The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Commoner

Mike and Zara...

I always thought Mike would be the first to fall off of his rocker...hope Zara was alright.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Nobility

Ah well, we all have our problems.... that just happens to be a real bad problem!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Commoner

Mike and Zara...

Yeah, we all have our problems. That was unfortunate, for both of them. And the floor. Imagine if you had a World Champion fall on you - damaged reputation.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I'm not too impressed. Someone could have driven him around. (I'm less tolerant of this than I used to be, since my cousin's five-year-old son was killed by a drunk driver this past January.) Seems like another case of a Paris Hilton-type not caring about the welfare of others.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Aristocracy

It seems like he fell into the trap of thinking that any sleep reduces the alcohol leave to within the limit. For this exact reason I never drive the day after I've been out after a major session (any more than a couple of glasses of wine).
Old 03-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

She is a brisk sort of girl, and a great believer in just gritting her teeth and getting on with things. But this weekend, as she prepares to compete in an eventing World Cup qualifier in France, Zara Phillips is beset by crises.

Meet Zara and Iron Mike, a very unconventional royal couple | the Daily Mail
Old 03-30-2008, 01:28 AM
Commoner

Zara Phillips

With the Beijing, China Olympics coming up and the horse, Toytown, being possibly being injured, I am thinking that Zara should be taking everything seriously from now on into the games. The drinking incident probably left her quite sober and now, afterwards, ready to gear up. I hope that Mike has expressed that he is sorry for the incident, and that things that are needing to be fixed are not always beyond disrepair. The driving and drinking problem and the drinking and drug problems of players here in the states don't often lead to multiple offenses, only the bad apples that usually don't make it far (to professionalism) have multiple incidents. Then again, Mike is a stone's throw away from being a man without the credentials that he now has...

It's unfortunate to see either of them in trouble. The turmoil over the incident won't last long and I hope that Zara finds true wisdom out of this moment in time.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Commoner

I am sure she will. She is a smart girl and she has her priorities set right. I just hope that Toytown will be better for the Olympics, it would be a huge blow if he can't go
Old 03-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Pics 29.+30.3.2008

Zara Phillips riding Ardfield Magic Star at Burnham Market
Horse Trials, Norfolk, Britain - 29 March 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Zara Phillips walks the course at the Burnham Market Horse
trials with her dogs Corley the Labrador and Sway the Boxer
- 30 Mar 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 04-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

She has already demonstrated her poise and control in the saddle.
And yesterday, Zara Phillips showed she has similar skills in the driver's seat of a lorry.
Transporting her three horses from a riding event in Norfolk, the former BBC Sports Personality of the Year appeared unfazed by the size of the enormous vehicle on the country lanes.

The Princess and the lorry: Zara Phillips keeps her cool at the wheel | the Daily Mail
Old 04-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurocks3 View Post
I am sure she will. She is a smart girl and she has her priorities set right. I just hope that Toytown will be better for the Olympics, it would be a huge blow if he can't go
From the article Toytown has a bruised foot. Of all the injuries horses get this is one of the simplest. It requires only a few weeks for it to heal, as opposed to a tendon rupture for example which could easily be 6 months off and 6 months coming back, and then we'll see. I am not familiar with how the British Team is selected. Skydragon, do you know if the selection committee can give her a bye or does she need to do qualifying trials? Clearly this pair should be on the team.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Skydragon, do you know if the selection committee can give her a bye or does she need to do qualifying trials? Clearly this pair should be on the team.
She needs to qualify on Toytown if she is to compete on Toytown. It is possible that they have already gained enough points, if not then I'm afraid as a pair they are out of the running, which would be a great pity, although Zara has one or other rides. It could be that with the intensive therapy open to Zara and Toytown, she would still have the time to gain missing points and of course get him back into competition shape.

Quote:
To qualify for the Olympics, riders and horses, as a combination, have to have achieved a "qualifying result" at a CCI****, or at a CCI*** plus a CIC***, with these results achieved between 1 January 2007 and 30 June 2008.
An FEI qualifying result is:
  • No more than 75 penalties in the dressage
  • No more than 16 jumping penalties in the show jumping
  • No more than 20 jumping penalties across country
  • No more than 36 time-penalties (48 at CCI****) across country
Old 04-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Commoner

Zara's already qualified for the Olympics games. She gained her qualification after ending 6th at the European championships in September and had already had another qualifying result at the CHIO in Aachen in July where she had been 5th. Moreover, the team manager said that Toytown's injury wasn't serious and that it won't prevent him from being selected for the Olympics games.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

As the UK team has not yet been decided and bearing in mind the selectors will be taking into account any past injuries, there is no guarantee that Zara and Toytown will be selected. Added to which, the longer he is out of action, the less likely he would be considered fit.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know when the team will be chosen? The olympics are only about 4 mths away if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully Zara and Toytown will be ready I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Nobility

I think the teams will be selected around mid-June.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Will it be hot in China for the events? Will they hold them inside or out?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Will it be hot in China for the events? Will they hold them inside or out?
The Olympics are alway outdoors for equestrian and always on grass. Certain other competitions are always indoors or always on sand footing. There were, in the last olympics, several horses that suffered career ending injuries because the turf was not sufficiently grown in roots wise. One horse called Royal Caliber who was the best show jumping stallion in the US, not only suffered a career ending injury, but because (in part) of being confined to his stall had a massive colic and died.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

The equestrian events are being held in Hong Kong.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:01 AM
Aristocracy

From those horsey sites that I monitor, I've learnt that the weather in the south of England has turned wet and shows have been cancelled and that our hero is back campaigning on the Continent.

Phillips and Funnell head for France - Eventing News - British Eventing

Closed Thread

Tags
zara phillips