Remembrance and Liberation Day: May 4 and 5, 2004-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess Margriet, Prof. Pieter van Vollenhoven and Prince Pieter-Christiaan at a wreath-laying ceremony in Rhenen today:

** ppe gallery **

:dutchflag2::germanyflag2:

HE President Joachim Gauck of Germany held the May 5th Lecture in the Grote Kerk,Breda
this morning in the presence of HRH The Prince of Orange.

ANP Foto

courtesy ANP

Concert on the Amstel River LIVE NOW!

NOS Nieuws - Livestream

HM The Queen and HE President Gauck of Germany are in attendance,watch them,it's marvellous!:)

Thanks a lot for the link, lucien! :flowers:
I'm watching the concert right now and absolutely LOVE the music that was playing a couple of minutes ago. And of course, the one that's on right now is easily recognisable in any every part of the world (one of my favourite iconic songs from World War II). The setting is just absolutely beautiful; would have loved to be there.

A couple of pictures of Dutch royal arriving for the concert:
- Queen Beatrix, President Joachim Gauck, and Joan Leemhuis-Stout arriving for the concert
- Queen Beatrix, German President Joachim Gauck, and Joan Leemhuis-Stout, chairman of the National Liberation Day Committee

Gallery from Daylife
Gallery from Belga
Gallery from ANP

Last edited:
:previous:
I agree, the genuine display of affection was really heart-warming. At the very end of the life footage, when the Queen was on the boat, you could see thousands of people cheering on her. Queen Beatrix is really a very special woman and an absolutely brilliant Monarch/Head of State.

I'm very impressed by this solemn ceremony that is held each year in Amsterdam. What a wonderful gesture to have the WWII Veterans arrive each year to be thanked.:flowers:

Yes, that is such a moving picture of Her Majesty!
I have seen several pictures of the Queen with tears in her eyes last night.
She has attended the 5 Mei Concert for years and every year she leaves in a boat while the orchestra is playing 'We'll Meet Again'.
This year she was clearly very moved. I think there must have been many thoughts going through her head this time.
While hearing the song, she must have thought about Friso, she must have felt the outpouring of public support and maybe she already knows that this is the last time she is attending the 5 Mei Concert as Queen...
Watching her last night I couldn't shake that feeling too...

Is there any video of the May 4th Remembrance ceremony?

Yes, that is such a moving picture of Her Majesty!
I have seen several pictures of the Queen with tears in her eyes last night.
She has attended the 5 Mei Concert for years and every year she leaves in a boat while the orchestra is playing 'We'll Meet Again'.
This year she was clearly very moved. I think there must have been many thoughts going through her head this time.
While hearing the song, she must have thought about Friso, she must have felt the outpouring of public support and maybe she already knows that this is the last time she is attending the 5 Mei Concert as Queen...
Watching her last night I couldn't shake that feeling too...

Why? She hasn't indicated she will abidicate. Yes, the sadness about her son, but....

Why? She hasn't indicated she will abidicate. Yes, the sadness about her son, but....

You are right, there is no indication for that. It is just a feeling I have, nothing more, nothing less.
I was just wondering if the situation of Prince Friso was the only thing that made her so emotional.
She almost never lets her guard down like that.

Is there any video of the May 4th Remembrance ceremony?

A clip of the remembrance ceremony on 4 May 2012 (31 minutes, the royals come after 4 minutes):

Dodenherdenking Dam Amsterdam 04-05-2012.wmv - YouTube

The lady next to HM is the chairwoman of the comitee 4 and 5 May.

Before the remembrance there was a meeting in the New Church (next to the palace), which was controversial as a 15 y/o boy was selected to read a poem about his great uncle, who was a member of the SS. The poem was withdrawn due to criticism from survivors.

-----

Like Hendrik-Jan, it indeed felt almost as if the Queen was waving goodbye to her reign. But indeed, that is speculation and I am sure she has other things on her mind right now than preparing for all that.

The entire concert, HM is waving goodbye after 1h 29m:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA-zVJ1cYng&feature=relmfu
---

Very nice that president Gauck and his partner attended the concert too. He seems sympathetic and had quite a royal week(s), meeting the Swedish & Luxembourg reigning couple, as well as queen Beatrix (twice!).

Last edited:
You are right, there is no indication for that. It is just a feeling I have, nothing more, nothing less.
I was just wondering if the situation of Prince Friso was the only thing that made her so emotional.
She almost never lets her guard down like that.

I must think that the situation with her son is far more emotional than abdication. He is, technically dead, as he lives on life support and she has not been given a chance to have any closure. Anything like this would, certainly, stir great emotions.

A clip of the remembrance ceremony on 4 May 2012 (31 minutes, the royals come after 4 minutes):

Dodenherdenking Dam Amsterdam 04-05-2012.wmv - YouTube

The lady next to HM is the chairwoman of the comitee 4 and 5 May.

Before the remembrance there was a meeting in the New Church (next to the palace), which was controversial as a 15 y/o boy was selected to read a poem about his great uncle, who was a member of the SS. The poem was withdrawn due to criticism from survivors.

-----

Like Hendrik-Jan, it indeed felt almost as if the Queen was waving goodbye to her reign. But indeed, that is speculation and I am sure she has other things on her mind right now than preparing for all that.

The entire concert, HM is waving goodbye after 1h 29m:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA-zVJ1cYng&feature=relmfu
---

Very nice that president Gauck and his partner attended the concert too. He seems sympathetic and had quite a royal week(s), meeting the Swedish & Luxembourg reigning couple, as well as queen Beatrix (twice!).

No,HM didn't wave her farewell...what people read and see...loveble,yes,but this Lady isn't moving any time soon.

Some more lovely pics of may 5th:

ROYALIMAGES | ANP Foto

courtesy anp

Remembrance and Liberation Day; May 4th and 5th, 2013

Their Majesties King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will attend the Remembrance ceremony at the Nieuwe Kerk,Amsterdam may 4th and will lay a wreath at the National Monument at Dam Square after which a two minute silence will be observed at 20.00PM.

TM King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima as well as HRH Princess Beatrix will attend the Liberation Day concert on the Amstel River,Amsterdam on may 5th.Marvellous!!

After years of WA appearing in uniform at this event it seems odd to seem him dressed in a suit. I thought a new non-rank uniform with special insignia had been designed for the King to wear on accassions when uniforms would be appropriate.
Did Prince Maurits attend in his new role as adjutant to the King?

After years of WA appearing in uniform at this event it seems odd to seem him dressed in a suit. I thought a new non-rank uniform with special insignia had been designed for the King to wear on accassions when uniforms would be appropriate.
Did Prince Maurits attend in his new role as adjutant to the King?

No, Maurits did not attend :)

I was in the public today. General van Uhm (the general who was in the cortege of the king on 30 April) had quite an impressive speech, and mentioned his son who died five years ago in Afghanistan. The speaker referred to 'HM the King and HM the Queen, which is incorrect as it is HM Queen Máxima. I am sure this will happen for the next decades of the kings reign. Odd to hear the speaker talk about 'Their Majesties' (we didn't have that since 1890).

I find the whole idea that the king can't be a member of the militairy quite odd, but soit...

Last edited:
I was in the public today. General van Uhm (the general who was in the cortege of the king on 30 April) had quite an impressive speech, and mentioned his son who died five years ago in Afghanistan. The speaker referred to 'HM the King and HM the Queen, which is incorrect as it is HM Queen Máxima. I am sure this will happen for the next decades of the kings reign. Odd to hear the speaker talk about 'Their Majesties' (we didn't have that since 1890).

I find the whole idea that the king can't be a member of the militairy quite odd, but soit...

Luck you Marengo,did you manage to see Their Majesties. It was strange seeing Beatrix present for the first year is such a long,long time!

Peter van Uhm striked the core of may 4th.Very very impressive indeed!!
It was quite unusual there was applaus after a speech on may 4th,but this
speech was one of a kind by a one of a kind guy.Everybody was moved.

More from Amsterdam:

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1527216

His brother,General-Major Mark van Uhm,attended the Remembrance ceremony at the Grebbeberg,Rhenen,the venue of fierce fighting between Dutch and the invading German troops in may 1940.HRH Princess Margriet,Pieter van Vollenhoven en HH Prince Pieter-Christiaan were in attendance at Rhenen as well.

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1527219

Courtesy ANP

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom