200 Years of the Kingdom of the Netherlands: 2013-2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
"The Kingdom of the Netherlands is 200 years old. Celebrations marking the bicentenary will be held from 2013 to 2015. This is a great opportunity to take stock of our shared past, present and future.

From November 2013 to September 2015 the National Committee for the Bicentenary of the Kingdom will be arranging events and festivities that involve as many people and organisations as possible".

- Read more at: English | 200 jaar Koninkrijk

On November 29th the king will receive the biographies of king Willem I, Willem II and Willem III in the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam. One of them has been written by a former teacher of mine (Dr. Jeroen van Zanten/ about Willem II). I am really looking forward to the biographies, they are the first academic ones in decades/ ever. Now let's hope that the fund can find money for simular biography on Queen regent Emma, who has been neglected in this project, but who had a more lasting impact on the monarchy than her husband.

On November 30th the day will start in Scheveningen, where the landing of prince Willem VI/ King Willem I is re-enacted. This is a tradition in Scheveningen, they do this every 25 years. Willem-Alexander participated in the event in 1988.

In the afternoon the celebrations will be started in the Hall of Knights

In the evening there will be a concert, with among others Caro Emerald. And they seem to have skipped the tackiest singers this time. 21 members of the RF will be present:

- The king and queen
- Princess Beatrix
- Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien
- Princess Margriet and Prof. Pieter van Vollenhoven
- Prince Maurits and Princess Marilene
- Prince Pieter-Chistiaan and Princess Anita
- Prince Floris and Princess Aimee
- Princess Irene
- Princess Christina
- The Duke and Duchess of Parma
- Prince Jaime and Princess Viktoria of Bourbon-Parma
- Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma and Tjalling ten Cate

---
Of course there has been a fair amount of critisism on the celebrations, especially among historians - since the comittee forgets the shortlived kingdom of Holland under Louis Napoleon.

One of my own former teachers, Dr. Jouke Turpijn calls it a 'bizarre party': 'Herdenking 200 jaar koninkrijk is bizar feest' - opinie - VK. The 5 aspects that are commemorated seem to have been taken out of an election campaign and not from our history.

Last edited:

King Willem-Alexander today, November 29, received the first set of three biographies of the Dutch Kings Willem I, II and III at the Nieuw Kerk in Amsterdam. A quite cute presentation with those three boys :):

** ppe gallery ** anp gallery **

Nice that the royal archives were finally fully accessable for the researchers. The king held a speech, the speech was nice enough, but the delivery not quite.

The press mainly focusses on 'Sex, drugs & rock 'n roll': the sexual scandals around the kings. But there should be much more new info about them.

Nice that the royal archives were finally fully accessable for the researchers. The king held a speech, the speech was nice enough, but the delivery not quite.

The press mainly focusses on 'Sex, drugs & rock 'n roll': the sexual scandals around the kings. But there should be much more new info about them.

The press yes,but these three books contain more then was known as the authors had access to the Royal House Archives so there's more in it.

On November 29th the king will receive the biographies of king Willem I, Willem II and Willem III in the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam. One of them has been written by a former teacher of mine (Dr. Jeroen van Zanten/ about Willem II). I am really looking forward to the biographies, they are the first academic ones in decades/ ever. Now let's hope that the fund can find money for simular biography on Queen regent Emma, who has been neglected in this project, but who had a more lasting impact on the monarchy than her husband.

On November 30th the day will start in Scheveningen, where the landing of prince Willem VI/ King Willem I is re-enacted. This is a tradition in Scheveningen, they do this every 25 years. Willem-Alexander participated in the event in 1988.

In the afternoon the celebrations will be started in the Hall of Knights

In the evening there will be a concert, with among others Caro Emerald. And they seem to have skipped the tackiest singers this time. 21 members of the RF will be present:

- The king and queen
- Princess Beatrix
- Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien
- Princess Margriet and Prof. Pieter van Vollenhoven
- Prince Maurits and Princess Marilene
- Prince Pieter-Chistiaan and Princess Anita
- Prince Floris and Princess Aimee
- Princess Irene
- Princess Christina
- The Duke and Duchess of Parma
- Prince Jaime and Princess Viktoria of Bourbon-Parma
- Princess Margarita of Bourbon-Parma and Tjalling ten Cate

---
Of course there has been a fair amount of critisism on the celebrations, especially among historians - since the comittee forgets the shortlived kingdom of Holland under Louis Napoleon.

One of my own former teachers, Dr. Jouke Turpijn calls it a 'bizarre party': 'Herdenking 200 jaar koninkrijk is bizar feest' - opinie - VK. The 5 aspects that are commemorated seem to have been taken out of an election campaign and not from our history.

A short lived but successfull Reign by Louis Napoéon yes,even tho curtailed by his big brother.

Historians should read and realise that what we celebrate now is 200 years of Monarchy under the House of Orange Nassau.It's all perfectly allright.
Good to see all Members of the (extended-) Royal Family will be in attendance tomorrow evening :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
A very cold and windy Scheveningen earlyer today:

PPE Agency

courtesy PPE

The official part of the gathering at the Hall of Knights in the presence of TM and HRH Princess Beatrix as well as Prof Pieter van Vollenhoven is just over.More pics will follow soon and then ofcourse there is the Kingdom concert this evening when all Members of the RF will be in attendance except TH Prince Bernhard and Princess Annette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Maxima's face seems to be so others than before a few months! (At the last few events and photos what I saw about her, I had the feeling, that she let made a plastic surgery... IMO... Or the make-up makes it?)
Queen Maxima Of The Netherlands Leaves The Circus

seeing she has her front expression marks very visible, i don't see how she could have undergone surgery. besides, maxima talked about surgery to friends in argentina a while back and said she wasn't keen on it, so i don't think we will see maxima being "retouched".

On August 30th the king WA, Queen Máxima, King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa president Gauck of Germany and his partner Daniela Schadt will attend a n event in Maastricht (Dutch Limburg) to commemorate the 200 years of the Kingdom of the Netherands.

Royalblog points out that the Grand Duke may be able to correct the comitee that organises the event, as they claim that Luxembourg was part of the kingdom. officially however, it was always a seperate Grand Duchy, handed to King Willem I as a compensation for the loss of the Nassau home lands to the Fürst of Nassau-Weilburg (who was promoted Duke of Nassau, and whose descendents now rule over Luxembourg).

ROYALBLOG.NL: Na 200 jaar blijkt Luxemburg opeens deel te hebben uitgemaakt van het Koninkrijk

The event starts at 14:15 (GMT+1) and can be watched live here:

NPO 2 - Live tv - NPO

---
The weather is grey, dull and rainy and since part of the event is outside that is a pity. But maybe it is slightly better in the South.

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima, King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess María Teresa, President Joachim Gauck and Frau Daniela Schat (partner of President Gauck) will also visit the famous Vrijthof square, where the annual Preuvenemint takes place. It is the biggest "Fête de Gastronomie" in the Netherlands, where the many outstanding restaurants of Maastricht and surroundings present their fine food to the locals.

The name Preuvenemint comes from the Limbourgian dialect: preuven = to taste, evenemint = evenement. Expensive and quite posh restaurants as Beluga, Château Neercanne, Au Coin des Bons Enfants, Château St Gerlach or Beaumont are now "within reach" for normal people with normal budgets because with special coins everyone can try their food in pavillions erected in the inner city.

I think the royal and presidential guests will have a great time in Maastricht.

http://www.chapeaumagazine.com/CropUp/1920x530/media/103264/Preuvenemint-header.jpg

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima, King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess María Teresa, President Joachim Gauck and Frau Daniela Schat (partner of President Gauck) will also visit the famous Vrijthof square, where the annual Preuvenemint takes place. It is the biggest "Fête de Gastronomie" in the Netherlands, where the many outstanding restaurants of Maastricht and surroundings present their fine food to the locals.

The name Preuvenemint comes from the Limbourgian dialect: preuven = to taste, evenemint = evenement. Expensive and quite posh restaurants as Beluga, Château Neercanne, Au Coin des Bons Enfants, Château St Gerlach or Beaumont are now "within reach" for normal people with normal budgets because with special coins everyone can try their food in pavillions erected in the inner city.

I think the royal and presidential guests will have a great time in Maastricht.

http://www.chapeaumagazine.com/CropUp/1920x530/media/103264/Preuvenemint-header.jpg

But not a long time: Violinist and bandleader (and proud Maastricht-native) Andre Rieu offered to play for the royals for free (because they are visiting his native town), but this was declined because there was no time..

I can understand that... André Rieu.... eeeh....

:eek:

;)

I can understand that... André Rieu.... eeeh....

:eek:

;)

His music might not be your personal taste, but seeing how they are positioning this gathering in Maastricht (focus on cross-border, culture, music-without-borders) a performance by him (especially because it is in Maastricht) would not have been out of order at all

But then, who am i to speak, i'm not going to watch the kingdom-show anyway :flowers:

Well, although I would never in a million years listen to André Rieu voluntarily, his performance should be less tedious than what they showed now. A secundary school celebration is more interesting. Why on earth celebrate 200 years kingdom with a (very bad) fashion show, an unkown DJ, toe-curvingly bad & pretentious poetry, a 2nd-rate musical artist singing old Eurovision songs, an unknown bad singer in dialect, a frumpy marching band and ending it with a bad cheesy song by an unknown singer with a weak voice?

Instead of having 10? mediocre / bad events from 2013-2015 that few people watch, they should have invested the money in one large professional show IMHO. Anyway, at least it will provide a lot of material for Lucky TV (satire part of a daily show).

The NOS stopped the broadcast so we won't see the speech by the German president, which most likely is the most interesting thing of the whole event.

-
Anyway, it was nice to see the Benelux monarchs all together. It seems the Dutch king has a new hairstyle.

Queen Mathilde looked lovely. Máxima repeated her King's day dress but with a nicer hat.

Last edited:
Well, it is organized by a state-committee, so the complaints should go to the honourable ladies and gentlemen whom organized this. Maybe the last event in Amsterdam will have a big show. I think the fun part will be the "spontaneous" dining-and-wining at the Vrijthof.

Well, it is organized by a state-committee, so the complaints should go to the honourable ladies and gentlemen whom organized this. Maybe the last event in Amsterdam will have a big show. I think the fun part will be the "spontaneous" dining-and-wining at the Vrijthof.

The committee's chair being Ank Bijleveld...I mean hey...How frumpy can one wish for!!...:whistling::p

Thank goodness they have a whiff of "Preuvenemint" planned....Wonderfull!

I just saw the pictures and a stream. The guests all looked wonderful but I must admit Grand Duchess María Teresa looked quite swollen and plastered. On the pictures it was not that bad maybe it was the quality of the stream. I had expected more Limbourgian flair, the festive element was a bit missing so far.

The King and the Queen: http://media.nu.nl/m/m1oxbnaa6ox6_std1024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom