The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Nobility

Question Religion and Religious Matters of the Dutch RF

I've not been able to find out in my poking around if the Bonaparte King Louis of Holland remained Catholic as monarch? I assume that if he did he was the only Catholic monarch the Dutch have had (since independence from Spain of course). Also, what exactly are the laws about religion and marriage with the Dutch monarchy? I know the parliament has to approve all marriages but is there a law about the monarch having to be a member of a certain church (Dutch Reformed?) and are there any laws against Orange royals marrying Catholics and keeping their royal rights like in Great Britain? I know some did and it did not make them very popular but I could never find out if this changed anything legally for them.

King Louis also interests me in general. It seems rather out of the ordinary that an imposed foreign monarch would become so popular and so identify with his own people that he would oppose his own family over it.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:34 AM
Majesty

Cher Louis remained a catholic.There are no laws saying a Monarch has to be this or that denomination,
but tradition has it that the Oranges are protestant.

This is not Britain.The Heir,Alexander is married to a catholic Maxima,
Prince Maurits married a catholic Princess Marilene and they are still in line until Alexander takes over.
We don't take to way out of time medieval rules and regulations regarding faith and our Monarchy.

Louis Napoleon already has his own thread here.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 AM
Nobility

I'm certainly aware the Netherlands are not Britain, the Dutch have long been known for greater religious tolerance but there were once similar laws against Catholics which is why I asked the question about what exactly the laws are. So, the decision of the Prince of Orange and Maxima to raise their children Protestant was totally their own decision and had no bearing on their future and the throne?

I ask because the others are not in direct line of succession. I was not sure if this happened on its own or if there is a block against a future King or Queen of the Netherlands being Catholic.

I did notice the other thread on Louis but as it directs to the French board and my primary question concerned the Netherlands I posted it here. If I erred, have some mercy on a new member :)
Old 04-01-2009, 04:32 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I am not sure how liberal the religious views were in 1800, I suppose that the Dutch did not have any other choice than to accept a catholic king, since they were in no position to refuse him. Though Holland was indeed more tolertant than other countries in religion the tolerance is usually somewhat overrated, one of the reason of the split between the north and the south in 1830 for example was that the north was afraid to be ruled by catholics.

-
Since the question relates to two topics I will do the following:
1) - Copy the posts to the thread on Louis Bonaparte in the Bonaparte subforum.
2) - Rename this thread 'Religion & religious matters of the Dutch RF'.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Majesty

Religious matters had its restrictions here since the Reformation.Catholics could have their masses,but fe couldn't be a member of parliament.Until the early 1870's catholics were more or less discriminated and it wasn't till then that the Roman Catholic Church in
The Netherlands was allowed to appoint a bishop and install a bishopric in The Netherlands.First time in almost 300 years.

At that time it would have been impossible to any of our Royals to marry a catholic,the majority here being protestant,reformed and
holyer then thou,God fearing and proclaiming hell and damnation,(how very christian...) would have caused nothing short of a revolution here.