Zara Phillips Current Events 4: June 2008-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics 5.9.2008

Zara during day two of The Land Rover Burghley Horse
Trials on September 5, 2008 in Stamford, United Kingdom.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Pics 6.9.2008

The pics from today are really hard to look at
- poor Zara and poor horse...

Zara Phillips falls at the 25th jump as she competes on horse Ardfield
Magic Star during the cross country event on day three of The Land
Rover Burghley Horse Trials on September 6, 2008 in Stamford, UK.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Looks terrible. How are they?

It appears that she got right back on and completed the course. In Eventing, unlike showjumping, a fall does not automatically eliminate the competitor. Only if it is a 'rotational fall', ie flipped over.

Zara during day two of The Land Rover Burghley Horse
Trials on September 5, 2008 in Stamford, United Kingdom.

She is a beautiful lady. I did not look at the other photos since I am scared silly of horses and do not want to see anyone being hurt........Is she alright?

OMG! It hurts just looking at the pictures. Do riders learn how best to deal with a fall to minimize injury?

Eventing is a very specialized area of equestrian sports. In Show Jumping (my area) the 6" diamiter poles are on safety break-away cups and any fall of the horse or rider is cause for elimination as well as multiple stops/refusals at the jump. In eventing, the poles are telephone poles (12-18" diamiter) hard wired into place with zero margin for error. Non rotational falls (anything other than flipping over) are not cause for elimination and the competitor can remount and finish the course, as you saw with Zara at this event. Eventing is considered the most dangerous of equestrian sports and is under discussion of being eliminated from the olympics. There have been many fatalities in the last 2 years of both horses and riders.

Insurance, I presume is out of the question?

Are the parties designing and hosting the event liable for any injury or do entrants sign away any such recourse?

Pics 6.9.2008

Here's the proof that Zara really is alright:

Zara Phillips at the Land Rover Party at the Burghley Horse
Trials, Stamford, Lincolnshire, Britain - 06 Sep 2008 - and
earlier that day signing copies of the new book '60 Years
of Land Rover' at a book signing at Burghley Horse Trials.

Eventing is a very specialized area of equestrian sports. In Show Jumping (my area) the 6" diamiter poles are on safety break-away cups and any fall of the horse or rider is cause for elimination as well as multiple stops/refusals at the jump. In eventing, the poles are telephone poles (12-18" diamiter) hard wired into place with zero margin for error. Non rotational falls (anything other than flipping over) are not cause for elimination and the competitor can remount and finish the course, as you saw with Zara at this event. Eventing is considered the most dangerous of equestrian sports and is under discussion of being eliminated from the olympics. There have been many fatalities in the last 2 years of both horses and riders.

Frankly there is a risk not only in this sport, but also in others; e.g. I remember some really bad accidents in fencing, worst of all the one in the world championship final in Rome 1985, where the russian rival of Matthias Behr was killed. Has anyone thought about eliminating fencing from the olympics? No. After all there is a risk in everything. One can improve security measures, but at the end of the day a sport like this, or like eventing will never be 100% save. Everyone knows it and everyone is volunteering, noone is forced to compete.

Zara a tough nut to crack! I think she enjoys the danger in cross country and thats why she is so good at it and enjoys it. I think you have to be a little reckless to do the cross country course.

The forums on Horse and Hound have got quite a bit of chatter about this event.

Pics from IBL
Zara Phillips walks her dogs Sway (Boxer) and Corley (black Lab) through the water jump The Blenheim Horse Trials, Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire, Britain - 11 Sep 2008.

Pics 11.9.2008

Thanks for the link with these very nice pics, giov :flowers:

Here are more pics from today:

1. Zara with Tallyho Sambuca at the trop up at the Blenheim Horse
Trials, Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire, Britain - 11 Sep 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

2. Zara Phillips takes part in BGC Annual Global Charity Day at
Canary Wharf on September 11, 2008 in London, England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I've also seen a very small pic of Zara hugging her uncle Charles
at that second event, I hope we'll get a bigger pic of it here
or in Charles' thread :)

Thanks for the pictures of the dogs. However, I was surprised to see that her Boxer's tail is docked. Or do you say arrested? Well, I mean shortened by amputation :eek:. In Germany it is forbidden to do so, at least if you do not have medical reasons, e.g. an accident of the dog or so. How about England? Is ist normal there to shorten tails of Boxers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics 12.09.2008

Avicenna, I'm only sure about Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland,
the Scandinavian countries and France, in these countries "complete"
dogs (hanging ears and long tail) are the rule, but I'm not sure about
Great Britain.. Maybe a British member knows more :)

Zara Phillips The Blenheim Horse Trials, Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire,
Britain - 12 Sep 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Also in Italy it is forbidden to mutilate dogs' ears and tails, but it should be forbidden also in England :
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/act/docking.htm
It says" From 6 April 2007 in England, and 28 March in Wales, the mutilation of animals was banned...", so I guess that Zara's dog was born before 6 April 2007.

Zara gave an interview to This Morning programme in connection with her links with a London stockbroker company. The interview took place in 11th Sept at the companies annual charity event to raise money in memory of over 600 people linked to their New York based office who dies in 9/11.

In the interview she said that she was missing Peter since his move to Hong Kong as the two of them are very close and whenever something is wrong she always rings him first. She also spoke that she was glad that unlike her cousins she didnt have a title which alllowed he rlive a normal life yet still be part of the Royal Family. She went on too say that she was NOT enagaged despite recent rumours and that Mike and her were happy with their current situation. Zara mentioned that Autumn had asked her after her own wedding to Peter whether when Zara got married if she would choose a big or small affair. Alot of the interview was dedicated to talking about her horseriding success and Olympic dreams and her search for a replacement for Toytown. She said that she had most likely found her 2012 horse - one she bought earlier this year from an Australian owner but it was still very earlier days in that partnership.

Also in Italy it is forbidden to mutilate dogs' ears and tails, but it should be forbidden also in England :
Defra, UK - Animal Health and Welfare - Animal Welfare - Draft Animal Welfare Bill - Circus Welfare Working Group
It says" From 6 April 2007 in England, and 28 March in Wales, the mutilation of animals was banned...", so I guess that Zara's dog was born before 6 April 2007.

Thanks, Giov and Iceflower for your immediate response. Much appreciated.

Glad to hear that England and Wales have joined the Anit-mutilation camp. A tail wagging dog looks much nicer :D

Type in TALLYHO SAMBUCCA @
Burghley direct web page (bdwp.co.uk)
and its quick-smart progression through the ranks comes up.

So pleased to read that she has maintained and expanded her Australian connections.

Apparently it was brought from an Australian.

Zara Philips arrives at the annual Retail Industry Dinner 2008 at Grosvenor House on September 24, 2008 in London, England.
http://i33.tinypic.com/nlznz8.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/2u7wy2w.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/30vgpr6.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/ztzvyw.jpg
I've also seen a very small pic of Zara hugging her uncle Charles
at that second event, I hope we'll get a bigger pic of it here
or in Charles' thread :)
I have just found that pic!
http://i33.tinypic.com/5b1bvs.jpg
Nice pic!

If Zara had her own blog, we could get all the goss and going-ons of these functions and blog-on with her.

Apparently with the end of the eventing season in sight, Zara is planning to visit her brother and sister-in-law.

It would be great if she was able to visit Sydney as well.

Pics 9.10.2008

Zara Phillips is pictured during the dressage test of 2008 Military
Boekelo Horse Match in Usselo, Netherlands, 09 October 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom