Dutch State Visits: General Discussion, Suggestions, Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koningin

Gentry
City
Greater Poland
Country
Poland
What do You think, which countries TM will visit in next year ?

I noticed something: in 2006 royal couple visited Australia & New Zealand, and now, ten years later, they visit this country again. Also, in 2006 Beatrix made a state visit to Belgium. Now, ten years later, Philippe and Mathilde visit the Netherlands.

Maybe in 2007 Willem and Maxima will visit Bhutan or Slovenia ? ;)

My dream: official visit to Argentina (and my country Poland, but there is no chance) :)

I noticed something: in 2006 royal couple visited Australia & New Zealand, and now, ten years later, they visit this country again. Also, in 2006 Beatrix made a state visit to Belgium. Now, ten years later, Philippe and Mathilde visit the Netherlands.

My dream: official visit to Argentina (and my country Poland, but there is no chance) :)

They have already been in Poland in 2014 :

http://static0.trouw.nl/static/photo/2014/6/16/9/20140624120301/album_large_2329254.jpg

and

http://www.royalglitter.com/wp-cont...rtdiadeem.-Copyright-PPE-Nieboer-778x1024.jpg

Last edited:
My predictions for 2017:
- State visit to Columbia or Peru (autumn)
- State visit to Sweden (maybe may or june)
- State visit to Bhutan (october/november)
And maybe someone will paid a state visit to the Netherlands ;)

Was the 2006 visit to Aus and N-Ze an official state visit? It's not on the list on the website of the royal house https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/onderwerpen/staatsbezoeken/inhoud/overzicht-uitgaande-bezoeken

The visits for 2017 have not been announced yet, but i assume that it will be countries that are of trade-importence to the NL..

it wouldn't be a State Visit because they were just the heirs. It was only an Official Visit.

Indeed,as ONLY Heads of State pay State Visits,or official visits if the protocol & program discribe it as such.

2006 was an Official Visit only as you correctly say.

My predictions for 2017:
- State visit to Columbia or Peru (autumn)
- State visit to Sweden (maybe may or june)
- State visit to Bhutan (october/november)
And maybe someone will paid a state visit to the Netherlands ;)

I agree with you on that it would be nice with a state visit to Sweden. If it not happens this year, it would probably be in the years to come.

What rumors are there for state visits this fall? What could we expect?

I think a visit to or from the UK is quite possible soon

That would be the reason yes. But I suspect that the Spanish government will have other priorities in Europe. A state visit to larger EU countries seems more logical at this point.

Last edited:
Because Willem Alexander was King before Felipe ?

Yes. It the same with Belgium. Because King Philippe came on the throne so short after King Willem-Alexander they also paid not Introductions Visit to Belgium.

I have not read anything about a visit to the Netherlands.

The calendar is quite full until early 2018 ... probably the next trips this year for King Felipe and Queen Letizia are United Kingdom, Morocco, Brazil and Algeria, and Peru at the beginning of 2018.

The Dutch royal couple has made several choices with no coherent logic, so to say: to South Korea, Poland, France, Australia and New Zealand. A royal State Visit to Denmark (while an Introduction Visit was made, but maybe being the King's Godmother was a reason) and a royal State Visit from Belgiump, besides State Visits from Israel, China and Argentina. Germany has not had a State Visit but annual visits to a German Bundesland (Sachsen, Bayern, Niedersachsen, Württemberg, etc.). The fellow Benelux and Nassau-ruled country Luxembourg still has not had a State Visit, while Italy and the Vatican are on the program now.

Germany has not had a State Visit but annual visits to a German Bundesland (Sachsen, Bayern, Niedersachsen, Württemberg, etc.). The fellow Benelux and Nassau-ruled country Luxembourg still has not had a State Visit, while Italy and the Vatican are on the program now.

I think the reason that there where no State Visit to Germany and Luxembourg where that Queen Beatric paid State Visits to both countries not long before her abdication. She was in Germany in 2011 and in Luxembourg in 2012. And the first offical Visit to Germany to Hesse and Baden-Württemberg in 2013 who had been planned before it ws known that Willem-Alexander would be King at the the time of the Visit was changed into an official Visit with first a Stop in Berlin where the where officially greeted by the Bundespräsident.

In October we'll have a stare visit to Portugal. What do you think of 2018?

My opinion:
- In spring a state visit to Sweden
- In autumn (maybe september) a state visit to one of South America countries (Chile or Colombia, not Argentina yet)
- President of Vietnam will pay a state visit to the Netherlands
- King and Queen of Spain will pay state visit to the Netherlands

My only hope is a Dutch State Visit to the UK. That would be so amazing!
Since the Dutch and the British share Shell (which is a huge company), I kind of think it may be a possibility in the near future. They are pretty important trading partners, and I think they both hope they can remain trading partners despite of Brexit.

Is it likely a state visit from Spain to the Netherlands?

In many ways I suspect now is one of the most opportune times for a Dutch state visit to the UK. The Government seem to be prioritising highlighting links to European countries ahead of Brexit and with the King being one head of state due a State Visit having not been invited before I'm guessing its a strong possibility.

My opinion:
- In spring a state visit to Sweden
- In autumn (maybe september) a state visit to one of South America countries (Chile or Colombia, not Argentina yet)
- President of Vietnam will pay a state visit to the Netherlands
- King and Queen of Spain will pay state visit to the Netherlands
I assume that is reasonble guesses or predictions. Especially I hope for a state visit to Sweden, however I don't know how likely it is. Additionally, the postsponed state visit from Jordan is likely to take place next year, so not sure of how many incoming state visits they could manage.

I think a state visit to UK is a wish, for any European monarchy now. I guess their focus is elsewhere, and the purpose of such a state visit would indeed be strange.

I'm not sure about a SV to the UK. With the Brexit it might become a priority to strengthen relations with European countries. And let's not forget that the new Monarchs of Spain have already payed a visit to London. So I'm not giving up hope for a Dutch Visit to the UK.

I'm not sure about a SV to the UK. With the Brexit it might become a priority to strengthen relations with European countries. And let's not forget that the new Monarchs of Spain have already payed a visit to London. So I'm not giving up hope for a Dutch Visit to the UK.

Not with the present stand in the Brexit negotiations,a SV would be unwise and NL can not conduct on it's own regarding policies.UK first has to be removed from the EU,and maybe then SV makes sense at one time later.Much later.

But I think we will see Charles,as in HM King Charles,here sooner for a quick visit after he becomes the
new Monarch.

Last edited:
Despite four Anglo-Dutch wars, the Dutch have always tried to keep the UK aboard as a counterbalance, as the Benelux is surrounded by the Big Three of the EU: Germany, France and the UK.

Also for the UK, the Netherlands have always been a close ally while Belgium/Luxembourg always were more on the axis Berlin-Paris.

The Netherlands share various giant companies with the UK, amongst them Shell, Unilever. It would not surprise me when the Dutch Government supports a State Visit to the UK as a signal: sadly you are leave us, but you remain our neighbour overseas, you remain a NATO-partner, you remain a major economic partner for us, etc.

But ONLY when Máxima manegs to get her shameful appearances back in order again and does appear as a Queen indeed and not as a scarecrow, otherwise she can better stay home (read: globetrotting to Nigeria and the likes).

Back
Top Bottom