Funeral of Prince Bernhard: December 11, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
susanstotz said:
(& laurentien elegant?? only a half year ago she went bra-less to the ball at the wedding of the crownprince of denmark with mary)
Just because Laurentien has made some fashion mis steps doesn't mean that she cant turn herself around and pull off a good outfit now and then. You can't judge her forever because of one bad fashion decision.

Vicomtesse said:
Just because Laurentien has made some fashion mis steps doesn't mean that she cant turn herself around and pull off a good outfit now and then. You can't judge her forever because of one bad fashion decision.
perfectly true. I just can not see her turning around this time.
(if we all had the same opinion it would be a very boaring forum)

susanstotz said:
laurentien elegant?? only a half year ago she went bra-less to the ball at the wedding of the crownprince of denmark with mary)
Are there pictures of Laurentien bra-less in Denmark ???

There are pictures of her at the wedding, many of them. If you look back at the older threads of Princess Laurentien from May, you should find them. Or else look in the Some Old, Something New... forum for the Frederik and Mary wedding thread and I'm sure that you will find them there as well.

Thanks for the link Tina! :) I wish I could read the articles, but I did watch a few of the videos.

After the funeral

What happened after the funeral? Here there is normally a tea or something so people can gather, talk & offer condolences in person. Did the family get together and relax after a stressfilled day? Did all the royal dignitaries meet after with the family?

Tundra

I was in total sadness during the funeral service which I saw for the first time through live streaming NOS last Saturday. It was truly unspeakable and indescribable. I was sreaming at the screen saying "don't leave us, Prince Bernhard" upon watching his coffin was being brought into the royal vault. This feeling is not easy to bear. That was the saddest moment I ever saw on royalty. It is not easy to lose him. I PRAY THAT HE WILL REST PEACEFULLY IN ETERNITY. GOODBYE PRINCE BERNHARD.

2004121116365411_bern.jpg

Did Prince Bernhard's wife Annette go to the funeral? I did not see any pictures of her.

Annette!

She looked very nice!

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 350
Tina said:
Annette!

She looked very nice!

Thanks Tina very much for the picture of Annette; I had not seen a picture of her at the funeral either.

She does indeed look very nice and very appropriate for such a solemn occasion.

Tina said:
Annette!

She looked very nice!
yes, I like annette and marilene, the wife of maurits more than the entirely different laurentien and mabel.

(but I know a woman who is in the same age group as they are and she dislikes them intensely, because they are too perfect, too sweet and low key, there is always something someone does not like)

susanstotz said:
yes, I like annette and marilene, the wife of maurits more than the entirely different laurentien and mabel.

(but I know a woman who is in the same age group as they are and she dislikes them intensely, because they are too perfect, too sweet and low key, there is always something someone does not like)

I do agree that the appearances of Marilene and Annette was much better than Laurentien and Mabel's appearances at the wedding -- although in Mabel's defence she is pregnant and further along than Marilene, so it might've been difficult to find appropriate yet nice maternity clothes for the occasion.

Unfortunately, as I like Princess Margriet's daughter-in-laws very much, they (and hopefully soon Anita and Aimee) will never be as high profile as Maxima, Laurentien and Mabel. I wish they were however, as I enjoy them very much whenever I see them out and about whether it be Queensday or more solemn occasions such as this one.

Alexandria said:
I do agree that the appearances of Marilene and Annette was much better than Laurentien and Mabel's appearances at the wedding -- although in Mabel's defence she is pregnant and further along than Marilene, so it might've been difficult to find appropriate yet nice maternity clothes for the occasion.

Unfortunately, as I like Princess Margriet's daughter-in-laws very much, they (and hopefully soon Anita and Aimee) will never be as high profile as Maxima, Laurentien and Mabel. I wish they were however, as I enjoy them very much whenever I see them out and about whether it be Queensday or more solemn occasions such as this one.
they are probably happier, allowed to lead a normal life and they seem to me less frantic to be loved by the public.

re mabel, if you saw her on tv she looked at the camara's now and then (do they see me being upset??). I do not know, she is definitely intelligent, the rest is up in air.
a very nice man I know said "het is geen goed meisje", (she is not a good girl)Or maybe she is just very misundestood and unlucky in the way things seem.

this is not about bernard at all.........

It's funny that the women/girlfriends of Maurits, Bernhard jr., Pieter-Christiaan and Floris (all sons of Margriet) all have brown hair and Willem-Alexander, John Fristo & Constantijns wifes have all blond hair

Tina said:
It's funny that the women/girlfriends of Maurits, Bernhard jr., Pieter-Christiaan and Floris (all sons of Margriet) all have brown hair and Willem-Alexander, John Fristo & Constantijns wifes have all blond hair
dutch newspapers commented on the fact that maxima toned her blondness down after her engagement to willem alexander and that she might have been advised to. Her personality is quite vibrant enough for the dutch.

I never saw it so clearly untill now but it is true.
There is nothing you can say about it, you can only reflect on the fact.
traditionally men like blonds because it reminds them of innocence and sun.

a really touching picture taken at Soestdijk as they bid farewell to Prince Bernhard.. (look at Maxima's face...)

(by Ruud Taal / Capital Photos)

also several more from bandphoto/uppa
The Dutch Royal Family at the steps of the Palace Soestdijk saying their last farewell to Prince Bernhard. Date: 05.12.2004.

Last edited:
The emotion on all of their faces is overwhelming isn't? Especially Maurits, Marilene and Floris in this one. Bernhard was clearly the patriarch of his family and was very much loved by them.

Thank you for these pictures purple_platinum.

This was the funeral procession I watched from a window in a house (of a friend) on the main square (next to the city hall where they turned the corner to arrive at the square). Among other things, I recall one of the soldiers standing guard fainting.

A little over 7 months prior I had seen the prince arrive (from the Northern side while all other guests arrived from the Southern side - passing right in front of us) at the old church (founded in 1246) (the burial vault is in the 'new church' (founded in 1396)) for the wedding of his grandson Friso and his bride Mabel.

Back
Top Bottom