The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Looks like Zara is in 14th place after dressage, which I believe is her weakest area. Can't wait to see how she does tomorrow!

Old 09-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Zara is on the cover of Tatler this month.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Administrator

I'll post the cover in the cover thread.

Zara Phiips competing at Burghley Horse Trials in Stamford, England, September 4, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

** Fox-Pit overcomes wet conditions to claim record sixth Burghley title **
Old 09-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Looks like Zara is in 14th place after dressage, which I believe is her weakest area. Can't wait to see how she does tomorrow!
I got back yesterday from 4 lovely days away at Burghley. It was a good break and I feel very lucky. The weather was not awfully kind - particularly during the show jumping phase [Sunday], the heavens opened and the course became very difficult at times. The 'Royal count' was high - The Princess Royal on the Sunday (she presented the prizes) and Mark Phillips and Zara were there for the whole event. .

The event was won by William Fox-Pitt on Parklane Hawk. William Fox-Pitt has won the event on 5 previous occasions and now has a sixth victory, which is a Burghley Record. There were 3 Britons and 3 New Zealanders in the top 6.

I watched Zara competing throughout the weekend in all 3 disciplines [Dressage, Cross Country and Show Jumping] on her horse High Kingdom. Zara came 10th overall, which I felt was a very respectable result, as her mount is less experienced than the recently-retired Toytown.

The big hurdle now for Zara is whether she and High Kingdom can qualify for the Olympic Eventing team for next year. If Toytown was still competing, I would have thought that Zara would have been a hot favourite to make the Olympic team, and even get a medal. [Sadly, Toytown was not sound in 2008 and 2004 and therefore missed out on the Olympics both times] But with the younger High Kingdom [the best of her current horses], I feel that she has more work on her plate.

Zara is a very hard worker and she has a lot of experience [and family experience, come to that!!] to draw on, so I am crossing my fingers. It would be so good to see Zara in the 2012 Olympic Team in Golden Jubilee Year.

If anyone has any questions, I will try to help,

Alex
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Zara is a very hard worker and she has a lot of experience [and family experience, come to that!!] to draw on, so I am crossing my fingers. It would be so good to see Zara in the 2012 Olympic Team in Golden Jubilee Year.
Ooh yes, that would be an absolute bonus.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Courtier

I think it would be great if she did too. Is it really possible with the horse so young? Does she have the time to try and really prepare her new horse in time for the Olympics?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Courtier

Zara Phillips says NO to Facebook. She says it's dangerous:

Facebook is dangerous, says Zara Phillips - Telegraph

So don't try to friend her...she has no Facebook account
Old 09-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm with Zara on the Facebook business. Plus, it takes up too much time.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Zara Phillips riding Silver Lining V Blenheim Palace International Horse Trials, Oxfordshire, September 8, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Goodness! That is one beautiful equine...
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Couldn't you just see Zara leading an army on that horse?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
I think it would be great if she did too. Is it really possible with the horse so young? Does she have the time to try and really prepare her new horse in time for the Olympics?

Meadow, in my humble opinon there is nothing extra that Zara can do for High Kingdom that she is not already doing. She appears to be working very hard with him; he is young but NOT very young - about 10 or 11 from memory. Zara has him entered in a number of forthcoming events. She is also not going to be short of the best advice either; Mark Phillips and the Princess Royal are both vastly experienced eventers. The real problem for me is that High Kingdom is a good horse but is NOT the wonderful horse that Toytown was. And so far as Olympic selection is concerned, painful as it is for me to say this, I feel that some of the other GB horsemen and women who are also in contention for Olympic Selection have better horses than Toytown.

Only my thoughts. Anything could happen. Whilst I am emphatically NOT wishing ill on others' horses, Zara was not able to compete in the last two Olympics because he was unfit. Possibly other competitors with potentially better horses might find their own mounts unable to compete. It all depends. Eventing is a real toss-up: both rider and horse have to be fit. In other sports, it is just the human competitor.

Let's hope for the best as it is Golden Jubilee Year.

Alex
Old 09-14-2011, 03:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Couldn't you just see Zara leading an army on that horse?
What an idea..

Zara Phillips at the Blenheim Palace International Horse Trials, Oxfordshire, September 9 (pics 1-3) and 10 (pics 4-6).

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **
Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh, I do love pic 6...I love her horse (can't remember his/her name).
Old 09-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Administrator

He's called Silver Lining V
Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Courtier

I love the fact that she really seems to prepare her horses and to take care of them before the competition (pic 2). She's a complete rider, living with her horses and training them herself. She doesn't consider that she is too good for that, letting other people doing it... I hope that this amazingly beautiful grey horse is going to lead her to a gold medal!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^ you're right LovelyKate. I love that about Zara too.

What is she doing to the horse in pic 2?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=julliette;1316272
What is she doing to the horse in pic 2?[/QUOTE]

I think that she's preparing her horse's tail for cross, or for dressage. Or maybe she's taking off a protection used to avoid the horse's tail to be damaged during transport, I don't know.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Goodness! That is one beautiful equine...
How funny. That is what I thought about the horse. Very "regal" looking. Not the usual run of the mill looking horse.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
^^ you're right LovelyKate. I love that about Zara too.

What is she doing to the horse in pic 2?
It appears she is bandaging her horse's tail!

It is customary to put bandages on a horse's tail and his legs to protect against injury. This is common across all equestrian disciplines - eventing, show jumping, polo etc. If you look at photos of any competitive equestrian discipline, you will probably spot some bandages in use. They should all match so far as colour is concerned, and can therefore look quite smart and contribute to the overall 'look' when turnout is important. [which it always should be, although sometimes it is specifically marked in some competitions.]

I grew up with ponies and then horses and can bandage a horse; the trick is to make sure that the bandage stays in place and does not slip or EVEN worse, fall off! It is slightly easier now than when I learnt in the Pony Club many years ago: most bandages can now be secured with Velcro.

It also takes a certain skill to bandage a tail - lots of things to avoid in that general region, from kicks from hooves to all sorts of other unpleasantnesses at the rear end!!

Hope this helps

Alex

Closed Thread

Tags
zara phillips