Abdication of Queen Beatrix & Inauguration of Willem-Alexander: Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Abdication of Queen Beatrix & Inauguration of Willem-Alexander: Suggestions & Musings

Nl-arms.gif

The Coat of Arms of the Kingdom of The Netherlands

Dutch Inauguration Suggestions and Musings

Last edited:
Don't know if this should go here;
@royalmusing: New succession after 4-30 will be Amalia, Alexia, Ariane, Constatijn, Eloise, Claus-Casimir, Leonore & Margriet

Will the inauguration take place in the Nieuwe Kerk?

Does anyone knows a link to watch the speech of the Queen ??

What will be Queen Beatrix title after the abdication? Will she still be Queen or is there a special title for monarchs who have abdicated?

I presume Maxima will also become queen?

What will be Queen Beatrix title after the abdication? Will she still be Queen or is there a special title for monarchs who have abdicated?

They're saying in the other thread she'll be known as Princess Beatrix.

I think Maxima will be Queen.

It was Queen Wilhelmina who wished to be known as Princess after her Abdication,a gesture her daughter Juliana followed that example.It has
not been announced what title HM Queen Beatrix has in mind,but Queen Mother would do nicely in my opinion...:)

I hope that Máximas parents will be allowed to attend the inauguration!

It was Queen Wilhelmina who wished to be known as Princess after her Abdication,a gesture her daughter Juliana followed that example.It has
not been announced what title HM Queen Beatrix has in mind,but Queen Mother would do nicely in my opinion...:)

Didn't the Dutch formalize this around the same time as it was decided that a female heir would be Princess of Orange that an abdicated monarch would revert to Prince/Princess of The Natherlands.

My very best wishes and congratulations to Their Royal Highnesses The Prince & Princess of Orange-Nassau.

Will the sons of Princess Margriet after the inauguration still be Princes and their wifes Princesses?

It would make sense if WA decided to use his full name, he is Willem-Alexander after all and not "just" Willem. Though King Willem IV sounds very regal, but so does King Willem-Alexander I.

All 4 of Margriets children retain their titles Prince and Princess Van Orange Nassau, but the 2 who currently have succession rights will cease to be in the line of succession on April 30th.

The last Coronation I have seen was the one for The late King of Tonga, George Tupou V. The next Coronation haven't taken place yet, I think.

It is true that Amsterdam has to be the place of the enthronement according to the constitution, but it doesn't have to be the Nieuwe Kerk. However it is tradition to choose this church, so Willem-Alexander made this choice like his mother and grandmother before him.

According to the NOS:

- Princess Máxima called prime minister Rutte to inform him that her parents decided not to attend the inauguration ceremony.
- It will be king Willem-Alexander and NOT king Willem IV.

Is public public opinion on Jorge Zorreguieta in the Netherlands still negative? Would his attendance at the inauguration be controversial? If so, it is gracious of them not to put Maxima in a difficult situation by deciding not to attend.

Last edited:
It is true that Amsterdam has to be the place of the enthronement according to the constitution, but it doesn't have to be the Nieuwe Kerk. However it is tradition to choose this church, so Willem-Alexander made this choice like his mother and grandmother before him.

The Constitution also says the Nieuwe Kerk is the venue.

We also will celebrate Kingsday instead of Queensday.so instead april 30th it will be april 27th in future,as of 2014.

I hope that Máximas parents will be allowed to attend the inauguration!

Máxima made it know to the PM that her parents will not be in attendance...A very gracious deed indeed,but one i wouldn't have had a problem with,at all.

And Gertrude,The Nieuwe Kerk IS the venue according to the Constitution,regardless what the NOS says.It has been the case since King Willem I.

I expect the usual politically correct controversy if new fur trimmed robes are made for King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima to wear for the installation on April 30th.
Also expect the usual complaints about expense of the ceremony and some small protests by some groups on the day as that also seems to have become something of a Dutch tradition.

My lovely Dutch step mother just phoned to invite me over to the Netherlands for the Abdivation and Inauguration ceremonies!! She is not sure whether it will be best to watch it on television or to go to Amsterdam and watch from the crowds!

I understand that a great canopy will be erected between Dam Palace and the Nieuwe Kerk made of fishermen's nets under which the guests and the new king will walk for the Inauguratin ceremony. The crown, orb and sceptre will be laid out before the new king as he takes his oath. He will wear, I think, his military uniform and a great mantle of red velvet embroidered with golden lions. (I imagine a new thread will be created for suggestions of what Maxima will wear to the Inauguration!)

I hope that a new piece of music will be composed for the ceremony as was done for Queen Beatrix.

And Gertrude,The Nieuwe Kerk IS the venue according to the Constitution,regardless what the NOS says.It has been the case since King Willem I.

Not doubting, but I just read the wiki article on your constitution and a related article on your monarchy and it only specified 'the capital'.

We also will celebrate Kingsday instead of Queensday.so instead april 30th it will be april 27th in future,as of 2014.
Queensday wasn't celebrated on the Queen's birthday (31 January) but on the day of her installment.
If WA will be installed on 30 April as well why should Kingsday be celebrated on his birthday and not as usual on 30 April?

Queensday wasn't celebrated on the Queen's birthday (31 January) but on the day of her installment.
If WA will be installed on 30 April as well why should Kingsday be celebrated on his birthday and not as usual on 30 April?

It was more a gesture from Beatrix to honor her mother who was born on 30 April.
W-A birthday is on the 27th of April so he likes to change it. 31 January was and is not really an option because of the weather conditions in this periode.

Last edited:
So Will there be representation from other countries on april 30th 2013

Queensday was celebrated firstly on the birthday of QueenWilhelmina, on August 31st. After she abdicated it moved to the birthday of Queen Juliana, April 30th. Queen Beatrix decided to stick to this date to honor her mother. But now it will change to the Willem-Alexanders birthday.

In time the new royal family will move to the Hague to palace ¨huis ten Bosch¨ the queen will move to palace ¨Drakensteyn¨

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom