Abdication of Queen Beatrix & Inauguration of Willem-Alexander: Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is a distinctive? It has to be worn on a uniform I guess, but what is the meaning/use of it?

Last edited:
What exactly is a distinctive? It has to be worn on a uniform I guess, but what is the meaning/use of it?

This distinctive has the Sword of State,Scepter and Orb in it as to refer to his role,to emphasize he is the King and the Highest in Rank,even though not in active service ofcourse.

On occasion of the upcoming events the Royal House website has launched an on-line exhibition on previous Enthronement ceremonies:

Troonswisseling - Het Koninklijk Huis

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be a special coronation mass on April 28th at the St. Nicholas Basilica in Amsterdam. The mass will be attended by Martine van Loon-Labouchere (grand mistress of the court). Other members of the court, politicians, militairy representatives etc. will also attend the mass. The Vatican will be represented by their abassador, the apostolic nuncio monseigneur A. Dupuy. The service will be led by the Bisshop of Haarlem-Amsterdam Mgr. Jos Punt.

The mass will be broadcasted live on Nederland 2 at 10:10 AM

Bisdom Haarlem-Amsterdam - Nieuws

Last edited:
There will be a special coronation mass on April 28th at the St. Nicholas Basilica in Amsterdam. The mass will be attended by Martine van loon-Labouchere (grand mistress of the court). Other members of the court, politicians, militairy representatives etc. will also attend the mass. The Vatican will be represented by their abassador, the apostolic nuncio monseigneur A. Dupuy. The service will be led by the Bisshop of Haarlem-Amsterdam Mgr. Jos Punt.

The mass will be broadcasted live on Nederland 2 at 10:10 AM

Bisdom Haarlem-Amsterdam - Nieuws

What a beautiful setting,such an imposing landmark building in Amsterdam and I even attended a Mass (in Spanish) there some years back!

Most catholic churches in the north have been built after 1853, during the catholic emancipation, which resulted in a lot of neo-gothic/ neo-baroque churches, a style that I don't particulary care for. Before that, catholics were allowed to practise their religion, as long as it wouldn't be too obvious, which resulted in for example this church: Our Lord on the Attic: Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. A church in a canal house in Amsterdam.

At the time there was quite some criticism on the 'catholic' entry of Amsterdam as the central station resembled a catholic building too, or so some protestants at the time thought, as does the Rijksmuseum (both buildings designed by the catholic Pierre Cuypers). Quite fitting though, as Amsterdam always had a large catholic community, the largest religion of the city (as the protestants were always devided in reformed/lutheran/baptist/Dutch reformed etc.).

At the moment five different parishes use the basilica, but the busiest mass is usually the one in Spanish, due to the Latin American expat community probably.

------
Some news items from the Dutch media about the inauguration:

----

Choreographer Hans van Manen will direct the choreography that two dancers will perform on a panton in the IJ during the festivities there after the inhauguration. The dancers will be selected from the national ballet, they will dance on music by Eric Satie.

The national Opera will perform on the square of the Eye film institute. They will play L’Amour des Trois Oranges by Sergej Prokofjev. The opera is about a prince who becomes a king, so very fitting.

Gratis Nieuws - Nederlands Dagblad

Two hundred, mostly traditional, vessels will participate during the event. On the Java island DJ Armin van Buuren will perform with the royal concertgebouw orchestra. At the end of the celebration 150.000 orange balloons will be released in the sky.

All in all not too bad, no toe-curving performances by Dutch B-pop artists are announced yet. So let's count our blessings while we can.

------------

From April 22nd there will be a photo exposition of Queen Beatrix in the building of the European parlament in Brussels:
http://www.refdag.nl/achtergrond/ko...er_koningin_beatrix_in_europarlement_1_730175

----------------------

A funny story from the Reformatorisch Dagblad: The chairman of the Orange foundation in the town of Urk (Flevoland), declined an invitation to the ceremony. He says that he doesn't own a suit and doesn't want to buy one either. He also adds that the ceremony will last for four hours, and he doesn't know if he can sit still for that amount of time... and adds that he wouldn't know what to do if he needed to go to the toilet during the ceremony:

http://www.refdag.nl/achtergrond/ko...een_pak_en_wat_te_doen_bij_hoge_nood_1_730375

-------------
yesterday mayor van der Laan announced that 10.000 police(wo)men will be present in Amsterdam on April 30th. There will be extra security easures around the Amstel hotel and the Okura hotel, where the foreign royal guests will be staying.

10.000 agenten ingezet voor inhuldiging Willem-Alexander - BINNENLAND - PAROOL

---------------

According to Radio DJ Gerard Ekdom, who attended the special lunch in Noordeinde palace yesterday, the prince said that his mother already told him about her abdication plans 1 1/2 years ago.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/1236...Gerard-Ekdom-prins-wist-het-al-1-5-jaar.dhtml

-----------
The commander of the Dutch Armed Forces, Tom Middendorp, will carry the state sword during the inauguration. This means that he will lead the king's procession from the palace to the new church. The state banner will be carried by Ton van Ede, Inspector-General of the Armed Forces:

Nieuws.nl - Legerchef Middendorp draagt rijkszwaard

I wonder who will actually announce the arrival of the king in the church. For Beatrix it was done by Erik Hazelhoff-Roelfzema aka 'soldier of Orange'. I suppose under normal circumstances Marco Kroon, the newest knight of the Militairy Willems order would be the obvious choice. Were it not that he was accused of the use of cocaine not too long ago. Even though he is acquitted from the drugs charges, he was sentenced a E. 750,- fine and a conditional 80 hours of community service for possession and provision of electroshock weapons. I can imagine that they will decide to ask somebody else.

Last edited:
I hope Maxima and WA dress the girls diferently either for the balcony appearance or the Investure Ceremony, but something tells me that my wish will not come true and that the girls will go with the same dresses.

Nice to see the rumours that Letizia and Felipe will attend, I was afraid that because of all the dificult situation the Spanish Royal Family is facing now, they would not send anyone to represent their country. I guess that all the Crown Princely couples that were invited to go to The Netherlands to be with Maxima and WA before will definately attend April 30th.

As for attendies, Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla will probably attend, but since he went to Beatrix's Investure, he might let the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attend (now that I would die with extreme happiness).
As for outside Europe, I think Crown Prince Naruhito might attend as he is a friend of WA and he's also an heir, I really hope Crown Princess Masako will attend as well (but I can't get my hopes up, seriously William and Catherine has higher chances to attend than Masako has, unfortunately). I would be so happy if other heirs came, such as Crown Prince of Thailand and Princess Srirasmi, Crown Prince Billah of Brunei and Princess Sarah, Crown Prince Hamdam of Dubai, Princess Lalla Salma of Morocco and her son Crown Prince Moulay Hassan, Crown Prince Hussein of Jordan, etc...

The date was just released for the grand farewell event in honour of HM Queen Beatrix,it will be Rotterdam,we knew that,but on september 14th.:flowers:

The festivities will start in the end of the afternoon,water will play a large role,this part will be organised by the City of Rotterdam... and then in the evening a grand party with music,dance and performances will be held at the AHOY Complex,organised by the National Inauguration Committee.

Last edited:
I guess we will hear who will represent The Queen soon at the inauguration. I'm thinking Charles & Camilla will go. Edward & Sophie, Anne and Gloucester's seem to be busy at the moment.

It would be nice if the Cambridge's were sent though.

According to Hello, Felipe and Letizia have confirmed their appearance at the inauguration.

Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia confirm their attendance at the Dutch inauguration
Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia confirm their attendance at the Dutch inauguration - hellomagazine.com

Yes,Hola are running with this story,nothing official yet on casareal.es but that maybe updated later.

Los Príncipes de Asturias asistirán a la coronación de Guillermo de H | Realeza | Noticias hola.com

At the last Dutch Enthronement in 1980,Infanta Pilar and her late husband Don Luis,Viscount de la Torre represented Spain.

Do you think that there will attend any non-reigning royals (now I am not speaking of Princess Irene's family) the inauguration?

I doubt, but it can be checked if non-reigning royals attended Beatrix's to have a general view.
Yes,Hola are running with this story,nothing official yet on casareal.es but that maybe updated later.

Los Príncipes de Asturias asistirán a la coronación de Guillermo de H | Realeza | Noticias hola.com

At the last Dutch Enthronement in 1980,Infanta Pilar and her late husband Don Luis,Viscount de la Torre represented Spain.
Well, back then Felipe was too young to represent his country (12 years old), so I believe he will go this time with Letizia;)

Do you think that there will attend any non-reigning royals (now I am not speaking of Princess Irene's family) the inauguration?

No, there were no non reigning royals in 1980 or in 1948 (apart from the Parma's and Lippe's) so I do not expect them now either, which is a pity.

Is this really actually happening? Does anyone know Beatrix's reasoning for abdication? I mean, it is one thing to be personally tired (mentally and physically) about doing the job...but by doing this (abdicating) you basically are telling your son, it is your turn now, I have had enough! I don't know, I could be wrong but this is so rare these days and being a monarch is a job for life with your offspring taking over on the occassion of their death...?

Is this really actually happening? Does anyone know Beatrix's reasoning for abdication? I mean, it is one thing to be personally tired (mentally and physically) about doing the job...but by doing this (abdicating) you basically are telling your son, it is your turn now, I have had enough! I don't know, I could be wrong but this is so rare these days and being a monarch is a job for life with your offspring taking over on the occassion of their death...?
It's common in the Netherlands to Abdicate in favor of the heir (Son/Daughter) After you get to a certain age unlike in Britain, Belgium and Sweden where it a 'Til Death Job' Her mother and Grandmother abdicated as well.

Abdications have different meanings in different monarchies - not all modern monarchies believe that to be monarch is to do so until the end of your days. Abdication due to age is considered the norm in the Netherlands - Beatrix is the 6th monarch, and will be the 4th to abdicate. Luxembourg also has something of a tradition of abdication (although not always out of choice), as 4 of it's 9 monarchs (3 out of the last 4) have abdicated.

There's a dedicated thread,where you should find the answers

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f279/queen-beatrix-announces-abdication-january-28th-2013-a-34494.html

Close up of King Willem-Alexander's royal distinctive

PPE Agency

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

Last edited by a moderator:
In newspaper 'Trouw' an article was published of Margriet van der Linden, editor-in-chief of the feminist magazine 'Opzij'. In the article she regrets the lost opportunities of princess Máxima to be more active for minorities (gays, immigrants, women). She fears that in the future Máxima will be more limited to support these groups.

Adiós, Máxima, je kansen zijn verkeken - Nieuws - TROUW

I don't agree with the author and think that as crown princess she also wasn't allowed to be too much involved with minorities. They tried it with the commission PAVEM (integration of immigrants) and it proved to be too politically sensitive.

I completely respect the Dutch system and will only say this once, but it makes me sad that there will no longer be a 'Queen Beatrix'. She's such a majestic lady!

Oh, well - time moves forward and it's exciting to have a King Willem Alexander and Queen Beatrix.

I suppose that she will be referred to as Queen Beatrix only after her death again, so let's hope that we can enjoy Princess Beatrix as long as possible.

---

The New Republican society started an initiative to collect 40.000 signatures to start a debate in parlament about the salary of the new king. If a çitizens initiative has 40.000 signatures, parlament will need to discuss the matter there.

They compare the salary of the queen at present (€ 825.000,-) to the salaries of president Obama ($ 400.000,-), bundespresident Gauck (€ 199.000,-) and king Juan Carlos (€ 150.000,-) and add that all three of them do pay tax while the Dutch monarch does not.

Republikeinen willen debat over salaris koning - Binnenland - VK

Last edited:
I suppose that she will be referred to as Queen Beatrix only after her death again, so let's hope that we can enjoy Princess Beatrix as long as possible.

---

The New Republican society started an initiative to collect 40.000 signatures to start a debate in parlament about the salary of the new king. If a çitizens initiative has 40.000 signatures, parlament will need to discuss the matter there.

They compare the salary of the queen at present (€ 825.000,-) to the salaries of president Obama ($ 400.000,-), bundespresident Gauck (€ 199.000,-) and king Juan Carlos (€ 150.000,-) and add that all three of them do pay tax while the Dutch monarch does not.

Republikeinen willen debat over salaris koning - Binnenland - VK

I wonder if they will obtain the 40,000 signatures required!

I am wondering about that too,if people can sign online perhaps they will have a chance. But I didn't check how their campaign actually works.

------
According to two Argentinian newspapers, Vice president Amando Boudou will head an Argentinian delegtion of twenty people that will attend the ceremony, among them the chairwoman of the Argentine senate. The will stay in Amsterdam for about a week:

"Vice-president Argentinië bij 30/4" - NOS Nieuws

Apparently he will be travelling with KLM and NOT with Aerolineas Argentinas, even though president Fernandez de Kirchner issued a decree that Argentine officials have to use the national airlines for official visits.

Article from

Clarin: http://www.clarin.com/politica/Boudou-comitiva-personas-asuncion-Maxima_0_899910056.html

La Nacion: Para la asunción de Máxima Zorreguieta, Amado Boudou viaja con once personas a Holanda - lanacion.com *

Is it known how the new Dutch Euro Cent will look like? ;)

Great to know Haakon and Mette-Marit will be going. Still no word on who will go from the British royal family. Perhaps Charles & Camilla or Prince Michael & Princess Michael of Kent.

Great to know Haakon and Mette-Marit will be going. Still no word on who will go from the British royal family. Perhaps Charles & Camilla or Prince Michael & Princess Michael of Kent.

Charles is meeting the UAE President for lunch on the 30th April I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom