Queen Juliana's Funeral: March 30, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Gabriella@Apr 1st, 2004 - 12:02 am
It was nice to see that Prince Bernard was well enough to attend his wife's funeral. I know there was a lot of speculation the past few days about whether or not he would be able to attend.

I do have a nickpick however. I was not particuarily fond of Maxima's outfit. It seemed a little out of place. Funerals are not a place to be flashy, and I thought all of the ruffles were alittle inappropriate. I think it would have been better to just wear something a little more subdued and simple. Just my thoughts.
I agree that funerals should not be flashy, but Princess Juliana was nitpicky herself, and did not really want for anyone to go around looking school mormish. This was one of the reasons why she requested a white funeral as white is a symbol of hope and the happiness that one will feel in the presence of God. I really think that she would have liked Maxima's touch of white which she requested from family members.

It was an interesting outfit. It was different (even somewhat eccentric), but somehow elegant. It was one of those outfits that most people would look extremely ridiculous wearing, but I found that Maximavreally wore it quite well and looked elegant. It certainly wasn't my particular taste, but if I step aside from it, I am amazed at how she looked. But, enough about that. I think that I discussed enough fashion from a funeral, nonetheless. Regardless of what anyone wore, it was hardly about that in particular. It was a wonderful celebration of a woman's life.

HRH Prince Benard looks so devestated. I know there was rumors that the marriage wasn't entirely perfect, but you can see how much the (former) Queen meant to him in those pictures.

Thanks to everyone who's posted the pictures.
To all our Dutch posters, we're very sorry about your loss. She was a facinating woman. Does anyone have any stories of HM that they'd like to share?

some good pictures of maxima etc at the funeral. here the link, for those who havent visited the website yet. i appologise in advance in case the link has been posted above.

www.fotosmulders.com, treefword 'maxima', 'mabel', 'juliana', etc.

Originally posted by karolinabraganza@Apr 5th, 2004 - 6:39 am
some good pictures of maxima etc at the funeral. here the link, for those who havent visited the website yet. i appologise in advance in case the link has been posted above.

www.fotosmulders.com, treefword 'maxima', 'mabel', 'juliana', etc.
Thanks! :flower:

Here is the link with the English version of www.fotosmulders.com.

Go to link, go to 'name' and search with 'At least 1 of the keywords in the captions' on. Search for example: Juliana, Beatrix, Maxima. It are very nice pictures. :)

Link to pictures

Love the photograph's thanks for posting them , I really like how queen Beatrice looks at her mother in those pictures!! where they close???

Mixed feelings

sm1939 said:
Love the photograph's thanks for posting them , I really like how queen Beatrice looks at her mother in those pictures!! where they close???

Of course Queen Beatrix and Queen Juliana had a mother-daughter relationship, but in almost all biographies, articles and accounts it becomes clear how different they were.

It is generally acknowledged that the tandem Prince Bernhard-Princess Beatrix were in charge at the Court. In the Greet Hofmans Affair and around the weddings of Princess Irene and Princess Margriet, the two eldest daughters chose side with 'pappie' which caused a deep rift between the Juliana-side and the Bernhard-side. Princess Margriet and Princess Christina were in the Juliana-side.

In my very personal opinion there was not that much love left between Queen Juliana and her eldest daughter. Also now, in the 27 years of her kingship, Queen Beatrix is in everything, even in looks, first and foremost Prince Bernhard's daughter.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Henri M.

That was the most simple funeral of the three, in terms of protocol (no formal civilian wear like Claus, no formal military wear like Bernhard but just daily wear).

The white veils added to the purple hearse were awful. It transferred it into a staty bed on wheels. Also the Reverend Minister stressing "how common" Juliana was was completely ignoring the fact that she was of full royal birth from both parents, had double of Beatrix' staff and palaces and was not afraid to wear even more jewels on gala evenings than Máxima ever has done. It was a too easy narrowing to the Juliana known from the latest year: a granny in a flowery dress.

That was the most simple funeral of the three, in terms of protocol (no formal civilian wear like Claus, no formal military wear like Bernhard but just daily wear).

The white veils added to the purple hearse were awful. It transferred it into a staty bed on wheels. Also the Reverend Minister stressing "how common" Juliana was was completely ignoring the fact that she was of full royal birth from both parents, had double of Beatrix' staff and palaces and was not afraid to wear even more jewels on gala evenings than Máxima ever has done. It was a too easy narrowing to the Juliana known from the latest year: a granny in a flowery dress.

And that for they only of the three who had actually been a reigning Monarch, unlike the 2 Consorts.

Most likely the royal family has followed Queen Juliana's own instructions: "No fuss, I repeat: no fuss at my funeral."

Or she simply knew to go all out when it was necessary and kept it simple for the rest, unlike Máxima - with whom it's almost impossible to keep it simple. Up to now, Juliana has been the most relatable of Dutch monarches and I like her the most.

Or she simply knew to go all out when it was necessary and kept it simple for the rest, unlike Máxima - with whom it's almost impossible to keep it simple. Up to now, Juliana has been the most relatable of Dutch monarches and I like her the most.

Her reign was characterized by scandals which did hit the monarcgy to the core.. Her role as CEO of The Firm was poor as her successor inherited -by all accounts- a chaos and had to reorganize the complete Court organization. When one sees videos and reports of royal events since 1970, onwards let us say, the declining standards, the lack of an eye for details and a general sloppiness in ceremony, decorum and protocol is visible. That a lady already looked like a granny at 50, dressing in formless flowery sleeveless C&A dresses exposing flabby arms is not what I relate to a head of state in general and to a Queen particularly. But it seems opinions differ on that.

Her reign was characterized by scandals which did hit the monarcgy to the core.. Her role as CEO of The Firm was poor as her successor inherited -by all accounts- a chaos and had to reorganize the complete Court organization. When one sees videos and reports of royal events since 1970, onwards let us say, the declining standards, the lack of an eye for details and a general sloppiness in ceremony, decorum and protocol is visible. That a lady already looked like a granny at 50, dressing in formless flowery sleeveless C&A dresses exposing flabby arms is not what I relate to a head of state in general and to a Queen particularly. But it seems opinions differ on that.

At heart she was not a monarch, and I think that is why you have difficulty with her. She certainly did not meet your expectations, and that is okay. Different people, different tastes.

Is it really appropriate to argue about the appearance of the Head of State in a thread about her funeral?

Back
Top Bottom