Birthday Celebrations of Queen Beatrix and Princess Margriet: February 1, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing I say about the new Portraits is: They are GORGEOUS! :flowers:

I love them! The Gala-Portrait is a true winner!
Something very special and unusual. What a great contrast of light and shadows, blue and gold. Impressive.
The gold-blue stage looks great. Bea's dress definitely does NOT belong to my faves.. but it perfectly matches the golden stairs.

I also love the two formal non-Gala-portraits.
I never noticed that Beatrix has really deep blue eyes.

Really great photos!

The Volkskrant has this special page, dress up Queen Beatrix any way you like: click here

They also have a :

- photospecial
- quiz (in Dutch only)
- article on the birthday (in Dutch only)
- article on HM as sister, mother, etc. (in Dutch only)

--

NRC Handelsblad has a photospecial and an article on the new portraits by Anton Corbijn, here.

Telegraaf has this article in Dutch and the Algemeen Dagblad has this one. And also on the AD site this and this article (again, in Dutch only). The Refgormatorisch Dagblad has opened a special site for this birthday, here (not available on sundays).

Last edited:
From Dutchnews.nl:

Queen's birthday dominates front pages

Thursday 31 January 2008
Queen Beatrix's 70th birthday gets widespread coverage in all the media today.
Free newspaper De Pers says that the moaning about the cost of the royal family should stop, quoting economist Harry van Dalen who has worked out that the monarchy generates between €4bn and €5bn a year.
The €114m the public pay for the royals is peanuts in comparison, it says

Read the entire article here.

People are bringing gifts to the Palace, dispite the horrid weather:

ANP picture 1
ANP picture 2
ANP picture 3

In Rotterdam an exhibition was opened in the 'Kunsthal' with the nicest pictures of Queen Beatrix:

Several pictures on the wall
Young Beatrix and a dog
Beatrix at the Bijlmer
In a plane

--

Beatrix and collegues

---

The Prime minister congratulating the Queen on television, yesterday. Click here for a picture. Did anybody see him during his congratulations? He announced them almost with a simular tone as he announced the deaths of Queen Juliana and Princes Bernhard and Claus. Sigh...

--------
For those who want to congratulate the Queen, go to this link on the website of the RF and write your message there. After you are done, click on 'bevestigen' (below).

:dutchstandard: ..... :dutchstandard: ..... :dutchstandard: ..... :dutchstandard: ..... :dutchstandard: ..... :dutchstandard: ..... :dutchstandard: ..... :dutchstandard: ..... :dutchstandard: ..... :dutchstandard:

Last edited:
On occasion of Her Majesty's 70th birthday the Royal House website has opened a special page dedicated to the occasion.It also contains a register to congratulate our dearest Trix if you like.
Het Koninklijk Huis

Courtesy RVD.
:flowers:

It's here already,quit a response there.I love all the attention she gets,it is enornous and so well deserved."De Pers" is my newspaper from now on,that article has been my adagio for years......

Last edited:
Around 3000 reponses thus far I see, I wonder if she reads them all ;)

:dutchstandard:

Around 3000 reponses thus far I see, I wonder if she reads them all ;)

3000 Is a lot already.They will be presented to her on DVD,suppose the most remarkeble ones will be pointed out to her,or otherwise she reads them while baby-sitting,something like that.

Last nights program on her was watched by 2.2 million viewers,the highest score for all programs last night.

:cheers::curtsey:

The red loper is cleaned for Carre, before the birthday of Queen Beatrix. Queen Beatrix and princess Margriet celebrate together their respective 70th and 65th birthday with a festive matinee for thousand bid in Royal Theater Carre in Amsterdam. ANP PHOTO ROYAL IMAGES ROBIN UTRECHT.

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Last edited:
Happy birthday to Queen Juliana and her sister Margriet. Many happy returns.

My judgement ;)

Queen Trix: She looked great. Cream-colors always suit her alot!
Margriet: haha, she wore the same jacket Mathilde wore for the New Year's reception. :lol: Another Natan-Fan! This starts to scare me! Anyway, she looked great, too!
Maxima: I hate that golden suit. She looked like she wanted to celebrate carnival. But: I love her hair and jewels! This golden hairpin looked great!
Laurentien: She looked better then she usually does during such events! A rather decent outfit. she looked fine.
Mabel: no comment. :eek:
Aimee: Winner! She looked super-elegant!
Annette looked radiant! Marilene recycled this ugly stockings. urghh.

Loving the Queen's fabulous outfit. That collar is VERY flattering and the fur on the cuffs I adore. Well done Ma'am.

I love Mabel dress!

My high points:

Margriet - always looks lovely, and the jacket was beautiful. Skirt very pretty but a little poofy

Laurentien - great dress! I never thought I would say this but, this is my favorite outfit of the event

Annette - very pretty outfit, and a lovely smile

Aimee - v elegant, but I think she needed a black jacket/shawl something to tie in the black stockings and necklace.

Low points:
Maxima - I hate this suit - so shiny, unflattering color, and makes her look blocky on top. Lovely smile (as always), and good hair, makeup

Mabel - pretty fun skirt, but not very special event-ish, esp in cotton and paired with a cotton shirt. Her hair looked really nice

Marilene - her stockings. Nice outfit otherwise, but those stockings ruined it for me.

Beatrix - nice outfit but ruined with that big beige shawl.

Aimee - v elegant, but I think she needed a black jacket/shawl something to tie in the black stockings and necklace.

She has a black shawl with her.

Annette - very pretty outfit, and a lovely smile
If I am not mistaken this black dress originally belongs to Princess Aimee. :rolleyes:
She wore it when she attended Emma van Vollenhoven's Christening. She was highly pregnant back then.

If I am not mistaken this black dress originally belongs to Princess Aimee. :rolleyes:
She wore it when she attended Emma van Vollenhoven's Christening. She was highly pregnant back then.

You are correct Sarah :flowers:

happy birthday to her majesty and princess magriet! may they have two lovely birthdays.

yes, indeed... those official portraits are great! extremely unusual as well in my opinion. who took the pictures?

PPE agency has a full gallery of pictures of the festivities: follow this link PPE Agency
my veredict: i always love to see the dutch royals. the princesses are just delightful yet so sophisticated and elegant. they make such a nice mix between all of them that it is a pleasure to see them all together in this sort of gatherings. my favourites: magriet, laurentien and mabel. laurentien looks adorable for a lady of her age, she is just wonderful. laurentien... gorgeous dress and fits her like a glove! and mabel... what can i say? doesn't her gorgeous skirt just eclipse anything else? REALLY beautiful. i'm not sure about maxima. her suit is obviously fitting and perfectly cut and well-done and the cut is so elegant but... gold? not her best colour imo. aimee, who always dazzles me, didn't really show all her charme this time, although she looks beautiful anyway. i also loved marilene's blouse + jacket combo.

High points:
Laurentien, Maxima (the pants seem a bit too tight, but the colour is very trendy and the jacket suits her perfectly), Aimee

Low points:
Marilene (she needs to seriously stop wearing those awful Pauw outfits, it makes her look old and skinny)

I spent several minutes trying to come up with nice things to say about the outfits... Well...I don't have much to say... :unsure:

IMHO, the worst outfit was Maxima's: too shiny and too tight. :ohmy: She still looked beautiful but it wasn't because of her wardrobe choice.

The overall best looking lady was Aimee: simple and elegant (proving that sometimes less is more). :flowers:

One last thing, I liked very much Friso's choice - it seems he tried to match his suit with his wife's outfit so he picked a golden/yellow (brownish?) tie. :wub: Maybe it's just me.. :rolleyes:

Fashion aside, they all looked very happy and enjoying themselves! :)

Maxima looked absolutely striking tonight. 'Just a beautiful outfit for a wonderful family occasion. Even Laurentien looked good ... she usually looks eccentric. Mabel, on the other hand, ... oh well, whaddya goin' do?!:ohmy:

Who is the guy next to Margarita Bourbon-Parma?

Who is the guy next to Margarita Bourbon-Parma?

Maybe her current partner, Tjalling ten Cate. The princess looks elegant IMO and apparently her wardrobe doesn't suffer from her financial situation ;).

About the birthday: NOVA yesterday broadcasted a party at the Museum of the Tropics in Amsterdam, for militairy people and other guests. I was surprised to see that Amsterdam actually has a gouvernor (I wonder what he does), but he made a nice toast to HM. And a lady read the message the militairy staff sent to HM and the reply of HM the Queen to that message. Thomas Lepeltak (former society journalist) attended the party too, he looked somewhat drunk IMO. Anyway, he was later interviewed by Clairy Polak in the NOVA studio. He made a big issue about the fact that none of the princes married a noble woman (Clairy looked utterly surprised - too left leaning to imagine that people might actually still feel this way maybe?) and he claimed there was a sort of cold war between the Queen/RF and the Dutch nobility going on since the princes became of mariagable age. Apparently the court always refused any invitation by the nobles for the princes to attend balls, parties and such. Lepeltak also claimed he spoke to the late Bischopf van Heemskerk (head of the stable department?) and that BvH told him that Maxima has 3 times the intelligence of the crownprince. And he was afraid 'that she would get it in her head that she would actually reign' , and he put his hand in front of his eyes.

About the party: tomorrow it will be broadcasted on the NOS. I have seen some short clips in news editions, and it seemed a nice atmosphere. Many well known dutch people attended like Mies Bouwman, Adriaan van Dis, Erika Terpstra and Paul van Vliet.

--

Clotheswize I liked the outfit of Mabel (I am in a minority here probably), Laurentien keeps looking better and better too. The two borthday girls looked good as did Princess Irene. Maxima's golden outfit was rather horrid and Marilene's eternal Maison Pauw clothes......sigh!
A pity the children of princess Christina didn't attend btw.

Last edited:
The caption from Anp said this, I cant understan Duch:neutral:

Prinses Margarita komt samen met haar nieuwe vriend Tjalling ten Cate bij Koninklijk Theater Carre

Back
Top Bottom