Queen Juliana's Funeral: March 30, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dennism

Majesty
City
East of the sun and west of the moon
Country
United States
Beloved Dutch queen mother dies

The former Dutch queen, Juliana, has died at the age of 94 after a prolonged period of illness.

Juliana, the mother of the reigning Queen Beatrix, ruled for 32 years until her abdication in 1980.

She oversaw a period of dramatic social change, taking in the end of empire and the evolution of her country into a leading voice for global liberalism.

She had been unwell for some time and had not participated in public life for a number of years.

She died in her sleep at 0550 local time in the Soestdijk palace where she had lived most of her life.

'Bicycling monarch'

The BBC's Geraldine Coughlan in The Hague says Princess Juliana endeared herself to her nation during her long life.

Known as the "bicycling monarch", she shopped at the local supermarket and sent her children to state school.

Her popularity prompted the Labour Party to drop its demand to turn the country into a republic, our correspondent says.

Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende made a televised address after the death was announced and said the nation had lost a mother.

Princess Juliana gave up the title of queen when she abdicated in favour of her daughter Beatrix in 1980.

But the Dutch continue to celebrate their national holiday on Juliana's birthday, 30 April, which remains known as Queen's Day.

video

Here is the in Memoriam page on the Royal House`s website. You can send condolences as well.

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/juliana/www/index.php?Lang=EN

:heart: In loving memory of HRH Princess Juliana ~ April 30, 1909 - March 20, 2004. :heart:

HRH Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, formerly Queen of the Netherlands, died in her sleep on Satuday morning 20 March at 5:50 CET at Palace Soestdijk, aged 94. Princess Juliana is mother of the current Queen Beatrix, Princess Irene, Princess Margriet and Princess Christina, and the wife of Prince Bernhard. All of them, except Princess Christina who landed on the airport that morning at 08:00, was with Princess Juliana when she passed away. Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, Crown Princess Máxima and their daughter Princess Catharina-Amalia was in Lech on skiing holiday and returned immediately.

Her Royal Highness Juliana Louise Emma Marie Wilhelmina, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Duchess of Mecklenburg, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld was Queen of the Netherlands from 1948 (when her mother abdicated) to 1980 when she herself abdicated in favour of her eldest daughter, Queen Beatrix.

Queen Wilhelmin (Juliana's mother) & Princess Juliana as a child

Last edited by a moderator:
These royals have been confirmed to attend Princess Juliana's state funeral tomorrow.

King Albert II & Queen Paola of Belgium
Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik of Denmark
Prince Akishino & Princess Kiko of Japan
Princess Sarvath El Hassan of Jordan
Prince Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein
Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg
Prince Albert of Monaco
Prince Moulay Rachid of Morocco
Crown Prince Haakon of Norway
King Juan Carlos I & Queen Sofia of Spain
Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn of Thailand
King Carl XVI Gustaf, Queen Silvia & Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
The Duke of Edinburgh of the United Kingdom
Queen Anne-Marie & Prince Nikolaos of Greece (non-reigning)

Also, the Aga Khan and his daughter Zahra Aga Khan will attend.

Where is W.Alexander and Maxima?

Originally posted by didem@Mar 29th, 2004 - 8:29 am
Where is W.Alexander and Maxima?
In the funeral guest list or in general?

I think they are not on the guest list for the funeral because it is a "given" that they will be in attendance as Queen Juliana's grandson and his wife, and the future King and Queen of the Netherlands. Just as it is likely a "given" that Queen Juliana's daughters and their children will be in attendance.

Who's the little girl with Prince Pieter Christiaan in the picture? Thanks!

50,000 bid farewell to Princess Juliana

29 March 2004

AMSTERDAM — Almost 50,000 people paid their last respects to Princess Juliana in the Noordeinde Palace in The Hague last week before the doors to the chapel closed to the public on Sunday night.

The palace was open to the public from 9am-10pm on 25-28 March and about 17,000 people visited the chapel on the first two days. Saturday saw 14,000 visitors, but Sunday was the busiest day as 18,000 people filed past the former queen's coffin.

The line-up for the palace chapel was closed at 10pm on Sunday, but 2,000 people still standing in line were able to enter the chapel and later sign the condolence register. The last person in line walked through the chapel at about midnight.

Anyone who wished to pay their last respects to the 94-year-old Juliana had to wait about two hours in line on Sunday night. The evening was twice as busy as the afternoon, a police spokesman said.

Volunteers from the Red Cross were on duty to assist the public. Scouts and girl guides distributed chocolate milk. The Hague public transport authority HTM provided free buses to and from the palace and Central Station.

Princess Juliana died in her sleep at Soestdijk Palace surrounded by much of her immediate family on 20 March and will be interred in the Dutch royal family tomb in the Nieuwe Kerk in Delft on Tuesday.

Representatives of 15 foreign royal families will attend the state funeral, as will various Dutch government ministers and other dignitaries. About 1,800 invitations have been issued, public news service NOS reported.

The Government Information Service RVD has confirmed that Juliana's 92-year-old husband, Prince Bernhard, is fit enough to attend the funeral, but it remains uncertain whether their granddaughter, Princess Margarita — who is locked in a bitter dispute with the royal family — will also attend.

At least 350 journalists have registered with the RVD to report on the funeral, but only a very restricted number will be allowed to enter the church during the ceremony. Photographers will line the procession

Do you know why Marliene, Annette, Laurentien and Mabel did not attend? Laurentien is the only one I can think of that might have an excuse, after just giving birth a week ago.

Originally posted by Gabriella@Mar 29th, 2004 - 7:42 pm
Do you know why Marliene, Annette, Laurentien and Mabel did not attend? Laurentien is the only one I can think of that might have an excuse, after just giving birth a week ago.
I am not quite sure of the reasons for the absence of Marilene or Mabel. Annette is heavily pregnant and due in June, so perhaps it might've been uncomfortable for her and she is resting up for the funeral itself? :( (I remember Marilene, then heavily pregnant with Lucas, attending Prince Claus' funeral and it looked quite exhausting.) And Laurentien, as you mentioned, just had a baby little more than a week ago. Perhaps Marilene is home with her young kids.

Queen Mother Juliana's Funeral

Queen Mother Juliana's Funeral is today 09:45
The funeral of Her Royal Highness Princess Juliana of the Netherlands on Tuesday 30 March 2004 will be attended by members of fifteen foreign royal houses. The following reigning European royal houses will be represented: Belgium, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Norway, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom. The reigning royal houses of Japan, Jordan, Morocco and Thailand will also be represented. Queen Anne-Marie (Greece) and the Aga Khan will also attend.
Reigning royal houses:
BELGIUM King Albert II and Queen Paola
DENMARK Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik
JAPAN Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko
JORDAN Princess Sarvath El Hassan
LIECHTENSTEIN Prince Hans-Adam II
LUXEMBOURG Grand Duke Jean
MONACO Prince Albert
MOROCCO Prince Moulay Rachid
NORWAY Crown Prince Haakon
SPAIN King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofia
THAILAND Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn
SWEDEN King Carl XVI Gustaf, Queen Silvia and Crown Princess Victoria
UNITED KINGDOM The Duke of Edinburgh

Other guests:
The Aga Khan and his daughter Zahra Aga Khan
Queen Anne-Marie and Prince Nikolaos (Greece)

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/article9244361.ece

What an interesting service. I did not see all of it due to video problems and slumber. It was nice though. Always a joy to hear "Simple Gifts". Beautiful music throughout the ceremony in fact. I recognized a good bit of the Dutch. So close to English and German. The whole crypt part was interesting. Also it was nice to see all of the people on the processional route and the various people marching. A large crowd showed up. Young and old. Such pageantry on display.

I have seen just a few pictures (not able to see all the above posted ones yet), and I found the white outfits of the Queen's daughter behind her coffin quite striking. I know the Queen specifically requested a white funeral such as this, and that it has some historical context, but could anyone share more about the significance or meaning of a white funeral? And also, why it meant to much to Queen Juliana to have one herself?

Thank you in advance.

as far as i know the white signifies the after life in which wilhelmina, her husband, the duke of mecklenburg and also juliana believed in. they were convinced that life continues, its just a different life. they expressed that there is no need to be scared of death, nor to mourn it for an extended period. the white symbolises this belief into the future, a bright, not sad future.

also: there was little magic involved in the schedule today of the Belgian royals. apparently they welcomed the finish head of state in the morning in brussels and then took a plane to the delft to be at the service. not magic, perfect organisation.

Eighteen months after the House of Orange mourned the loss of Queen Beatrix's husband Prince Claus, the Dutch royal family once again gathered to grieve, this time it was at the funeral of the monarch's beloved mother, Princess Juliana.

It was a sunny but sombre day on Tuesday, as the 94-year-old matriarch, who died on March 20, was laid to rest after a solemn ceremony attended by royals and dignitaries from around the globe.

The morning began with a ceremonial procession carrying Princess Juliana's coffin on its final journey from Noordeinde Palace in the Hague, where the late royal had been lying in state for four days, to the Nieuwe Kerk – or New Church – in Delft. As many as 50,000 mourners had paid their last respects to the former queen over the weekend, entering the chapel and signing messages in the condolence register.

Bells rang out in honour of the queen mother as her flag-draped coffin was removed from Noordeinde and placed in a horse-drawn hearse, which was bedecked with a golden crown, and, at Princess Juliana's request, white ostrich plumes on each corner. Thousands stood along the 13 kilometre route, lined with a 9,000-strong honour guard, as the cortege, including carriages carrying Queen Beatrix and her three sisters, as well Princess Juliana's grandchildren, slowly progressed through the streets.

Prince Bernhard, Princess Juliana's ageing husband, who attended the ceremony despite his own failing health, was also among 1,800 invitees who gathered at Nieuwe Kerk for a moving one-hour service to bid a final farewell to the princess. Members of 15 other royal families, including the houses of Sweden, Denmark, Jordan, Spain, Norway and Japan, were also in attendance to honour the much-loved queen mother, who abdicated her throne to daughter Queen Beatrix in 1980 after a 32-year reign.

Princess Juliana, who died in her sleep at home at Soestdijk palace, is to be buried in the church's 400-year-old crypt, next to her parents, Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Hendrik.

http://www.hello-magazine.com/royalty/2004...liana-dop6a.jpg

*Image edited to link by administrator.*

Thanks for all of the pictures, everyone. I tried to get up and watch it online, but I had problems with bandwidth and I was so tired that after an hour or so of watching, I gave up and went to bed.

I thought the picture of the Dutch Royal Family with their backs to the camera was very moving. I think it symbolizes a "let's move forward" attitude.

By the way, thanks for all the pictures.

Thanks for all of the photos. They are great.

The former Dutch monarch, Princess Juliana, was interred in the royal family crypt in the Nieuwe Kerk in Delft on Tuesday.

An estimated 60,000 people lined the procession route to witness her casket being brought in a carriage with full ceremony and honour guard from Paleis Noordeinde in The Hague earlier in the day.

Princess Juliana, who reigned in the Netherlands from 1948 to 1980, was the 45th member of the House of Orange to be interred in the Nieuwe Kerk, newspaper De Volkskrant reported.

As she was taken into the crypt, she regained her official title as queen, a title she relinquished when she abdicated in favour of her daughter Beatrix in 1980.

Her 92-year-old husband, Prince Bernhard, walking arm-in-arm with his daughters, Queen Beatrix and Princess Irene, followed the coffin as it was carried though the church to the tomb.

The immediate family

They were accompanied by Juliana's other daughters, Princess Margriet and Princess Christina, and her husband, Pieter van Vollenhoven.

Earlier, the ceremony began with Princess Christina singing, It's a Gift to be Simple. Her mother had made it known she wanted her daughter to sing at her funeral.

Vicar W. Hudig-Semeijns de Vries van Doesburgh recited the blessing over the former queen in words from the Bible, having earlier asked the congregation to formulate their own blessing for Juliana in their hearts.

"In that way the old biblical words will be augmented by the power of your intentions and the love of her family and her people," the female vicar said.

Princess Juliana had her own "spiritual convictions" which were not dictated by church dogma or laws.

Freedom of worship and tolerance were self-evident to Juliana, Hudig said. During her life she learned about Christianity, Eastern wisdom, Judaism, Islamic mysticism and modern spiritual movements.

"She did not sit in one holy house alone, but preferred to go on a voyage of discovery. She was convinced that several paths led to the one God."

On the way from The Hague

The vicar recalled the scandal Juliana caused in one of her last public appearance when she — a protestant — took communion during the Catholic wedding of her grandson, Prins Maurits and Marilene.

It was not the "whim of an eccentric old dame", the vicar said, but a conscious act as she understood "communion literally means community — community between people of different churches was her deepest held wish".

Also on Tuesday, former Dutch Prime Minister Ruud Lubbers revealed that Princess Juliana had approached him to express concerns about the readiness of her grandson, Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, to take the throne after Beatrix.

She was worried that Willem-Alexander, then a college student, was not showing the same interests as she did at that age. Lubbers, now the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, said he reassured the queen that her grandson would make a good king when the time came

I did not see any pictures of Prince Maurits, son of Princess Margriet. Although I did see pictures of his wife Princess Marilene accompanied by her brother in law. I thought that as the eldest son of Margriet, Maurits would be in the carriage with Willem and others?

Originally posted by karolinabraganza@Mar 30th, 2004 - 3:32 pm
and here the couple that according to Getty has magical powers, receiving the FInnish head of State in Brussels while at the same time attending the Dutch funeral... Queen Paola and King Albert of Belgium
:eek: :shock: Yes, it is true! To be magical is Magic! Where did they put our President - and her husband - when they were in the funeral themselves! :cry:

Originally posted by Alexandra@Mar 31st, 2004 - 8:47 am
:eek: :shock: Yes, it is true! To be magical is Magic! Where did they put our President - and her husband - when they were in the funeral themselves! :cry:
Crown Prince Phillippe and Crown Princess Mathilde could've "entertained" the Finnish president. Or the couple could very well have been resting up for the gala that night. I doubt that with state visits like this the King and Queen are expected to "entertain" the visiting head of state and his/her wife/husband every second of the visit.

Originally posted by Alexandria@Mar 30th, 2004 - 3:22 pm
I have seen just a few pictures (not able to see all the above posted ones yet), and I found the white outfits of the Queen's daughter behind her coffin quite striking. I know the Queen specifically requested a white funeral such as this, and that it has some historical context, but could anyone share more about the significance or meaning of a white funeral? And also, why it meant to much to Queen Juliana to have one herself?

Thank you in advance.
The funeral of the late king Baudeoin of the Belgians (died in 1993) had also a lot of white accents. For example Baudeoins wife Fabiola wore a white dress. The Belgian court announced that they had chosen for white because it reflects hope.

The white was a nice touch, and everyone was dressed very appropriately. It was great seeing her family there.

It was nice to see that Prince Bernard was well enough to attend his wife's funeral. I know there was a lot of speculation the past few days about whether or not he would be able to attend.

I do have a nickpick however. I was not particuarily fond of Maxima's outfit. It seemed a little out of place. Funerals are not a place to be flashy, and I thought all of the ruffles were alittle inappropriate. I think it would have been better to just wear something a little more subdued and simple. Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by Gabriella@Mar 31st, 2004 - 7:02 pm
It was nice to see that Prince Bernard was well enough to attend his wife's funeral. I know there was a lot of speculation the past few days about whether or not he would be able to attend.
I had read this, too, and was disappointed that he might not be able to go because of his frail health and the grief and sadness over losing his wife taking its own toll on the Prince. In the pictures I saw of the funeral he did look quite frail. There is one picture of him in which his daughters Beatrix and Irene help him into his seat at the cathedral that is particularly striking in a sad way. It reminds me of the fraility of life and how difficult it must be to lose someone whom you are so close to and have been through so much with through so many years: the birth of their daughters and watching each of them grow up and get married and bring their own children into the world; the marriage of their grandchildren and subsequent births of their great-grandchildren, watching Beatrix become Queen and reign in her own unique way, and sadly, the deteriorating years of Queen Juliana's life as she suffered with Alzheimers.

Back
Top Bottom