Zara Phillips Current Events 4: June 2008-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor Zara, she had did not have a good 2008 and now 2009 is starting out like this. I hope that Toytown is ok so she can defend her title.

ysbel said:
The country-country phase didn't go so well today for Zara Philips in the Badminton Horse Trials. She had to retire both of her horses from the competition: Ardfield Magic Star and Toytown.

What a pity, that's the special thing about this kind of
sport, your own effort is not the only variable... Thanks
for the update on that, ysbel!

Today, not only Mike but also her mother Anne with
husband Tim have been there - not to mention the
very special star Katie Price ;)

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **

How disappointing for Zara! I am glad to hear that Toytown wasn't hurt. It looked like a fairly bad crash. Do you know if this is the end for Toytown's participation in future races?

sgl said:
How disappointing for Zara! I am glad to hear that Toytown wasn't hurt. It looked like a fairly bad crash. Do you know if this is the end for Toytown's participation in future races?

Hi sgl, I don't think so. At least I haven't heard that Zara was planning on pulling Toytown out of future events. But then again, I would be surprised if she did pull him out since he wasn't hurt. I'd be more concerned about Ardfield Magic Star since he did pull up lame. Yeah, I know lameness in horses can just be a pulled muscle or tendon and easily overcome but it could equally be something more serious. Zara didn't like the way he was reacting in the dressage phase so there may be something up with him that we don't know about.

When you have a pair of narrow jumps in a related distance, it's two very small targets with a very small margen for error. When something goes wrong at the first element like that, it's very hard to keep the second element lined up. That's pretty much what happened with Zara. Strangely enough, I was at the Grand Prix at Old Salem earlier today and the hot favorite combination of McLain Ward (a Reigning Olympic Gold Medalist) and Goldika 779 had almost the exact same crash.

Good point, Zara. Badminton had a lot of small 2-jump combinations. At first thought the course was TOO easy compared to last year but no one was seriously hurt this year and a lot of riders had time penalties so it couldn't have been that easy.

And about the horse spooking at the photographer....There are several photographers at every horse competition of this level, whether Zara is there or not. The horses are completely used to them. So I would doubt that the horse would spook. There would be no need for him to hide in the bushes....

Very glad Toytown wasn't hurt -- that crash did look painful.

So has Zara indeed retired both of the horses from future cross-country events? I've heard reports both confirming and denying it...

Not retired in a permanent sense. Just retired from that particular competition (also referred to as VW for voluntary withdrawl).

Okay, that makes more sense, scooter -- I thought it was shocking that she would permanently retire both horses after fairly minor mishaps. Sometimes the terminology of British sport gets me a bit tangled up. :)

How is the beautiful young woman doing now ?

Very well written. Are we watching a career change or is this just a natural career progression? There's more money in horse racing than eventing that's for sure.

Hi Arncliffe. Well Zara is still doing 3 day eventing.

She rode another horse, Secret Legacy, at the HSBC World Cup Qualifier at Tattersalls but withdrew her horse from the cross-country.

So it seems she's trying out a lot of horses. The trial at Tattersalls looked tough.

Thanks for that update, skydragon. I didn't know about the fall from this horse. Looks like Zara is trying to put some show miles on some younger horses - with the predictable thrills and spills. :D

Pics 5.7.2009

Zara Phillips and boyfriend Mike during the men's final
at Wimbledon, London, England, July 5, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

:previous:
The picture of Zara and Mike together, is beautiful. They do make a wonderful couple. :)

Pics 11.7.2009

That's true, lumutqueen :)

Here are some new pics from the weekend:

Zara Phillips competes at the International Horse Trials,
Barbury Castle, Wiltshire, Britain - 11 July 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Thanks Ice! :flowers:
Do we know which horse she was on?

Last edited by a moderator:
From this web site

Burghley direct web page (bdwp.co.uk)

Zara had 3 mounts at that event. She rode Glenbuck, Make Mine Music (which is the horse in photos 2,3,and 4) and Secret Legacy which I think is the horse in photos 1 and 5 as Glenbuck, the horse of her late friend Sherelle Duke, is, I think, a brown coloured horse.

Okay, thanks! :flowers: I didn't think that was ToyTown. Is he recouping?

Toytown came back earlier in the season, but he is 17, which is very old for an event horse. Especially after two torn tendons. The pounding in the cross country is very wearing. I'm sure Zara is saving him for when she most needs him, to prevent uneccessary wear and tear on her best guy.

Toytown is of course Zara's favourite (and most famous) horse and I am familiar with Make Mine Music and Glenbuck, as well as some other horses, like Ardfield Magic Star and Tallyho Sambucca.
This is the first time I've read about Secret Legacy, however. Is it a relatively new horse or I had just missed it in earlier reports?
I remember not recognizing one of the horses she rode during this year's Gatcombe Horse Trials, although at the time I thought it was Ardfield Magic Star. It might have been Secret Legacy though.

If, in that link I gave above, one types Phillips Zara in the rider space, then Zara's form comes up and then:hyper_linked horses can be clicked for their history.

Thank you.
It appears that Zara has been riding Secret Legacy since at least 2008.

2004 was when they started out together. Zara's form/record of results needs a bit of tweaking to get her 10 year history.

So, type in Phillips Zara in that link above. Then click on the Secret Legacy that is highlighted in blue as it's hyperlinked. That will show they started in 2004.

Now, click on a blue hyperlinked Zara and voila: her 10 year record.

When you go right back to 1999 and 2000: see the 6 month gap? That was the time she spent Sydney. She looked at me once on Oxford Street Bondi Junction as I was going to work. I've watched that whole 10 year history unfold on that website. Check out Red Baron. Apparently he has been sold back to the original owners whose son is now it's rider.

Ravendale Stud

Calover (ISH) and Roelof Bril (Ned) Second in €50,500 Portimao Grand Prix - Irish Horse Board

Horse Sport Ireland

bebo.com - Profile from eventing ireland pony riders <pnyriders>

Zara had all her young horses at that Burgie show in June where that young Irishman rode so well on Red Baron. That would have been such a beautiful moment when all the old gang from the stable saw each others again. I bet there was lots of whinnies and shaking of heads and stamping of hoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom