Remembrance and Liberation Day: May 4 and 5, 2004-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The speaker referred to 'HM the King and HM the Queen, which is incorrect as it is HM Queen Máxima.

Is that so? I thought it was only "the queen" as there is only one at the moment? Beatrix reverted back to her title of princess, so there is no need to distinguish between two queens. Such a problem only arises when there is a dowager queen and the wife of the reigning king, so there is a need to make a difference. But even then Maxima as the wife of the reigning king would be the queen, no?

Is that so? I thought it was only "the queen" as there is only one at the moment? Beatrix reverted back to her title of princess, so there is no need to distinguish between two queens. Such a problem only arises when there is a dowager queen and the wife of the reigning king, so there is a need to make a difference. But even then Maxima as the wife of the reigning king would be the queen, no?

The last Queen Consort gives us a good understanding of what Maxima's current titles are and future titles may be open to her. Emma was the spouse of William III, then the regent for her daughter, Wilhelmina, before becoming "simply" the dowager queen. Her titles were:

- Her Serene Highness Princess Emma of Waldeck and Pyrmont (prior to her marriage)
- Her Majesty The Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Waldeck and Pyrmont (during her marriage)
- Her Majesty Queen Emma of the Netherlands, The Queen Regent (during her daughter's minority)
- Her Majesty Queen Emma of the Netherlands, The Queen Mother (the rest of her life)

Currently, Maxima's current title is Her Majesty The Queen of the Netherlands. If her husband doesn't one day abdicate then she may one day become The Queen Regent, The Queen Mother, and/or The Dowager Queen.

The last Queen Consort gives us a good understanding of what Maxima's current titles are and future titles may be open to her. Emma was the spouse of William III, then the regent for her daughter, Wilhelmina, before becoming "simply" the dowager queen. Her titles were:

- Her Serene Highness Princess Emma of Waldeck and Pyrmont (prior to her marriage)
- Her Majesty The Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Waldeck and Pyrmont (during her marriage)
- Her Majesty Queen Emma of the Netherlands, The Queen Regent (during her daughter's minority)
- Her Majesty Queen Emma of the Netherlands, The Queen Mother (the rest of her life)

Currently, Maxima's current title is Her Majesty The Queen of the Netherlands. If her husband doesn't one day abdicate then she may one day become The Queen Regent, The Queen Mother, and/or The Dowager Queen.

According to the official Information Maxima is not the Queen of the Netherlands but Queen Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands. She is alllowed to be called Queen.

"Will Princess Máxima become Queen?
Yes. As the King's wife, Princess Máxima will be referred to as the Queen. Her official title will be Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau."

Quote from: Frequently asked questions - Het Koninklijk Huis

According to the official Information Maxima is not the Queen of the Netherlands but Queen Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands. She is alllowed to be called Queen.

Yes. As the King's wife, Princess Máxima will be referred to as the Queen. Her official title will be Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau."

But we were talking about how Maxima will be referred to. It is obviously Their Majesties, the king and queen of the Netherlands. Not Their Majesties the king and queen Maxima of the Netherlands.

I like the idea that (if I understood that correctly) members of the Royal family have their own, personal, titles. Their spouses, if male or female, share the rank with them. In some cases you are granted a personal title on marriage, like it happened for Maxima. It did not happen eg for the husbands of Beatrix' sisters, only for their children who are blood-relations of the souverain. But as Maxima shows, a spouse can be granted a personal title. What about Laurentien? Is she a princess of the Netherlands in her own right? I not sure how their internal rank is deemed by their position in the line of succession or through closeness of relation to the souverain or through Royal decree (in a case like Maxima's)?

Then there is the official position of king and of prince/princess of Orange. The spouse of the prince or princess does not share the title, but the position and gets a personal title of prince/princess of the Netherlands. The spouse of the king is according to tradition still his queen, while the spouse of a queen regnant stays Prince of the Netherlands.

But - does Catherina-Amalia as The Princess of Orange outrank her mother? And would she outrank her father if her mother was the queen regnant?

The weather was beautifull today,a country celebrating Liberation Day!!Tonight,traditionally,the Liberation Day events will be concluded by the Concert on the Amstel River here in Amsterdam.Tonight TM King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will be in attendance,as well as HRH Princess Beatrix!!Just start to imagine the cheers from the crowds on the shores and bridges when we see this trio appear!!The first time to appear in a public function for HRH Princess Beatrix since april 30th.:flowers:

Same for me, folks. I wish I could call her "Dowager Queen Beatrix" but oh well. I wish this grand lady nothing but the best, she has been an exemplary monarch, imo.

Same for me, folks. I wish I could call her "Dowager Queen Beatrix" but oh well. I wish this grand lady nothing but the best, she has been an exemplary monarch, imo.

Hear, hear! I wish her a long and happy life going forward.

I watched part of the concert. Queen Máxima was singing along with a few (cheesy) songs. Very nice that they included princess Beatrix, I hope that they will do so in the years to come too. The King looked quite serious the whole time, he seems to feel the weight of the function already.
The concert itself: I have seen better ones in previous years. I can't stand anything from volendam (a lot of Dutch bad singers come from that village), but they included two of them. The classical songs were all the cliches: Bizet, Verdi etc.

A pity that they didn't have the evening programme on 30 April here btw. Of course it can only give place to a fraction of the spectators, but that part of Amsterdam by night looks like a fairy tale almost. And a much more intimate setting than the pageant, where even Hans van Manen's ballet performance semed somewhat 'lost'.

I watched part of the concert. Queen Máxima was singing along with a few (cheesy) songs. Very nice that they included princess Beatrix, I hope that they will do so in the years to come too. The King looked quite serious the whole time, he seems to feel the weight of the function already.
The concert itself: I have seen better ones in previous years. I can't stand anything from volendam (a lot of Dutch bad singers come from that village), but they included two of them. The classical songs were all the cliches: Bizet, Verdi etc.

A pity that they didn't have the evening programme on 30 April here btw. Of course it can only give place to a fraction of the spectators, but that part of Amsterdam by night looks like a fairy tale almost. And a much more intimate setting than the pageant, where even Hans van Manen's ballet performance semed somewhat 'lost'.

" I can't stand anything from Volendam"...:ROFLMAO:...Nope!!...not even the eel from there...

And as for the title of dear Princess Beatrix,it is back to the old routine again...Had to get used to call her Queen at the time,but the conversion is easyer.

I do hope she will attend these concerts for many years to come too!It was a festive and joyfull scene all in all,with over 13.000 thronging the bridges and canals and along the Amstel river.Beautifull,this setting is..

Last edited:
Lovely to see the royal trio,feels rather strange not writting 'Queen' before Beatrix,might take me awhile!

It's like in the "good old times" when I see the three of them together - as always a lovely family where mother and daughter-in-law seem to honestly love each other. It's just that now the son is the one who has to do the work while the others support him.:flowers:

Also noticed this on the above :previous:

How should we address the new King and Queen?

The King and Queen will be Addressed as Your Majesty. The King will be Referred to as His Majesty the King and the Queen as Her Majesty the Queen.

So perhaps that gentlleman speaker was only following the advice given on the Dutch royal site?

Remembrance and Liberation Day; May 4 and 5, 2014

On May 4th the Netherlands will commemorate the dead. On May 5th the liberation is celebrated.

Last edited:
It seems that Máxima recycled this dress that Queen Beatrix wore in the 80-ties:

What a wonderful idea! :)

Here are some more pics from today:

** anp gallery ** ppe gallery ** ad.nl: Koningspaar geniet van Bevrijdingsconcert **

** dpp gallery: Dutch King and Queen attend concert on the Amstel at liberation day ** gettyimages/wireimage **

** zimbio gallery: King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima Of The Netherlands Attend Freedom Concert in Amsterdam **

Professor Pieter van Vollenhoven attended a memorial meeting in Wageningen on the occasion of the national commemoration of the capitulations of the German and Japanese occupation forces in the Netherlands and the former Dutch East Indies in 1945:

** anp gallery **

Last edited:
Thank you for the Remembrance Day photos and videos. I've always appreciated these events and believe that the monarch should lead the ceremony.

As for the Liberation Day concert dress...well:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom