Abdication of Queen Beatrix & Inauguration of Willem-Alexander: Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Will there be representation from other countries on april 30th 2013

Oh, I do hope so. Any excuse for the Masters of the Universe to whip out their bling and their finery is fine by me.

Likely some of the foreign heirs will attend on April 30th as they did in 1980 but the dress code did not include tiaras for the guests. For the ladies it was gowns and hats, for the men it was uniforms or white tie with decorations. Only Beatrix wore a tiara. This is a civil installation ceremony not a coronation.

I expect most heirs + spouses will attend, apart from the UK perhaps. As it is a state event I do not expect we will see multiple people representing one family. So no Astrid, ánd Laurent, ánd Philippe + spouses, but just Philippe and Mathilde. I am also not convinced that much non-reigning royals will be invited.

Last edited:
Would it be the heirs and the spouses, or the current reigning monarchs (aside from UK)

Enthronements/coronations etc. are tradionally not attended by other heads of state. Though there has been exceptions, the most recent one in Luxembourg where King Albert II and Queen Beatrix attended the investure of Grand Duke Henri.

I think all the royals should come, ALL of them - kids, parents, aunts, uncles, a few tag-a-longs. Their pets, too. Hey, they got the cash.

They can have a barbecue, with orange and white themed cutlery, paper tablecloths, etc. Saves on all the cleanup. Little windmill souvenirs at every table. All under orange and white tents. Big moonwalks and air slides for the little royals.

Pippa does party planning know - she's a famous authoress on the subject. They can have her do up the whole thing.

I wonder who, if the UK does get invited, will they send. I would think it would be Charles and Camilla but Sophie and Edward went to Albert's enthronement in 2005.

Reactions: ap3
I think all the royals should come, ALL of them - kids, parents, aunts, uncles, a few tag-a-longs. Their pets, too. Hey, they got the cash.

They can have a barbecue, with orange and white themed cutlery, paper tablecloths, etc. Saves on all the cleanup. Little windmill souvenirs at every table. All under orange and white tents. Big moonwalks and air slides for the little royals.

Pippa does party planning know - she's a famous authoress on the subject. They can have her do up the whole thing.

And everyone in Holland is going, who's Pippa? You are a hoot and a half.

I wonder who, if the UK does get invited, will they send. I would think it would be Charles and Camilla but Sophie and Edward went to Albert's enthronement in 2005.
I think Charles and Camilla will come. :flowers:

Says GracieGiraffe with tongue firmly planted in cheek!;)

I do hope so, else someone clearly cannot read ;)

I hope Charles and Camilla make the effort, this is the first crowning of a King in Charles' generation. Although I can't help thinking he wouldn't want to go, age difference an all :p

Enthronements/coronations etc. are tradionally not attended by other heads of state. Though there has been exceptions, the most recent one in Luxembourg where King Albert II and Queen Beatrix attended the investure of Grand Duke Henri.

Didn't Albert & Beatrix only witness Jean's abdication, and not the actual installation of Henri?

Charles did attend Beatrix's installation in 1980 so I suppose it is quite possible he will be back for the same ceremony in 2013.

I really hope Charles goes, particularly if he attended Beatrix's.

I think Queen Juliana was technically known as Princess Juliana after her abdication, and Queen Wilhelmina became Princess Wilhelmina, so I assume they'll do the same.

I think Queen Juliana was technically known as Princess Juliana after her abdication, and Queen Wilhelmina became Princess Wilhelmina, so I assume they'll do the same.

There is no choice to it. Under the Act on membership in the royal house it says that an abdicated monarch reverts to becoming Prince/Princess of The Netherlands. After they die people again start talking about them as Queen Wilhemina or Queen Juliana.

Are there any spectacular tiaras we haven't seen for a long while that Queen Maxima can delight us with?

Maxima will be Queen, it was announced on her 40th birthday.
Are there any spectacular tiaras we haven't seen for a long while that Queen Maxima can delight us with?
the ones that have been only reserved for Queen Beatrix, so i believe Maxima will now have the chance to wear them once shes Queen.
Alison H said:
Queen Wilhelmina became Princess Wilhelmina through her abdication because as she was born a Princess, she wanted to die as such. Queen Juliana just followed her mother steps, but this is not mandatory, Queen Beatrix might not want to be a princess again and be known as the Queen Mother. we shall wait and see...

i believe that some royals will attend, its a new King after all!!!
i wonder if Amalia, Alexia and Ariane wil attend as well, does anyone knows?

I would like to know if the A team will be present too.
And will it be a proclamation as well for Amalia as Princess of Orange?

Queen Wilhelmina became Princess Wilhelmina through her abdication because as she was born a Princess, she wanted to die as such. Queen Juliana just followed her mother steps, but this is not mandatory, Queen Beatrix might not want to be a princess again and be known as the Queen Mother. we shall wait and see...

Beatrix doesn't get a choice. It is now part of Dutch law that an abdicated monarch reverts to their former title of Prince/Princess.

Likely some of the foreign heirs will attend on April 30th as they did in 1980 but the dress code did not include tiaras for the guests. For the ladies it was gowns and hats, for the men it was uniforms or white tie with decorations. Only Beatrix wore a tiara. This is a civil installation ceremony not a coronation.

So my hopes for a splendiferous coronation have just been dashed and all I can expect is some dreary civil ceremony is a city hall somewhere?:sad: I guess seeing how my favorite foreign royals interpret gowns-with-hats still holds some appeal.:)

I really hope Charles goes, particularly if he attended Beatrix's.

Only if he can keep his gnashing of teeth in envy quiet enough not to be picked up by the cameras! Remember when Earl Spencer died and all he had to say to untactfully remark repeatedly was how lucky the new Earl was 'to have inherited early'.

thought theres no coronation, the upcoming ceremony is regal enough, unlike Denmark's.
the dress code is a special one, since The Netherlands are the only royals who use it (one time per year), it will be nice to see some european royals follow this old dress code tradition (and the one i love the most, even though i love tiaras).
its a nice change.

I expect most heirs + spouses will attend, apart from the UK perhaps. As it is a state event I do not expect we will see multiple people representing one family. So no Astrid, ánd Laurent, ánd Philippe + spouses, but just Philippe and Mathilde. I am also not convinced that much non-reigning royals will be invited.

That's what I was thinking too Marengo.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I was thinking too Marengo.

While the inauguration is not a Coronation as such, I really hope to see most fellow Monarchs (or at the very least, the Heirs) at the ceremony as well. And this is also the one occasion Prince Charles and Camilla can't really be excused to miss, especially if all other heirs attend.

The more I think about it, the more this Dutch model makes sense to me. Now, Willem-Alexander and Maxima will be able to enjoy their big day without the burden of a loss of a beloved family member. And Queen Beatrix will always be there to offer guidance and advice. In many ways, it really is better than "The King is dead. Long live the King" scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom