The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Commoner

Poor Zara, she had did not have a good 2008 and now 2009 is starting out like this. I hope that Toytown is ok so she can defend her title.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent

The courtesy of Sipa Agency.

Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall attend Badminton Horse Trials. (8/05/2009).

http://i43.tinypic.com/33m7jo7.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2cmte9u.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2aj6kr8.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/x1kqoj.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/1409f2g.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2coo7zm.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2ce403s.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2hchki0.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/nf1w5d.jpg

Old 05-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
The country-country phase didn't go so well today for Zara Philips in the Badminton Horse Trials. She had to retire both of her horses from the competition: Ardfield Magic Star and Toytown.
What a pity, that's the special thing about this kind of
sport, your own effort is not the only variable... Thanks
for the update on that, ysbel!

Today, not only Mike but also her mother Anne with
husband Tim have been there - not to mention the
very special star Katie Price

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **
Old 05-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

You're welcome iceflower. :)

Here's a clip of Zara's run with Toytown. The crash is towards the end of the clip. It looks quite scary but Toytown wasn't hurt.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

How disappointing for Zara! I am glad to hear that Toytown wasn't hurt. It looked like a fairly bad crash. Do you know if this is the end for Toytown's participation in future races?
Old 05-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl
How disappointing for Zara! I am glad to hear that Toytown wasn't hurt. It looked like a fairly bad crash. Do you know if this is the end for Toytown's participation in future races?
Hi sgl, I don't think so. At least I haven't heard that Zara was planning on pulling Toytown out of future events. But then again, I would be surprised if she did pull him out since he wasn't hurt. I'd be more concerned about Ardfield Magic Star since he did pull up lame. Yeah, I know lameness in horses can just be a pulled muscle or tendon and easily overcome but it could equally be something more serious. Zara didn't like the way he was reacting in the dressage phase so there may be something up with him that we don't know about.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

When you have a pair of narrow jumps in a related distance, it's two very small targets with a very small margen for error. When something goes wrong at the first element like that, it's very hard to keep the second element lined up. That's pretty much what happened with Zara. Strangely enough, I was at the Grand Prix at Old Salem earlier today and the hot favorite combination of McLain Ward (a Reigning Olympic Gold Medalist) and Goldika 779 had almost the exact same crash.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Good point, Zara. Badminton had a lot of small 2-jump combinations. At first thought the course was TOO easy compared to last year but no one was seriously hurt this year and a lot of riders had time penalties so it couldn't have been that easy.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

And about the horse spooking at the photographer....There are several photographers at every horse competition of this level, whether Zara is there or not. The horses are completely used to them. So I would doubt that the horse would spook. There would be no need for him to hide in the bushes....
Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Very glad Toytown wasn't hurt -- that crash did look painful.

So has Zara indeed retired both of the horses from future cross-country events? I've heard reports both confirming and denying it...

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 05-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not retired in a permanent sense. Just retired from that particular competition (also referred to as VW for voluntary withdrawl).
Old 05-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Okay, that makes more sense, scooter -- I thought it was shocking that she would permanently retire both horses after fairly minor mishaps. Sometimes the terminology of British sport gets me a bit tangled up.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 05-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Aristocracy

How is the beautiful young woman doing now ?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well Angeline, she just sent a new racehorse she trained to her maiden race and the mare won. Zara's not doing too much with Toytown and Ardfield Magic Star but she did take two of her younger horses out to a smaller competition.

I wrote a blog about it here.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/6835-z...amiliar-faces/
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-29-2009, 03:46 AM
Aristocracy

Very well written. Are we watching a career change or is this just a natural career progression? There's more money in horse racing than eventing that's for sure.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Hi Arncliffe. Well Zara is still doing 3 day eventing.

She rode another horse, Secret Legacy, at the HSBC World Cup Qualifier at Tattersalls but withdrew her horse from the cross-country.

So it seems she's trying out a lot of horses. The trial at Tattersalls looked tough.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

She's always been a royal action girl - as was her mother before her. But onlookers couldn't quite believe their eyes when Zara Phillips walked away unscathed from this dramatic fall at the weekend

Making a splash: A stunned Zara Phillips takes a royal tumble off her horse before landing unceremoniously in water | Mail Online
Old 05-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Thanks for that update, skydragon. I didn't know about the fall from this horse. Looks like Zara is trying to put some show miles on some younger horses - with the predictable thrills and spills.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Pics 5.7.2009

Zara Phillips and boyfriend Mike during the men's final
at Wimbledon, London, England, July 5, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 07-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The picture of Zara and Mike together, is beautiful. They do make a wonderful couple.

Tags
zara phillips