Official Visit from Australia to The Netherlands: September 26-27, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fanletizia

Heir Apparent
City
Madrid
Country
Spain
September 26
On an invitation from Her Majesty the Queen, the Governor-General of Australia, His Excellency Major General Michael Jeffery, and his wife, Her Excellency Lady Marlena Jeffery, make an official trip to the Netherlands

from anp

Last edited:
Offical visit of the Gouverneur-Generaal Australia 26-27 September 2006

This is a new thread from the visit of the Australian Gouveneaur Genaraal from Australia. Since i found out there was also a gala dinner, i thought it would be better to open a new thread.
:flowers: :) :) maxima is wearing a new tiara...more pictures on PPE these are from ANP

wow!!! great photo's!!! princess Maxima looks stunning!!! and she wore the Emerald tiara!!!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME FOR HQ PHOTO'S OF THIS GALA DINNER?

www.ppe-agency.com has more photo's!! close ups of maxima and beatrix

The diademe is not in full version yet / Máxima's diademes

The earrings worn by the Princess also belong to the diademe. If she asks the Court Jeweller to attach these to the diademe, then she will have 5 elegant prongs.

I think she keeps that in store for the future.

:flowers:

Princess Máxima is the most versatile wearer of diademes of all Crown Princesses:

1 - the diademe from the Aquamarine Parure
2 - the base with the diamond fleur-de-lys motifs from the Pavolnik Diademe
3 - the Diamond Stars Diademe
4 - the diademe from the Emerald Parure modified with five upright pearl spikes
5 - the triangular motif diamond diademe
6 - the Bandeau of old large rose-cut diamonds
7 - the diademe from the Emarald Parure, with emeralds, in a modified version
8 - the diademe from the Mellerio diamonds-and-rubies parure
9 - the diamond sun-ray motif diademe

do you have picture's by your list Henri M? thank you

and how many times worn Maxima the same tiara

Last edited:
Margriet

Maxima and Beatrix look fabulous! Where is Margariet? It always so sad to see Beatrix by herself at events such as these. I know she has the comfort of her family and especially the grandchildren...but it is a shame that her husband is no longer with her.

And here is a question (apologizing in advance if it has already been answered). Why wasn't her husband given a dukedom (thinking British) or a title when they got married? And was special dispensation given so that their sons could be Princes?

LOL. When I looked at some pictures of Maxima, I thought to myself, "She looks pregnant..." Then, I remembered she IS!! :ROFLMAO:

Zonk said:
Maxima and Beatrix look fabulous! Where is Margariet? It always so sad to see Beatrix by herself at events such as these. I know she has the comfort of her family and especially the grandchildren...but it is a shame that her husband is no longer with her.

And here is a question (apologizing in advance if it has already been answered). Why wasn't her husband given a dukedom (thinking British) or a title when they got married? And was special dispensation given so that their sons could be Princes?

I miss Margriet there to, but she looked a bit ill at Prinsjesdag, so maybe that prevented her from attending.

To awnser your question: according to author Dorine Hermans there was talk of making Pieter a Prince of The Netherlands, which was Juliana's wish. I believe Bernhard and Beatrix were against it, not as a personal vendetta against Pieter but against the principle. Later on it was opted to make Pieter a count, a title which could be inherited by his children, but sadly that plan led nowhere either, apparently HM The Queen again who was against it (as it would make the RF look snobbish & aristocratic titles have little value in dutch society)
Getting him a dukedom was not an option as the only duchy in The Netherlands is Limburg, and the Duchess of Limburg is HM The Queen :)

I am not exactly aware how Margriets chldren became princess but I assume it was arranged by a royal decree, supported by parlament, before her wedding. Juliana hated the thought to have A- B- and (C-?) standard grandchildren, so probably would have preferred the HRH Princes of the Netherlands for all of them, which luckily did not happen.

-----

Now back to the banquet: the girl from Buenos Aires does it again: bring a frish breeze in the royal vaults. I am so happy they changed the tiara, it looks much better this way, with 3 emerald prongs. I hope they will never even think of wearing it with upright pearls again. Good to see the necklace on her to, though the two brooches that belong to the parure could have been added to. I don't care to much about her dress though.
HM's dress looks nice and at least she is not hiding her favourite tiara completely...

All spouses are created Prince(ss) in their own right

Zonk said:

Since 1901 all spouses of the (future) Sovereign are created a Prince(ss) in their own right, with their own arms, their own personal standard and (since 1936) their own income. This to mark their own independent position apart from the (future) Sovereign.

Heinrich Wladimir Albrecht Ernst, Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Prince of the Wends, of Schwerin, of Ratzeburg, Count of Schwerin, Lord of the Lands Rostock and Stargard:
Per 6 February 1901 by Royal Decree Prins der Nederlanden, Hertog van Mecklenburg with the predicate '(His) Royal Highness'

Bernhard Leopold Friedrich Eberhard Julius Kurt Karl Gottfried Peter Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld:
Per 6 January 1937 by Royal Decree Prins der Nederlanden, Prins van Lippe-Biesterfeld with the predicate '(His) Royal Highness'

Claus Georg Otto Wilhelm Friedrich Kurt von Amsberg (Mecklenburgian nobility):
Per 10 March 1966 by Royal Decree Prins der Nederlanden, Jonkheer van Amsberg with the predicate '(His) Royal Highness'

Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti
Per 2 February 2002 by Royal Decree Prinses der Nederlanden, Prinses van Oranje-Nassau with the predicate '(Her) Royal Highness'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The titles in the Royal House are not hereditary as is the use in nobility. For each new generation of 'legal descendants of His Majesty King Willem I Frederik, Prince of Orange-Nassau' as the Constitution says and no furtherer related to the Sovereign than two degrees of consanguity, by Royal Decree titles are bestowed.

Since the modernized Act on the membership of the Royal House 2002 only children of the present, the former and the future Sovereign can be a Prince(ss) of the Netherlands, Prince(ss) of Orange-Nassau.

That is why the children of Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn are no Princes/Princesses but were bestowed (hereditary) noble titles.
Luana, Zaria, Eloïse, Claus-Casimir and Leonore namely are no 'children of a present, former or future Sovereign'.

Last edited:
Princess Margariet

Henri M..thanks for the information...but I was really asking about Margariet's children. How did they become Princes' if Margariet's husband isn't one?

No three prongs

Marengo said:
I am so happy they changed the tiara, it looks much better this way, with 3 emerald prongs.

australia01.jpg

It indeed looks much better but it are no three prongs at all. The two emerald 'mini-prongs' actually were emeralds mounted in the monture itself, in between the diamonds.

The Court Jeweller has replaced these two emeralds by two diamonds and moved these emeralds on top of the monture.

The Princess actually is wearing the top parts of the original prongs as earrings. I think that we will see this diademe with five prongs in the future, when there is a grand banquet (this evening was 'only' demi-gala).

:flowers:

But I agree: la princesa is doing it again!

Last edited:
A once-and-never-again decision

Zonk said:
Henri M..thanks for the information...but I was really asking about Margariet's children. How did they become Princes' if Margariet's husband isn't one?

The titles for the children of Princess Margriet were a pain in the ass for the High Council of Nobility, which gave a negative advice against this 'horreur'. But Queen Juliana, as stubborn as she sometimes could be, categorically refused to have another attitude for sons of Princess Beatrix and sons of Princess Margriet. She refused to have 'A-princes and B-princes' as she stated. It was a pain in the ass for the Cabinet.

A strange Royal Decree was made in which the sons of Princess Margriet were made a Prince of Orange-Nassau with the predicate '(His) Highness'. Only personal and non-hereditary.

Not a succes: there anyhow became A-princes and B-princes. That was unavoidable. And now the strange situation exists that the children of these Princes are 'nothing'. Let us hope that the Queen will bestow a noble title on professor Van Vollenhoven, so that all his children and grandchildren will become a noble too.

Queen Beatrix has not repeated her mother's scenario. Instead she bestowed hereditary noble titles for her two younger sons. At least the children of Count Claus-Casimir will also be a Count(ess) van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg. (Noble titles are hereditary in the male lineage only).

Last edited:
I love Maxima's new tiara!! It's very elegant, and I love emeralds!
Not so keen on the dress though...the pattern is a bit weird for me
Oh well, she looks radiant anyways

I like how on PPE when describing their photos they are already calling her 'the pregnant Princess Maxima' :)

She looks wonderful in the gown and jewels.

Maxima looks tired (understandably) but she still looks spectacular in her dress with the emerald parure. The Queen looks great as well as the First Lady. All three look very elegant.

Princess Maxima looks wonderful and WA looks very happy. They seem like a great couple.

Mathilde1286 said:
LOL. When I looked at some pictures of Maxima, I thought to myself, "She looks pregnant..." Then, I remembered she IS!! :ROFLMAO:
This is funny!!!:lol: . Maxima looks beautiful in the pictures,and yes W-A looks very happy!

I love it how the Beatrix doesn't let the jewels gather dust in a vault. She's not afraid for her daughter-in-laws, especially Maxima to wear them! Maxima is absolutely glowing and I love the green color of her dress.

Yeah" Maxima looks absolutely wonderful and happy, I think that she was the most beautiful and most happy human on photos. Also, that emerald tiara wouldn't look so beautiful, if it's wearer wouldn't be Maxima! :lol:

Maxima looks very nice.

Thank you all for the pictures and news.

are there pictures of the other activities from this official visit??

Yes, Maxima look wonderful, is amaizing how many tiara seh can wear..that is lovely!

All Princess Máxima's diademes so far:

royalgertjan said:
do you have picture's by your list Henri M?

Here are the pics, I uploaded them to my own webspaces. The pics originated from ANP and Seeger Press.

Click on the pics to see these in original size.

The Princess wore 9 diademes so far:

----
The diademe from the Emerald Parure,
with the emeralds replaced by diamonds
and 5 upright pearls attached

----

The monture of Queen Sophie's diamond-leafs coronet
combined with the diamond stars

----

The diademe from the Emerald Parure with only one prong,
two emeralds are replaced by diamonds and moved to the top of
the diamond monture at the right and the left

----

The Bandeau of large rose-cut diamonds

----

The diademe from Princess Juliana's Aquamarine Parure

----

The diademe from Queen Emma's 'Mellerio' Parure

----

Princess Wilhelmina's triangular motif diamond diademe

----

The monture with the diamond fleur-de-lys from the Pavolnik diademe

----
The diamond sun-ray motif diademe

[FONT=verdana, arial]Speech by Her Majesty the Queen, 26 September 2006
at the dinner on the occasion of the official visit of the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia to the Netherlands
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]

Mr Governor-General,
It gives me great pleasure to greet you and Mrs Jeffery this evening and to welcome you to our country. Your visit is taking place in the anniversary year which is being celebrated with a wide range of events and exchanges in the fields of politics, economics, culture and sport. In this context, my son Prince Alexander and Princess Máxima will pay a visit to your country in November.
The reason for our commemoration is that four hundred years ago the Duyfken was sent by the Dutch East India Company to explore what was then still the “Unknown South Land” – and so became the first European ship to reach Australia. In memory of this historic event, a replica of the Duyfken is currently sailing along the Australian coast and the vessel has also been immortalised on the Duyfken coin that was minted in Australia several months ago.
Ten years later captain Dirk Hartog fixed a pewter plate to a stake as proof that he had been in Australia. Other Dutch ships followed. Their visits were not always intentional, but rather the result of navigational errors en route to Batavia, which often led to shipwrecks on the Australian west coast. In sixteen twenty-nine, this fate befell the Batavia, in a tragedy of mutiny and murder that claimed many lives. Other Dutch vessels also foundered on that distant shore. Fortunately, the fact that our shared history largely began with shipwrecks was by no means a prophecy for the four centuries that followed.
The Second World War was undoubtedly a turning-point in Australian-Dutch relations. The Dutch East Indies were overrun and Australia too was under threat. Ships of the Australian and Dutch navies fought side by side in the Battle of the Java Sea. Units of the Dutch armed forces and of the Royal Netherlands Indies Army, escaped to Australia to carry on the fight from there. One of our ships managed to get away in a surprising manner when the crew camouflaged it as a floating island! Initially, our forces made only a modest contribution. The most important role was played by the Dutch merchant navy, which supplied troop transports and hospital ships for the Allies. Thus, the Netherlands became the Fourth Ally in the Pacific, alongside the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia.
Australian forces also took part in the war in Europe, continuing a tradition which began in the First World War, when your country demonstrated its solidarity with the mother country, Britain. Sixty thousand Australians gave their lives in that horrific conflict, in the far-distant European continent. Again, during the Second World War, your country made a significant contribution to the war in Europe. Four hundred Australian military personnel, mostly airmen, were killed in our country.
After the War, emigration opened a new chapter in Australian-Dutch relations. Numerous Dutch people who had been stationed in Australia during the War settled there, as did a number of their compatriots, many of them war veterans, who had lived in the Dutch East Indies. From nineteen-fifty onwards, they were followed by a stream of emigrants from the Netherlands, who saw the opportunity to build a new life in Australia. They now make up over one per cent of the population of your country, and have adapted to the spirit of enterprise, drive and hard work that still prevails and to which Australia owes its great progress and its current prosperity.
Today Australia is a country with a thriving population, a flourishing culture and a high level of scientific endeavour. Moreover, it is a nation whose values we share. Our two countries therefore often act together in the international political arena. They are both engaged in maintaining the international legal order and make an active contribution to conflict prevention, conflict management and peace enforcement. Australian and Dutch forces have played an active part in peace operations in Iraq and now in Afghanistan. Together they are striving to restore peace.
One of the characteristics of the Australian people is their passion for sport and their strong sense of sportsmanship. These qualities are reflected not only in outstanding performances in many different fields, but also in the enthusiasm with which sport is practised. The successful Olympic Games of two thousand and two – and the no less successful Paralympics to which thousands of Australian volunteers contributed – convincingly demonstrated the national pride and genuine sportsmanship and solidarity of your people.
The distance between Australia and the Netherlands is great, but not a problem for the inhabitants of our two countries. Every year tens of thousands of Dutch people visit your country and nearly as many Australians come to ours. Young people in particular travel from here to your faraway continent, as indeed many young Australians visit age-old Europe. This anniversary year offers excellent opportunities for exchanges between our two peoples, in the cultural, academic and sporting fields.
Mr Governor-General,
The Australians and the Dutch get on well. That is a solid basis for cooperation in the next four hundred years. For many Dutch people, moreover, their warm feelings for your country are bound up with the role Australia played in the Second World War – and in the liberation of the Netherlands. That memory has not yet faded.
May I now invite all those present to raise their glasses and join me in a toast to your health, Mr Governor-General, to the health of Mrs Jeffery, and to a bright future for the Australian people.

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/english/content.jsp?objectid=16570
from the website of the royal house, RVD.
[/FONT]

Queen Beatrix, Mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven, Crown Prince Willem Alexander and Princess Maxima as well as Michael and Marlena Jefferey attended a reception hosted by the ambassador of Australia, Mr. S. Brady, at castle Duivenvoorde in Voorschoten today. (Source: PPE, more can be found here)

Back
Top Bottom