Death of Princess Christina of the Netherlands: August 16, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She was the youngest of the four sisters, how terribile.
May she rest in peace.

May she rest in peace. Condolences to Princess Christina's family and friends.

So sad! May she rest in peace! My heartfelt condolences go out to her family and friends!

The reason of her death was a bone cancer; very painful disease, good that she doesn't suffer anymore...

Condolences to her children and grandchildren.

RIP.

P.S. At first moment when i saw this notice I thought that it refers to Princess of Sweden (who suffered from leukemia).

The remains of Princes Christina will be moved to the Koepel van Fagel at the Noordeinde Palace ,this is a building/chapel I know nothing about.

The remains of Princes Christina will be moved to the Koepel van Fagel at the Noordeinde Palace ,this is a building/chapel I know nothing about.

It is in the Noordeinde Palace grounds is build by Daniel Marot and looks very austere,almost,from the outside,but inside it is splendid,spectacular even.

A few years ago it was also used for the Lying in State of the late Prince Carlos Hugo de Bourbon de Parme by request of the then Queen Beatrix and the entire Family could pay their respects.

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/foto-en-video/koninklijk-huisarchief/de-koepel-van-fagel

It will be the Roman Catholic funeral, I suppose?

I had no idea she was I'll...poor Princess Beatrix...:sad:

May she rest in peace. My Condolences to her family.

Sorry to read that, she had a very hard life.

It will be the Roman Catholic funeral, I suppose?

There was no mention of a Funeral Mass in the announcement so I'm not sure it might be a humanist Service,the Princess will be cremated in private afterwards as per the notice above .

Dear Lee, thank you for the translation link.
I bet she had a sweet singing voice. It seems she lived her adult life the way she wanted. Not everyone is cut out to be a royal I guess.

My condolences to her family.

There was no mention of a Funeral Mass in the announcement so I'm not sure it might be a humanist Service,the Princess will be cremated in private afterwards as per the notice above .

Why, was she a humanist?

My condolences to the Dutch Royal Family.
Rest in peace.

Why do you say she lived a marriage without love?
Did Princess Christina's ex-husband remarry after the divorce?
Why didn't Queen Juliana accept her daughter's marriage?

It was rumored for years. Cristina was even once quoted as saying the Jorge was insufferable and that he only cared about his title. Almost as soon as he married her the problems began. It was said that he would leave her at night and go off. A persistent rumor is that Jorge was gay.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that at all. Too bad you weren't happy in your marriage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Princess Christina's husband was Catholic, but I don't know if she herself was ever received in the Catholic Church.

My condolences to the family.

Thank you for posting this. Are there any other informative profiles of the princess? I would like to learn more about her, and her motives for electing to lead a life of such anonymity (being more private than even the children of Princess Irene).

Sorry to read that, she had a very hard life.

Are you perhaps referencing her divorce, or her health issues?

The Princess passed away "at Noordeinde Palace Compound". It consists of the palace, the building of the Koninklijk Huisarchief, the Royal Mews, the Fagel Pavillon, the maison Noordeinde 66 (the pied-à-terre of Princess Beatrix in The Hague) and some service buildings.

If the Princess did not pass away at the palace, I guess she stayed at her eldest sister's mansion, Noordeinde 66, which is interconnected with the palace, and so offers a private residence with all facility services from the royal household on the same compound.

But there is also a private wing of the palace itself with a secluded garden, not visible from the street. This used to be the private quarters of the royal family at Noordeinde Palace: https://www.hethuisvanoranje.nl/18 ...r Noordeinde/Binnentuin na de restauratie.jpg

Last edited:
Princess Christina's husband was Catholic, but I don't know if she herself was ever received in the Catholic Church.

Her biography in English Wikipedia says she was (in 1992).

My condolences to the family.

The Princess as far as I'm aware converted to Catholicism.

Poor Princess Cristina, may she rest in peace. From my understanding, she did not have an easy life. Born nearly blind, she had a rocky, loveless marriage and suffered a great deal when she was divorced.

Here is a video of her engagement:

Why do you say she lived a marriage without love?
Did Princess Christina's ex-husband remarry after the divorce?
Why didn't Queen Juliana accept her daughter's marriage?

It was rumored for years. Cristina was even once quoted as saying that Jorge was insufferable and that he only cared about his title. Almost as soon as he married her the problems began. It was said that he would leave her at night and go off. A persistent rumor is that Jorge was gay.

Last edited:
I believe he did not treat Christina very well. That the family kept inviting the late duke of Parma to family events but banned Jorge Guillermo completely says enough. He was said to be unkind and with bad manners and with belittling remarks towards his wife, apparently witnissed by members of the royal family.

When Christina met Jorge he lived together with a man, Ned O'Gorman. He had studied Art History and worked at a kindergarten for socially underpriviliged children in Harlem, New York. After the marriage Prince Bernhard supposedly arranged a more respectable job for him at KLM and later at Golden Tullip Hotels. The latter let him leave the company with a small compensation. In the last years of his marriage he mainly focussed on buying art and old wine. He also wrote a few coffee tables books. one of them about Cuba, which experts claimed had little to do with the reality on the island. The art work was all auctioned off after the divorce.

After the divorce he studied History of Art and Theology at Leuven University in Belgium. He befriended a priest with the last name of Dobson. In 2005 it was claimed in the gossip press that they were more than just friends. Later he moved to London -where his daughter Juliana lived with him- and in 2005 to a small castle in Condome, France. From his divorce he did not gain much money as the couple was married with a prenuptial agreement.

--
Didn't princess Christina have an appartment above the royal stables of Noordeinde in The Hague?

Last edited:
It was rumored for years. Cristina was even once quoted as saying that Jorge was insufferable and that he only cared about his title.

And he didn't even get one wonder how that went down!

Back
Top Bottom