Dutch State Visits: General Discussion, Suggestions, Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello! Have you any bets for state visits in 2018?

Any guess is as good as it is, there is no systematic in it, as far as I can see.

2017 - to Portugal (republic)
2017 - to Italy (republic)
2017 - to the Holy See (monarchy)

2016 - to New Zealand (monarchy)
2016 - to Australia (monarchy)
2016 - to France (republic)

2015 - to China (republic)
2015 - to Denmark (monarchy)

2014 - to Korea (republic)
2014 - to Japan (monarchy)
2014 - to Poland (republic)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 - from Argentina (republic)

2016 - from Belgium (monarchy)

2014 - from China (republic)

It has been a hectic year in 2018 for the Dutch Royal Couple when it comes to state visits, 5 outwards and 2 incoming (to come in November and December). Wonder if this is possible to follow up in 2019?

Any news about a state visit to the netherlands? I would like to see a Danish state visit to Netherlands and of course a spanish state visit to netherlands (i dont think this will happen in 2019)

There are no state visits in the Dutch agenda at all for the moment. But Sweden would be a logical choice considering they visited the UK & Denmark, Luxembourg and the larger European republics already. There was no SV to Germany yet, but they are going there annually & visits to Bremen, Mecklenburg and Brandenburg are already planned for 2019. Spain is not a likely candidate if they stick to protocol, as the Spanish king should visit first.

If they do go to Sweden this year I do hope that the Queen remembers that the return presentation of the Swedish king and queen during their Dutch SV of 2009 was with tiaras & will follow Queen Silvia's example. Sadly the return event in 1987 was without any tiaras. For the state banquet Queen Silvia used her grand Brazilian tiara which I suppose has enough diamonds for two (or three).

Last edited:
I hope a Swedish state visit is high on the list, espcially considering the splendour that would mean. 10 years since the last visit means that it would be about time, even though there was an official Swedish visit to NL in 2014.

If they do go to Sweden this year I do hope that the Queen remembers that the return presentation of the Swedish king and queen during their Dutch SV of 2009 was with tiaras & will follow Queen Silvia's example. Sadly the return event in 1987 was without any tiaras. For the state banquet Queen Silvia used her grand Brazilian tiara which I suppose has enough diamonds for two (or three).

Wouldn't it be great to see the Braganca tiara and the full Stuart tiara next to each other.

I hope a Swedish state visit is high on the list, espcially considering the splendour that would mean. 10 years since the last visit means that it would be about time, even though there was an official Swedish visit to NL in 2014.

Indeed. The new King packed out for his Swedish guests, while it was no State Visit at all. He organized a "small" diner in the biggest hall of the Royal Palace in Amsterdam. But Carl Gustav is the longest reigning continental monarch and a State Visit to him seems logic to me.

https://www.rtlboulevard.nl/sites/d...2014-04-05%20at%2009.44.06.png?itok=MScF39FCq

https://www.rtlboulevard.nl/sites/d...02014-04-05%20at%2009.43.11.png?itok=y5PHncpb

I think his cousin Margrethe II might disagree with you ;)

Have they ever been seen next to each other before ?

Don't think so. Queen Juliana wore the aqumarine tiara in Sweden and Queen Beatrix the Württemberg diamond and pearl tiara in the smaller setting. And Queen Silvia wore the leuchtenberg sapphires in NL. Don't remember if King Gustaf VI. Adolf and Queen Louise paid a State Visit to NLand if so which tiara she used.

Don't think so. Queen Juliana wore the aqumarine tiara in Sweden and Queen Beatrix the Württemberg diamond and pearl tiara in the smaller setting. And Queen Silvia wore the leuchtenberg sapphires in NL. Don't remember if King Gustaf VI. Adolf and Queen Louise paid a State Visit to NLand if so which tiara she used.
Google tells me that Gustav Adolf and Juliana made State Visits to each other in the 50s, but I haven't seen any tiara pics. Though I did see that Louise wore the Leuchtenberg at Juliana's enthronement festivities.

QUEEN JULIANA'S STATE VISIT TO SWEDEN MAY 1957 (No Sound)

QUEEN JULIANA'S STATE VISIT TO SWEDEN MAY 1957 (No Sound)

So Queen Juliana wore the big sapphire tiara in Sweden and Queen Louise the nine proinge tiara.

So Queen Juliana wore the big sapphire tiara in Sweden and Queen Louise the nine proinge tiara.
And at a Gala Performance at the Royal Opera Queen Louise wore the Leucthenberg Sapphires and Queen Juliana The Mellerio Ruby Tiara.

I think his cousin Margrethe II might disagree with you ;)

Oh yes I forgot, but the King has already made a State Visit to her, so she escaped me. You are right, Margrethe II is the doyenne of the continental Sovereigns.

And at a Gala Performance at the Royal Opera Queen Louise wore the Leucthenberg Sapphires and Queen Juliana The Mellerio Ruby Tiara.

There were two diadem events, Juliana wore sapphires at one evening and rubies at the other.

Sapphires for the State Banquet:
https://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/nl/geheugen/view?coll=ngvn&identifier=KONB05:3353

Rubies for the Royal Opera:
https://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/nl/geheugen/view?coll=ngvn&identifier=KONB05:3354

Last edited by a moderator:
Royalblog writes that the only German state that has not been visited by the king and queen during their visits of German Länder since 2013 is the state of Berlin. He says that it is expected that Berlin will be visited in 2020 in a state visit that will conclude the annual visits to these various German states.

Last edited:
Royalblog writes that the only German state that has not been visited by the king and queen during their visits of German Länder since 2013 is the state of Berlin. He says that it is expected that Berlin will be visited in 2020 in a state visit that will conclude the annual visits to these various German states.

That seems a good guess to me, I must say.

But at their first country Visit in 2013 they wher first received by the President Joachim Gauck at Bellevue Palace befopre travelling to Wiesbaden later.

It is also interesting that this year there will be 2 vistis to gErman states. usually it weas on per year with usually 2 countries.

According to RoyalBlogNL there could be Dutch state visit to sweden later this year and maybe a state visit to Austria... I really would like to see a State visit from Spain or Japan to the Netherlands, or a return state visit from Denmark..
A danish State visit to the Netherlands is overdue as the last one was during the reign of Queen Juliana.

That a long long time ago!

Having waited this long, the question is whether Queen Margarethe will make another state visit to the Netherlands, or leave it to King Frederick? My guess is that QMII takes the view that in her reign she has made a state visit to the Netherlands, and she will probably leave it to the next generation to make the next one.

Having waited this long, the question is whether Queen Margarethe will make another state visit to the Netherlands, or leave it to King Frederick? My guess is that QMII takes the view that in her reign she has made a state visit to the Netherlands, and she will probably leave it to the next generation to make the next one.

Had thought of that too ,on the plus side at least the Netherlands is not too long of a journey from Denmark.

According to RoyalBlogNL there could be Dutch state visit to sweden later this year and maybe a state visit to Austria... I really would like to see a State visit from Spain or Japan to the Netherlands, or a return state visit from Denmark..

I can't wait to see a Dutch state visit to Sweden. I am sure there will be plenty of glamour and bling on both sides.

The dutch have a bit of a strange Politik for incoming State Visits. The last full State Visit of Queen Elizabeth was to Queen Juliana in the 1950's. And after that there have been 3 dutch State Visits to the UK.

The dutch have a bit of a strange Politik for incoming State Visits. The last full State Visit of Queen Elizabeth was to Queen Juliana in the 1950's. And after that there have been 3 dutch State Visits to the UK.

Not quite sure how the dynamic works. Is it the Dutch that, in the reigns of Beatrix and W-A, haven't invited some of the existing reigning monarchs like Elizabeth and Daisy, or is it that the other royal houses have taken the view that their monarchs have, within their reigns, made outgoing state visits to the Netherlands and will not be making any more?

Not quite sure how the dynamic works. Is it the Dutch that, in the reigns of Beatrix and W-A, haven't invited some of the existing reigning monarchs like Elizabeth and Daisy, or is it that the other royal houses have taken the view that their monarchs have, within their reigns, made outgoing state visits to the Netherlands and will not be making any more?
Queen Elizabeth II. has for example paid 5 State Visits to Germanys, 3 to Norway and there are more examples so it would be strange if she would appply another Policiy to the Netherlands. And Queen Margrethe paid last year her second State Visit to Germany for example.

Queen Elizabeth II. has for example paid 5 State Visits to Germanys, 3 to Norway and there are more examples so it would be strange if she would appply another Policiy to the Netherlands. And Queen Margrethe paid last year her second State Visit to Germany for example.

The only logical explanation I can think of is that the rules for outgoing state visits to republic's may be different as the incumbent is different. In the last decade or so, we have seen the rise of introductory visits by new monarchs, that probably removes the need for a state visit.

The only logical explanation I can think of is that the rules for outgoing state visits to republic's may be different as the incumbent is different. In the last decade or so, we have seen the rise of introductory visits by new monarchs, that probably removes the need for a state visit.
But then as i said Queen Elizabeth made State Visits to each of the three norwegian Kings, to 2 danish monarchs and 2 swedish Kings.

But then as i said Queen Elizabeth made State Visits to each of the three norwegian Kings, to 2 danish monarchs and 2 swedish Kings.

Pass. Perhaps it is futile to try and create a framework to evaluate these decisions where there isn't one! ?

Back
Top Bottom