Zara Phillips Current Events 3: September 2007-June 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell me that Theodore O'Connor was a horse and not a rider; with a name like that it isn't obvious.:eek:

Yes, Teddy was the horse, or I should say pony as he was only 14.1. I should have clarified especially as the riders (husband/David and wife/Karen are both on the team) last name is O'Connor as well. It's the horseperson's worst nightmare for it to happen right before the games.

This evening's TV news had a story about an event that was the Australians last chance to qualify for Olympic selection. The team will be announced next month.

A local newspaper had a story recently about one of them sourced from The Horse and Hound forums that I use here.

Horse and Hound carried the above story, but it was too sad for me to follow.

Last edited:
Pics 9.6.2008

Zara Phillips at a training day for the British Olympic Eventing
Team, Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire, Britain - 09 Jun 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I don't expect the horse was too happy about it either. :flowers:
I would think so! The CHronicle of The Horse (the horse-y bible in USA) quotes the vet as saying that TOC severed the main artery for the lower limb;which is impossible to repair.

Thank you again giov, I love this quote from Zara, which rather means the Mail and it's source may have got it wrong... again! :rolleyes:
And one thing she is definitely not being distracted by is wedding plans it seems. Following weekend reports in the UK press that she had become engaged, Zara was emphatic in her dismissal of the possibility. "Listen out everyone. I'm not engaged, I'm not engaged," she repeated to everyone in earshot
:whistling:

My heart goes out to Zara - she must be devastated. What happened to her back-up horse? She had another horse in training because Toytown was getting old.

What a devastating blow to Zara and Toytown, they have worked so very hard for this.

How sad! I have been praying for Zara and Toytown, but if this is what's meant to be, let it be. Best wishes to Zara and happy healing to Toytown.

My heart goes out to Zara - she must be devastated. What happened to her back-up horse? She had another horse in training because Toytown was getting old.
As far as qualifying for major competitions here in the UK, you qualify with your horse. :flowers:

paves the way for her to marry mike now as she said she was concentrating on the Olympics well now shes not
shame though for her and Toytown they had a really good chance looks like that gold medal at an Olympics will never be now

Poor Zara and of course poor Toytown as well! Such bad luck. But unfortunately, that's the risk that comes with her sport.

I know that she love Toytown but can't she take an other horse and go for the Olympics?

I know that she love Toytown but can't she take an other horse and go for the Olympics?
She qualified with Toytown, so the option to take another gold standard horse, if she had one, is not open to her as far as I know. :flowers:

She qualified with Toytown, so the option to take another gold standard horse, if she had one, is not open to her as far as I know. :flowers:
So better is take two horses on championships and qualifield with them both? Is it possible?

Thanks Skydragon:flowers:

Talking about horses at this level (I don't know too much about this sport):
What about Pippa Fennell or any other well British equestrians horses? Can't they borrow her one of them if they still have them?

Last edited:
It's possible, but very hard to do. The horses at this level dont come along that often.

I don't know anything about equestrian sports, but is the horse considered as equal a competitor as the rider? By which I mean (as a poor comparison) the same level as if one half of a team in pairs figure skating gets injured before the Olympics, the other partner cannot just compete with another skater as his partner. Is that how it works?

My heart breaks for Zara who works so hard and is now losing a second shot at the Olympics. Poor Toytown. I wonder how bad the injury is.:ermm:

So better is take two horses on championships and qualifield with them both? Is it possible?

Talking about horses at this level (I don't know too much about this sport):
What about Pippa Fennell or any other well British equestrians horses? Can't they borrow her one of them if they still have them?

I don't know anything about equestrian sports, but is the horse considered as equal a competitor as the rider? By which I mean (as a poor comparison) the same level as if one half of a team in pairs figure skating gets injured before the Olympics, the other partner cannot just compete with another skater as his partner. Is that how it works?
Yes kimebear, you have hit the nail on the head. You qualify with the one horse, the Olympic committee base the selection on the combination of the rider and the horse.

She couldn't take another horse in Toytown's place, whether she owned it or not, because she qualified with Toytown.

It is very sad, lets hope Toytown will recover with a long rest and Zara can bring on another horse in 4 years time.:flowers:

Very pity. She was waiting and prepare for it for solong... Hope next time she would go andwill be the best.

Thanks for response.

That's too bad. In 4 years she might not want to be in the Olympics. Or she may be married and pregnant. :ohmy:

Skydragon, there has been no coverage in the US as to the nature of the injury to Toytown. Has anything been released in England? Specifically, is it a second injury to the suspensory which sidelined him last time? Also, do you know how old he is?

I'm so sorry to hear about Toytown's injury and Zara's decision to pull out. I know they had worked very hard for this opportunity.

If Toytown is actually an old horse don't you think she'd be training with two horses or for such qualification she'd train with a younger horse? I guess we have to sit tight and wait for the news of her engagement. Something tells me we did not hear the whole story yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom