Crash: 7 Victims & Perpetrator Dead, 10 Wounded at Queen's Day 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's all possible. We just have to wait for the police to make their statement.

How is Amsterdam?
In Eindhoven people are still celebrating but I think the most of them still don't know what happened.

I am not in Amsterdam right now, but with my parents in Katwijk. But AT5 news seem to imply that the festivities will go on, though the official part will be cancelled. Festivities in Maastricht, Groningen, Eindhoven and Breda will also continue.

Last edited:
I am not in Amsterdam right now, but with my parents in Katwijk. But AT5 news seem to imply that the festivities will go on, though the official part will be cancelled. Festivities in Maastricht and Breda will also continue.

With the amount of people here in Amsterdam,close to 1 million celebrating,it is almost impossible to cancel all parties without severely disrupting public order I'm afraid.Most have still not heard of events apparently,but if one did,if I would in that case,I would go home myself.Isn´t that just the only proper thing to do?

Last edited:
True, and most of them are drunk anyway. Still, it is possible to finish things slowly, one party after another and earlier than they wanted. Some artists ('de toppers') have cancelled their performance on Museum square today, good! Radio 538 will stop their concert earlier (probably due to the cancellation of the toppers).

-
A safety expert is talking on the NOS, saying it is impossible to prevent madman attacks like these. You don't expect somebody to drive through two traffic blocks, over the audience and into the bus. 100% safety doesn't exist, the police seemed very well prepared when the incident happened.

--
The NOS is already reporting from Hotel de Keizerskroon where the press conference will start in a few minutes, lots of press. They are waiting for mayor Fred de Graaf, the police chef and the public prosecutor, mr Goossens.

Last edited:
I just saw a news snippet on BBC News and the shock I saw on the faces of Pr W-A, Maxima and I think it was Pr Annette said it all.

A car has crashed into a crowd watching a parade involving Dutch Queen Beatrix and her family, reportedly killing at least two people.

{Link to graphic video removed by Moderator.}

How terrible for you all! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Press conference started.

The mayor expresses his support, also on behalf of the queen and the RF

17 victims, 4 dead, 5 still heavily wounded.

-
The flags need to be on half mast for the rest of the day, nationwide.

--
Mrs. Roelofs, the police commisioner talks about the incident. The driver is arrested and taken to the hospital. 700 policemen were active today, after 4 months of preparations. One policeman is lightly wounded, 1 officer of the royal marrechaussee is seriously injured. She denies that shots were fired.

-
Mr Goossens says it was a consious action, 1 suspect has been arrested, a Dutch man of 38 without a criminal record or a psychological record. He tried to get through another traffic block. No indications for a terrorist attack. The drivers house is being searched. No reason to think that explosives were used. It was tried to stop the car, after the driver drove through the traffic blocks. The driver is in the operation room right now, he is one of the 5 that is seriously wounded.

--
the prime minister arrived in Apeldoorn.

----
They are denying various rumours. All members of the RF were very shocked and flabbergasted. They obviously saw the crash and victims on the street.

Last edited:
17 injured, 4 dead, few critical.
Out of the pressconference.

<Link to Graphic Imagery removed by Moderator>

A speeding car careered into spectators moments after the Dutch Queen Beatrix had passed in an open-topped bus, leaving up to four people dead and 14 others injured.
The small black car appeared to be heading at high speed toward the royal bus and passed within a few yards of it before plowing into a stone monument in the town of Apeldoorn.

This is truly terrible; my prayers are with all.

It is being confirmed in the press conference that a 38 year old man did it on purpose !

Incredible that one total nutter can cause so much hurt!

<Link to Graphic Imagery removed by Moderator>

A speeding car careered into spectators moments after the Dutch Queen Beatrix had passed in an open-topped bus, leaving up to four people dead and 14 others injured.
The small black car appeared to be heading at high speed toward the royal bus and passed within a few yards of it before plowing into a stone monument in the town of Apeldoorn.

It was requested NOT to post anything this grapfic.That goes for you too.

Pls delete this immediatly,thank you.

The Queen makes a statement on tv, she seems very shocked and emotional. She expresses her sympathy for the victims.

--
It is probably the blackest day of her reign.

Last edited:
Please note that many links, esp. in the foreign press show graphic images. I suppose each newspaper has their own ethical rules about this, but we at TRF want to prevent these images in direct links at our forum.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I've never seen the Queen look so emotional.
She looked like she could burst into tears any moment.

Absolutely horrible.
I was shocked to dead when RTL showed the live pictures of the accident.
absolutely horrible. It's all I can say. I'm shocked.

Last edited:
I've never seen the Queen look so emotional.
She looked like she could burst into tears any moment.

The sigh with which the queen starts her speech, is so telling. I really feel for her too. This was supposed to be her day and of her mother. Who could have thought it would end up in such tragedy.

It is sad that 2009 Queen's Day was marred by ill intentions of a disturbed person. Although police and other security personnel try to provide for every contingency, it is difficult to predict such tragedy.

It's really a sad day, this would have been a jubilee and now..:(

Seeing the Queen's reaction reduced me to tears. I never saw her that sad.

Neither did I,the sigh with which HM started Her message struck me to the bone.
Poor woman. God Bless Her.

truly shocking! having once experienced the atmosphere on queens day myself it's impossible to imagine how somebody is able to do such a thing. one of these events that nobody will ever understand because it's so absurd. i feel for those who are left dead / injured and their families.

Back
Top Bottom