The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Nobility

Did anyone watch the interview?

Old 06-27-2004, 11:22 PM

Got to hand it to Zara, she was certainly honest.. Contrary to what most people think, she really enjoys all the attention. She's certainly helping to give the Monarchy a more human approch, even more so than Wills and Harry.. So three cheers for Zara! The power girl still has as Britain's royal wild child..

Old 07-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Aristocracy

From Hello!

Zara Phillips swaps her horse for a buggy

1 JULY 2004

Though her equestrian Olympic dreams were recently sidelined, it's clear Zara Phillips hasn't lost her taste for sport.

The 23-year-old daughter of Princess Anne swapped her riding gear for a racing helmet on Wednesday as she took part in a motor buggy race at Windsor. The charity event was held to raise funds for a cause close to the young royal's heart, the Fortune Centre of Riding Therapy.

Down-to-earth Zara, who seems as comfortable in sporting circles as she does on the glamorous party circuit, recently spoke about the "normal upbringing" she and her brother had that helps keep her feet firmly on the ground.

"Both Peter and I have managed to have a pretty normal upbringing, it's just been really good, we have got some great friends from it," she said.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Aristocracy

Thought the interview was fantastic. Zara managed to do more for the reputation of the British Monarchy in half an hour than Prince Charles or his sons ever have.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Commoner

From Royal Rebel to Olympic Stardom?

Phillips tipped for gold

Zara Phillips has been tipped as a future Olympic champion despite missing out on the British three-day eventing team for Athens.

Phillips, who is 10th in the line to the throne, failed to secure selection after her horse Toytown was injured.

But Yogi Breisner, the team's performance director, told BBC Sport: "She's young enough to make a mark at a fair few Olympics in the future.

"And she's good enough to be a future gold medallist."

The 23-year-old has the perfect pedigree for further success in the sport.

Her mother, Princess Anne, represented Britain at the 1972 Olympics, while her father, Captain Mark Phillips, won gold in the team event four years later.

Zara Phillips is in the relative infancy of her career.

But on her debut in a four-star event at the 2003 Burghley Horse Trials she was just edged into second place by Pippa Funnell.

And Breisner added: "She's a very capable rider. Sadly this time around her horse was injured so she was immediately out of contention.

"She would certainly have been a contender for the team if that hadn't been the case. She's got the hunger you need to win."
Old 07-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Commoner

Queen's grand daughter takes the limelight

Up until now, talk of Zara Phillips has been more about her tongue piercings, a high-profile relationship to the jockey Richard Johnson and her place in magazine FHM's top-100 sexiest women list.

But if sources in the equestrian world are to be believed, things are set to change quite drastically.

Earlier this year, Princess Anne's daughter made the shortlist of 14 for Great Britain's five-rider three-day eventing team but missed out because of an injury to her horse Toytown.

The signs are she has the makings of a great rider. Last year, she finished second against the world's elite at the Burghley Horse Trials, losing out to then world number one Pippa Funnell.

Even her more famous cousins have been impressed.

In a magazine interview at the beginning of the year, she said: "The boys, my cousins Prince William and Prince Harry, said, 'Oh my God, I didn't realise you were this good'."

Phillips, 11th in line to the throne, has become the new darling of British riding, thanks to both her talent and her model good looks.

But in riding circles, the focus has solely been on her competitive efforts.

Her father Mark Phillips, who won gold with the British team at the 1976 Olympics, said: "She's got natural talent on a horse, but I think to be a successful competitor, you've got to put in a lot of hours."

With a former gold medallist for a father and a mother who represented Britain at the 1972 Games, Phillips has the perfect pedigree to make it to the top, according to British performance director Yogi Breisner.

Breisner told BBC Sport: "You could say it's in the genes that she'll do well. She's certainly young enough to make a mark at a fair few Olympics in the future. And she's good enough to be a future gold medallist.

"She's a very capable rider. She's got the hunger you need to win."

Phillips has made her name at junior level as well, winning silver at the 2002 European Young Riders Championship as well being named in Britain's world-class performance squad.

Helping her along is her horse Toytown - the two enjoy the sort of understanding envied by many of the current crop of top riders.

Phillips has made it clear it would be her dream to ride in the Olympics and she admits she has support from all areas of her family.

She told the BBC earlier this year: "My father's not at home much because he's away with the Americans, but when he is around I do ask him for tips. My mum is based here and she's around all of the time so I do get a bit of input.

"And I often call my grandmother and tell her what my horse has been up to. Although she's the Queen, she's my grandmother and we don't have a different relationship because of who she is. She knows all the horses and likes to find out what's going on."

Her potential for future success depends on her focus primarily over the next two seasons.

But one rider impressed by her achievements to date is British team-mate Pippa Funnell.

"We've never had pressure on us like Zara's had because of her background," said Funnell. "It can only make her stronger."

Old 07-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Commoner

Three cheers for Zara! Congrads!! Hope she goes for the GOLD in Bejing..
Old 07-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Nobility

I disagree that Zara is a beauty. She is very pretty but Ella and Rose Windsor are what I consider beautiful.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Aristocracy

James, you don't have much taste in woman if you think Ella and Rose Windsor are better looking than Zara!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Commoner

Agreed! Zara is so much more stunning! Let us not forget it was Zara who was voted as one People's magazienes most beatiful people, and one of the top 100 sexiest women in the world! Zara is an English rose, whose spunky personality match her smashing good looks..
Old 07-09-2004, 09:12 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks Duchie, it's not often anyone agrees with me on this thread!!!! Does anyone know if Zara is taking part in the charity flat race tomorrow? (10th July)
Old 07-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Commoner

I hope we get some great pics from today
Old 07-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know if Zara took part in Sport Relief? I saw William and Harry there.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Commoner

Saw some great pics of Zara and her boyfriend Mike and some concert. She was wearing a gorgeous pink and white Marlyin Monroe type gown. Can anyone post pics? Thanks!
Old 07-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Aristocracy

If no ones posts by Thursday, I will. Unfortunatly I am not on my own computer but as soon as I am I'll have a go!!!! Until then go to Getty Images and you'll be able to get them yourself.
Anyway, can you believe Zara is dating Mike Tindall? I wish she'd get back together with Richard!!!
Old 07-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Aristocracy

A bit old but still I dicided to post it :P

From Hello!
Zara enjoys La Dolce Vita with rugby star
13 JULY 2004

Pop diva Beyonce was centre stage at the £1500-a-ticket La Dolce Vita charity bash on Sunday, but it was the Queen's granddaughter Zara Phillips who was arguably the star of the show.

The 23-year-old royal, more often seen in riding gear than formal gowns, showed off her curves in a plunge-necked pink and white Marilyn Monroe-style gown. And Zara grabbed even more attention with the company she was keeping, staying at the side of her new rumoured new suitor, England rugby star Mike Tindall.

But the day wasn't all about dressing up for Princess Anne's daughter, who bumped into former boyfriend, jockey Richard Johnson, as they played bicycle polo at a fundraising match in Wiltshire. And later, the sporty young beauty weathered a summer shower alongside her cousin, Prince William, at the two shared an umbrella at the same event.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Commoner

It's good to see Zara and Richard can still be best mates, they do look so adorable together...
Old 07-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Nobility

I have just returned from holiday so I am reading this thread for the first time in a while. I didn't realise that I wasn't allowed to hold an opinion on Zara's looks if it deviated from that of some people on this thread. I don't care what she was voted in a magazine poll as magazines don't dictate my opinions. I view Ella Windsor as tall with a gorgeous figure whereas Zara appears dumpy with a fat nose and the saggiest breasts I have ever seen on a girl in her twenties.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Commoner

Some great pics of Zara at the races today! Hello magaziene has an article about it..
Old 07-30-2004, 11:21 PM
Commoner

BREAKING NEWS

Zara Phillips, the Queen's granddaughter, was knocked unconscious when she fell from her horse today.

She was taken to hospital as a precaution and later driven home by her mother, the Princess Royal.

Ms Phillips, 23, was competing in horse trials at Lulworth, Dorset, when the accident happened.

The horse-mad Royal, who is 11th in line to the throne, narrowly missed selection for the British equestrian team at next month's Athens Olympics.

Buckingham Palace said: "Following a fall from her horse during a cross-country event in Dorset today, Zara Phillips was taken to Dorchester Hospital as a precautionary measure.

"It was not an emergency.
"She has been given the all-clear and discharged. Her mother collected Zara and took her home."

Spectators saw Ms Phillips fall from her horse, Ardfield Magic Star, at the fourth fence.

She was knocked out and taken to hospital by car where, it is understood, an X-ray revealed no broken bones.

The horse was unharmed.

Closed Thread

Tags
zara phillips