Remembrance and Liberation Day: May 4 and 5, 2004-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw a video and people were panicking. Someone began screaming during the two minutes of silence and then people began running away from the barricades. The video showed the PM, Queen, PoO and Princess Maxima being moved away from the site very quickly. The crowd was understandably very frightened.

I'm glad that the service was able to continue and I understand that the Royal Family is visiting those who were injured today.

There is a press conference about this incident tonight. It can start any moment now.

Josette

Princess Robjin,
Could you please update us with any news?

Thank you

I can't believe this, the Royal Family is really having to have nerves of steel. No matter how strong you are this still puts you on edge.

Two men were apprehended, of which one has been released. This man was caught because he had dropped his suitcase and that looked suspicious. He had dropped the suitcase in panic and nothing suspicious was found inside.
The second man, who was dressed in Jewish orthodox clothing (thought, from what I understand he is not Jewish) is still in custody. The man is known to the police for dealing and possessing drugs, being violent and thieving. During the silence, he was heard mumbling and talking to himself, the mumblings turned into the scream that caused the wave of panic of the public.

I was there at the Rokin with two friends and all of a sudden we see this crowd of people running our way. Very od. But I suppose after Apeldoorn people are a bit scared.

Princess Robjin,
Could you please update us with any news?

Thank you

Sorry, I went offline, I didn't see your question. SLV has given all information known. :flowers:

Josette :flowers:

Last edited:
I was there at the Rokin with two friends and all of a sudden we see this crowd of people running our way. Very od. But I suppose after Apeldoorn people are a bit scared.

I believe so as well. I watched it on TV this morning and I felt sorry for the DRF and all the people who attended the service. Thank god nothing terrible has happened!

Two of my friends live just round the corner and were on the square too. I am very relieved that they are fine.

Scary for everyone there and the royal family. Just looking at the photos you can see the confusion in their faces

WA was visibly rattled by what happened, I do not know what disturbed him so much.

Beatrix seemed determined to me to show a serene smile and not let anyone spoil the importance of the event.

I saw it in the news. I was suprised how quickly the Royal family returned to the ceremony. Very respectable.
It's shocking how quickly one crazy person can cause a mass panic.

A video of the incident:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezTaAtgxmNA&feature=player_embedded

I am very glas nothing worse happened.

Does anyone know what will happen to the man who caused the panic now?

Last edited:
So what actually happpened?
Someone caused an incident during the rememberance ceremony and people panicked?

:previous: A man started to scream during the 2 minutes of silence, something caused a noise (I think a falling barrier) and people started to scream and run away in panic. I heard some people were also screaming there was a bomb which caused even a bigger fear).

My Goodness- what times we´re living in ! Thank God the Royal Family was safe !!!

I thought the police immediately grabbed the man as if something already happened which caused the panic. When the police didn't jump up so soon, it would have been fine.

So annoying, Queensday incident of last year seems to have people thinking of having a free pass to disturb the public order.

Apparently it was a 39 y/o man who started screaming, the police jumped on him and the public started moving. On that moment a man dropped his suitcase and people started screaming that there was a bomb in it, so even more panic. Some fences fell over, which sounded a bit like gun shots so the panic was complete.

Accordomg to the head of the police of Amsterdam, Mr. Bernhard Welten, it was the Queen herself who insisted that the ceremony should be resumed. So she returned, after a few minutes. She was walking arm in arm with her son, and was holding the hand of princess Maxima. During the national anthem, the Queen had to fight her tears, as many others had to.

Afterwards the royals visited the wounded who were nursed in the Groote Club. When the queen was on her way home she heard that some people were also nursed in the royal palace, so she decided to go back, to visit them too.

The man that caused the panic is known by the police and has been convicted for violance and drugs related issues. He was dressed like an orthodox jew, supposedly not because he is one. Apparently the police can only keep him for a few hours, as the offence is 'disturbing public order'. But before they release him he needs to have a psychological examination. The man with the suitcase had nothing to do with the whole thing.

---------

Tonight the Queen attended the traditional liberation day concert, where she was cheered extra loud, it seemed.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/jsp/foto_wi...dia/archive/00720/beatrix_720436d.jpg&caption

Last edited:
Thank you Marengo for the update. It's an outrage when some wacked individual causes panic and injuries to so many because he's wanting some sick version of 15 min. of fame. It's even more outrageous that he'll get a slap on the wrist. People could have been killed.

Queen Beatrix at the 5th May concert in Amsterdam on 5 May 2010.
The concert staged on the Amstel river in Amsterdam is the traditional
closing of the Liberation Day, celebrated each year on 5 May in the
Netherlands to mark the end of the Nazi occupation during World War
II.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

Last edited:
Accordomg to the head of the police of Amsterdam, Mr. Bernhard Welten, it was the Queen herself who insisted that the ceremony should be resumed. So she returned, after a few minutes. She was walking arm in arm with her son, and was holding the hand of princess Maxima. During the national anthem, the Queen had to fight her tears, as many others had to.

Afterwards the royals visited the wounded who were nursed in the Groote Club. When the queen was on her way home she heard that some people were also nursed in the royal palace, so she decided to go back, to visit them too.

Tonight the Queen attended the traditional liberation day concert, where she was cheered extra loud, it seemed.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/jsp/foto_wi...dia/archive/00720/beatrix_720436d.jpg&caption
Very brave of Queen Beatrix and kudos to her for setting a good example. Apparently the people appreciated it too. :flowers:

My respects to the royal family. What courage and bravery they show at all times.

Remembrance and Liberation Day; May 4th and 5th, 2011

:dutchflag2:

Today,may 4th is Remembrance Day here in The Netherlands as the Dutch remember their dead,both military and civilian,of World War Two and all wars and missions afterwards.

May 4th is a solemn day as the dead will be remembered at the numerous war Memorials throughout the country.At 18.00PM till 21.00PM all flags will fly at halve mast everywhere.

HM The Queen and TRH The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima will attend the National Remembrance Service at the Nieuwe Kerk,Amsterdam this evening,after which HM and The Prince of Orange will lay a wreath at the National Monument on the Dam Square shortly before 20.00PM.

At 20.00PM a two minute silence will be observed throughout the Country.

Then the Government,the Military and other officials as well as survivors of the camps and their representatives,the Roma gypsies,the gay community,and many many other organisations involved will lay a wreath.HM and TRH will then walk past the wreaths and flowers.

At the same time HRH Princess Margriet and Prof.mr.Pieter van Vollenhoven will attend the Remembrance Ceremony for the Dutch Military that were killed in all wars and conflicts since 1940 in service of the Kingdom at the Military Field of Honour at the Grebbeberg in Rhenen,venue of fierce fighting in the very beginning of the Second World War where many Dutch military were killed in action.It was there that the great Queen Wilhelmina demanded to go and die with her boys and men,but was denied and taken to England to her frustration.

Tomorrow may 5th is Liberation Day to remember the capitulation of the German Forces on Dutch soil,as well as the surrender of Japanese forces in the former Dutch East Indies,at Hotel De Wereld in Wageningen on that day in 1945.It is a truly festive day to be compared with Queensday celebrations nationwide.

HM The Queen will traditionally attend the Fifth of May Concert at the Amstel River,Amsterdam in the evening.

Prof.mr.Pieter van Vollenhoven and the PM will attedn the commemoration service at the John the Baptistchurch in Wageningen to honour the Liberation from and capitulation of German and Japanese forces here in The Netherlands and the Dutch East Indies,present day Indonesia.

There will be strict security measures in place during both days to avoid scenes like last year when hundreds panicked and many got wounded in the proces after a nut screamed during the two minutes silence at the Dam Square.Many of the wounded were then taken to the Royal Palace on the square to have medical aid.HM,already on her way home to The Hague,heard of the Palace being used as a first aid post,and immediatly requested her driver to turn and return to Amsterdam where she attended to and visited the wounded.A gesture enormously appreciated by all,but lets pray we can prevent this from happening this year.

Last edited:
Thank you Lucien and Fanvanmaxima for the photos. It looks like it was a much calmer ceremony this year.

Laying ceremony at the militair field of honour Grebbeberg in Rhenen with Princess Margriet and Pieter van Vollenhoven. May 04, 2011

PPE Agency Rhenen

Laying ceremony at the WWII memorial at the monument op de Dam with Princess Maxima, Queen Beatrix and Prince Willem-Alexander. May 04, 2011

PPE Agency Amsterdam

Remembrance and Liberation Day; May 4th and 5th, 2012

Today,May 4th:Remembrance of the Dead.

The Netherlands observes the Remembrance of the Dead of WW II,both military and civilians,and of all conflicts and missions after.

HM The Queen and TRH the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima will attend a remembrance ceremony at the Nieuwe Kerk,Amsterdam this evening followed by the wreathlaying at the National Munument by HM and the Prince.At 20.00PM two minutes silence will be observed nationwide.

The Dead of WW II are remembered at every town,city,village or hamlet,former fusillade sites ao.

Remembrance ceremonies the previous years:

ANP Foto

Each year come this time The Netherlands also welcomes hundreds,and maybe a bit less now as happens each year,Veterans from the UK,Canada and the US.We hold them in very very high esteem!!Always!!And they are and have become more then our Liberators,they've become part of many families and a country full of friends.A well deserved warm bath for the very very brave.

The British Veterans have arrived by ferry in a string of London cabbies,bloody marvellous I'd say!!!!!Love that!The oldest one being 94 now.

I'm sure HM won't mind when I post their arrival in Hoek of Holland here:

ANP Foto

At the Nieuwe Kerk,Amsterdam,the Requiem for Auswitsch was performed for the first time,to remember all the victims of the nazi's.

ANP Foto

Tomorrow may 5th,Liberation Day:

HE President Gauck of Germany will hold the 5th of May Lecture in the presence of HRH The Prince of Orange.

In the evening HM The Queen,HE President Gauck of Germany as well as the Dutch PM Mark Rutte will attend the traditional concert on the Amstel river here in Amsterdam to conclude the Liberation Day festivities.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom