netherlands. The spouse of the king is according to tradition still his queen, while the spouse of a queen regnant stays Prince of the Netherlands.

But - does Catherina-Amalia as The Princess of Orange outrank her mother? And would she outrank her father if her mother was the queen regnant?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Large pics from yesterday can be found here (click on zoom before saving):


** King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima Of The Netherlands Attend Remembrance Day In Amsterdam **
I love Maxima's black suit and hat...very chic! She is on a roll!
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,239
The weather was beautifull today,a country celebrating Liberation Day!!Tonight,traditionally,the Liberation Day events will be concluded by the Concert on the Amstel River here in Amsterdam.Tonight TM King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will be in attendance,as well as HRH Princess Beatrix!!Just start to imagine the cheers from the crowds on the shores and bridges when we see this trio appear!!The first time to appear in a public function for HRH Princess Beatrix since april 30th.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-05-2013, 02:51 PM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 17,871
May 5, 2013 - King, Queen & Princess Beatrix attending the concert

Pic 1 ** Pic 2

PPE agency gallery
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Posts: 7,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
May 5, 2013 - King, Queen & Princess Beatrix attending the concert

Pic 1 ** Pic 2

PPE agency gallery
Lovely to see the royal trio,feels rather strange not writting 'Queen' before Beatrix,might take me awhile!
__________________
6th of April 2005-Death of Rainier III, Prince of Monaco
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-05-2013, 03:22 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 25,109


Same for me


Here are some more pics from this evening:


** anp gallery **


And some more additional pics from yesterday:


** pp: Willem-Alexander et Maxima : Première cérémonie officielle pour le couple royal **


** hola: Guillermo Alejandro y Máxima de Holanda, solemnidad en su primer acto oficial como Reyes ** translation **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,146
Same for me, folks. I wish I could call her "Dowager Queen Beatrix" but oh well. I wish this grand lady nothing but the best, she has been an exemplary monarch, imo.
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
king willem-alexander, liberation day, princess beatrix, queen maxima, remembrance day


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remembrance and Liberation Day; May 4th and 5th, 2012 lucien Dutch Royals 21 05-08-2012 06:21 AM
Remembrance and Liberation Day; May 4th and 5th, 2011 lucien Dutch Royals 6 05-05-2011 04:11 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander olympic games picture thread pom pregnancy prince albert prince albert ii prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim prince laurent princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess charlene daytime fashion princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia state visit wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]