The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Zara Phillips copes with muddy conditions before competing Tsunami II in the cross-country competition and riding Red Baron in an Advanced Intermediate Dressage competition at the British Eventing Gatcombe Horse Trials. Getty Images

Old 03-27-2006, 07:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Article from HELLO
..............Accompanied by a trio of tail-waggers, the rugby ace looked on proudly as Princess Anne's daughter put her horse Toytown through his paces at the event on her mother's Gloucestershire estate..................
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty.../zaraphillips/

Photos from HELLO
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Majesty

just a little curiosity of the newly released movie, v for venedette, staring natalie portman and zara.

"The graphic novel V for Vendetta contains a reference to "Queen Zara"; it is implied that following a nuclear war in the 1980s she was the most senior survivor in the order of succession"

taken from wikipedia
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Commoner

V for Vendetta

I did not hear mention of the "Queen Zara", nor did I remember seeing anyone that was like a ruler except the John Silber-ish (former candidate for governor of MA) looking John Hurt. Quite a movie though, sort of a glimpse of an Orwellian nightmare. If Zara were Queen she would make a great one, although order-of-succession right now gives the edge to Charles, then possibly William. I don't consider the fact that Zara may or may not be Queen, you know? She seems to be very happy where she is right now. Quite an athlete and an all-around good person, Zara embodies that which we strive to be in life. Tindall is also one of the good guys, apparently, and because he is such a big dude and successful in rugby, he is a good guide to being successful athletically. He's one of the rougher looking guys, but I do suppose that they look good as a pair.:)
Old 04-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Gentry

Ok, I realize this may be the stupidest question ever, but I recently got into a small argument with my boyfriend about how to pronounce the name "Zara". I've always pronounced it as rhyming with Mara, but he believes it rhymes with Sarah because his cousin's name is Zara and she pronounces it that way. I guess you could pronounce it both ways, but how does Zara Philips actually pronounce it?
Old 04-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Nobility

GreenLily - the way you pronounce it (rhyming with Mara) is the correct way.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Gentry

Thanks Nichola!
Old 04-17-2006, 05:53 AM
Heir Apparent

March 14, 2006
Zara Phillips , daughter of the Princess Royal , rides Toy Town in the Dressage at the Easco Eventing World Cup qualifers at Burnham Market International Horse Trials at Burnham Market , Norfolk.

photos by Chris Radburn for DPA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	017801_4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	238659   Click image for larger version

Name:	018401_4.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	238660   Click image for larger version

Name:	018701_4.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	238661  
Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Nobility

So how is Zara doing on the equistrian circuit? Is she winning?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Commoner

Zara (pronunciation)

I was always wondering about the pronunciation and semantically why it is prounounced that way! It must be from the Greek pronunciation and that is why the name remains Zayr-a to many people. If I could make an educated guess, and I must since I don't believe I have any books with the pronunication, the Greeks must pronounce it Zawr-a. Much like the pronuciation of Italians or Spaniards. As these languages are derivative of each other, and knowing that Charles wanted a unique name for Zara, I must believe that he would want the correct pronunciation. As I am an American, I had her pegged in my mind as Zayr-a, the correct pronunciation for Dictionary-English speaking peoples. However, the pronunciation resides in a unique idea by Charles and furthermore the idea itself qualifies it to be a great nomenclature, one of the rarest of names. I will be honest, I had hopes that, and since the fact remains that we don't hear her name in the states, her name would be pronounced Zayr-a, because of the great biblical figure Abraham, and his estranged wife (yet still great), Sara of B.C.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:46 AM
Nobility

Is she aiming for the next Olympics? I thought I read that somewhere.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Nice girl...I feel old today. I can't avoid to remember when she was just a little girl. :(

Vanesa.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:50 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Snowbear
... and knowing that Charles wanted a unique name for Zara, I must believe that he would want the correct pronunciation... the pronunciation resides in a unique idea by Charles
Welcome to the Forums Capt. Snowbear.
Zara is the daughter of Princess Anne and Capt Mark Phillips; I think it unlikely that Charles had any influence over her name or its pronunciation.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Nobility

Actually Charles suggested the name Zara to Anne because thats the name he would have given his daughter if he had one. He said he suggested it because its greek and unique.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Commoner

Pronunciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Welcome to the Forums Capt. Snowbear.
Zara is the daughter of Princess Anne and Capt Mark Phillips; I think it unlikely that Charles had any influence over her name or its pronunciation.
I think it likely. To be contrary, this name comes from Ancient Greek and the pronunciation is Greek Orthodox. So, in this case it is true. If one were to pronounce it Zayr-a, then one would be pronounicing it in the dictionary pronunciation.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Zara, Zahra & Aga Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydura0717
Actually Charles suggested the name Zara to Anne because thats the name he would have given his daughter if he had one. He said he suggested it because its greek and unique.
This may well be true, but Zara was born in May 1981, and Charles married Diana in July 1981.
Thus at the time of Zara's birth there was a possibility Charles and his future wife may have a daughter who could be named Zara, if that was his intention.
Maybe Charles got the idea from Prince Karim, the Aga Khan IV, whose only daughter, born in 1970, is named Princess Zahra.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydura0717
I read that he suggested it when they had a hard time coming up with a name. I believe he liked the meaning which is "glorious dawn." I think it was also somewhat in honor of Mark's mother, Sarah. Son, Peter, is named after Mark's father.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Aristocracy

Mark's mothers name is Anne which happens to be one of Zara's middle names. His sisters name is Sarah. It can be all confusing. I too read in several books and Princess Anne herself has been quoted saying it was her brother Charles that made the suggestion to both her and Mark about the name Zara. And they both loved the name. I think it does suit her very well.:)
Old 04-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Nobility

WEll I remeber a quote that Princess Anne said and she said that it was Charles who suggested it.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
This may well be true, but Zara was born in May 1981, and Charles married Diana in July 1981.
Thus at the time of Zara's birth there was a possibility Charles and his future wife may have a daughter who could be named Zara, if that was his intention.
Maybe Charles got the idea from Prince Karim, the Aga Khan IV, whose only daughter, born in 1970, is named Princess Zahra.
I'm curious about Prince Karim. You have mentioned him...and his title...the Aga Khan IV. If they don't mind <off topic> could you elaborate on the "Aga Khan IV"? I am familliar with Shieks, some Warlords, and past titles of leaders in the Muslim world, and of course today's leaders, but never had much reading over their Princes, especially the Aga Khan descendancy. It would be fine if I "Googled it" but I find these forums useful sometimes. It is likely that Charles had read the name in some greek literary form, or, as you mentioned - the Prince Karim's daughter's name, and possibly he derived Ms. Phillips name from both ideas - two rocks rolling around in his head for what probably amounts to decades...

Closed Thread

Tags
zara phillips