Influence of Women on The Imperial Succession

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City
Indianapolis
Country
United States
Being a new member, I do not know if this is the place to post this... there were "reigning" Empresses in the past in Japan, the more recent ones being MYOSHO (1629-1643) and GO-SAKURAMACHI (1762-1770). My real interest is in discussing the influence that women had on the succession through the years. Beginning with Fujiwara Fubito (Fuhito), who placed one daughter, Fujiwara Miyako-no-Iratsume, as a "consort" of Emperor MOMMU, ca. 697, and a second one, Fujiwara Asuka, as the Empress Consort of Emperor SHOMU, her nephew. The latter's son was Imperial Princess Takano, who ascended the throne as Empress KOKEN (749-758). Fujiwara Asuka was the fist non-imperial princess of the dynasty to be elevated to Empress Consort. These unions established the precedent for Fujiwara women becoming more "favorable" as candidates of potential mothers of future emperors than were daughters of emperors themselves!

Does anyone have suggestions as to English-text sources about the Imperial Family and their Fujiwara, Minamoto, and Taira (among others) wives and concubines?

But still, every tenno for two thousands years has been descendants to the first tenno on their father's side. Because it hasn't been like it's been in Europe, when a regent queen's children has become heirs, even though their father wasn't from the same dynasty. Even the female tennos was succeeded by someone else with imperial blood on their father's side. It's only now, when the Japanese imperial men no longer have concubines, that there's been a problem with this. And if Aiko became tenno one day, it would be okay as long as she ruled. But unless she marries a Japanese aristocrat with imperial blood, a two thousand long tradition will be broken, because her children will be the first tennos ever without imperial blood on their father's side. And I think that's a shame. I understand how you feel about princess Aiko. Her father will most likely become tenno, and his only child should be his successor. However, there is a boy in the family, prince Hisahito, who could carry on the old tradition. It's just that he will be the tenno's nephew and not his son, unless of course Hisahito's father succeeds his brother. So it's really a tough situation, very much like how it was here in Sweden back in the 19th century. Our king Carl XV's only son died as a two-year-old, so he only had a daughter, princess Louise. But the king's brother Oscar had four sons. Because she had both uncles and male cousins, princess Louise was thrown out of the succession and became queen of Denmark instead.

Last edited:
But still, every tenno for two thousands years has been descendants to the first tenno on their father's side. Because it hasn't been like it's been in Europe, when a regent queen's children has become heirs, even though their father wasn't from the same dynasty. Even the female tennos was succeeded by someone else with imperial blood on their father's side. It's only now, when the Japanese imperial men no longer have concubines, that there's been a problem with this. And if Aiko became tenno one day, it would be okay as long as she ruled. But unless she marries a Japanese aristocrat with imperial blood, a two thousand long tradition will be broken, because her children will be the first tennos ever without imperial blood on their father's side. And I think that's a shame. I understand how you feel about princess Aiko. Her father will most likely become tenno, and his only child should be his successor. However, there is a boy in the family, prince Hisahito, who could carry on the old tradition. It's just that he will be the tenno's nephew and not his son, unless of course Hisahito's father succeeds his brother. So it's really a tough situation, very much like how it was here in Sweden back in the 19th century. Our king Carl XV's only son died as a two-year-old, so he only had a daughter, princess Louise. But the king's brother Oscar had four sons. Because she had both uncles and male cousins, princess Louise was thrown out of the succession and became queen of Denmark instead.

However, all those ancient traditions were replaced with the new Meiji style psuedo Salic sort of law and the new government of that country was quite happy with it because their government was a replacement of the old Tokusen style mentality male centred sort of regime. In other words, the nature of the Go'tsu-san was re-designed as though it had become a new shogun. It was such a pity that the Emperor Mutsuhito went along with all those "bu-mon"' style reform of the imperial house rather than to preserve more "kughé-kata" style of his court.

People seem to use this "tradition" in order to defend their own interests. In my opinion, it may not have been a tradition of the Church of England to ordain women into such a ministry as that of catholic traditions, however, tradition is a living thing that it can evolve accordingly and the nature of the office of the Ten'noh-san, too, has evolved as Japan's long history has moved on, that, I see no greater shame in the people of Japan receiving a woman as their Ten'noh-san in the future.

In the recent history, the office of emperor of Japan changed post WWII. On hearing all the changes that were to be made for the emperor & his family etc, Hirohito's mother HIM the Tei'mei-san said to her chamberlain that she had no concern nor fear in all the changes that were to happen because the Imperial House had been in Japan for such a long time and the nature of it had changed many times but it managed to survive because of its adaptability etc and to her it only meant that the Imperial House was only returning to its pre-Meiji form etc and comforted her staff who were concerned about Her Imperial Majesty's feeling etc in front of all the changes that were to happen.

So, even if this Toshi-no-miya-san is to become the sovereign empress, I am sure that the long standing line of the Imperial House or the "Koh-toh" will never come to its end.

Well, if Hisahito had turned out to be a girl, Aiko would surely have been an heiress appearant now, because they would have had to change the succession laws then. But since Hisahito is a boy, we have to wait another generation to see if there will be any changes then.

Last edited:
Well, if Hisahito had turned out to be a girl, Aiko would surely have been an heiress appearant now, because they would have had to change the succession laws then. But since Hisahito is a boy, we have to wait another generation to see if there will be any changes then.

Yes, so it seems. However, when I speak to Japanese people who are happened to be my friends, they all say that the general public over there are more pro-Toshi-no-miya san to be their Ten'noh san. However, a lot of far extreme right yakuza sorts who deny the Massacre of Nanking etc make a lot of noise over this public opinion, so they say.

Yes, so it seems. However, when I speak to Japanese people who are happened to be my friends, they all say that the general public over there are more pro-Toshi-no-miya san to be their Ten'noh san. However, a lot of far extreme right yakuza sorts who deny the Massacre of Nanking etc make a lot of noise over this public opinion, so they say.[my bolding]
Yakuza is usually members of criminal organizations. Is there another meaning ?

Yakuza is usually members of criminal organizations. Is there another meaning ?

Oh, hello. Thank you very much for your message the other day.

Well, the "yakuzas" are criminal gangsters but they don't advertise as such, naturally, but they have their own front that are to do with properties, investments, running of some unsavoury entertainment industries and what-not, so I understand. They are always very much right wing in their mentality and connected to all sorts of right wing politicians and organisations etc who believe that the Japanese race as a supreme nation and what-not because they have got their Divine Emperor etc.

Thanks for explanation!:flowers:
The modern Japanese society no longer regards Emperor as a arahitogami (a living god) and a direct descendant of Amaterasu-Omikami, Goddess of the Sun. "Although still revered and discussed in semi-mystical terms by ultra-nationalists and a dwindling number of older Japanese raised to believe the Emperor was a god, most youngsters are indifferent to the Imperial Family"(McNeil & Bix, 2004). However, there are deeply rooted Asian attitude toward women. You know ... an Asian lady can be powerful, but she should behind her man. I dare to presume that these negative attitudes may be at the root of reluctance to accept a female Tenno.
ZNet |Japan | Trouble at the Top: Japan's Imperial Family in Crisis

Thanks for explanation!:flowers:
The modern Japanese society no longer regards Emperor as a arahitogami (a living god) and a direct descendant of Amaterasu-Omikami, Goddess of the Sun. "Although still revered and discussed in semi-mystical terms by ultra-nationalists and a dwindling number of older Japanese raised to believe the Emperor was a god, most youngsters are indifferent to the Imperial Family"(McNeil & Bix, 2004). However, there are deeply rooted Asian attitude toward women. You know ... an Asian lady can be powerful, but she should behind her man. I dare to presume that these negative attitudes may be at the root of reluctance to accept a female Tenno.
ZNet |Japan | Trouble at the Top: Japan's Imperial Family in Crisis

Well, it's the same here. The majority of our youger generations are not that bothered about our royal family. People are just so indifferent nowadays. Even the "Hello Magazine" etc have more articles that are to do with Posh & Beck sort of stuff these days. Oh, please do not think that I buy such magazines. I only have a look at them when I am having my hair done at my salon.

Oh, by the way, here, people do not call the people of Far Eastern origins "Asians" since "Asian" people here mean Indian and Pakistani people. Many people nowadays call Chinese and Japanese people "Oriental" people.

You sound to be a pro-Toshi-no-miya san Go'sokui (enthronement) in due course. I shall ask my friends if there is such a movement as to promote this Miya-san's position in Japan.

Oh, by the way, here, people do not call the people of Far Eastern origins "Asians" since "Asian" people here mean Indian and Pakistani people. Many people nowadays call Chinese and Japanese people "Oriental" people.

This is quite interesting...In Germany it is the other way round. Asians normally means "East Asians", and "Oriental" people are people that are from the Middle East. Indians and Pakistani people are just called "Indians" and "Pakistanis".

Similar to Germans, Kazakhs consider all nations of South-East and East Asia as Asian. The "Orient" refers to the Middle East. Odd enough but, we have never regarded Indians or Pakistanis as Asians. They are just what they are-Indians and Pakistanis...

Similar to Germans, Kazakhs consider all nations of South-East and East Asia as Asian. The "Orient" refers to the Middle East. Odd enough but, we have never regarded Indians or Pakistanis as Asians. They are just what they are-Indians and Pakistanis...

Oh, how interesting, I must say.

Anyway, for centuries, the "Gosho" or the imperial court was dominated by women and they did indeed contribute to the making of the Japanese emperor or the "Ten'noh"-san. So, why now those far right men of Japan have to make such a song and dance about this Princess Aiko the Toshi-no-miya san may become the sovereign empress ?

Empress Saimei's tomb found near Nara

Octagonal structures are considered to be unique to Imperial tombs built between the middle of the seventh to early eighth century. Given that shape, the tomb was identified as that of then reigning Empress Saimei (594-661) and her daughter, Princess Hashihito, the researchers said.
The Imperial Household Agency has claimed another tomb in Takatori, Nara Prefecture, is that of Empress Saimei, although little academic evidence has been found to support that argument. The new discovery may prompt academic reviews of other tombs designated by the agency as those of Imperial family members, researchers said. - Kyodo

Mainichi article

Masako Hamada, EdD, Translates Book on Eight Female Emperors of Japan | Villanova University
[...] Masako Hamada, EdD, director of the Asian Studies program in Villanova University’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, provides a history of those women in the translated book, The Eight Female Emperors of Japan: A Brief Introduction to Their Lives and Legacies (Fuzambo International, 2018). Over the course of four years, Dr. Hamada translated the text originally written by Kiyoko Takagi, into English, expanding access to this important piece of Japanese history.

“If a woman becomes emperor in Japan in the future, the histories of these eight female emperors will be a critical guide to understanding Japan’s imperial legacy,” Dr. Hamada said.

Dr. Hamada says the resurfacing conversation about female emperors raises a more general question about gender equality in Japan. [...]

Not sure if this is the right thread, but . . . . . could someone please explain to me the Imperial Household law as regards to daughters? When they marry they leave the Royal family. What does this mean exactly? Are they struck from the Imperial rolls(?)? Do their families ever see them again? It almost sounds like they become persona non grata.

When a princess marries outside the Imperial family, she becomes a private citizen. Her name is removed from the Imperial family registry and entered in Japan's Koseki registry which everyone else uses. She can still see her family but media generally avoid reporting their activities as they are private citizens.

A princess only stays in the Imperial family if they remain single or marry an Imperial male...which isn't likely (uncle, cousin... yuk. no)

We get glimpses of former princesses at family events like weddings, funerals, memorials, special concerts, etc. Sayako has been invited to birthday/anniversary concerts for her parents Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko; she also attended the banquet for the Belgium state visit.

Sayako is supreme priestess at Ise Grand Shrine so IHA and media will report on her ritual activities occasionally.

When a princess marries outside the Imperial family, she becomes a private citizen. Her name is removed from the Imperial family registry and entered in Japan's Koseki registry which everyone else uses. She can still see her family but media generally avoid reporting their activities as they are private citizens.

A princess only stays in the Imperial family if they remain single or marry an Imperial male...which isn't likely (uncle, cousin... yuk. no)

We get glimpses of former princesses at family events like weddings, funerals, memorials, special concerts, etc. Sayako has been invited to birthday/anniversary concerts for her parents Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko; she also attended the banquet for the Belgium state visit.

Sayako is supreme priestess at Ise Grand Shrine so IHA and media will report on her ritual activities occasionally.
That was nice to hear though, that Sayako is still able to be a supreme priestess. Because that sounds like a position, that you have to be a princess to reach.

Does anyone have suggestions as to English-text sources about the Imperial Family and their Fujiwara, Minamoto, and Taira (among others) wives and concubines?

I don't know any English-text book that mainly discussing about influence of women (non reigning empress) on Imperial family, but one that at least mentions about Fujiwara, Minamoto, and Taira women is "The Tale of the Heike" (McCullough, Helen Craig. (1988) The Tale of the Heike. Stanford, Calif. : Stanford University Press).

Several interesting figures that can be googled:
- Fujiwara no Nariko, Empress consort of Emperor Toba of Japan and mother of Emperor Konoe. She maneuvered her way to replaced Fujiwara no Tamako (Toba's favourite consort) and made her son to become emperor replacing Tamako's son.
- Taira no Tokiko, wife of Taira no Kiyomori. After her marriage to Kiyomori, her sister, Taira no Shigeko, married Emperor Go-Shirakawa. Tokiko's daughter, Taira no Tokuko, married Emperor Takakura (Shigeko's son) and gave birth to Emperor Antoku.
- Hojo Masako, wife of Minamoto no Yoritomo. She's more or less the real power behind the early Kamakura shogunate.

Not from those three clans:
- (later, Oeyo), wife of Tokugawa Hidetada. Her daughter, Masako, married Emperor Go-Mizunoo. Due to scandal of Kasuga no Tsubone (wet nurse of Tokugawa Iemitsu, Gō's eldest son) visiting Imperial court as a commoner, the emperor abdicated and in turn Masako's daughter, Okiko, ascended the throne as Empress Meisho.

Last edited:
That was nice to hear though, that Sayako is still able to be a supreme priestess. Because that sounds like a position, that you have to be a princess to reach.

I'm not sure if she would be allowed to accept the position were she still a princess, given the separation of state and religion.

Recent advances on succession problem and "female emperor"

I repost this article since the original one was deleted while I tried to edit it:ohmy:

Hello everyone.:flowers:
I’m happy to find this thread and so grateful to you for being interested in the problem of succession of Japanese Emperor, especially the possibilities of female emperor.

There was several big changes in this problem in the last few days.
Let me introduce some of them.
But first of all, I personally hope the birth of Aiko Tenno(i.e.Emperor Aiko) who is the only daughter of the present Emperor Naruhito, as the first female emperor in more than two centuries, so please allow that information provided by me would be somehow biased…

search

First, it should be emphasized that polls show the Japanese public overwhelmingly supports the idea of a female emperor.

“81% back idea of Japan having female emperor: Kyodo News poll” published on Oct 28,2019

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...idea-of-japan-having-female-emperor-poll.html

A whopping 81.9 percent of respondents to a Kyodo News survey over the weekend said they are in favor of the idea of Japan having a female emperor, while 13.5 percent indicated they are opposed.
Concerns persist over the stability of Japan's imperial succession, as the 1947 Imperial House Law stipulates that only males of the patrilineage can ascend the throne.
Following the enthronement of Emperor Naruhito, 59, the family now has only three heirs -- the emperor's younger brother Crown Prince Fumihito, 53; the crown prince's son Prince Hisahito, 13; and Prince Hitachi (Masahito), 83, the uncle of the emperor.
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako have a daughter -- Princess Aiko, 17 -- and there are other females in the imperial family, but the Imperial House Law requires women to abandon their imperial status after marrying commoners.
Regarding whether to allow heirs of female lineage to ascend the throne, 70.0 percent in the poll supported the idea, while 21.9 percent were against it.

And this tendency is now more strengthened. The latest Kyodo news dated 25 April,2020 revealed that as large as 85 % of the public was pro-female emperor.
This tendency is linked to the support for Princess Aiko as the article below published by Bunshun Online on 2 May.

““Lump-sum money”,”Kojo regime”--Expectation for Aiko Tenno” is emerging again because of backlash against the marriage problem of Mako”

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/e6c7ef3ca32ebecddd877da4ccc8ef2288547876?page=2

The article above analyzes:
“It is possible that “expectation for Aiko Tenno” is emerging when Crown Prince Akishino and his family is in the face of headwinds from the public due to the marriage problem of Crown Princess Mako, his first daughter.”

Princess Aiko will reach adulthood in the end of this year, when she is expected to start participating in the public duties. Her modest and gentle personality has been reported frequently.

Thankfully, the Japanese public supports the idea of having an emperor woman. Thank you for the informations.

Thank you, JunJun. :flowers:

With you and Yukari around these threads are no doubt going to be most interesting.

- And it really is annoying, when all your work is... puf... :badpc:

Sorry, I correct the #20 article.

"in the last few days" in the third paragraph is a mistake, it should be "in the last few years".
I'm afraid if I correct the article directly, it would be deleted again...

Recent advances on succession problem and "female emperor"#2: Government Move

Thank you for your warm message, Blog Real and Muhler.:flowers: I’m so encouraged.

Now, for the second part, let me share the important government move made this year. I don't know whether this is a historical path or not.

Japanese government set up the advisory panel on securing a stable line of imperial succession and appointed its members early this year. It was proposed in 2017 to study the problem of imperial succession quickly after the enthronement of the present emperor, so PM Suga did his homework.

The panel’s first meeting was held on May 24th, as described in this article by The Mainichi Shimbun:

“Japan gov't panel kicks off discussion on imperial succession: The Mainichi Shimbun”

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210324/p2g/00m/0na/024000c

The Japanese government's advisory panel on securing a stable line of imperial succession held its first meeting on Tuesday, with discussions over the coming months set to focus on whether the country should break with tradition and allow female members of the emperor's family to ascend the throne.
The six-member panel will hear from experts in various fields and is aiming to reach a conclusion by this fall, at which point it will present its findings to parliament.
[…]
The Japanese public is increasingly in favor of allowing a woman to ascend the throne, with 85 percent of respondents in a Kyodo News poll conducted last spring supporting the move.
But conservatives in the ruling Liberal Democratic Party are reluctant to make significant changes to rules on imperial succession.
[…]

The advisory panel is made up by relatively neutral member as far as I see, and it will summarize the issues by the end of this year after interviewing experts on imperial matter such as scholars and journalist.
The problem is what experts of standpoints are invited for hearing. If they were all who stick around male emperors of paternal lineage, then the door to birth of female emperor will be eternally closed…:eek:

The advisory panel is held at random times, and hearing to experts was implemented for two times until now.
Here is an article on the first round hearing:
“Hearing about “Female Monarchy” and “An Emperor of Maternal Lineage” Implemented: Advisory Panel on Securing a Stable Line of Imperial Succession”

https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/politics/20210408-OYT1T50372/

[…]
5 experts were invited on that day including Mr.Katsumi Iwai, journalist, Mr.Hidehiko Kasahara, Professor of Keio Univ., Miss Yoshiko Sakurai, journalist,Mr. Hitoshi Nitta, Professor of Kogakukan Univ., and Mr.Shuji Yagi, Professor of Reitaku Univ.
[…]
The experts’ opinions were divided over how the throne should be succeeded and the range of the imperial family member.
On foundation of female monarchies, which is one of focus of the panel, Mr.Kasahara expressed his idea of acceptation, while negative comments were posed. Ms.Sakurai and Mr.Yagi offered a dissenting view against the idea of emperor of maternal lineage which has no precedent in the past. Ms.Sakurai said restoration of imperial status to the so-called former Imperial Family members who seceded from the Family after WWII through adoption should be a possible way to maintain the succession by males of male lineage.

Full text of the 1st hearing is here:

https://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/taii_tokurei/dai2/gijiroku.pdf

From my viewpoint, the “experts” invited on that day were all conservative or right-wing and not favor for the idea of “female emperor”.

The 2nd hearing was done on April 21th.
“Problems of Securing Stable Imperial Succession Discussed: Advisory Panel of Government” by NHK News

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20210421/k10012989361000.html

In short, on the 2nd hearing, one expert said “Women of paternal lineage should be allowed to ascend the throne while the present Imperial Household Law restricts it for men of paternal lineage.”
Another expert said “Both female emperor and emperor of maternal lineage have no problem according to the constitution. It is most simple and reasonable to recognize female emperor and emperor of maternal lineage.”
So, this time the experts invited were relatively progressive.

The 3rd panel meeting for hearing was held today on May 10th. 

"Opinions Heard from Legal Experts: Imperial Succession Panel" by NHK News

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20210510/k10013022881000.html

There, one expert was favor for the idea of female emperor of male lineage, and another expert said that both female emperor and emperor of female lineage isn't excluded by the regulation of constitution, when other two were against that idea.

"The hereditary principle regulated by the constitution has been interpreted as male line succession. Thus, easy launch to succession by female lineage is not allowed, being suspected of violation of the constitution." Mr.Akira Momochi, non-tenured professor of Kokushikan Univ., who is famous right-wing scholar said.

The next hearing is scheduled on 31st of this month where historians will be interviewed.

And so drama goes on...

In making up this article, I found that there are very small number of articles that report this topic written in English.:ohmy:
Is it a conspiracy to hide the fact that Japanese government is going to stop introducing the idea of female emperor, being afraid of criticism from overseas? It is a joke, of course.

So I feel it is my duty to share these news report here...

Last edited:
(...)
Beginning with Fujiwara Fubito (Fuhito), who placed one daughter, Fujiwara Miyako-no-Iratsume, as a "consort" of Emperor MOMMU, ca. 697, and a second one, Fujiwara Asuka, as the Empress Consort of Emperor SHOMU, her nephew. The latter's son was Imperial Princess Takano, who ascended the throne as Empress KOKEN (749-758). Fujiwara Asuka was the fist non-imperial princess of the dynasty to be elevated to Empress Consort. These unions established the precedent for Fujiwara women becoming more "favorable" as candidates of potential mothers of future emperors than were daughters of emperors themselves!

There’s one name missing there who is actually the most important one to make it happen: Agata (no) Inukai no Michiyo 県犬養 三千代 and she’s neither a Minamoto, a Taira, nor a Fujiwara (at least not by birth).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agata_no_Inukai_no_Michiyo
The Japanese one has more information, but I’m not recommending google-translating it. I tried and the result was jaw-droppingly confusing. Like how on earth 美努王 being translated as Emperor Bidatsu? (it’s read as Mino-ou). Sure 王is “king”, but in this context it means (Imperial) Prince.

There’s a good book about her: Agata no Inukai no Tachibana no Michiyo by Yoshie Akiko ; Nihon Rekishi Gakkai henshū ISBN 978-4642052559 (in Japanese, not sure has anyone published it in English yet).
I can’t find any good English source (online) about her, but here’s the summary:

Not much known about her early life and background but Agata no Inukai no Michiyo was a court lady, possibly entered the palace when she was 15 to become myōbu (as normally done in that period). She later became wife of Prince Minu (Mino), descendant of Bidatsu-tennō, and bore him three children: Katsuragi, Sai, and Murono, but then they separated (divorced) when he went to Chikushi as Dazai no sochi. Around this time, she became a wet nurse of Prince Karu (later Monmu-tennō), and highly trusted by his mother Princess Abe (later Genmei-tennō) and paternal grandmother Jitō-tennō.

She then married Fujiwara no Fuhito (his wife died) and using her influence, she later made Fuhito's first daughter Miyako (by Kamo-no-hime), a consort of Monmu-tennō. While Michiyo had daughter with Fuhito named Asukabe-hime, who then married Miyako’s and Monmu’s son (who later become Shōmu-tennō). Asukabe would be later known as Kōmyōshi. It is believed that Michiyo was behind the unrivalled prosperity associated with Monmu’s reign. One of Kōmyō’s children was Princess Takano who’d later reign twice as Kōken-tennō and Shōtoku-tennō.

In 708, at the Daijosai (a festival to celebrate the succession of an emperor) of Genmei-tennō, Michiyo was praised for serving the Imperial court since the era of the Tenmu-tennō and was given the kabane (hereditary title) of Tachibana no Sukune. Her son, Katsuragi, would later be known as Tachibana no Moroe, the first head of the Tachibana clan who’d later grow to be one of the most powerful clan in Nara and early-Heian period, rivalling the Fujiwara clan. The same year, her ex-husband, Mino, died. Fuhito died in 720.

In 721 she became a Buddhist nun for a brief period to pray for the health of Genmei-tennō when the former empress fell critically ill. Michiyo died in 733.

With the daughters of Fujiwara clan and Tachibana clan becoming consort of emperors, the two clans would gain more power in the court (and gradually the power shifted from the Imperial family to the kuge/nobles). For example in 729 when Kōmyō’s first son died not long after birth, Fuhito’s sons used it to rid their biggest rival in imperial court, Prince Nagaya (son of Prince Takechi, grandson of Tenmu-tennō, and Princess Minabe, daughter of Tenji-tennō), by (falsely) accusing him of killing the baby by curse. He was forced to commit suicide. His wife, Princess Kibi (daughter of Genmei-tennō), and his children were killed at the same time.

Trivia: The four Fujiwaras who responsible for Nagaya’s death, caught smallpox one after another and eventually all of them died in 737. In 1988, the former residence of the prince was accidentally discovered on the construction site of a Sogo department store, but they continued construction and twelve years after the store's completion, Sogo went bankrupt.

Last edited:
Not exactly about women in the imperial succession, but more about (elite) women's roles and influences in ancient Imperial Japan. (no need to login to read).

Women in the Nihon Shoki: Mates, Mothers, Mystics, Militarists, Maids, Manufacturers, Monarchs, Messengers and Managers
Paper by Gina Barnes on Durham East Asian Papers 20, published by Department of East Asian Studies, Durham University 2006

By limiting the investigation to women and their relations with men in the Nihon Shoki, this study automatically falls within the theoretical arena of historical gender studies. This field had as its original goals "to discover the range in sex roles and in sexual symbolism in different societies and periods, to find out what meaning they had and how they functioned to maintain the social order or to promote its change" (defined by Davis in 1975, cited in Scott 1988: 29). These concerns came to the fore in feminist anthropology in the early 1980s after the assumptions of universal subordination and sexual asymmetry gave way to cross-cultural studies of variability in constructing gender relations (Morgan 1989: 3-4).

Note: Nihon Shoki, also known as Nihongi (日本紀, "Japanese Chronicles"), is the second-oldest book of classical Japanese history. It was finished in 720 under the editorial supervision of Prince Toneri and with the assistance of Ō no Yasumaro dedicated to Empress Genshō.

Last edited:
Reading the last news about imperial succession, I’d like to bring up a unique role of unmarried emperor’s sisters (or aunts for the later emperors) in the past who filled the role as “temporary empress (consort)” because the said emperors were too young or hadn’t appointed his empress yet. They are known as Hisaigou no Kōgō (an empress who is not wife of an emperor) by scholars and Sonsho Kōgō by IHA.

I can’t find any English source online, but here is a good paper which mention about it.
A GLIMPSE ABOVE THE CLOUDS: THE JAPANESE COURT IN 1859 by Hamish Todd from The British Library Journal Vol. 17, No. 2 (AUTUMN 1991), pp. 198-220 (23 pages) Published By: British Library

The part about emperor’s consort is on page 7 of the file:
From the latter part of the Heian Period the title of Chūgū was also often used to designate the Empress. Originally, the Taiho Code provided for the establishment of the Chūgū-shiki or ' Office of the Middle Palace' which was to deal with the affairs of the Grand Empress Dowager, the Empress Dowager and the Empress who are known collectively as the Sangu or Sanko (Three Empresses). Gradually, the word Chūgū came to be used as a title for the Sanko and, more specifically for the Kōgō. In 923 Emperor Daigo raised Fujiwara no Onshi to the status of Kōgō but with the title of Chūgū and thereafter it came to be seen as an alternative to Kōgō. It did not, however, denote a different rank. The final stage in the process can be traced to the reign of Emperor Ichijo (980-1011, r. 986-1011). In 990 he appointed Fujiwara no Sadako as Chūgū. In 999 he created Fujiwara no Akiko Nyogo and in the following year decided to elevate her to the rank of Empress. To do this he changed Sadako's title to Kōgō and made Akiko Chūgū. In this way what had been two titles applied to the same individual came to denote two different individuals.

Between 1333 and 1624 no Kōgō or Chūgū was created. Emperor Go-Mizunoo revived the ceremony of Rikko no gi for his wife Kazuko, the daughter of the Shogun Tokugawa Hidetada, and gave her the title of Chūgū. The next occurrence of the title Kōgō comes after the Meiji Restoration when Emperor Meiji bestowed it on his wife Haruko (known posthumously as Empress Dowager Shoken) in 1869. She had previously been created Chūgū.

It may be of interest to note that, although it is regarded as the designation for the Emperor's legitimate wife, Kōgō has also been borne by eleven princesses who were not married to an Emperor - or to anyone else for that matter. In some cases they were given the title on being appointed Junbo or 'second mother' of a young Emperor but in others it must be regarded as a manifestation of respect towards an elder sister or aunt.

Those eleven princesses recorded to fill that role are:
  1. Teishi/Yasuko Naishinnō 媞子内親王, the eldest daughter of Shirakawa-tennō and Fujiwara no Kenshi, thus sister of Horikawa-tennō. She served as Empress of her own brother from 1091-1093 (he was 12 year old when he ascended the throne after Shirakawa abdicated), but she was actually his nurse and adoptive mother, their mother having been dead since he was five.
  2. Reishi Naishinnō 令子内親王, daughter of Shirakawa-tenno and Fujiwara no Kenshi. She served as Empress of her nephew, Toba-tennō, from 1108–1134 (he was 4 year old when Horikawa died).
  3. Tōshi/Muneko Naishinnō 統子内親王, daughter of Toba-tennō and Fujiwara no Tamako. She served as Empress of her nephew, Nijō-tennō, in 1158 and retired in 1159 when he married her half sister, Yoshiko.
  4. Ryōshi/Akiko Naishinnō 媞子内親王(eng wiki refers her as Princess Sukeko), daughter of Go-Shirakawa-tennō and Fujiwara no Shigeko, thus half sister of Takakura-tennō. She served as Empress of her nephews, Antoku-tennō and Go-Toba-tennō, from 1182-1187.
  5. Hanshi/Noriko Naishinnō 範子内親王, daughter of Takakura-tennō and Kogō-no-Tsubone (Fujiwara no Shigenori’s daughter). She served as Empress of her nephew, Tsuchimikado-tennō, from 1198-1206.
  6. Shōshi/Noboruko Naishinnō 昇子内親王, daughter of Go-Toba-tennō and Kujō Taeko/Ninshi. She served as Empress (was his adoptive mother/Junbo) of her half brother, Juntoku-tennō, from 1208-1209.
  7. Kuniko Naishinnō 邦子内親王, daughter of Morisada Shinnō and Jimyo-in Chinshi/Nobuko. She served as Empress of her brother, Go-Horikawa-tennō (who became emperor after Chūkyō-tennō was forced to abdicate by the shogunate), from 1222-1224.
  8. Toshiko Naishinnō 邦子内親王(eng wiki refers her as Princess Rishi), daughter of Morisada Shinnō and Jimyo-in Chinshi/Nobuko. She served as Empress of her nephew, Shijō-tennō, from 1233-1239.
  9. Gishi/Akiko Naishinnō 曦子内親王(eng wiki refers her as Princess Teruko), daughter of Tsuchimikado-tennō and Omiya-no-Tsubone. She served as Empress of her nephew, Go-Saga-tennō, from 1248-1251.
  10. Reishi Naishinnō 姈子内親王, daughter of Go-Fukakusa-tennō and Fujiwara (Saionji) Kimiko. She served as Empress to her cousin, Go-Uda-tennō, from 1285-1291.
  11. Shōshi/Masako Naishinnō 奨子内親王, daughter of Go-Uda-tennō and Itsutsuji Chūshi. She served as Empress for her half brother, Go-Nijō-tennō, from April-November 1319.

Note:
For the one with a note on eng wiki, I use Japanese wiki as reference for the kanji reading of the names (I don't know why eng wiki name different than jap wiki). Curiously, eng wiki page of Empress of Japan listed some of them as “empress (Kōgō) as mother-in-law” (which I think mean “legal mother/adoptive mother/Junbo” rather than “the mother of the spouse”) and in their individual eng wiki pages, some of them even listed as spouse/wife of the said emperor as in they married to the said emperor while they actually just temporarily filling the empress consort role.

:previous:

Thank you, it is fascinating to learn how the protocol of the royal family has evolved and how much more flexible it used to be.

Thank you too for pointing out the discrepancies and probable errors in English Wikipedia.

Indeed, the protocol seems to be very flexible in the past. It's as if every rules could be bent, changed, or adjusted depend on the needs (or whoever in power, not necessarily the emperor), including the succession (eg. demoting the consort to elevate a concubine to make her son as crown prince/next emperor replacing the consort's son, etc).

In the case of this Sonsho Kōgō, I don't think it would be necessary if it's not for insei and those power play between the courtier/kugyō (particularly kampaku/daijō-kan) aka the Fujiwara clan and the (retired) emperors. I mean, abdicate in their 20s/30s in favour of their basically toddler sons? There are several rituals which only the empress could do the part or where Junbo would be needed for the Miyanaka ritual (in fact, it was originally established from the necessity of this ritual, but in later generations it was done for the aspect of preferential treatment of Naishinnō). Looking at the list, the first one is after Shirakawa abdication and the last one is around Kenmu restoration in which the Ashikaga shogunate took the power so those insei no longer had any use.

As for the English Wikipedia, from what I can see, if there's any error, it seems like it's mostly because of direct translation. Kōgō is a title for emperor's wife so in a brief glance, technically speaking, perhaps it can be interpreted as his spouse (?:ermm:) and the "mother-in-law" could be a loose translation of junbo 准母 (the direct translation for those two characters is "associate mother"). Though the most tricky part about Japanese history is the date, most original sources use Japanese lunar calendar and I've found some English site on internet just directly translate it into Christian calendar date, then if it's been properly converted there's the question about is it the Julian or Gregorian calendar.

Back
Top Bottom