The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Koninginnedag 2009, Apeldoorn

The Royal Family will celebrate on April 30th the Koninginnedag (Queen's Day) in Apeldoorn in Gelderland, by invitation of the Mayor G.J. de Graaf.

This is the fourth time that the Royal Family celebrate the Queen's Day in Gelderland. In 1983 (Vaassen and Lochem), in 1991 (Buren, Culemborg) and in 1998 (Doesburg, Zutphen).

Het Koninklijk Huis

Previous ones:
Koninginnedag 2008
Koninginnedag 2007
Koninginnedag 2006
Koninginnedag 2005
Koninginnedag 2004
Koninginnedag 2003
Koninginnedag 2002

Old 02-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Royal Highness

Date of April 30 this year, I'm waiting impatiently.
I'll be able to watch the ceremony and the beautiful still frames. I wish I could be my chance to see. Already the Queen Beatrix, Princess Maxima and Princess of wonder.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone know if the entire family is expected to attend this year?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
Does anyone know if the entire family is expected to attend this year?
Yes,HM and her sons + in-laws and the entire Apeldoorn branche.It will be a very special celebration too this year as we commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of HM Queen Juliana,and the 70th birthday of dearest Pieter van Vollenhoven on the very same day.

The city of Apeldoorn expects over a 100.000 extra spectators.The RF,and all of us.......,will be entertained in the city center and then all will go to Het Loo Palace by carriages.HM has specially choosen Apeldoorn as Het Loo Palace was the childhood home of Juliana,and to honour her brother-in-law Pieter.Princess Margriet and Pieter live in Apeldoorn in a huge bungalow adjacent to the Palace park.

Don't expect any of the grandchildren to appear,they are way too young to be amidst hundreds of thousands of yelling,screaming & singing people staring at them.They'll have many more years ahead of 'm where they can get used to that.Only one who maybe can not join all of the time will be Princess Aimée who expects her second child early july and it differs from one to the other of how 7 months can cope ofcourse.Not that I'm an expert...it just crossed my mind...But it is going to be huge,the celebration that is......
Old 02-13-2009, 03:45 AM
Royal Highness

This will surely be an extra special celebration because of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Juliana and Pieter's 70th Birthday. The ability for the Dutch people and their royal family to have such a great and colourful party together on Koninginnedag is really lovely and it will be great to see the news and photos when the time comes!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Lucien and Jacknch! It would be quite scary for small children to attend an event with 100,000 people screaming at them. I do hope that Princess Aimee is able to attend. She has looked so beautiful and happy during the previous celebrations.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, when WA and his cousins were just babies they already attended Queensday. Of course they didn't have to walk themselves, but they didn't seem too intimidated by all the spectators and press, on the contrary. And since it is the 70th birthday of Pieter van Vollenhoven and the 100th birthday of the late Queen Juliana it would be nice if the little royals will be included. Queen Juliana and prince Bernhard did a tour in a coach with their grand children in 1973 (Juliana's silver jubilee), so the present ones can opt for the same. Beatrix and her grandchildren in a carriage and Margriet and Pieter with theirs in another one.

However, I think lucien is right and they won't be attending at all.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 AM
Administrator

From our blog:

Queensday will cost 645.000 euros

The mayor and aldermen of the city of Apeldoorn announced that the total costs of Queensday that will be celebrated in Apeldoorn thios year will be 645.000 euros. 377.000 euros will be used for the festivities themselves and for communication and PR around the visit of the royal family to Apeldoorn.

The remaining 268.000 euro will be used for extra duties like regulating traffic and the éxtra festive decorations' of the city. The costs for Apeldoorn are simular to the costs other cities made in previous years. Usually the province also pays a part of the costs, so the city of Apeldoorn that this year the province of Guelders (Gelderland) will do the same.

Queensday is the national day of The Netherlands, which is celebrated on April 30th, the birthday of the late queen Juliana. On this day the Dutch royal family traditionally visits two cities to celebrate the day with the inhabitants. This year however Queensday will only be celebrated in Apeldoorn and the 70th birthday of Prof. Mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven, husband of princess Margriet and the 100th birthday of the late queen Juliana will receive special attention.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Majesty

April!!Finally!

Now we got to get to the end of this month ASAP to live one of those truly unique of all National Events:Queensday,
there is nonesuch anywhere.

Orange,it comes in many shapes and sizes:

ANP Beeldbank

courtesy Royalimages.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:21 AM
Administrator

The mayor of Apeldoorn has selected 8 children to hand over the flowers to the royal ladies on April 30th: Noa (8), Anna (7), Demi (7), Sophie (9), Jasmijn (8), Noa (9) en Anne Ruth (10) They were selected because they won a competition to make something with the theme 'Queen Beatrix and Apeldoorn'. The 8th flowergirl is Suzanne Huisman (7). Suzanne will hand over the flowers to princess Máxima as she has a personal connection with her. Suzanne was born after a pregnancy of 30 weeks, 7 years ago and her weight was less than a kilo. Princess Máxima visited the Isala clinic in Zwolle during her introduction tour of The Netherlands, where Suzanne was in a couveuse. When the parents asked if Maxima if she wanted to hold the baby, Maxima replied 'mag dat dan?' (is that allowed), and she did. The picture made it to the cover of most newspapers and magazines.

Note that there are only 8 flower girls and 9 female royals, so that might mean that one will be absent, possibly princess Aimee who will be 7 months pregnant.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

i loved the story on the flower girls! such a great story. it must be nice for maxima to see the little baby after so many years. i seem to recall that picture.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Aristocracy

Defilé in Apeldoorn at Queen's day!

I just read that there will be a defilé at Queen's day at April 30th! In the time Juliana was queen, every year were defiles at palace Soestdijk. Now - this year queen Juliana would have been 100 years old - the tradition is restored for once!

NOS.nl | Nieuws, Sport en Evenementen op Radio, TV en Internet | Nederlandse Omroep Stichting
Defilé keert terug op Koninginnedag - Koninginnedag 2009 - Special - Apeldoorn - Stentor
Defilé keert terug op Koninginnedag - Binnenland - de Volkskrant
Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The mayor of Apeldoorn has selected 8 children to hand over the flowers to the royal ladies on April 30th: Noa (8), Anna (7), Demi (7), Sophie (9), Jasmijn (8), Noa (9) en Anne Ruth (10) They were selected because they won a competition to make something with the theme 'Queen Beatrix and Apeldoorn'. The 8th flowergirl is Suzanne Huisman (7). Suzanne will hand over the flowers to princess Máxima as she has a personal connection with her. Suzanne was born after a pregnancy of 30 weeks, 7 years ago and her weight was less than a kilo. Princess Máxima visited the Isala clinic in Zwolle during her introduction tour of The Netherlands, where Suzanne was in a couveuse. When the parents asked if Maxima if she wanted to hold the baby, Maxima replied 'mag dat dan?' (is that allowed), and she did. The picture made it to the cover of most newspapers and magazines.

Note that there are only 8 flower girls and 9 female royals, so that might mean that one will be absent, possibly princess Aimee who will be 7 months pregnant.
This is a very nice story about Princess Maxima and Suzanne. I'm sure Maxima will be very touched by seeing the little girl who was once a tiny little infant. Thank you for sharing this story, Marengo.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalsa View Post
I just read that there will be a defilé at Queen's day at April 30th! In the time Juliana was queen, every year were defiles at queen's day. Now - in the year queen Juliana would have been 100 years old - the tradition is restored for once!

NOS.nl | Nieuws, Sport en Evenementen op Radio, TV en Internet | Nederlandse Omroep Stichting
Defilé keert terug op Koninginnedag - Koninginnedag 2009 - Special - Apeldoorn - Stentor
Defilé keert terug op Koninginnedag - Binnenland - de Volkskrant
Thanks for posting those articles Royalsa! I am looking forward to it, a very nice gesture to do another defile as a tribute. I suppose that the queen will also open the Juliana exhibition at the palacce on queen's day.

Now since there are only 8 flowergirls I suppose princess Irene and princess Christina won't be there, which is a pity since it will be a tribute to their mother.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Aristocracy

Another article with even more information:
Koninginnedag in teken van Juliana - Binnenland - Reformatorisch Dagblad (not available at Sunday)
Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Royal Highness

Great story about the flower girls.

Can't believe I remember the story and the photo, but some things just stay with you. I believe this is Suzanne. ANP Beeldbank It will be great to see what she looks like after all these years.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Alisa, I am impressed! I was looking for that picture! But that is Suzanne indeed.

------
From our blog:

Quote:
To mark the 100th anniversairy of Queen Juliana of The Netherlands, the traditional defilé will return on Queen's Day (Koninginnedag). April 30th is the official birthday of Queen Beatrix, which she celebrates on the date of her mother's birthday. When queen Juliana was still reigning this day was traditionally celebrated with a defilé at Soestdijk Palace. During the defilé a colorful parade of people representing various aspects of Dutch society would pass the steps of the palace, where queen Juliana and her family accepted flowers and gifts. Queen Beatrix however changed this day and decided to visit two cities each year, where the family would celebrate this day with the inhabitants.
The defilé won't be held at Soestdijk Palace though, but at Palace Het Loo in Apeldoorn. Only inhabitants of Apeldoorn and the eleven surrounding villages will be able to participate in the delfilé, though spectators from all over the country will lining the route. After the defilé is over the queen will open a special exhibition at the palace about her mother.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post

Can't believe I remember the story and the photo, but some things just stay with you. I believe this is Suzanne. ANP Beeldbank It will be great to see what she looks like after all these years.
i agree, i'm most curious myself. i'm sure it's the same for maxima! must be such a great surprise seeing how grown up she is. the picture was definitely very popular at the time. suzanne was so tiny!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Majesty

Queensday 2009 Apeldoorn,program.

Koninginnedag in Apeldoorn - Koninginnedag in Apeldoorn

Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post

Thank you for posting this, Alisa. It is such a beautiful and sweet photo. I am also curious to see what Suzanne looks like now.