The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
I think the Foreign Office does not allow The Queen to attend any weddings or funerals outside GB.You know in Japan, i read a book about the Royals it tell that Princess Masako can not do anything.There are always some nanny to go with her to know what she does, how she walks( It means that does she walks as she is Royals).And if she wants to phone to her parents she must ask the Office one or two weeks before.
I think the cases of Japan and Great Britain are very different and unfair comparisons. The situation in Japan, as it pertains to Masako, is also the cause of much discussion and debate at present having caused much distress for the Crown Princess and sparked quite a defence from Crown Prince Naruhito.

I think that while Queen Elizabeth does have individuals who guide her in terms of protocol, ultimately she makes many decisions herself, and even if there was a stipulation that she can't (which I don't believe to be true) attend events outside of Great Britain, if the Queen felt truly strongly about attending something she could defy protocol and attend the event -- she is the Queen afterall!

I don't quite understand either, however, why such a stipulation (if it exists) would only bar the Queen from weddings and funerals. These two events seem to me to be occasions where protcol is the most straightforward -- the royal house "hosting" the event determines the dress code and in the case of a funeral you show the proper respect and at weddings you show joy and happiness for the couple starting out their married life.

It's one thing for the Queen to not have attended because of prior commitments but surely the death of at least Juliana would've warranted an appearance by Queen Elizabeth.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Although she is The Queen,Alexandria, but in GB,the Monarch now does not have any power.It's only the title,no power now,the power is in Blair's hand.

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 12-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
Although she is The Queen,Alexandria, but in GB,the Monarch now does not have any power.It's only the title,no power now,the power is in Blair's hand.
HMQueenElizabethII, I'm not referring to political power or any sort of governing power. During her entire reign so far the Queen has reigned through many prime ministers, some of whom she got along with better than others. Her standard protocol does not change with each new prime minister who moves into 10 Downing Street.

The protocol that guides the Queen is likely protcol that guided her own mother when she was queen, with some changes along the way in the name of keeping up with the times. Therefore, protocol and what guides the Queen on what she can and cannot do in terms of her royal duties and commitments is predominantly independent of politics.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Ok,sorry.Because i only do not want they complain about The Queen.She has done a lot she can do, do not complain her so much.We should have a respect.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 12-01-2006, 06:35 AM
Majesty

Today is the second anniversary of the death of HRH Prince Bernhard.

http://www.royalimages.nl/theme/theme.asp?themeid=113
Old 12-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Majesty

Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of the death of the Veteran of Orange.

Nieuwsberichten Royalblog.nl: Eerbetoon aan 'Veteraan van Oranje'

Courtesy hja's Royalblog.