The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2019, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

I haven’t followed the Dutch Royal family closely, so I have a question. I noticed the King’s cousins participating in the events. Is this typical?

Old 04-28-2019, 11:35 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I haven’t followed the Dutch Royal family closely, so I have a question. I noticed the King’s cousins participating in the events. Is this typical?
For Koningsdag it is. It's the only day in the year that all four sons of Princess Margriet and their wives join them during an event.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMaximaftw View Post
The little girl was overcome with emotions because she saw Queen Máxima. Queen Maxima asked her why she was crying and when she told her, Máxima gave the girl a hug and a kiss on the forehead. And the girls brother got pictures with a lot of members from the dutch royal family. So talk about a good day for that family!
Sweet story! Thanks .
Old 04-28-2019, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMaximaftw View Post
The little girl was overcome with emotions because she saw Queen Máxima. Queen Maxima asked her why she was crying and when she told her, Máxima gave the girl a hug and a kiss on the forehead. And the girls brother got pictures with a lot of members from the dutch royal family. So talk about a good day for that family!
Such a lovely anecdote. A great tale to tell in the future! That'll start a conversation at parties

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-28-2019, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

An interview with King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima on kingsday!

16th of November,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre
Old 04-28-2019, 11:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Botenparade op de Prinsengracht

Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Interview with Amalia:

Old 04-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

My Dutch is - ahem - a bit dusty, so not being distracted with what Amalia said, she looked and sounded like a pretty confident young lady.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:18 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Two nice short interviews with the princess, her parents are obviously are bursting with pride & have every reason to do so. She seems to be a friendly and steady girl.

Both interviewers adressed the princess with the formal 'u' (vous) instead of the informal 'je' (tu), which seems right considering her position and must be agreed in advance as it feels unnatural to use it for a teenager.

- In the first interview she says that like last year she is happy to be participating and be a part of it. The interviewer asked about a quiz they participated in. She joked that although she studied for it she was sadly unable to beat her father. The queen then retorted that they are all very competative in games.

- In the second interview she is asked what she thinks of the day. She thinks it is a great party and she is always happy that she can participate & looks forward to it every year. The interviewer askes what she notices: she says that everybody is trying to make it a very festive day each year which makes her proud to live in this country.

Sandra Schuurhof asks her if it is not a little bit weird for her, to be greeted like a pop star with all eyes directed at you. The princess agrees and says that every now and then it is surreal to her to realise that this is her life but she is always enjoying herself.

Another person asks if it isn't exciting. She repeats that every now and then it is. Her mother seems to want to correct her here -it was perhaps not in the script- but Amalia laughs and tells her mother and says "I only say every now and then'. When asked if she doesn't mind people wanting to touch her she says that she always enjoys giving people a handshake and that people seem to enjoy it too.
The queen again jokes how competative the family is in games and that they studied for the quiz. Amalia jokes that she did not take her cheat sheets with her. Maxima seems to tease her a bit, the princess says that she didn't expect certain questions but explains that she wants to give a good impression and not be 'a show version of myself'.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Majesty

It has pleased His Majesty to celebrate his birthday in Maastricht, the capital if the most Southern province Limburg. It is, in my humble view, one of the most photogenic cities of the Netherlands and will provide the background for a festive King's Day 2020.

Picture of the Vrijthof with the Basilica of St Servaas on the background, the grey building in front is the Hoofdwacht, the office of the Maastricht military garrison:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._northeast.JPG

Picture of the City Hall on Market Square: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cropped%29.jpg

The Basilica of Our Lady on the very beautiful Our Lady's Square:
https://i1.trekearth.com/photos/1434...5_08-01-28.jpg

One of the city's mediaeval gates:
https://www.1limburg.nl/sites/defaul...?itok=UsYqa93a

One of the fortifications - The Five Heads:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...kertoren_2.jpg

The heads of state of the Benelux and of Germany in Maastricht, 2014 (note the protester "No Monarchy But Democracy")
https://i0.wp.com/www.cultuurblogger...14-1.jpg?ssl=1
Old 09-23-2019, 01:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It has pleased His Majesty to celebrate his birthday in Maastricht, the capital if the most Southern province Limburg. It is, in my humble view, one of the most photogenic cities of the Netherlands and will provide the background for a festive King's Day 2020.

Picture of the Vrijthof with the Basilica of St Servaas on the background, the grey building in front is the Hoofdwacht, the office of the Maastricht military garrison:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._northeast.JPG

Picture of the City Hall on Market Square: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cropped%29.jpg

The Basilica of Our Lady on the very beautiful Our Lady's Square:
https://i1.trekearth.com/photos/1434...5_08-01-28.jpg

One of the city's mediaeval gates:
https://www.1limburg.nl/sites/defaul...?itok=UsYqa93a

One of the fortifications - The Five Heads:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...kertoren_2.jpg

The heads of state of the Benelux and of Germany in Maastricht, 2014 (note the protester "No Monarchy But Democracy")
https://i0.wp.com/www.cultuurblogger...14-1.jpg?ssl=1
I just heard today and it sucks... There goes my trip to the fleamarket. It’ll be extra busy when they come. And half the city will be cordoned off and it’ll be impossible to park anywhere.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I just heard today and it sucks... There goes my trip to the fleamarket. It’ll be extra busy when they come. And half the city will be cordoned off and it’ll be impossible to park anywhere.
Write a letter to the Mayor of Maastricht. Tell her the King can not celebrate his birthday, King's Day, in Maastricht because it will be too busy. Maybe she can withdraw the invitation....
Old 09-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Write a letter to the Mayor of Maastricht. Tell her the King can not celebrate his birthday, King's Day, in Maastricht because it will be too busy. Maybe she can withdraw the invitation....
I used to work with her so it might just work.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I used to work with her so it might just work.
You should have told her beforehand

So, the provinces visited from 2014 to 2020 on King's Day will be:
2014: Noord-Holland - Amstelveen (& De Rijp) (planned for 2013 but cancelled because of abdication/inauguration) [2013 - abdication & inauguration; 1997 - visit]
2015: Zuid-Holland - Dordrecht [2005]
2016: Overijssel - Zwolle [2003]
2017: Noord-Brabant - Tilburg [2007]
2018: Groningen - Groningen [2004]
2019: Utrecht - Amersfoort [2012]
2020: Limburg - Maastricht [2011]

Provinces still to be visited (year is of their last Queen's day visit by Beatrix):
Zeeland (Southwest) [2010]
Gelderland (East) [2009]
Flevoland (Center) [2006]
Drenthe (Northeast) [2002]
Friesland (North) [2008]

So, in 2021 it's about time they visit Drenthe (out of queen Beatrix' queen's 31 day visits only 1 1/2 went to Drenthe! (in 1981, 1982 and 1996 the queen combined 2 provinces). The provincial capital of Assen hasn't had a queen's day visit, so would be the most likely location. Emmen (largest municipality in Drenthe) could be a good alternative - including some 'zoo'-themed activities.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:26 PM
Majesty

The thread should read 2020 now.

Maastricht?Excellent choice!!Spot on
Old 09-23-2019, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Maastricht is a beautiful and historical choice for Koningsdag 2020.

16th of November,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre

Tags
alexia, ariane, catharina-amalia, constantijn, crown princess catharina-amalia, dutch royal family, king willem-alexander, king's day, koninginnedag, koningsdag, laurentien, maxima, national day, pieter van vollenhoven, pincess of orange, prince bernhard, prince bernhard jr., prince constantijn, prince floris, prince maurits, prince pieter-christiaan, princess aimee, princess alexia, princess alexia (2005 -), princess anita, princess annette, princess ariane, princess beatrix, princess catharina-amalia, princess laurentien, princess margriet, princess marilene, princess of orange, queen maxima, van vollenhoven, willem-alexander