York Family News and Pictures 1: September 2003-September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the closeness Sarah displays with her children, both of whom seem to be very secure with their parents. That relationship is laudable.

That said, what an absolutely wretched dress for Sarah. That pink slash is absolutely bizarre and is totally unflattering. Sarah's in very good shape, she's keeping the weight off and has good legs, but outfits like this do NOTHING for her. She looked fabulous at the Children in Crisis art event from a month or two ago, so she has it in her, but not in a junk dress like that.

Shoot the designer! ;)

Really, no one would look good in that dress. Not even Kate. Maybe Diana could pull it off, but only because she could pull off just about anything.

Shoot the designer! ;)

Really, no one would look good in that dress. Not even Kate. Maybe Diana could pull it off, but only because she could pull off just about anything.

I suspect that Diana and Catherine would each have declined to wear the thing. Just one of many 'what was she thinking' moments I have w/ Sarah.

In regards to Eugenie and the hockey stick article, there's a video in the article of her going to dinner w/ some men, one of whom is very tall - is that her BF w/ her? They're in New York, I think, based on the protection officer's accent.

Shoot the designer! ;)

Why shoot the designer? Why not criticise the 50-something fashion victim buying a dress designed for somebody 30 years younger than her.

Why shoot the designer? Why not criticise the 50-something fashion victim buying a dress designed for somebody 30 years younger than her.

Because that dress wouldn't look good on ANYONE

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Beatrice is 26 today. Don't see her becoming a Royal Bride for a few years though.

That dress doesn't fit properly and I think it's too busy it's a weird pattern I also think it's a little short for her.

It's the Queen's house and not Philip's.
I think as Philip is "head of the family" he gets to say who stays and who goes - call it old fashioned, but it seems to have worked in their marriage;)

The media have been running that same story for a very long time. The very thought of Sarah having to leave before Philip arrives make me feel very bad for Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie. Also, The Queen likes Sarah's company.

Prince Philip is just too old to be holding on to the past in this way, if it's true.

Last edited:
The Queen is fond of all her daughters in law, and she was fond of Diana too.

Sarah Ferguson Interview on Divorce - Sarah Ferguson Princess Diana Interview - Harper's BAZAAR Magazine

Take the 1996 divorce deal she struck with her formidable former mother-in-law, Queen Elizabeth, whom “I still see, love, and admire. “The queen and I always got on well, still do; I uphold everything Her Majesty represents, has given up her life for,” without, she believes, regrets. “It’s her duty. For her country, she’s selfless to the grave.” As for the queen’s mothering skills, she rallies an immediate, ringing defense: “I believe Her Majesty’s done the best job she can. For me, she’s been extraordinary.”

Sarah Ferguson: The Real Story - Harper's BAZAAR Magazine

As always, the duchess has nothing but glowing things to say about her former mother-in-law. The queen, Ferguson says, "is the most wonderful, forgiving, nonjudgmental person I know."

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHw93dfyJo7EYgc98piYUnyavSe3g

And I think one of the greatest people I've learnt lessons from is the Queen. The Queen is the most extraordinary person I've ever met in my life. And she is full of forgiveness and I think when I got divorced I chose friendship with the Queen and I'd like to say that she has remained steadfast to that."

Last edited:
Who knows if this is true ( it is the DM after all) but I wouldn't blame Philip for not wanting her there.

A lot of reports have been running this story about Philip and his dislike for Sarah since 1992. If it wasn't true surely someone, Sarah herself, for instance would have corrected it.

There was also a report that Beatrice had asked her grandfather to allow her mother to join the family holiday at Balmoral and on a summer cruise, and he had categorically refused. That was in 2012 I think.

Then last year Sarah turned up for the first weekend and now again this year - which suggests a compromise - Sarah visits with her girls and ex-husband while Philip stays away and then when he is due she leaves.

It's the Queen's house and not Philip's.

In most marriages that I know the house is regarded as joint property - even when inherited by one partner. It is why marriage is called a 'partnership'. Even though The Queen inherited Balmoral it has also been Philip's Scottish home since 1952.

Then last year Sarah turned up for the first weekend and now again this year - which suggests a compromise - Sarah visits with her girls and ex-husband while Philip stays away and then when he is due she leaves.

Last year, if I remember right, Prince Philip didn't arrive at Balmoral right away because he was recovering from surgery...giving Sarah a chance to visit the Queen at the main castle without him there. Maybe, once the precedent was set, the Queen felt she couldn't say no, so they arrived at this compromise.

I hope that they can arrive at some sort of workable compromise in other situations where Prince Philip is involved, too.

I doubt that Philip will compromise. His dislike of Sarah is well known and I simply don't see him changing his views now.

Yes - last year Philip didn't turn up until a week or so after The Queen.

Of course Beatrice's birthday is probably also a reason for the compromise so that Beatrice is able to have a birthday dinner with her parents and grandmother - like normal people are able to do but her grandfather won't budge.

All things considered, I think it's a pretty fair compromise, and I don't expect Philip to yield any further. He's staying away for a while to enable Beatrice to spend some birthday time with her parents and grandmother and I'm sure it will be an enjoyable time for those who are present. It's a shame he hasn't been able to get on top of his hostility towards Sarah, but he's an opinionated man of his time and he isn't going to change now. Andrew, Sarah, and the girls might not like it but they're used to it. At least he's consistent!

I think Prince Phillip has every right to not like Sarah and not want her around. It's probably better for Sarah too I doubt he would be very nice to her. The girls are grown up they don't need their mother around they see a lot of her so missing out on a week or two holidays with them isn't going to hurt anyone. I do wish they would stop bringing up the marriage thing it seems pretty clear it wouldn't happen with Prince Phillip around or not. Prince Andrew dates other women he and Sarah may live together but it's not as a couple. And yes it is very weird that a women into her fifties isn't living in her own home and instead lives and sponges of her ex husband. Not exactly someone to be respected.

I've read it over and over and over again where when it comes to The Queen and the DoE, its The Queen that is monarch over the UK and her Commonwealth nations but it is Philip that rules and reigns over his household.

Reminds me of a story I heard somewhere (this is not verbatim and if memory serves me well, it was Margaret Rhodes' tale) where while at Balmoral, the Queen, DoE and the teller of the tale were riding about on the estate with the Queen giving some back seat driving advice. Philip promptly told her to be quiet or she'd be walking. When asked why she didn't insist because after all, she IS Queen, HM replied "I didn't want to walk".

As far as the Sarah/Philip thing goes, even if Philip did "get over" his animosity towards Sarah and they all were at the Big House at the same time, there would still be an air of awkwardness that would put a pall over the visit. I think Sarah is the kind of person that would take that into consideration and out of respect for Philip, would just clear out of Balmoral by choice as to not upset the apple cart. Say whatever negative things about her that may be well earned but her empathy for other people is one of her very positive assets.

The Duke of York has told how he feared he would not come home from the Falklands after being shot at on active service, saying he had been “foolish” to think he was once “invincible”.
The Duke, who served in the Royal Navy for 22 years, said he had a “couple” of moments of doubt while serving in the Falklands, while on dangerous mission to identify a ship at night.
Saying the experience had made him understand the “frailty of life”, he said he had been “very lucky” to survive the conflict, adding: “It’s not particularly nice being shot at and I can attest to that.”

Prince Andrew: 'It’s not particularly nice being shot at' - Telegraph

Here's another link with a little more of the interview video:http://www.channel5.com/shows/5-new...e-andrew-im-still-friends-with-ex-wife-fergie

I thought that Andrew looked a little sad or perhaps uncomfortable in this interview, like he is proud of his family and some of the things he's done in his life (the Falklands and his iDEA award), but he also knows that the media doesn't always portray him in a flattering light. And, to be fair, he has had some scandals and so has Sarah.

I also have the impression that Andrew is pretty attached to Sarah as the mother of his children and thinks highly of her, but he knows she doesn't enhance his public image. So he is sometimes caught in a hard place, of seemingly wanting to speak well of her, yet publicly distancing himself from her.

Sort of like he lives in two worlds, a family he's proud of but that the media doesn't like; and a public role he's trying to create for himself. Does anyone know the reason for the video? I assume it was to boost his public profile.

Last edited:
Here's another link with a little more of the interview video:Prince Andrew: I'm still friends with ex wife Fergie | 5 News | Channel 5

I thought that Andrew looked a little sad or perhaps uncomfortable in this interview, like he is proud of his family and some of the things he's done in his life (the Falklands and his iDEA award), but he also knows that the media doesn't always portray him in a flattering light. And, to be fair, he has had some scandals and so has Sarah.

I also have the impression that Andrew is pretty attached to Sarah as the mother of his children and thinks highly of her, but he knows she doesn't enhance his public image. So he is sometimes caught in a hard place, of seemingly wanting to speak well of her, yet publicly distancing himself from her.

Sort of like he lives in two worlds, a family he's proud of but that the media doesn't like; and a public role he's trying to create for himself. Does anyone know the reason for the video? I assume it was to boost his public profile.

He hasn't distance himself from Sarah. Sometimes they even attend events together, private trips, and sometimes they are seen together on official trips together. I think Andrew wants people to understand that's he's happy and proud of his family. Not everyone understands his relationship with Sarah and finds himself, very happily, talking about his family life. He and Sarah like talking about each other and their family. They are very proud in what they've been able to achieve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom