The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent

oh, now we solved the mistery of that phrase being similar in english and dutch....

i remember seeing a video long time ago (the famous stolen video of willem and maxima's argentinian visit) where maxima was talking to amalia in spanish while getting her hair done. she was saying something like "donde esta la bebita linda de mama?" (where's mommy's cute little girl?)... thought it was really cute.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 02-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
Dutch, Spanish and English.
Also the Prince can understand Spanish very well, and speak it more or less.
Very impressive that the family is having their children raised to be multi-lingual. Do they employ Spanish speaking nannies?

There are quite a few Spanish speakers among European royalty besides the Spanish royal family. Queen Fabiola, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and Princess Maxima are three native speakers who have married into families where Spanish is not the primary language.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Courtier

And an other video: Story
Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK
Very impressive that the family is having their children raised to be multi-lingual. Do they employ Spanish speaking nannies?
Yes, the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima do employ staff at Villa De Eikenhorst but their nationality is not known. To me it looks looks logical that the nannies are native Dutch speakers with Spanish as a second language. After all Princess Catharina-Amalia needs to develop excellent Dutch language.

But the royal family is known with this concept. For the 604 years that the Orange-Nassaus are in the Netherlands, the Stadtholders, Princes, Fürsts, Kings or Queens have never ever been married to a Dutchman or -woman. So bilinguality must be in their genes.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I actually think they do. I don't know if they're native speakers, but the nannies do speak spanish. I thought they were native speakers, but I'm not sure
Old 02-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
He has said that he learns with Amalia
Old 02-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
oh, now we solved the mistery of that phrase being similar in english and dutch....

i remember seeing a video long time ago (the famous stolen video of willem and maxima's argentinian visit) where maxima was talking to amalia in spanish while getting her hair done. she was saying something like "donde esta la bebita linda de mama?" (where's mommy's cute little girl?)... thought it was really cute.
I would like to see that video
Old 02-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

There are quite a few Spanish speakers among European royalty besides the Spanish royal family. Queen Fabiola, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and Princess Maxima are three native speakers who have married into families where Spanish is not the primary language.
Plus the other way around, like Dutch princess Irene, Beatrix's sister. Irene was married to a Spanish prince, Carlos Hugo of Bourbon PArma I believe, an heir to the Spanish throne. (he didn't end up landing the throne because a different family did, the one that dictator Franco prefered if I'm not mistaken) Their four kids speak Spanish fluently, among a slew of other languages. Most recently one of these kids, Jaime, was named godfather of his cousin Prince Friso's youngest daughter, Zaria (still follow?
Back on the topic of Lech, my hunch why the Friso branch of the family wasn't there has to have to do with Mabel's work. She probably couldn't make the time away from her high-level job. At the baptism of her daughter recently, she looked absolutely exhausted, the poor thing. The one who really could use a nice vacation!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

the 604 years that the Orange-Nassaus are in the Netherlands
604 years with a few, well, let us say, Oranje-breakes in between (during some of which the Republiek did just fine being a republic, thank you very much!)
Old 02-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, in 1672 (disaster-year) most people would have disagreed with you on that
Old 02-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota

mmm do you know where can I get that video from? Thanks
Old 02-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes. Unfortunately I never saw any interview with him, during the official visit...maybe he had a chance to mumble some words in Spanish...BTW has WA ever been listened to, while speaking Spanish? Some spare words at least?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneGirl
yes, hier definately sounds like here, thats why english speaking people will think it's english, and only dutch people (or maybe german people too) will hear that she really was speaking dutch, not english. hier may sound like here, it really isn't the same. there's a slightly different tone to it.
I agree. I listened to it several times. I believe she meant to say it in Dutch, and she did, but made the "hier" sound like a "here"...
Old 02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Royal Highness

Still the premier family during the Stadtholderless eras

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
604 years with a few, well, let us say, Oranje-breakes in between (during some of which the Republiek did just fine being a republic, thank you very much!)
The Nassaus were still the premier family during the two Stadtholderly eras, which is a misleading name because these periods were mainly in the provinces of Holland and Zealand only.

The First Stadtholderless Era was from 1650 (death of Willem II) until 1672.
All this time his son Prince Willem III (born after the death of Willem II) was declared 'Child of State' and was de-facto being given all the honours of a Sovereign Prince and Stadtholder. His two Regentesses, grandmother Princess Amalia of Orange, Countess of Solms-Braunfels and his mother Princess Mary (Stuart) of Orange, The Princess Royal were sharp on that and in Friesland and Groningen Willem-Frederik of Nassau was Stadtholder. During this time there undoubtedly was one premier family, living in the same palaces (Noordeinde and Huis ten Bosch) as Queen Beatrix now.

The Second Stadtholderless Era from 1702 (death of Willem III) until 1747: the Lords States have declared the Office of Stadtholder hereditary for the issue of Prince Willem III. But there was no issue. So Holland and Zealand declared the Stadtholderly Office 'vacant' and had no plans to seek for another Stadtholder. But in the meantime Prince Johan Willem Friso of Nassau was Stadtholder in Friesland and Groningen. His son, Prince Willem IV would become hereditary Stadtholder for all the provinces. So also during this era the princely family remained in the Netherlands and was undoubtedly the nation's premier family.

World War II meant the exile for the Dutch royal family from May 1940 to September 1944, but the Kingdom remained with an occupied Netherlands, free Netherlands West Indies, partly occupied Netherlands East Indies and the Queen in London, remaining Sovereign de facto and de jure.

So this means that only the French occupation of 1794-1813 must be corrected: 604 years - 19 years = 585 years the premier family of the Netherlands.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Courtier
Picture of the Month Representative - The Netherlands

Quote:
Ah yes.. many of my classmates from Dutch lessons, who have been speaking with the Prince on one of the receptions at the State Visit to Argentina in 2006, said he can speak spanish very good -- and that he even make jokes
Old 02-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Courtier

Great pictures of a cute family!
The kids are all very charming (poor ,crying Alexia ).
It's funny to see that Máxima talks to her kids in 2 languages- Dutch and Spanish!

By the way, does she call Amalia "Ama"?
She says something like this... strange short form..
Old 02-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Beatrix
By the way, does she call Amalia "Ama"?
She says something like this... strange short form..
I think she referred to Amalia as "Ama" because maybe that is what Alexia knows her by.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Aristocracy

Great pictures of the family. The childrens are so cute, (poor Alexia).
Old 03-17-2007, 03:12 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
- what about Willem-Alexander: will he become 'King-Father'?
I know this doesn't happen in the Netherlands, but if they did do such a thing, Willem-Alexander would be "Queen Father" not "King Father" because his daughter would be Queen

"Queen Father" sounds quite funny to me!
Old 03-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Maxima
Ah yes.. many of my classmates from Dutch lessons, who have been speaking with the Prince on one of the receptions at the State Visit to Argentina in 2006, said he can speak spanish very good -- and that he even make jokes
any videos or audios on this?