Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Majesty

ugliest city? for a second I thought that was in the official announcement

Old 09-02-2016, 12:12 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I thought a pre-warning may be handy for the non-Dutch members .

Tilburg was voted ugliest cities in a national poll a few years ago IIRC, though I am not sure how scientific the poll was. These last years the city has been doing its best to make it nicer. I am sure they will try to guide the royal family through the better-looking areas of the city.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
ugliest city? for a second I thought that was in the official announcement
Nope, several cities in the NL are called ugly, it just depends on who you're asking
Old 09-02-2016, 01:48 PM
Majesty

now Im intrigued and am looking at images of the city online
Old 02-15-2018, 06:27 AM
Administrator

The RVD released a statement from the King, Queen and former Queen Beatrix about the death of former prime minister Ruud Lubbers:

Quote:
Ruud Lubbers heeft ons land en de internationale gemeenschap tientallen jaren in vele functies gediend. Als minister-president zette hij zich twaalf jaar lang energiek in voor economisch en sociaal herstel. Latere generaties konden daarop voortbouwen.
Wij gedenken Ruud Lubbers als een groot staatsman met een indrukwekkend verantwoordelijkheidsgevoel. Wij gedenken hem ook als een moedig en invoelend mens. Zijn familie wensen wij kracht toe in deze moeilijke dagen
The remember Lubbers as a great statesman and praise his sense of responsibility, courage and compassion.

Lubbers and Beatrix were said to have enjoyed an excellent working relationship. He was prime minister in a difficult period (the 80-ties) when even Princess Irene was politically active in protesting against the placement of NATO rockets in the Netherlands. Much to the embarrassement of her elder sister.

In 2013 he did make the faux pas of revealing a bit too much. He was invited by Queen Juliana to come to Soestdijk Palace. She told him: 'Mr Lubbers, I have known you for a long time. That is why I want to hear your judgement. I am so worried about my grandson'. She was concerned that the crown prince was not up to the job and lacked 'the right antenna'. The prime minister assured Juliana that he had children that were slightly older than the prince and added: 'there are a lot of possibilities in him. I have all confidence in him'.

In the same interview he revealed that when the crown prince wanted to present Maxima to his mother, he adviced Beatrix to 'finally be nice' to a girlfriend that was introduced to her and to judge later on. The Queen called him afterwards, saying that she had a lot to explain to prince Claus and 'the other boys', as they were surprised by her lack of criticism.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Annual Review Royal House 2017 has been published. In addition to a paper version, an e-magazine has also been made this year!

https://magazines.koninklijkhuis.nl/.../2017/01/index
Old 09-19-2018, 01:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Dutch Royal Family step in to save the Houis Doorn

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...P=share_btn_tw
Old 09-19-2018, 03:01 AM
Administrator

I can't see how the Dutch RF stepped in at all... Princess Beatrix opened two exhibitions, and that is that.

The article is filled with mistakes. Huis Doorn was not bought from the mother of Audrey Hepburn but from Audrey's great-grandmother Baroness Wilhelmina Cornelia van Heemstra, nee Jkvr. de Beaufort, a dowager at the time.

The place certainly is not a ruin -I visited it this spring so I could see that for myself- and is not at risk of becoming one at this point. But obviously the state does not feel it is one of its obligations to maintain this museum at the same level as other state museums. Neither is it visited by a great number of people, which is a pity because it is a fascinating place.

It is run by very dedicated volunteers for the most part.

This part of the article is particulary strange:

Quote:
She had used her blood ties to persuade Wilhelm not to invade the Netherlands during the war, in which the country remained neutral. Academic research is soon expected to definitively prove what much of the evidence suggests: that the Dutch queen later repaid Wilhelm by letting him cross the border to safety.
In other words: nothing is proven at all. Wilhelmina did not persuade Wilhelm and neither did she allow him to cross the border. She was highly surprised by his arrival at Eysden and later evaded him like the plague.

Tags
christmas, count claus-casimir, countess eloise, countess leonore, countess luana, countess zaria, dutch royal family, king willem-alexander, pieter van vollenhoven, prince bernhard, prince bernhard jr., prince constantijn, prince floris, prince maurits, prince pieter-christiaan, princess aimee, princess alexia (2005 -), princess anita, princess annette, princess ariane, princess beatrix, princess catharina-amalia, princess laurentien, princess mabel, princess margriet, princess marilene, queen maxima, xmas