Dutch & Japanese Photoshoot in Apeldoorn: August 18, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That really is great news, The Watcher! :flowers:
I'm really looking forward to this one! :)

whoo-hoo one of my predictions so far was right (ok but more like a third since I said that Elizabeth and Margarthe would be in the picture too) so that is good for what ? a third of a point :ROFLMAO:

Great news! Thanks for the information! :flowers:
I'm really looking forward to see new pictures of the family!

Oppie said:
whoo-hoo one of my predictions so far was right (ok but more like a third since I said that Elizabeth and Margarthe would be in the picture too) so that is good for what ? a third of a point :ROFLMAO:

Hahaha, yes I remember someone stated that in the prediction thread to show the Japanese that female monarchs rule! So it was you! Just brilliant! :lol:Maybe we can fly Margrethe and Elizabeth in too? What great fun that would be! :cool:

Great! I was hoping that Mathilde and Elisabeth would be included in this get-together, also.

Yay! Another photosession. Were will it be held?

ok...they are still alive then! i thought tehy got lost in italy.

Sounds great! Can't wait to see the little princesses together.:wub:

I can't wait to see Aiko with Amalia and Alexia! This should be a wonderful photoshoot. Thanks for the heads-up.

wonderful news! are the japanese royals spending time with the dutch ones? what a nice friendship between two apparently distant countries. i am really looking forward to see amalia and aiko playing together... :)

This should be a great shoot. I think it's great that so many of the current heirs to the throne seem to be introducing their children to each other at a young age.

kwanfan said:
I think it's great that so many of the current heirs to the throne seem to be introducing their children to each other at a young age.

Me too. Is this Masako's first visit outside Japan since being treated for depression? Is this a state visit or just friendly?
I've always been curious about Masako, they say she used to be a little ball of fire... until she married into the Royal House. I'm hope she's coping better.:)

Sassy, somewhere I think I read that this is her first visit outside Japan since 2001.

You all were right!! If this isn't 'silent diplomacy' by clever Beatrix, I don't know what is! Thumbs up for her, I say!

Emily said:
Sassy, somewhere I think I read that this is her first visit outside Japan since 2001.

Wow, 5 years?! And her first visit will be with the Dutch Royals they must be personal friends like the Queen and Nelson Mandela.

See, these are the kinds of photos I'm eager to see! Future queens (provided Japan lets little Aiko succeed!) getting together! Now I'm waiting for some sort of photoshoot with Princesses Elisabeth, Amalia, Ingrid Alexandra and Leonor and Prince Christian, the five future rulers. And maybe throw in Victoria, William, Guillaume and little Joseph Wenzel and you've got a great combination there! :) Can't wait to see the little princesses together!

Emily said:

Not quite Masako and Naruhito made an official trip to Australia and New Zealand in December 2002.

I am really looking forward to this photoshoot and I do hope Aiko will have fun interacting with Amalia and Alexia. It will be so nice seeing them altogether. Very excited about this photoshoot since there will be a lot of photos I bet. We don't really get a lot of photos from the traditional Japanese photoshoot b/c they are usually handed out by the IHA. They don't provide too many to the press.

Crown Prince Naruhito has visited the Netherlands regularly. Princess Masako most likely has done a few (private) visits too. Her father, Justice Hishashi Owada, is one of the Justices of the International Court of Justice in The Hague.

He and mrs. Owada have met Queen Beatrix, the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima a couple of times. The International Court of Justice is in the 'iron list' of invitées at grand occasions organized at the Royal Netherlands Court. The arriving and leaving Justices at the International Court are always invited for an audience at the Palace and they are guests at the annual Banquet for the Corps Diplomatique, which is a -private- but grand affair (with sparkling diademes, gentlemen in tails, etc.)

Last edited:
Henri - or anyone - do you know how long a term is in the International Court of Justice?

Eight years, but he can be re-appointed for another term.

Thank you for that information. I am curious -- you wrote in another place that the Owada's might live in Leyden -- what makes you think that? And do you have any idea how long they have already lived in the Netherlands? Did they move to the Netherlands for this particular job or have they lived there for a while? Also, I am curious if their twin daughters still live in Japan or if they have moved elsewhere, also? Finally, do you know how old Mr. Owada is?

Emily said:
Thank you for that information. I am curious -- you wrote in another place that the Owada's might live in Leyden -- what makes you think that? And do you have any idea how long they have already lived in the Netherlands? Did they move to the Netherlands for this particular job or have they lived there for a while? Also, I am curious if their twin daughters still live in Japan or if they have moved elsewhere, also? Finally, do you know how old Mr. Owada is?

According to the website of the prestigious Leyden University (founded by Willem I of Nassau, Prince of Orange, in 1575):

Professor dr. Hisashi Owada is 70 years old (born in 1936).

He has a law degree from the University of Tokyo and the University of Cambridge.

He has been professor in Law at:
- the University of Tokyo
- Harvard Law School
- New York University Law School
- Columbia Law School
- Waseda University
- Cambridge University

He still is professor in Law at:
- Faculty of International Law at Leyden University

Professor Owada was the Permanent Representative of Japan in the United Nations from 1998 until his appointment as Justice at the International Court of Justice (The Hague) in 2003.

His daughter, Masako Owada, had a brilliant career and was a professional diplomat until her wedding with the Heir to the Chrysanthemum Throne.

Amazing that the Dutch royals will have a photosession together with the Japanese imperial family. I am sure Aiko will have fun with the little Dutch princesses, they are so sweet!!!

Marie_Annemy said:
Amazing that the Dutch royals will have a photosession together with the Japanese imperial family. I am sure Aiko will have fun with the little Dutch princesses, they are so sweet!!!

I think it is smart policy.

Give the media plenty of possibilities to make pictures from the Dutch and Japanese royals. In turn they are asked to respect their privacy.

It works very well: there are annual photo-shoots in Lech am Arlberg (Austria), Tavarnelle val di Pesa (Italy) and somewhere in the Netherlands, in turn for respecting the private lifes of the little Princesses.

It has worked quite well for so long. No 'British situations' in here.

Yes. I'm sure Princess Catharina-Amalia and her sister Princess Alexia will become friends with Princess Aiko.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Henri M -- again many thanks for the information. So I take it the Owada's were in New York during his time with the United Nations. OK - armed with all that good background information, I am looking forward to this photoshoot and the Japanese Royals time in the Netherlands -- I hope it is very relaxing for them.

I agree with you Henri, it seems to work very well for the RF. I did not see any paparazzi pictures of the last holidays, while the spanish royals seem to be photographed on a daily basis (however they don´t seem to mind it that much).

--

I am very much looking forward to the pictures. Will they be taken outside or inside (I am afraid the japanese royals didn´t get much of the good weather, only rain, rain and more rain).

--

When I saw the title of this thread, I was expecting a photoshoot of the van Vollenhovens, it has been to long that they had one!

Last edited:
they look relieved and happy. i am so glad they can come to holland for awhile to 'weather the storm.' i am sure queen beatrix and her family will do everything they can to ensure the japanese crown princely family has a comfortable and pleasant stay.

this photo shoot will be cool because its so different. i am not aware of another one like it.

it does seem like beatrix wants to send a message 'what? you think i shouldnt be monarch because i'm a woman?' more power to her!

Back
Top Bottom