Crash: 7 Victims & Perpetrator Dead, 10 Wounded at Queen's Day 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I certainly wasn't trying to minimalize the situation, only to say that the security was well enough in place to know to put them at a higher location and in a sturdier vehicle than a regular car.

I certainly wasn't trying to minimalize the situation, only to say that the security was well enough in place to know to put them at a higher location and in a sturdier vehicle than a regular car.
It was soon evident that there were uniformed and undercover/plain clothes officers in attendance. (One wearing an orange wig to blend in with the crowd.) Also, many in the crowd were attempting to give first aid to the victims.

What do we know about the family of the man who perpetrated this horror? Did they know he was going to do something? Does he have children? I am just curious. I'm not trying to minimize the pain that the families of the victims are feeling, or trying to take anything away from the innocent victims.

If his family had no idea or no role in this, then I feel sorry for them as well. Could you imagine the guilt and pain you would feel if your loved one committed such a horrible act? My heart breaks for all of the families of the victims in this situation. Their lives will never be the same.

I haven't posted here in months but I just wanted to take a few minutes to express my shock and horror at what I have just learned and to support my friends here and express solidarity for them and for the people of the Netherlands, as well as the Royal Family.

I was getting dressed this morning and saw the news on American TV. It was the first I had heard of it, just this morning. I am still speechless.

I am thankful to God that the Crown Prince and Princess were not injured but my heart is broken for the families of the dead and injured.

All of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Around what time is the memorial service supposed to begin? It was all over our local news stations here in Vancouver last night. I'm so thankful none of the royals were hurt but so sad so many have died as well as been injured.

The more I see, the more I´m convinced there are some really EVIL people in this world.I think it´s far too simple to say he is a lunatic or a crazy person. This was planned beforehand, was executed coldly with the intent to hurt the royal family, but as he couldn´t he killed other innocents and injured some as well. I´m sorry there is no death penalty in Holland.
I don't think it's too simple. There are people who go crazy, a combination of their psyche and things happening in their lives. The investigation may shed more light on that. Oh, and tragic as this all has been I am not sorry we don't have the deathpenalty here in Holland.

This was a very hypothetical discussion, but I am suprised people assume HH Berhard jr. would have become regent. As far as I know no law states it should be the next in line - or even a royal(!!) - in case of an underage queen/king.

Is it certain a pregnant woman was killed? I have not heard that from any of the authotities; somehow I think they would have then said "A woman and her unborn child died".

Around what time is the memorial service supposed to begin? It was all over our local news stations here in Vancouver last night. I'm so thankful none of the royals were hurt but so sad so many have died as well as been injured.

It is more like a gathering this evening,nothing official as that will probably take place next week.
Several members of the Royal Family have expressed their wish to attend then.

Side note:

Their Highnesses Prince Maurits and Princess Marilene will be in Vancouver on may 9th where the Princess
will open an exhibition on Dutch Masters.You will have to look it up under the Royal agenda.

I don't think it's too simple. There are people who go crazy, a combination of their psyche and things happening in their lives. The investigation may shed more light on that. Oh, and tragic as this all has been I am not sorry we don't have the deathpenalty here in Holland.

This was a very hypothetical discussion, but I am suprised people assume HH Berhard jr. would have become regent. As far as I know no law states it should be the next in line - or even a royal(!!) - in case of an underage queen/king.

Is it certain a pregnant woman was killed? I have not heard that from any of the authotities; somehow I think they would have then said "A woman and her unborn child died".

Unfortunately it is true about the lady with child.I have confirmed this tragedy before.I wouldn't post it if it wasn't true.remember that.
It is not a joke.
She died yesterday as one of the first.

Last edited:
people are crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is more like a gathering this evening,nothing official as that will probably take place next week.
Several members of the Royal Family have expressed their wish to attend then.

Side note:

Their Highnesses Prince Maurits and Princess Marilene will be in Vancouver on may 9th where the Princess
will open an exhibition on Dutch Masters.You will have to look it up under the Royal agenda.
Oh then I'm guessing the gathering has taken place by now. Oh very intresting I had no idea I will definitely have to keep an eye out for any media coverage they receive when they visit.:flowers:

I was really shocked when I heard the news. Once again a weirdo is killing innocents to feel better.

All my sympathy goes to Dutch people in this terrible moment.

All was done at Het Oude Loo castle,adjacent to the Palace.It is an old medieval castle,a bit dark inside here and there.HM was in no mood,except shock and disbelief,and had no meaning of dishing it out better then it was.It was dark and gloomy.As was the day.Eerie.

You're right, it certainly did capture that mood. It also had a very "authentic" quality about it, in the sense that it did not seem like a staged photo op.

Does the Queen often make statements in such a relatively casual, spontaneous way? (I don't mean any of those words as a criticism -- I'm just trying to capture the tone of her appearance.)

I'm more accustomed to seeing leaders making statements like this in very staged settings where they are more composed. (For example, in the U.S., the president might make such a statement from his desk or standing in the White House Rose Garden.) Queen Beatrix's statement was so different from this I found it very striking.

Again, I want to be clear that I'm not criticizing the Queen or suggesting that she should have done anything different, just expressing surprise at the way she did it. I can tell from the reactions to the Dutch posters on this board that they were very moved by her appearance, so she obviously knew her audience very well.

I highly doubt that there was any planning done regarding the statement made by the queen, apart from the absolutely neccessary of how to get a camera there as quickly as possible. The Queen is a bit like everyones second mother in the Netherlands, and as such she most likely just wanted to address her "children", her people, those that love her dearly and let them know that she was there with them and living and experiencing this tragedy with them as part of their extended family.

I found out only today the little princesses weren't on the bus, but in the Palace. That makes me feel a little bit better! :)

Seven deaths so far, including the perpetrator. Now we'll never know why he did it. I think it was a kamikaze action, and that he did not expect to make it alive anyway. This was an attack at the genuine Dutch culture. And at our innocense. The innocense of what has always been supposed to be a day of joy... still can't believe this.

Is there any news of the wounded people? How is their evolution?

Apparently there is still one in critical condition, but the rest are recovering well, physically at least.

That's always good to hear. I hope the one in critical condition pulls through.

Whatever was the reason of that barbar act, I am sorry to hear that, all what I can say, is that i wish the people who are wounded, will recover soon, and I present my sympathy to all dutch people.

I am just curious as to whether the six victims includes the unborn child whose mother was killed. If not to me it would be 7 victims and perpetrator dead. However I agree with all other posters that the car driver should not be included in the same categorie as the victims.

With regards to the impromptu address by Queen Beatrix I feel it was just what it needed to be. She reassured her people of her own grief and sadness and provided an image of stability, strength and hope. I don't even speak dutch and she left me feeling reassured that the people will grieve and recover but never forget.

My thoughts and prayers continue to go to all affected by this terrible day. I'm sure Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima as well as all the other members of the royal family have never been so relieved to see and hold their children again.

My sympathies to the victims, and to Her Majesty, the Royal family, and all of the lovely Dutch people.

I know there was a small gathering earlier tonight and some of the royals were interested in attending. Does anyone know if they went, I suppose that information probably wouldn't be released would it? I'm sorry if these questions sound intrusive but I'm very curious since we don't get alot of info about the foreign royals over here.

Knowing that your life, and the lives of your family would wish to be taken because of who you are, must be quite the confronting reality.

I know there was a small gathering earlier tonight and some of the royals were interested in attending. Does anyone know if they went, I suppose that information probably wouldn't be released would it? I'm sorry if these questions sound intrusive but I'm very curious since we don't get alot of info about the foreign royals over here.

Yes there was this gathering,but it was nothing official.

The official gathering will be on friday may 8th at Orpheus Theater,Apeldoorn.
Besides HM several other members of the RF have expressed their wish to attend.

Meanwhile The Queen constantly gets updates on the condition of those still in hospital

Thank you for the updates Lucien.

Yes there was this gathering,but it was nothing official.

The official gathering will be on friday may 8th at Orpheus Theater,Apeldoorn.
Besides HM several other members of the RF have expressed their wish to attend.

Meanwhile The Queen constantly gets updates on the condition of those still in hospital
Oh I understand now Lucien the official gathering on May 8th is when the royal family will be attending , that makes more sense now I thought they were attending the unofficial one which was today, thank you for clearing that up! :flowers: Wonderful of the Queen to be so concerned for her people , she's such a lovely lady.

OMG, there are already 6 victims! I think they will tighten security for royal family after these events. Condolences to families of victims.

I know there's no way that car could have done any serious damamge to the bus, especially with the condition it was in once it made it onto the parade route. It's sad that people feel that life isn't worth living when they get a little down on their luck, and decide to kill themselves, and others too. We hear about people in our country who kill their spouse and kids before killing themselves, and it's usually related to some financial problems. I watched some of the videos on our news websites. I thought how sweet it was to see W-A put his arm around Maxima's shoulders. But the look of horror on her face brings tears to my eyes.

I wonder what the reaction is from neighboring royal families.

I am not one of those posters, the NRC, a high quality Dutch newspaper, writes 7 deaths (the unborn child is not included).

I am just curious as to whether the six victims includes the unborn child whose mother was killed. If not to me it would be 7 victims and perpetrator dead. However I agree with all other posters that the car driver should not be included in the same categorie as the victims.

With regards to the impromptu address by Queen Beatrix I feel it was just what it needed to be. She reassured her people of her own grief and sadness and provided an image of stability, strength and hope. I don't even speak dutch and she left me feeling reassured that the people will grieve and recover but never forget.

My thoughts and prayers continue to go to all affected by this terrible day. I'm sure Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima as well as all the other members of the royal family have never been so relieved to see and hold their children again.

if all Royals had God Forbid passed who would Monarch Princess Catherina Amalia.....GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

Back
Top Bottom