The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:25 PM

Thats right. Being a Dame doesn't make you a 'noble'. Zara could be made a DCVO by the Queen without asking the PM. In reality, she could make her anything without asking the PM as Zara is a member of the Royal Family even if she hasn't got a title. The Queen is quite generous to her own family and a civil servant once said when asked why, "Well, the Queen is Fount of Honour and it's only natural that those closest to the fount get splashed most".

An MBE really goes automatically to the winner of the BBC Sports Personality of the Year as it's a big thing to win but apparantly there were lots of nominations for Zara to get something from the public.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Can someone help me out with the difference of the Honours. How does a MBE differ from a CBE? Title...rank?Are they given twice a year?

Old 12-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Nobility

Well Done Zara!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:57 PM

The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire is awarded in;

GBE (Knight Grand Cross or Dame Grand Cross)
KBE or DBE (Knight Commander or Dame Commander)
Commander (CBE)
Officer (OBE)
Member (MBE)

Those with a GBE or a KBE/DBE can call themselves Sir or Dame whereas the others just attach the post-nominals to their names. For example, Sir Norman Wisdom is a KBE whilst Penelope Keith is a CBE. The Order of the British Empire is the most junior order of chivalry in Britain. Generally, they are given (with other Honours) in the Queen's Birthday Honours List and the New Years Honours List but they can be awarded at any time. When the honour is announced, the people who have recieved them can use their post-nominals/titles but they don't get their insignia until some time later in the year when they go to Buckingham Palace to get the medal etc from the Queen or the Prince of Wales.

So really, Zara has the most junior ranking honour in the most junior ranking order.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Thanks BeatrixFan. I could never understand why some were Dames, Sir and/or Lady's.

In refrence to Zara, would it have been too much of stretch to make her a KBE/DBE. Basically...are people moved up the ranks per se with the Honours? Does that make sense?
Old 12-30-2006, 02:03 PM

Well, they've had to play this one carefully. Already, the ill-informed are claiming nepotism. Damehoods are reserved for years of service or a huge outstanding achievement. Kelly Holmes for example won quite a few gold medals etc and so she got a Damehood which is quite rare for someone of her age to get. Penelope Keith has been acting for years and is pretty much a national treasure and would be more likely to get a Damehood than Zara. I'm sure Zara's will be upgraded in years to come if she keeps winning these sorts of prizes.

Basically, yes, you do move up in the Honours system. Penelope Keith got her OBE in 1989. That was for her services to acting. Her upgrade to CBE was for services to charity. So it's not just because you've won one thing or had one hit series - it's very much a life of service in different fields.

Here's the insignia that Zara will get from her Grannie or Uncle Charles;

http://www.medals.org.uk/united-king...ages/uk553.jpg

She'll also be entitled to wear the new buttonhole badge;

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...7_badge_pa.jpg
Old 12-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Courtier

Congratulations to Zara!
Old 12-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Courtier

Congratulations to Zara!!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

There is a reasonable write up about the medals here, it gives details, history and title entitlement.

Congratulations to Zara.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks for the explanation BeatrixFan, I was starting to find it all a bit confusing. Is this the same honour that Mike Tindall received in 2003? And could anyone tell me when Zara will be receiving her MBE at Buckingham Palace? Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1972
Is this the same honour that Mike Tindall received in 2003? And could anyone tell me when Zara will be receiving her MBE at Buckingham Palace? Thanks
Yes, they now hold the same award!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Zara honour by Queen in new year list
http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebri...-phillips-rod/
Old 01-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

we will can see photos of the ceremony?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

This is great news and well deserved IMO!

Wouldn't it be something if she had received a DBE ? Than she would end up as Lady Zara after all. Hope I got it right. Oh well. Its the thought that counts.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
This is great news and well deserved IMO!

Wouldn't it be something if she had received a DBE ? Than she would end up as Lady Zara after all. Hope I got it right. Oh well. Its the thought that counts.
She will have to repeat this performance a few times to get that - it took Sir Steve Redgrave (the rower) FIVE olympic gold medals before he was knighted.

That gives you an idea of what is needed - continuous effort over many, many years - for Steve it took five olympics = 20 years at the top of his sport.

Achieving what she did in one year is fantastic but not worthy of knighthood but if she now goes on and does it again and wins a couple of Olympic gold medals etc then she would deserve it in her own right.

For those claiming nepotism they should ask themselves whether or not a similar performance by another Brit would have gained this award - the answer if yes - therefore not nepotism at all but a just reward for the hard work and talent this young lady has shown in her own right.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks Skydragon. I wasn't sure if his was a MBE or not. Now they have the same award that's kind of cute.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Aristocracy

Zara Phllips snapped out and about in North London, 11 December 2006.
http://i16.tinypic.com/4cw30pd.jpg
http://i11.tinypic.com/4dozvqa.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/2wmnewk.jpg
Old 01-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Zara Phillips 'to star in supermarket advertising campaign'
Zara Philips And Horse To Participate In Supplement Product Campaign

Zara Phillips is set to star in a supermarket advertising campaign.
The 25-year-old royal and her horse Toytown are the face of Cortaflex, a joint supplement used to treat horses and humans, and the company are in talks with retail giant Tesco to sell the product in their shops.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Commoner

Nice pictures that I have seen on these thread. I like Zara´s looking a lot, even if I do not know much about her life. She is just at the same age like me, and I think, sorry to say that, she is more beautiful than her mother. But there may be other opinions.

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)
Old 02-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Aristocracy

Zara engagement

According to the Daily Mail, Zara is engaged to Mike Tindall. They hope to marry after the Bejing Olympic games, and have children asap.

Closed Thread

Tags
zara phillips