Dutch State Visit to Mexico: November 3-6, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She didn't wear one later on the day yesterday:)She lent it to Dazz..

I wanted the other hat, the day 1 white with flower hat :p

Can Maxima not wear a hat on a state visit when the Queen is wearing one?
Do we know if the royals will leave Mexico when the visit is over or stay a few days? Maybe Maxima goes to Argentina?

I really like this picture of Maxima, its quite cute

I don't understand... who is Dazz? Dazzling?

Me, Dazz is short for Dazzling

I liked Maxima better with the Hat on too! CP Maxima looks like she and Queen Bea get along so well.....what a treat!

Very beautiful pictures of our royal family, i am very praud of them !! Thank you.

Mexican slang is very different from Aergentinean slang and Maxima probably didn't know the meaning either! but why the make a big deal ? of course he didn't mean to say a rude word!

Isn't those la pirámide del sol y la pirámide de la luna??

That's right. They're in Teotihuacan and behind them is the piramide de la luna behind them

Jeans and comfy shoes is the best way to go to those pyramids! Climbing isn't easy! nor it is going down.

And I do doubt that Maxima knew that word, my sister in law is Argentinan too and she had a smilir slip with the same word :ROFLMAO:

Mexican slang is very different from Aergentinean slang and Maxima probably didn't know the meaning either! but why the make a big deal ? of course he didn't mean to say a rude word!

The dutch minister of economic affairs appologized to the Prince as it was one of her civil servants who made the error.The Prince couldn't possibly have known,the civil servant should have,the speech was approved by the government as the Prince can not make an official speech without that approval.And apparently our government civil servants didn't know the difference either.Mexico doesn't think anything of it,they chuckle over it and think it a nice gesture the Prince tryed to speak in their language.

In all of South America this word doesn't mean that much let alone rude,only in Mexico this one word,chingada,has another connotation and they use the word corriendo instead.Well then,so be it.duh....

Teotihuacan today:

http://www.royalimages.nl/search.pp?productionjobid=35305&flush=1

courtesy royalimages.

Last edited:
In all of South America this word doesn't mean that much let alone rude,only in Mexico this one word,chingada,has another connotation and they use the word corriendo instead.Well then,so be it.duh....

UH??? First of all MExico is North America, but is a comon European mistake to think of it as South America.

What would you have think if he had used the Fword in a speech in english?. Well this word is something like that...

it doesnt mean running! hahahaha. It is indeed mexican and I hadn't heard other countries using it and it is very rude, like if in English he'd say "Go to F...ing hell", that was pretty much the context where the prince said it. I know it! I'm mexican and I use it more often than I should :p We also use it as a verb and sending someone to "chingar a su madre" means literaly go F your mum

Is hard for me to translate it, but he used one of the top swearing words, and it was perfectly used. It is just not duh!, who ever wrote this for him should be really ashamed for not double checking the meaning of words, in spanish, swearing is different for each country, perhaps having a national checking the speech, would have been a good idea. And if he did it out of his own trying to sound mexican, perhaps someone tricked him . Definetly it is not corriendo(running) or used as corriendo.

Here's the use from the Spanish Royal Academy, Diccionario de la lengua española - Vigésima segunda edición as you can see is only used in Mexico and in el savlador (which used to be Mexico), it doesnt make sense in South America or Spain for that matter

What I'm trying to explain here, cause I feel you are underminng it because you don't know the context or the word is that it was a very rude thing to say, but people here found it funny and no biggie, they understood it was a mistake.

YouTube - Camaron que se duerme se lo lleva la Chingada - Willem-Alexander

Last edited by a moderator:
:mexicoflag::dutchflag2:
People make mistakes all the time so don't make such a big deal out of it,when it isn't seen as such by official Mexico.The Prince had no idea about it and that's the last thing I say on this as I don't do nonsense.If one makes a simular mistake in english in a simular situation then so be it,these things do happen occasionally and un-intentionally.

That is all it is,an unintentional error.I know spanish good enough to really give you an example of rude words used both here and in the americas,enough to make your screen blush,but nothing of the kind happened.So,my Queen and TRH can come back home safely<remove comment>:)

In a meeting with the dutch press the Prince also stated that he has sleepless nights on the critisism concerning the holiday home in Mozambique.HM stated that she can very well understand the wish of her son and daughter-in-law to have a holiday home somewhere safe and protected,like she has in Tavernelle,Italy,and she kindly requested the press to report honestly in this and other Royal related matters;"As those involved know full well what is true and what is "coloured ïn".
Alexander stated that his work in and for The Netherlands is THE most important work to him.

"Don't make a whale out of a shrimp" the Prince kindly requested laughingly.....grin...

HM also stated that the recent critisism did have an effect on her,it touches you,ofcourse,but she is happy for the way the PM handled matters correctly.

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe

It's just one flight up they said......
http://gpdhome.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c648253ef0128755f1f8d970c-pi

TRH gave an impressive demonstration of how fit they are getting up the 248 steps of the 75 meter high pyramid in one go.

courtesy hja

Video: a 25 minutes report of the State Visit:

http://koningshuis.nos.nl/uitzendingen/bekijk/id/24/title/nos-de-koningin-in-mexico/ondemand/yes

Last edited:
It's just one flight up they said......
http://gpdhome.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c648253ef0128755f1f8d970c-pi

TRH gave an impressive demonstration of how fit they are getting up the 248 steps of the 75 meter high pyramid in one go.

courtesy hja

Well, technically Lucien, that would be one flight of stairs - just a very tall one ;):p

Did Queen Bea not go to the top of the pyramid with W-A and Máxima? I understand if she opted to stay at the bottom, I climbed a similar amount of stairs at the Batu Caves in Malaysia last year (I think there was 270ish stairs). The view from the top of the pyramid must have been amazing though, well worth the work-out to get there!

:mexicoflag::dutchflag2:
People make mistakes all the time so don't make such a big deal out of it,when it isn't seen as such by official Mexico.The Prince had no idea about it and that's the last thing I say on this as I don't do nonsense.If one makes a simular mistake in english in a simular situation then so be it,these things do happen occasionally and un-intentionally.

That is all it is,an unintentional error.I know spanish good enough to really give you an example of rude words used both here and in the americas,enough to make your screen blush,but nothing of the kind happened.So,my Queen and TRH can come back home safely<remove comment>:)

It was perhaps not rude but it wasunappropiate for a Prince in a public act, and him not knowing!!! come on!!! Give me a break!!! he should know exactly what he says, he is representing Netherlands!!!

I understand you defend him cause he is your prince, but, it was a mistake big enough to make it to the news on television and front pages, unlike the rest of the visit, and honey... trust a national mexican when they tell you about the use of a word in their country. What is annoying me is that Im trying here to explain you guys why was it wrong and you keep acting as if you knew mexican slang better than me

You know spanish well, yet you were wrong in your translation, it doesnt mean run!!!!!. And if you can make my screen blush in spanish, I can make yours go RED!

Avrilo, I already understood, I'm colombian I know exactly what chi**da means, he made a HUGE mistake, and also, the reporter on the video you posted said at the end "does he know/understand what he said??"

Okay, I think that everyone now knows that what Alexander said can be considered inappropriate and was obviously a mistake/error that the speech writer did not catch before printing and putting the speech in front of the Prince. If I have read correctly, the Minister of Economic Affairs has apologised for the mistake, so can we please move on??

Thank you,
JessRulz - Dutch Forum Moderator

Last edited:
Well, technically Lucien, that would be one flight of stairs - just a very tall one ;):p

Did Queen Bea not go to the top of the pyramid with W-A and Máxima? I understand if she opted to stay at the bottom, I climbed a similar amount of stairs at the Batu Caves in Malaysia last year (I think there was 270ish stairs). The view from the top of the pyramid must have been amazing though, well worth the work-out to get there!

The view is breathtaking Jess:

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c648253ef0120a672fbe6970c-pi

courtesy hja

HM did clime the pyramid during the state visit in 1964 and then again during her honeymoon which was partially in Mexico too.

Last edited:
i felt bad for willem-alexander and his proverb, he obviously didn't know that the word would have a strong meaning. diplomatic mistakes like this happen often though as people try to incorporate (sometimes not rightly) words that would relate to the place they visit: not long ago, the president of ecuador refered to spain as the "republic of spain", which is an even worse mistake than trying to adapt slang in a language that is not your own.
on the other hand, i was pleased to hear him speaking a bit of spanish - he obviously has a distinctive argentinian accent!
however, the visit seemed to be a success on the whole, i loved the pictures in the pyramids, they are supperb!

Not just the view in Teotihuacan is amazing but the vibe. Some people go there to "charge themselves" with Energy. They visited very nice sites! I hope they take home a good image of Mex.

Back
Top Bottom