State Visit from Belgium to The Netherlands: November 28-30, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are entitled to your assessment, but i have to say i agree with the experts in this matter: P.Elisabeth is 2 years older and 2 years ago she wrote and performed her first speech on her own at a WWI remembrance gathering. P.Amalia up until now has been very much "one of the 3A princesses" in public, though it ofcourse it is possible that will change from now on..

We have seen Amalia during the Abdication, the balcony scene, the Investiture and the King's Water Pageant. We have seen her at the King's Days since. We have seen her at the annual winter- and summer photoshoots, at various weddings and baptisms, she has visited the Pope already and recently she answered questions during a street interview. The only difference is that the two years older Elisabeth has spoken three sentences during a WWI remembrance. In my optic the difference is minimal. Given the fact that King's Day (and in a few years also Princes' Day) are annual live broadcasts lasting hours, I am sure Amalia has had more airtime despite the efforts of her parents to keep her away in an attempt to grant her a "normal life".

Anyway,m'n goeie goed is hanging outside catching fresh air.

Last edited:
There is a big article (a page spread) in today's Algemeen Dagblad about the State Visit. Well better said: one sentence about the State Visit and the rest about Laurent, Albert, Delphine and Belgian comedians mocking their own royal family... One would say that Belgians would keep up their royal family towards foreign media, but no... Especially Geert Hoste (a sort of conferencier) had vitriolic comments.

:ermm:

Colourful ceremonial on an ice-cold Dam Square.

as to the maxima and Mathilde....

I think they are pointing out the difference I. She and background. Maxima was 28 when she met her husband. And though her dad was in politics, she lived a pretty simple middle class life. On the other hand Mathilde was 23 when she and Philippe began. At that age she years is a big difference. She was alsp raised in the minor aristocracy. She may not have been raised to be a queen, but she wouldn't have been new to these circles. She would have had a better understanding.

Wasn't Maxima's father a wealthy landowner ? I am not familiar with her family, but Argentina is a fairly large country where rural properties tend to be much bigger than the most impressive estates in Britain or France, and even more so than estates in the tiny Benelux countries. As far as Argentinean social hierarchy is concerned, I would suspect then that Maxima was much closer to an equivalent to "landed gentry" than to a "quiet middle-class life". Having said that, I agree that Mathilde, having been born and raised in Europe in a very old aristocratic family, probably had a better understanding of royal court life than Maxima had when she married Willem-Alexander.

On the broader discussion, one cannot ignore the historic background. When the (mostly Protestant at the time) Republic of the Seven Provinces seceded from the Habsburg Netherlands in the 16th century, the Catholic south that is now Belgium remained under Spanish and, later, Austrian rule (when the Spanish branch of the Habsburg family became extinct). Following the occupation of both Belgium and the Netherlands by the French during the Napoleonic era, the Congress of Vienna sought to create a United Kingdom of the Netherlands under Willem I of Orange-Nassau. That united kingdom lasted 15 years or so only, as the Belgians rose against the king in 1830 and established an independent kingdom of their own whose crown was offered in 1831 to Leopold of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

The Belgian revolution was triggered by (at the time) irreconcilible differences between the South and the North over language, religion and the constitution (Willem I having in particular absolutist tendencies, whereas the liberal Belgians wanted a more limited constitutional monarchy). Of course, the context has changed over the past 200 years and Belgium and the Netherlands now enjoy very cordial relations within the European Union, but historic baggage cannot be erased and surfaces occasionally in articles like the ones linked above. Let's not forget that, until today, Belgian law, I believe, forbids any prince or princess of Belgium from marrying a member of the House of Orange-Nassau, reflecting perhaps lingering insecurity over a Dutch annexation of Belgium.

Last edited:
It is 17.00 hours and I browsed Belgian online frontpages:

Het Laatste Nieuws - nothing
De Standaard - an article about a border correction with a 2 years old picture
De Morgen - nothing
Le Soir - the same article as De Standaard but with a picture from today
La Dernière Heure - nothing
La Libre Belgique - nothing

Two weeks ago the Dutch royal couple visited Australia and New Zealand. In all Dutch newsmedia this was reported, often with photo- and videostreams. The same today.

What a difference. No wonder the Belgians hear or see nothing about their royals: the media simply ignore them (unless it are juicy scandals around Albert, Laurent or Delphine)...

Last edited:
It is 17.00 hours and I browsed Belgian online frontpages:

Het Laatste Nieuws - nothing
De Standaard - an article about a border correction with a 2 years old picture
De Morgen - nothing
Le Soir - the same article as De Standaard but with a picture from today
La Dernière Heure - nothing
La Libre Belgique - nothing

Two weeks ago the Dutch royal couple visited Australia and New Zealand. In all Dutch newsmedia this was reported, often with photo- and videostreams. The same today.

What a difference. No wonder the Belgians hear or see nothing about their royals: the media simply ignore them (unless it are juicy scandals around Albert, Laurent or Delphine)...

I expect there will be some coverage of the state banquet though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually a ceremonial battery fom the Corps Riding Artillery fires gunsalutes during the welcome ceremony of a State Visit: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cnnawMCHVaw/maxresdefault.jpg

How was that done today in Amsterdam, since the King came per car? With gunshots from naval frigates?

No,none of that.

looking at the members and guests in this thread at this time,I suppose all are awaiting the truly glittering appearances in little under one hour...:)...

In Belgian media there seem to live mixed feelings about the State Visit: "Finally Philippe can go to a kingdom where everything works normal, he can escape his disfunctional family, he can learn from the true people-players WA and Máxima" (Jan van den Berghe in De Standaard).

But yesterday in the program Blauw Bloed the three Belgian guests in the former palace of Willem I in Antwerp classified Máxima as a "pretty duck" and Mathilde as a "gracious swan". Their reasoning was not consistent: "Máxima was never raised to be Queen and at the age of 20 she never knew she would be Queen". Complete bollocks: was Mathilde, living in deep green forests of the Ardennes raised to be Queen? Did she know on the age of 20 she would be Queen?

Then the three experts thought that Amalia should be in public more, like Elisabeth. Again they are not consistent: Elisabeth is years older than Amalia. And in the Netherlands on King's Day we see the princesses live on TV as well for the several photoshoots, sports tournaments, etc. In my assessment there is no difference between Elisabeth and Amalia.
Then they did a bit of Kremlin-watching: the King hugged Felipe and Frederik but did not hug Philippe. Conclusion: the relationship with Spain and Denmark is warmer than with Belgium... Seldom I have seen such fact-free blabla...

Seems to be the usual gossip talking about things when you don´t really know what to talk about... Well, a state visit as such is nothing exciting to most people so you start talking nonsense to be able to say anything.

Talking about the dutch Queen as a "pretty duck" is really an outrageous thing to say! It´s very different from what is always said about her in the german media where is nothing but praise for Máxima. I cannot recall all these years having ever heard something negative about the Queen here...!

But I remember Mathilde having been compared with Queen Rania this spring and this time it wasn´t really flattering for her, too! Because of her height the writer compared her with a very plump, huge animal (which I don´t recall) - so, everything is in the eye of the beholder.:whistling::ermm:

So the Jewels:
- Queen Máxima in the ruby Mellerio parure (her current favourite).
- Queen Mathilde in the Full Nine Provinces
- Princess Beatrix in the diamond bandeau
- Princess Margriet in the Pearl Button tiara
- Princess Laurentien in Queen Emma's floral tiara

After all, no surprises as far as we can see. I had hoped for a very nice jewel surprise.

So the Jewels:
- Queen Máxima in the ruby Mellerio parure (her current favourite).
- Queen Mathilde in the Full Nine Provinces
- Princess Beatrix in the diamond bandeau
- Princess Margriet in the Pearl Button tiara
- Princess Laurentien in Queen Emma's floral tiara

After all, no surprises as far as we can see. I had hoped for a very nice jewel surprise.

Hopefully we will get some bigger/closer pictures.

odd sitting plan

It is protocollary correct:
- the two heads of state in the middle
- flanked by their consorts
- a former head of state given a seat
- the junior royals standing

Just saw parts of the speeches on tv. Wow, what a glitter on my ultra HD screen. Especially Queen Máxima's diamonds were super sparkling. The big glimmers in the arches of the Nine Provinces had a nice softer colour. Hope to find a video soon

Back
Top Bottom