Prince Bernhard Passes Away: 1 December 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some pictures of today, medals of Prince Bernhard etc.

Attachments

• 2096277.jpg
    2096277.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 675
  • 2096281.jpg
    2096281.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 636
  • 2096269.jpg
    2096269.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 661
First pictures of today. Ministers and other politicians, ambassadors and officials say fare-well.

Pictures: Prince Willem-Alexander, Prince Maurits, Prince Pieter-Christiaan and Pieter van Vollenhoven (husband of Princess Margriet) in uniform as guards.

Attachments

• 2097049.jpg
    2097049.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 24,817
  • 2097051.jpg
    2097051.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 2,059
  • 2097058.jpg
    2097058.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,936
  • 2097059.jpg
    2097059.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,984
article from Hello:

A sombre line-up of Dutch royals gathered to see the body of Prince Bernhard, father of reigning Queen Beatrix, transferred from his home at Soestdijk Palace to the Noordeinde Palace in The Hague on Sunday.

Heading the mourning was Bernhard's grandson Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, who held little Princess Catharina-Amalia, the future queen, in his arms. At his side stood his weeping wife, Crown Princess Maxima; the couple were flanked by Philippe's brother Prince Constantijn with his wife Princess Laurentien, their cousin Princess Juliana, and other clearly affected members of the royal family.

Popular Prince Bernhard, who passed away on December 1 at the age of 93, is to lie at Noordeinde so that ministers of state, dignitaries and members of the public can pay their final respects before his funeral next Saturday, December 11. Already, flowers and other tributes, including bottles of his favourite champagne, have been left with affectionate messages outside Soesdijk Palace, which he shared with his late wife, the former Queen Juliana, for six decades.

An active, colourful and sporty personality, Bernhard met the shy young princess in 1935 and they were married two years later, in January 1937. The couple, who had four daughters, spent their first Christmas together in hospital after Bernhard broke his neck in a motor accident.

German-born Bernhard won widespread respect with his devotion to his adopted nation during the Second World War, and his activities to rebuild the country in the post-war years. His reputation was tarnished in 1976 when he was involved in the Lockheed bribery inquiry. The scandal forced the prince to resign from all public office, though his military rank was reinstated in 1991. Documents published since his death reveal that he admitted to receiving a "sweetener" of over $1 million from Lockheed in return for help with securing contracts for the company while his wife was queen.

More information about the gun carriage, which will be used:

The gun cariagge was in use during the german invasion in may 1940,
and carried a canon used at the Grebbeberg battlegrounds (a lot of dutch soldiers died at the Grebbeberg). The text on the canon says: "den vaderland getrouwe, blijf ik tot in den dood".
This is a part of the dutch anthem.

Dutch version:
Wilhelmus van Nassouwe
ben ik van Duitsen bloed
den vaderland getrouwe
blijf ik tot in den dood.
Een Prinse van Oranje
ben ik, vrij onverveerd,
den Koning van Hispanje
heb ik altijd geëerd.

English version:
William of Nassau, scion
Of a Dutch and ancient line,
Dedicate undying
Faith to this land of mine.
A prince I am, undaunted,
Of Orange, ever free,
To the king of Spain I've granted
A lifelong loyalty.

On the canon is also the coat of arms of the Netherlands, which is also the royal arms. The coat of arms has the text: Je maintiendrai, in english: I shall maintain.

The Gun carriage will be drawn by 6 Gelderse and
Groningse horses.

Attachments

• 2098096.jpg
    2098096.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 349
  • 2098097.jpg
    2098097.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 351
Some more pictures of today.

Attachments

• 2097051.jpg
    2097051.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 416
  • 2098148.jpg
    2098148.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 339
  • 2098159.jpg
    2098159.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 2098297.jpg
    2098297.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 328
  • 2098331.jpg
    2098331.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 410
  • 2098298.jpg
    2098298.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 471
  • 2098018.jpg
    2098018.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 411
In the above pictures posteed by The Watcher, I see that it is Pieter van Vollenhoven, Prince Maurits, Crown Prince Willem and Prince Pieter-Christiaan who are keeping a (military?) vigil by Prince Bernhard's casket.

Is there a rotating shift amongst Prince Bernhard's grandsons so that Constantijn, Johan Friso, Floris, Bernhard Jr., Jaime, etc. will also stand guard? Or are Pieter, Willem, Pieter-Christiaan and Maurits the only ones with military duties/services/ranks to do this?

I understood only the grand children (and of course son in law) who have been in the military will keep a vigil and then members of the marechausse (special part of the dutch army) will take over so I guess these are the only family members who have been in the army.

I'll miss Prince Bernhard, I hope Beatrix will be alright. These are hard times for her and the whole family. If you look at the photo's it's obvious that they are a all very close.

Royals at Funeral of Prince Bernard i think:
.British Royal Family: Prince Charles or The Earl and Countess of Wessex.
.Denmark: Margrethe and Henrik or Frederik and Mary(It will be so nice if Mary there)
.Spain: Juan Carlos and Sofia or Felipe and Letizia.
.Sweden and Norway i think they are busy with the Nobel Prize.Maybe Princess Victoria or Carl Philips will be at the funeral.And Norway,maybe Mette Marits and Haakon.
.Belgium: i think Philippe and Mathilde will be there.
.Monaco: Princess Caroline or Prince Albert.
.Other Royals maybe King Constantijne and queen Anne-Marie will be there.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Royals at Funeral of Prince Bernard i think:
.British Royal Family: Prince Charles or The Earl and Countess of Wessex.
.Denmark: Margrethe and Henrik or Frederik and Mary(It will be so nice if Mary there)
.Spain: Juan Carlos and Sofia or Felipe and Letizia.
.Sweden and Norway i think they are busy with the Nobel Prize.Maybe Princess Victoria or Carl Philips will be at the funeral.And Norway,maybe Mette Marits and Haakon.
.Belgium: i think Philippe and Mathilde will be there.
.Monaco: Princess Caroline or Prince Albert.
.Other Royals maybe King Constantijne and queen Anne-Marie will be there.
According http://www.kongehuset.no/, King Harald and Queen Sonja will be present. Also King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden will come to Delft. From Denmark, Prince Hendrik will be present. Prince Philip (GB) hopes he can come.

So Their Majesties The Kings and Queens of Norway and Sweden will all be there.But i like Mary and Frederik at the funeral than Henrik.And philip so he attends all 2 funerals in The Netherlands today.

[font=verdana, arial]from BRMB:[/font]

[font=verdana, arial]4 grandsons to bring grandfather to Delft:[/font]

[font=verdana, arial]HRH Prince Johan Friso BERNHARD Christiaan David of Orange-Nassau, Count of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg

HRH Prince Carlos Xavier BERNARDO Prince de Bourbon de Parme

HH Prince BERNHARD Lucas Emanuel of Orange-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven

Mr BERNARDO Frederico Tomas Guillermo

will follow their grandfather during the whole route from Noordeinde Palace to Delft. The four daughters of the Prince will join the royal procession, when it has made a stop at the Defense Staff School, for the formation of the second part of the procession. HRH Prince Willem-Alexander, HRH Princess Máxima, HH Prince Maurits and HH Princess Marilène will receive the guests at the City Hall in Delft.

[/font]

From BRMB

The cortege will leave Noordeinde Palace at
09.40 AM and will arrive at the Nieuwe Kerk at
12.15 PM.The Service will start at 12.30 PM
until 13.30 PM.
Four grandsons follow in a Glasberline.

At 11.35AM the cortege will leave the IDL
(Defense Institute)as HM and Her Sisters
will join in the Gala Glassberline.
There will be extensive military ceremonial
from IDL to the Nieuwe Kerk.

At 11.20 TRH The Prince of Orange and Princess
Maxima,Mr.Pieter van Vollenhoven and TH Prince
Maurits and Princess Marilene will arrive at the
Delft Townhall where they will receive Members
of the Family,foreign Royal Guests and Dutch
authorities.

The Dutch authorities will cross the square
at 11.50 AM towards the church,followed at
11.55 by Members of foreign Royal Houses,and at
noon Members of the Family.

source:www.koninklijkhuis.nl

Thanks for the update Linda.

I am very impressed by how in the final servics to honour Prince Bernhard have encompassed many of his grandchildren. We saw Willem, Maurits and Pieter-Christiaan standing guard by his casket and now four of his other grandsons will follow his casket all the way to Delft.

(I actually got chills just thinking about it.)

It really shows how close the grandchildren were with Bernhard.

sara1981 said:
i got news from BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4060449.stm

Netherlands Prince Bernard dies

Dutch Prince Bernard, one of the most popular figures in the Royal Family, has died at age of 93.

Bernard, the father of the Netherlands's sitting monarch, Queen Beatrix, has suffering from Cancer.

He died late on Wednesday after being moved to the Utrecht University Medical Hospital when his condition worsened.

The German-born Prince, who become the Consort of the late Queen Juliana, was a pilot with the allied forces fighting against Germany in World War 2.

The Royal House said that, in accordance with his wishes, no efforts had been made to revive the Prince.

Bernhard's service during war and his help rebuliding the nation after the Nazi occupation earned him the respect of his adopted country.

Dapper Image

"Prince Bernard was a man who enjoyed life, a vital man who remained active until a very old age," Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende said in a nationally televised address.

"He devoted himself to issues and people close to his heart."

But Prince Bernhard's image suffered in 1976, when he accepted the findings of a Dutch parliamentary comminson that he had received improper commissions from US aircraft manufacturer, Lockheed.

Beyhond his country he seen as a jet-setting and charismatic ambrassador for the Dutch during post-war reconstruction.

In 1961 he helped create the World Wildlife Fund, becoming its first president.

He is also credited with founding the Bilderberg group - a secretive annual discussion forum for prominent politicians and thinkers.

Queen Juliana, who abdicated in favour of her daughter in 1980, died in March this year.
'

Wow, thanks for posting this, I've only recently become "into" non-Brit European Royals and he sounds like an amazing man. One of the "greatest generation" as we Americans say. Just fascinating, what a loss to the family and country.

News of today (from BRMB):

- All guests with a military rang are exptected to be in full ceremonial dress. That means that the Prince of Orange, Prince Maurits, Prince Pieter-Christiaan and mr. Van Vollenhoven all will appear in uniform, as also the foreign royal guests as the Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Hendrik. (posted by Cees)

- Besides choir music also marches will be heard. And the signal 'taptoe' (tattoo?) and the Last Post will be heard as well. That last one during the actual interment.(posted by Henri)

- It seems that the Prince will not only be interred in the uniform of General of the Royal Netherlands Air Force, holding a white carnation in his hand. Also a 80-years old toy dog, named Bonzo, seems to be together with the Prince in his coffin. Visitors have seen the Prince lying in state, with his old toy dog near his head.
The dog was a gift by Princess Armgard, his mother, when the Prince overcame a serious illness on his thirteenth. Since then he has always and ever taken the dog with him, for the furtherer 80 years of his life. On Reckenwalde Castle. To Munich, Lausanne, Hamburg in his student years. To Paris where he stayed with his uncla and aunt the Count and Countess de Kotzebue. To the Netherlands where he married the Heiress, Princess Juliana. In exile in London. During all his countless trips around the globe. And... with him during his very last journey...(posted by Henri)

- And Princess Christina will probably sing during the funeral.

- Guestlist:
- King Harald and queen Sonja (Norway)
- King Karl Gustav and queen Silvia (Sweden)
- King Albert (België)
- The British Prince Philip
- The Danish prince Henrik
- The King and the queen of Spain
- The Grand-duke of Luxemburg (Henri?)
- Prince Adam of Liechtenstein
- King Constantine of Greece
- Prince Armin of Lippe

- Today the florists and their staff have begun to decorate the Nieuwe Kerk with thousands and thousands of flowers.
The Prince's favourite flower The Carnation (anjer) will be prominent but not 'sovereign'... Flowers of this season will be added.

Near the pulpit the carnation will be prominent in a flower arrangement with 'classical allure'.
In the nave the 14 pillars will be provided with flower wreaths under the capitals.
Elegantly hanging flowers in a ajour style will be adorning the entrance to the crypt: chrysanthemum in shades of whites and greens.
Other flowers:
- Michaelmas daisy (herfstaster)
- Roses (rozen)
- Alstroemeria
- Lisianthus
- Euphorbia fulgens (~ sort of Christmas Star/verwant met Kerstster)
- Anogizanthos Carnations and beautiful sorts of green leaves will be give rest in the flower arrangements. (posted by joris)

Royal House site with announcements (English): http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/bernhard/www/index.php?Lang=EN

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I missed it and it's already posted, but is the funeral on Saturday?

Do you know at the funeral for Prince Bernard what colour will they wear?White like at funeral of Queen Juliana or black like at funeral of Prince Claus?I think black because at funeral of Prince Claus they wear black,and Prince Claus is the husband of The Queen.And Prince bernard is too,he is Prince Consort of Queen Juliana.

as far as I know, it will be a military-like funeral, and all royals/guests with a military rang are expected to wear their military uniforms.

Thanks royal_sophie for the information.I think only the male will wear the military Uniform,the felmale will not.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Thanks royal_sophie for the information.I think only the male will wear the military Uniform,the felmale will not.
Umm Do u by any chance,know who will be representing the Jordanian Royal family?

T-R-O-U-B-L-E said:
Umm Do u by any chance,know who will be representing the Jordanian Royal family?
From BRMB:

Ruling Houses:

Belgium
King AlbertII

Denmark
Prince Henrik

Jordan
Prince Hassan bin Talal and Princess Sarvath

Liechtenstein
Prince Hans-Adam II

Luxembourg
Grand Duke Henri

Morocco
Prince Mulay Abdullah el Allaoui

Norway
King Harald V and Queen Sonja

Spain
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

United Kingdom
Prince Philip

Sweden
King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Sylvia Others present:
King Constantine of Greece
The Aga Khan and His daughter Zahra Aga Khan
Bacharuddin Jusuf Habibie,former President
of the Republic of Indonesia
Mr.Walter Scheel,former President of Germany.

who will attend at funeral for Prince Bernard?

King and Queen of Norway,King and Queen of Spain, King and Queen of Sweden, and lots of more Kings and Queens and Crown Prince and Crown Princess.

Earl and Countess, Prince and Princess?

Sara Boyce

The Watcher said:
From BRMB:

Ruling Houses:

Belgium
King AlbertII

Denmark
Prince Henrik

Jordan

Liechtenstein
Prince Hans-Adam II

Luxembourg
Grand Duke Henri

Morocco
Prince Mulay Abdullah el Allaoui

Norway
King Harald V and Queen Sonja

Spain
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

United Kingdom
Prince Philip

Sweden
King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Sylvia Others present:
King Constantine of Greece
The Aga Khan and His daughter Zahra Aga Khan
Bacharuddin Jusuf Habibie,former President
of the Republic of Indonesia
Mr.Walter Scheel,former President of Germany.
Thank you.

The Watcher said:
From BRMB:

Ruling Houses:

Jordan
Thanks The Watcher for the information.

I think the choice of Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath makes sense; I believe Queen Beatrix has a personal friendsip with Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath.

DELFT, NETHERLANDS: Workers decorate Delft's New Church for the funeral of deceased Dutch Prince Bernhard, 09 December 2004. Bernhard will be buried next to his wife former Queen Juliana in the royal tomb in Delft 11 December. AFP PHOTO/ANP/ROBIN UTRECHT (Photo credit should read ROBIN UTRECHT/AFP/Getty Images)

Source: Getty Images

Attachments

• flowers-a.jpg
    flowers-a.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 302
  • flowers-b.jpg
    flowers-b.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
sara1981 said:
who will attend at funeral for Prince Bernard?

King and Queen of Norway,King and Queen of Spain, King and Queen of Sweden, and lots of more Kings and Queens and Crown Prince and Crown Princess.

Earl and Countess, Prince and Princess?

Sara Boyce
Didn't you read the list someone posted at the top?
By Earl and Countess you probably mean the Wessexes. It says if you read carefully that PRINCE PHILLIP is the one from Great Britain is supposed to represent the family.
Don't you think it would be out of place for the Wessexes to go when the other funeral guests are so much older and have a higher rank than them?

The younger ones are sometimes dispatched by the Queen to attend royal events due to the more senior members having prior engagements. I think it's whomever is available to attend that goes.

Also, I think what Sara was asking was who else was going to the funeral to represent Great Britain as well as the other countries.

Back
Top Bottom