MH17 Plane Disaster and the Dutch Royals: 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TM King Willem Alexander and Queen Máxima will be present at Eindhoven Airforce base tomorrow afternoon to greet the remains upon arrival.

Church bells will ring all day with regular intervals and all will ring throughout the country from 5 minutes before the aircrafts with the remains land untill they will be parked at the tarmac.

Tomorrow is a Day of National Mourning.A first as we don't know that as such before,but there is a huge majority in favour which is understandeble considering the circumstances and impact of this tragedy,this senseless murder.

Lucien-I'm sorry that the NL has to hold a national mourning day at all. IMO this is a wise decision to hold this event.

How terrible for all of you. I send my blessing and prayer for peace. It is unnerving that an armed band of lunatics, sponsored by a strong armed person can wreak such havoc on regular people's lives.

Lucien-I'm sorry that the NL has to hold a national mourning day at all. IMO this is a wise decision to hold this event.

In true dutch style however no part of it is mandatory, every person can decide for themselves if and how they participate :flowers:

:previous: An interesting if painful thought that this is the first National Day of Mourning in NL. The space for everyone to participate in their own way is pretty well unique and quite remarkable.

Some people handle grief with church services, candles and prayers and others honor the dead by going about their business in the tradition of "Keep Calm and Carry On". All will hear the bells mark the passage of the day and both ways are equally respectful.

I am sure there are, and will be, prayers for both the living and the dead around the world.

It seems that,among the victims,there is Mr Joep Lange and his wife.He was a famous aids researcher.
Both were close friends to Princess Mabel.They have 5 childrens.

Nouveau deuil pour la princesse Mabel

My condoleances to our dutch members and to those who have lost some of their citizens.

A picture of Princess Mabel and her late husband with Prof. Lange (right) and his partner Jacqueline van Tongeren (left).

Joep Lange | 31pictures

Judging from the many reactions and columns written by friends in various newspapers it seems to have been a wonderful couple and still very much in love.

Last edited:
Its heartbreaking to see pictures of the victims.

On facebook,I came across the last post and picture of a Malaysian woman who died in the crash with her husband and four children.
In facebook,she posted a picture of their luggages in the airport with a comment stating it was their last hijra (immigration which can also have a religious meaning).They were returning definitly to Malaysia after spending many years in Kazakhstan.

First, her relatives,posted comments praying for a safe return and for a nice flight.
Slowly,her relatives realised she and her family were on the crashed plane.

The pictures of all the children who were on the plane published by the dailymail are difficult to watch at too.

Last edited:
The aircrafts of the Dutch and Australian RAF have landed and are taxiying towards the tarmac.Church bells are now ringing ALL over the country.

Gutwrenching,intensily moving moments.

If this is the wrong thread for the following article, please feel free to move it to the correct one.

The first bodies of those killed in the MH17 crash have arrived in the Netherlands to be greeted by grieving relatives and the Dutch royal family.
The remains of around 40 international victims of the Malaysia Airlines tragedy left Ukraine's Kharkiv airport on two planes earlier today, ahead of a painstaking identification process which is expected to take several months.
The dignified reception at Eindhoven airport is in stark contrast to the treatment of the victims' remains in eastern Ukraine in the days after the crash, where pro-Russian rebels left corpses to decay in the summer heat in body bags dumped around the crash site.

Tears for the MH17 crash victims: Dutch royals and grieving relatives watch as first bodies arrive back in Holland in dignified ceremony that shames Russia | Mail Online

Maxima wears her emotions on her sleeve, heartbreaking to see the pictures of her today.

The King and Queen reflecting the emotion and sadness of the Dutch people in the picture above. I admire how openly they have been able to show their support and emotion over the past week,... in stark contrast with another Monarch who (as I read on other threads) is yet to show her sympathy for her subjects who have lost loved ones in the tragedy...

I think Queen Maxima is very brave to have shown her emotions, putting royal protocol to the wind as far as showing public mourning. I also was moved when I saw all the Dutch people standing on overpass bridges watching when the hearses with the remains of the bodies of their relatives drove underneath the bridges. I even saw some roses on the ground inside the bridges along the side. I do wish however, that that loud mouth Chris Cuomo, from CNN, would have left the parents and grandmother of two of the boy victims alone in their grief, instead of interviewing them. At a time like this, you would think he would have enough brains to stay away from them.

I think Queen Maxima is very brave to have shown her emotions, putting royal protocol to the wind as far as showing public mourning. I also was moved when I saw all the Dutch people standing on overpass bridges watching when the hearses with the remains of the bodies of their relatives drove underneath the bridges. I even saw some roses on the ground inside the bridges along the side. I do wish however, that that loud mouth Chris Cuomo, from CNN, would have left the parents and grandmother of two of the boy victims alone in their grief, instead of interviewing them. At a time like this, you would think he would have enough brains to stay away from them.

Maxima always seems to be very expressive - whether happy or sad. And I think, in hard times especially, it makes her more relatable. When people are hurting, I think it's somehow reassuring to know that public figures are also in touch with what's going on. I agree that it was very moving to see how many of the Dutch people turned out to pay their respects to the victims - I couldn't believe how many turned out! As for the interview on CNN, I saw that too, and I'm sure it's something the family consented to. It was clear the family had some sentiments they wanted to convey, even though it was difficult.

Will Maxima and Willem-Alexander be present when the next planes with the coffins will land in Eindhoven?

If yes, this would be a strong sign also to the families whose dead family members will come home (I hope you understand what I tried to explain).

I think that the Netherlands can be proud on their royal couple. They are never giving their people the impression that they are alone. They are present in good and also in bad times.

Will Maxima and Willem-Alexander be present when the next planes with the coffins will land in Eindhoven?

If yes, this would be a strong sign also to the families whose dead family members will come home (I hope you understand what I tried to explain).

I think that the Netherlands can be proud on their royal couple. They are never giving their people the impression that they are alone. They are present in good and also in bad times.

The latest news on this is that the royal couple and the prime-minister of the NL will not be present at the arrival of the next planes, but at every arrival at least one member of the dutch parliament will be present...
Also the ceremony will be very similar to the first arrivals today; the relatives of the deceased have been invited to be present at every arrival if they would like to be (since until identification of the victims, people can never be sure in which plane their loved one will arrive)

Last edited:
Very lovely, if those are the correct words. Maxima is wonderful, as well as the king. There are no real words to express ones sorrow for these families. Blessing be upon all.

Good that the Belgian king sent his brother to represent him. Australia was represented by the Governor General and his wife. Britain by a minister.

Tomorrow 74 corpses will arrive. Although there will be less representatives and probably less spectators along the streets as the official day of mourning was today, the military honours will be the same for all victims, including a minute of silence. Friday the last corpses that were on that awful train will arrive in Eindhoven. Some others may still be in the fields, nobody is able to look for them at this point.

Re: the interviewed family; some people want to tell their story. The Dutch press also interviewed a few in their homes. Heartbreaking stories. The government however did very well in shielding them from the press. 1000 relatives etc. were present today at the airport but they were not filmed. Those who want can choose to seek publicity to tell their story in their personal process of mourning. One mother said that she hoped that her story would give a 'face' to the attack and the shameful situation that followed and hoped that it would help in the return of the bodies.

---
PPE gallery: http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=23-07-2014 Eindhoven

Last edited:
Was poignant to see all the various flags flying at half mast as the coffins were moved from the plane and watching the Dutch stand in silence with just the church bells peeling in the background.

I'm not sure if there was anyone from Ireland present but the Irish flag was flying at half mast at the airport in the background.

Such an emotional day for the Netherlands and particularly for the families of the people who died. Everything we have seen today has been conducted so well and with such immense dignity.

I thought it was very well done. Wasn't expecting to see so many people on the side of the roads.

Such a beautiful and moving ceremony, especially in contrast to what went before. I am very proud to be Dutch-American.

Good that the Belgian king sent his brother to represent him. Australia was represented by the Governor General and his wife. Britain by a minister.

Tomorrow 74 corpses will arrive. Although there will be less representatives and probably less spectators along the streets as the official day of mourning was today, the military honours will be the same for all victims, including a minute of silence. Friday the last corpses that were on that awful train will arrive in Eindhoven. Some others may still be in the fields, nobody is able to look for them at this point.

Re: the interviewed family; some people want to tell their story. The Dutch press also interviewed a few in their homes. Heartbreaking stories. The government however did very well in shielding them from the press. 1000 relatives etc. were present today at the airport but they were not filmed. Those who want can choose to seek publicity to tell their story in their personal process of mourning. One mother said that she hoped that her story would give a 'face' to the attack and the shameful situation that followed and hoped that it would help in the return of the bodies.

---
PPE gallery: PPE Agency

how sad. i am however proud of how the dutch government has organised the national mourning. it's at least a little comforting that the victims and their family get properly acknowledged for such a horrific act.

Only briefly saw photos online but it looked so very moving and sad. The Dutch people are so dignified in this nightmare, and thank goodness they seem to have a king and queen who are worthy of them!

:sad:This is the saddest thing that I have seen on TV, this is the second day and when I see the Dutch people rally around the families and each other it makes me see how proud they are and how they will survive this. My very deepest condolences to all, the families that are grieving so deeply and probably still can't believe it happened, to the people of Netherlands, the wonderful and compassionate royal couple.
I so wish there was something I could do to help, this makes one feel so powerless.

Maxima wears her emotions on her sleeve, heartbreaking to see the pictures of her today.

She is as dignified as any Queen should be, but has retained all the warmth and vitality she had before she became a Royal. When she is happy she laughs, when she is distressed she weeps. In other words she has remained completely true to herself. It's why she is one of my favorite Royals!

The aircrafts of the Dutch and Australian RAF have landed and are taxiying towards the tarmac.Church bells are now ringing ALL over the country.

Gutwrenching,intensily moving moments.
My sincere condolences to the families of the dead and the people of the Netherlands. I am so impressed by the calm dignity and respect shown by your King and Queen and the representatives from other countries. The dignity of voluntary anonymity afforded the families is a true gift, allowing them to show their grief without exploitation.

The image of all those hearses lined up was intense and the knowledge that there were "only" 40 was difficult to comprehend. Hearing that many bells tolling would only magnify the pain.

The Netherlands is gifted with a wonderful royal family and the image of the King discreetly holding the Queen's hand resonates. Each showing their grief for their country in two vastly different ways. It was knowing that they were each drawing solace from the other that enabled WA to retain the dignity expected of him in his position and allowing Maxima to weep for them all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom