Crash: 7 Victims & Perpetrator Dead, 10 Wounded at Queen's Day 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
President Barack Obama has send a letter of condolance to Her Majesty,the President also expresses his sympathy with all the wounded and their families

According to the RVD ( the Government Information Service) HM has also received many letters of support and signs of sympathy from abroad,according to the statement issued this morning.

Over 250 pictures and films have been send to the police after a public request to hand in as much material as possible as investigators try
to reconstruct the what and how that lead up to this tragedy.They are especially keen on material that could/would show the point were the perpetrator first hit into the public with over 100km an hour.

Of the ten wounded left,8 are still in hospital one of them still in a critical condition,2 have been discharged and at home again,but still HM is in close contact regarding all of them and their condition and that of their families as they still cope with the shock.

Last edited:
This has indeed been a tragedy, and I feel great sympathy for those who suffered and those who continue to suffer, and for the families of those who died as they will continue to suffer for the rest of their lives.

But I feel uncomfortable seeing the perpetrator described as evil or a weirdo. He may well have been a cold blooded psychopath, who knew what he was going to do was wrong but didn't care and decided to do it anyway, but it is equally possible that he was a poor man who had problems in his life which he found overwhelming and who sought help but was inappropriately and/or incompetenly assessed by medical attendants.

I don't know, and as far as I can tell no-one else does yet either, and I just think judgment about him should await the result of investigations.

So many people have really big problems in threir lifes, and not for that they kill inocent people.
The perpetrator was just a murderer, which blame do they have?

Last edited:
This has indeed been a tragedy, and I feel great sympathy for those who suffered and those who continue to suffer, and for the families of those who died as they will continue to suffer for the rest of their lives.

But I feel uncomfortable seeing the perpetrator described as evil or a weirdo. He may well have been a cold blooded psychopath, who knew what he was going to do was wrong but didn't care and decided to do it anyway, but it is equally possible that he was a poor man who had problems in his life which he found overwhelming and who sought help but was inappropriately and/or incompetenly assessed by medical attendants.

I don't know, and as far as I can tell no-one else does yet either, and I just think judgment about him should await the result of investigations.

Or maybe his mommy declined him a cooky in his early years...Get Real!!.He was a member of society that was not known with any medical record pointing at a trauma or anything related.He was fired,had to cope with what thousands had to cope and thought this would draw attention to his frustration.He is no longer a suspect,the cowardice creep is dead,DEAD,as are 6 of his victims.
He wasn't sick in the head,he was a kamikaze twit who threw an entire nation into shock,horror and disbelief,but moreover it was a ruthless assassination attempt on the Monarch and her entire family and anyone in between that,and nothing more,or less,then that.Period.

It was a revenge for his being fired by a security company this year,after he lost a job as a drive last year.
He wanted to prove that security in Apeldoorn wasn't good enough.Well...

Last edited:
HM The Queen has decided to keep on celebrating Queensday as we are used to over nearly 3 decades.

Hail to The Queen!!

Our resilience plays up again,like it should be,we won't have anyone nor anything dictate our lives in fear.Contrary.
We won't have it and will continue business as usual,but a tad more carefull,ie,more security but invisible,just more of it.

HM already had decided to also attend the remembrance day ceremonies as well as the Liberation Day concert this
monday and tuesday as usual.
God Bless Her.

Last edited:
Or maybe his mommy denied him a cooky in his early years . . . . .
I know your anger comes from pain, shock, anger and the "what if" factor. What if one of the dead or injured was someone I knew, someone I love? On top of that is the rage that comes from the knowledge that someone tried to assassinate the Royal Family, your Royal Family and there can be no excuse that could ever justify such an act.

Please be patient with those who have a driving need to try to find a rational explanation for that which is irrational. An explanation for the inexplicable. A reason for that which is unreasonable. It is a Gen Y tendency to believe that something or someone else must be to "blame" for anything that goes wrong.

This guy lost his job and committed an act of sheer evil apparentely out of spite, malice, vindictiveness. All words that are no longer politically correct but are, nonetheless, accurate.

And so I ask that you remain patient with those that seek an explanation for what happened and believe that they understand that an explanation is not, and never will be, an excuse.

As to Queen Beatrix deciding to carry on regardless? Why am I not surprised: She is one very courageous lady who knows her people need her now more than ever.

Last edited:
I do too (feel uncomfortable) Not because I am a liberal but probably because of what I pray when I pray the Lord's Prayer (as we forgive them that trespass against us)

Let us please refrain from bringing religious considerations into the thread.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and by the very nature of this thread and this atrocious act, there will be many differing opinions. Please be sensitive to those that have a different opinion than yours.

We might very well have members on this board who knew/know one of the victims, and their anger is righteous and understandable.

So many people have really big problems in threir lifes, and not for that they kill inocent people.
Excatly. No investigation or anything else for that matter will bring closure for the ones that are left behind in this situation because the act is unthinkable. No matter how you look at it, the fact remains that his action was pure evil.

I know your anger comes from pain, shock, anger and the "what if" factor. What if one of the dead or injured was someone I knew, someone I love? On top of that is the rage that comes from the knowledge that someone tried to assassinate the Royal Family, your Royal Family and there can be no excuse that could ever justify such an act.

Please be patient with those who have a driving need to try to find a rational explanation for that which is irrational. An explanation for the inexplicable. A reason for that which is unreasonable. It is a Gen Y tendency to believe that something or someone else must be to "blame" for anything that goes wrong.

This guy lost his job and committed an act of sheer evil apparentely out of spite, malice, vindictiveness. All words that are no longer politically correct but are, nonetheless, accurate.

And so I ask that you remain patient with those that seek an explanation for what happened and believe that they understand that an explanation is not, and never will be, an excuse.

As to Queen Beatrix deciding to carry on regardless? Why am I not surprised: She is one very courageous lady who knows her people need her now more than ever.

HM has the resilience that is a second nature to the Dutch.

Elsevier magazine writes today that according to a former friend he wanted to take revenge at the security company that fired him recently,but as far as he had known Tates he would have never aimed at assasinating The Queen.

I wonder did Tates tell him what about his plan?In that case,would that make that so called friend an accomplice I wonder?
He apparently also told others he wanted to write history.Well...

Last edited:
I've read at another site that Prince W-A and Princess Maxima have been to the hospital to visit the recovering victims.

I've read at another site that Prince W-A and Princess Maxima have been to the hospital to visit the recovering victims.

Yes,as did HM,Princess Margriet and Pieter van Vollenhoven.
They have visited 6 of the wounded this morning and this afternoon.Number 8 is still in critical
condition on a intensive care unit and can not be visited yet just as one other of the wounded.
The RF had especially invited family and loved ones to come to the hospitals.

HM visited wounded in the Isala Clinic in Zwolle,and talked to their families,Alexander and Máxima
visited wounded in the hospitals of the city of Tilburg,Utrecht and Amersfoort and talked with their
loved ones.Princess Margiet and Pieter van Vollenhoven visited the wounded at the Rijnstate hospital in Arnhem.

Het Koninklijk Huis

Last edited:
yes, i found it surprising that no royals approached the hospitals where the victims were. i'm sure it must be a great comfort for them and i'm glad they attended. they are such a lovely family..

HM The Queen has decided to keep on celebrating Queensday as we are used to over nearly 3 decades.

Hail to The Queen!!

Our resilience plays up again,like it should be,we won't have anyone nor anything dictate our lives in fear.Contrary.
We won't have it and will continue business as usual,but a tad more carefull,ie,more security but invisible,just more of it.

HM already had decided to also attend the remembrance day ceremonies as well as the Liberation Day concert this
God Bless Her.

Queen Beatrix is a strong, intelligent, and honorable woman. This is wonderful news! She is sending a message that she will not be swayed by cowardly acts. Life must go on, and we must continue to celebrate the good, not hide in our homes out of fear. When we do that, those who wish to perpetrate violence and destruction have won. I am so happy to hear this news. May God continue to bless the royal family, and the people of the Netherlands.

It is more like a gathering this evening,nothing official as that will probably take place next week.
Several members of the Royal Family have expressed their wish to attend then.

The Grote Kerk in Apeldoorn was packed last night as over 1000 gathered for the memorial.

The official memorial will be on friday may 8th,HM and several other members of the RF have expressed their wish to attend.

HM leaving hospitl this afternoon:
http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/article1192241.ece/Koninklijke_familie_bezoekt_gewonden

Last edited:
This is so shocking news. I just heard this morning about this terrible attack on what was supposed to be a day of joy and celebration. Just why should someone try to attack the Queen Beatrix and her family? It really makes no sense at all. This is such a charming royal family, that it is not possible for me to think that there are people who hate them. Of course they do have critizers but no one can despise this family so much that they want to see them dead.
I have always enjoyed seeing the photos of the Queens Day every year because I had found it so amusing and touching to see this family so close with the people - celebrating such a beautiful national day! It was simply so great.

I can't forget to see the shock and terror in the eyes of Princess Maxima. This must be a traumatising experience....

The perpetrator was just a murderer, which blame do they have?

Big true what you say Paty. I watched the news and the royal family looked extremely shocked for this, it is vey sad.:nonono:

My simpathy to the families that are suffering now.

President Barack Obama has send a letter of condolance to Her Majesty,the President also expresses his sympathy with all the wounded and their families

According to the RVD ( the Government Information Service) HM has also received many letters of support and signs of sympathy from abroad,according to the statement issued this morning.

Over 250 pictures and films have been send to the police after a public request to hand in as much material as possible as investigators try
to reconstruct the what and how that lead up to this tragedy.They are especially keen on material that could/would show the point were the perpetrator first hit into the public with over 100km an hour.

Of the ten wounded left,8 are still in hospital one of them still in a critical condition,2 have been discharged and at home again,but still HM is in close contact regarding all of them and their condition and that of their families as they still cope with the shock.
That's very nice of President Obama and nice of the public as well. Thank you for the continuous updates Lucien.

Hail to The Queen!!

God Bless Her.

Should we really be surprised? We would have expected nothing less from this great and gracious lady, after all, she is her mother's daughter and her grandmother's grandaughter. Long live the Queen of the Netherlands, she's "simply the best."

^Gosh I love Queen Beatrix, how thoughtful of her to go visit the victims in the hospital.

Should we really be surprised? We would have expected nothing less from this great and gracious lady, after all, she is her mother's daughter and her grandmother's grandaughter. Long live the Queen of the Netherlands, she's "simply the best."

Course not, I'm so thrilled to hear that the festivities will continue as they always have.

May I say that one of the things I have liked best about the Dutch Royal Family is their desire to interact with people, but I have wondered whether that is really possible in today's world. Another forum I read mentioned that, had the worst happened, as many as a dozen young royal children could be orphans, and Princess Catherine-Amalia could be queen, a role which I'm sure none of us would want her to assume at too young an age.

Is it perhaps time to re-evaluate this royal family's security arrangements? I know at one time the Prince of Wales and at least one of his sons travelled separately, and in the U.S. you would never find the President and Vice-President travelling together (and only rarely being in the same place together).

I know that thinking of these things takes some of the joy out of these occasions, and I'm very sorry for it.

I am very, very shocked and saddened by this occurrence.

My heart and prayers go out to the victims' families, as well as to and for the victims themselves.

I am grateful to know that none of the Dutch royals were injured, and I am sorry that they had to be witness to this, and victims themselves, in that their lives were threatened in the first place.

I very much admire Queen Beatrix for her strength and compassion in these dark times.

I can see why she and her family are much loved and admired by the Dutch people.

I am so sorry this happened.

I wish to make it clear that I do not seek to excuse what Tates did, merely understand it, and without having all the facts it is not possible to understand. Judgments should never be made until all the facts are known.

Absence of a long history of mental illness does not necessarily mean the man was rational when he did what he did. Sometimes people are overwhelmed by stresses that more stalwart types can weather, and this man had been under a lot of the types of stress that not uncommonly make people snap and seek revenge against those they irrationally blame for their misfortunes.

That does not excuse what the man did, or mean he should not have been found guilty of his crimes had he lived. But it doesn't make him evil.

As for the Dutch Royal Family's security, I agree with Iowabelle about a re-assessment of the arrangements. Disturbed people can be single minded and the next bitter, twisted individual who sets his sights on them might have a semi automatic rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which princesses were close to the accident? And like how close were they? I hope all the wounded are ok now.

The bus carrying the royals was just passing;one princess covered her mouth is shock and disbelief,she just couldn't believe what she saw. This was a terrible thing to have had happened.
The driver died in the crash so there will no trial.I wonder if we'll ever find out why he did this?

The people who knew the driver could best provide insight.
What a sad turn of events.

This is a horrible and shocking event. Frighteningly, nowadays I think there are a lot of people who are just angry at the world and take it out on everybody. Unfortunately I think it will make future royal events less open which is a shame but what can they do?

No words for that what has happened and possibly could happen.
He must be in very bad condition to do something like that - drive and kill these people. Very tragic.
I pray for all victims and hurt of/in this accident.

I still can't believe that this really happend.:ohmy: Every time that I hear it on the news or read it in the newspaper it seems so unreal.
I think that it's really bad that Karst died, because not only is it so that we never know why but he should have seen the result of his action.

Back
Top Bottom