Princess Irene of The Netherlands, Current Events Part 1 (July 2003 - )

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does Carlos Hugo Klynstra have any relationship with his grandmother or aunts?

Does the rest of the family speak with a similar Dutch accent? I was surprised at how different her English accent is from her sisters'. Beatrix says some words with a slight North American intonation -- maybe owing to her years in Canada? -- but she sounds more European overall than Irene does. Margriet's accent is more like Beatrix's.

Somehow, Willem-Alexander seems to have the most American-sounding accent to me. Interesting, as I don't think he ever went to school here.

Indeed,but he went to school here!Plus the numerous contacts with numerous people in numerous places of the globe.plus the talk of pilots and the usual "english" here unless one loves to pha pha pha a lot,which he doesn't.

Does Carlos Hugo Klynstra have any relationship with his grandmother or aunts?

It doesn't look like he has any relationship with his paternal relatives. His grandmother talks about her 9 grandchildren (3 by Carlos, 2 by Margarita, 2 by Jaime and 2 by Carolina), so excludes him in her counting.

that is rather unfortunate but then we don't know the ins and outs of the relationship or family history.

that is rather unfortunate but then we don't know the ins and outs of the relationship or family history.

What we do know is that shortly after the birth Carlos declared that he respected Brigitte Klynstra's 'independent decision to want to become a mother' but that there would not be any (legal) family relationship with the child (now young adult). Two years after the birth Brigitte ensured that Carlos was legally named as Hugo's father (which wasn't included in his birth certificate). Since Hugo turned 18, Carlos has been legally fighting Hugo in all possible ways to avoid him gaining the 'prince de Bourbon de Parme' title. Currently, it seems inevitable that Hugo will become a prince de Bourbon de Parme but, so far, there is still no 'Royal Decree' to make that official.

All in all, that doesn't sound as an environment for positive relationships with other paternal relatives. Princess Irene never included Hugo among her grandchildren (when counting); and I don't see that changing.

Last edited:
Wow, Carlos is quite the jerk.

I am not sure if that is the case. In 2016 information was published from which it seems that the mother actively blocked any contact between father and son. Some claimed that it was out of revenge, for the father refusing to marry her. The present duke was allowed to contribute financially, which he did. There were a few meetings between the present Duke and Carlos Hugo Klynstra -who goes by the name Hugo in the mid. 2010s.

Thank you for the clarification.

Has King Willem-Alexander signed the decree confirming Hugo's name change to (Zijne Koninklijke Hoogheid Carlos Hugo Roderik Sybren prins de Bourbon de Parme) and entry to the Dutch Nobility?

Has King Willem-Alexander signed the decree confirming Hugo's name change to (Zijne Koninklijke Hoogheid Carlos Hugo Roderik Sybren prins de Bourbon de Parme) and entry to the Dutch Nobility?

There is no such Royal Decree and on the website of the Hoge Raad van Adel (the High Council of Nobility) there is no mention of it either. It is Carlos himself who has to start a procedure to be incorporated into the Adelslijst (List of Nobility).

It is also possible that a Royal Decree simply is not published in full in the State Gazette but is only mentioned by number. Maybe that happened with Carlos' incorporation.

Last edited:

I suspect he already did so, without any publicity.

There is no such Royal Decree and on the website of the Hoge Raad van Adel (the High Council of Nobility) there is no mention of it either. It is Carlos himself who has to start a procedure to be incorporated into the Adelslijst (List of Nobility).

It is also possible that a Royal Decree simply is not published in full in the State Gazette but is only mentioned by number. Maybe that happened with Carlos' incorporation.

I think it has already happened, but only the necessities. So actually the latter thing that you mention.

I suspect he already did so, without any publicity.

I think it has already happened, but only the necessities. So actually the latter thing that you mention.

Maybe there is no Royal Decree needed at all. Hugo Klynstra wants to be known with his father's surname, which comes with a title and a form of address.

Maybe it is enough to have an Act on the change of the surname added to his birth certificate in the municipal registers. After all, any child older than 16 can request to be known with the name of one of the parents.

Maybe. We could only hope for the best. But the question now is, since the Dutch law and the royal decree's scope is for Hugo to have de Bourbon de Parme as surname with accompanying style and rank and an entry to the Dutch nobility, has it been made known if he will also get the same treatment in the House of Bourbon Parma considering their own house rules and regulations per se (of which the Dutch law has no access to)?

Maybe. We could only hope for the best. But the question now is, since the Dutch law and the royal decree's scope is for Hugo to have de Bourbon de Parme as surname with accompanying style and rank and an entry to the Dutch nobility, has it been made known if he will also get the same treatment in the House of Bourbon Parma considering their own house rules and regulations per se (of which the Dutch law has no access to)?

No, we have effectually different Houses now:

By Dutch law:
The princely House de Bourbon de Parme in the Nobility of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
Carlos and his four children
Jaime and his two children
Margarita
Carolina

For Dutch law Carlos is ZKH prins Carlos de Bourbon de Parme

By House law, titles in pretension:
The Royal House Bourbon-Parma (Prince of Bourbon, Duke of Parma and Piacenza etc.)
Carlos and his three youngest children
Jaime and his two children
Margarita
Carolina

For Spanish law Carlos is just Don Carlos de Borbón-Parma y Orange-Nassau, unless they refer to him by his Dutch style (el príncipe Carlos) or by his pretended title (el Duque de Parma)

Last edited:
Princess Irene has incurred a concussion from a skiing accident. Her spokeswoman told the press that Irene was on the slopes in Switzerland last Thursday when another skier bumped into her hard. Thankfully she was wearing a helmet at that time. Her agenda had to be cleared for the next weeks, so next week she won't attend the opening of a forest in Alphen aan den Rijn that is named after her.

** ad.nl: Prinses Irene (80) gewond na botsing met andere skiër **

The symbolic first trees will be planted in her honour, in the to be developed Irene Forest (which already has several thousands of trees). The Irene Forest is one of the new forests in the Netherlands to fight climate change and rising temperatures. Now her son, the Duke of Parma, will attend the symbolic first trees to be planted.

Princess Irene as Founder and Chairwoman of the Nature College has shared a video message about the current Corona crisis. She talks about the fears people have at the moment and concludes:

"So we really have to do this together. Just as we work through this crisis together. Because we now know for ourselves how closely we are connected to each other, with the animals, with the forests, with the plants, with the elements"

"We have put too much pressure on nature with all its consequences"

"We can conclude from that that we should live in a different way. With respect and gratitude and more modesty in the space that people occupy"

"You can now start what you want by making decisions now. Let love be your inner drive and compass":

Last edited:
How wonderful to see the little princesses and prince. Especially Jaime and Viktoria's daughters are normally not in the picture (which is great for them but still it's nice to get a glimpse into their lives once in a while).

I wonder why Margarita didn't bring her daughters; they probably preferred to stay home or had school - as they are a bit older (Julia 13; Paola 10) - compared to Carlos' (Luisa 9, Cecilia 8, Carlos 5) and Jaime's children (Zita 7; Gloria 5).

Last edited:
Nice pics of the Princess and her grandchildren. Little Prince Carlos can't deny who his father is

Is there any news about Princess Irene these days? I don't think I've seen anything about her in more than a year. I wonder if she's still involved in the Nature College in South Africa.

Princess Irene of the Netherlands

Is there any news about Princess Irene these days? I don't think I've seen anything about her in more than a year. I wonder if she's still involved in the Nature College in South Africa.

For years now, princess Irene of the Netherlands has been private person, only on royal occasions will the princess be publicly in front of the cameras.

She has released books, given Ted talks, and appeared at seminars, so I was curious if she is still doing those things.

Had a quick search and found her as ambassador for 'grandparents for climate', this article is fairly recent
this is the google translated link (hope it works)
https://grootoudersvoorhetklimaat-n..._sl=nl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp
original link
https://grootoudersvoorhetklimaat.n...eurs/ambassadeur-irene-van-lippe-biesterfeld/

The link worked well, thank you! I'm glad to see Princess Irene continues to pursue her efforts in environmental and humanitarian initiatives.

She's looking good! And, it's nice to see her with Margarita, who must be going through a difficult time, given her divorce.

They were attending princess Margriet's birthday party.

Princess Irene has participated in a documentary 'Alledaagse Waardigheid' (Everyday Dignity) by the filmmaker Ida Does. The documentary talks about the book of the same name by Prof. Philomena Essed, which was presented to the princess 40 years ago. It was the first book about racism in the Netherlands.

The documentary will be shown on the NPO on October 19th.

https://www.rtlboulevard.nl/royalty...ses-irene-documentaire-over-racisme-nederland

Back
Top Bottom