The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

If any plans for a remarriage are put on hold until that event occurs, it's just a shame for the waste of time and that they must defer to the DOE's attitude. But I suppose their mindset is that they've waited this long, so they can wait a bit longer.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Majesty

The article says that Andrew would not want to risk "upsetting" the DoE in his fragile state, "nor would he be allowed to".

There have been loud whispers that Philip wasn't exactly a model of fidelity to his marriage vows. Maybe he sees something of himself in his former daughter-in-law.

What a mess.

BTW...I had no idea that Andrew rented a chalet in Verbier last year, and that he and Sarah spent virtually the entire winter there together....!!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Aristocracy

The Mirror's article mentions that Buckingham Palace declined to comment. Again, a decline, not a denial. Two very different things.

I hope Fergie is polishing that ruby engagement ring of hers and getting fitted for a pink champagne Catherine Walker wedding suit. Andrew's got the easy job, that naval uniform of his is always in pristine shape I'm sure.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Majesty

Gosh, does she still have her beautiful ruby ring? I'd just assumed that she sold it, along with her tiara, years ago.

The news that they(Andrew and Sarah) spent last winter together shacked up in Switzerland is more convincing to me that something is indeed going on than Sarah going to Balmoral!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I wouldn't be surprised if Sarah still had that ruby e-ring and hopefully she didn't sell it; I'd think it would be one of the most sentimental things she'd want as a keepsake of her marriage. Even though the marriage failed, the feelings and emotions obviously haven't.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Gosh, does she still have her beautiful ruby ring? I'd just assumed that she sold it, along with her tiara, years ago.

The news that they(Andrew and Sarah) spent last winter together shacked up in Switzerland is more convincing to me that something is indeed going on than Sarah going to Balmoral!
Oh no, Sarah has all of her jewellery still, she hasn't worn the ring in maybe 9 years or so, but she still wears all of her other Andrew rings, including his signet ring on her pinkie finger. She has worn the tiara more recently at an Elton John White Tie and Tiara Ball. She wore her wedding diamond parure (a gift from HM and the DoE) a year or two ago in Cannes.

The Richard Kay article is interesting because as much as it has an air of denial to it, it also provides more information about Andrew and Sarah that suggests where there's smoke there's fire. That is the first time I'd heard about him commuting to and from Verbier for his engagements while he set up a holiday house with Sarah. And the comments about how close they were at Beatrice's birthday party also provide fuel.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The article says that Andrew would not want to risk "upsetting" the DoE in his fragile state, "nor would he be allowed to".

There have been loud whispers that Philip wasn't exactly a model of fidelity to his marriage vows. Maybe he sees something of himself in his former daughter-in-law.
Maybe he saw the toll that all those scandals were taking on HM and that was something he was surely seeing up close. He wasn't a model of fidelity, but he never pulled half the stuff Sarah did. There are limits and frankly I think it's kind of disgusting that they are probably hoping Philip will drop so they can remarry.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Prince Philip's bitterness is astonishing. One would think that at age 92, health failing and in the home stretch of his life's journey, he would not still be nursing old grudges and hates. Imagine how difficult his animosity towards their mother makes things for Beatrice and Eugenie.

After reading that article, I definitely do not think there will be a re-marriage while the DoE is still alive.
This is very sad to read. One would think that at the end of his life, Philip would want to have his children close, and be in a good relationship with them. The assumption that Andrew may have to wait for his father to pass on in order to find some sort of happiness is disheartening. I hate to say it, but if this is indeed true, then it's rather selfish of the Duke of Edinburgh to be angry at something that happened so long ago. Life's too short to waste on things that are in the past.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post

Maybe he saw the toll that all those scandals were taking on HM and that was something he was surely seeing up close. He wasn't a model of fidelity, but he never pulled half the stuff Sarah did. There are limits and frankly I think it's kind of disgusting that they are probably hoping Philip will drop so they can remarry.
I think it's disgusting that you're inferring that about them from a few rumors. You have no idea how Andrew feels about his father, and your inference that Andrew is hoping for his father's death is both crass and baseless.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
There is no indication at all that Andrew and Sarah are doing any such thing. We don't even know if this latest rumor is true.

For goodness sake, these two already have so much stuff that they are legitimately accused of, can we not further scapegoat them by promoting the idea that they are sitting around hoping Andrew's father dies soon??

Old 08-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Courtier

Sarah did get some unfair coverage but she never seemed to help herself either and she handed them stories on platters at times. Maybe the DofE knows more about Sarah and her goings on then we do. He doesn't like her it hasn't been a secret, I see Andrew holding off as a sign of respect for his father. I don't see Sarah being allowed back in the fold anytime soon. Nothing has changed the men in suits are still there and the Royal Duties are still there. In fact Andrew does more duties now then he did when they were married. Does Sarah really want to go back and have her life revolve around duty and not just be able to go on holiday whenever she wants? I think if they did remarry Sarah would be kept on a very short leash especially financially. It's one thing to have her for a weekend for her daughters birthday it's another to have her back in the family. Maybe they will just stay living together Sarah get's everything she wants without the Royal Duties and constant attention and Andrew get's what he wants. Can she be rehabilitated? The public aren't going to forget the affairs and the scandals no matter how romantic they try to make this "lovestory". The press would never allow it.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 AM
Majesty

Andrew does more duties now because he is free to do so. When he and Sarah were married he was on full duty in the Royal Navy, away from her for more than two-thirds of their life together.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:29 AM
Serene Highness

Fergie is barely recovered from trying to sell Andrew and I don't think she's really going to ever get it together. Letting her back in will be more work for the courtiers. They shouldn't have to keep a grown woman on a financial leash and she would likely have to do duties whether she wants or not and Andrew will have to kind of keep an eye on her. She's never learned from her problems with debt and she had her chances and threw it away with both hands.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Aristocracy

I think any re-marrige will not happen while the Queen and Prince Phillip are still alive.

There is just too much animosity. Just when you think it has died down, Sarah is taped selling her access to Andrew or Andrew's close friendship with a criminal becomes known.

I don't think QEII will ever give her approval, for the reasons above which would mean Andrew would forfeit the civil lists & mummy's purse.... something he can not afford to do.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Majesty

I couldn't see what was supposed to be so awful about it, either. Perhaps the press needed a "bad royal" for their ongoing soap-opera approach and Sarah was their appointed one. The tour lasted 10 days, September 28th to October 7th. Hardly the amount of time that the Waleses were in the area with William in 1983.

Quote:
Mermaid1962, the furor that was made over Sarah's "abandonment" of her baby made me mental. I was so disgusted and angry, it was just so stupid and hypocritical and unfair.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

There is NO Civil List anymore and Andrew's money from it was being repaid by The Queen since 1992. Do you really think that The Queen is so nasty that she would stop supporting one of her children because she didn't approve of his/her choice in spouse? I don't.

The Queen also knows that in a couple of years her permission won't be needed - Eugenie doesn't need permission now that she is 7th in line and when William and Kate have another child Beatrice won't either. If they have 3 children then Andrew won't need permission.

The Queen though may also be taking the view that it would be better for them to remarry on her watch than to leave that situation for Charles' watch -- she has the popularity to bring it off but Charles doesn't have that popularity and will have the Camilla situation so have Andrew and Sarah remarried before Charles comes to the throne makes sense.

There is also an argument that Andrew and Sarah don't need The Queen's permission as she gave them permission in 1986 - although others argue that as they divorced that earlier permission doesn't apply anymore but as the RMA doesn't cover a divorced couple wishing to remarry it would be an interesting legal argument .
Old 08-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I couldn't see what was supposed to be so awful about it, either. Perhaps the press needed a "bad royal" for their ongoing soap-opera approach and Sarah was their appointed one. The tour lasted 10 days, September 28th to October 7th. Hardly the amount of time that the Waleses were in the area with William in 1983.
Exactly. What angered me was that every hausfrau on every continent was weighing in about what a "terrible mum" Sarah was for doing it. It was as if she had offered her child up on the black market.

And yes, Beatrice was scarred for life by having her mom absent ten days when she was a newborn. It's very obvious, isn't it?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles got to marry camilla and still be heir. Why should Andrew not reunite with Sarah? Certainly the Church would endorse it.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Charles got to marry camilla and still be heir. Why should Andrew not reunite with Sarah? Certainly the Church would endorse it.
I agree, the whole thought the Monarchy would crumble with Charles marrying Camilla but everything turned out alight so far. The family wasn't too keen on Camilla but they seemed to have warmed to her.

I think (IF) Andrew & Sarah want to get re-married, I think no one should get in their way and allow them to get married again. I doubt it would be a big wedding anyway. Probably a civil ceremony and blessing. Somewhere along the lines of Charles & Camilla's wedding.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree, the whole thought the Monarchy would crumble with Charles marrying Camilla but everything turned out alight so far. The family wasn't too keen on Camilla but they seemed to have warmed to her.
I would like Andrew and Sarah to remarry, but I can see why the royal family would be cautious about it. Prince Philip is arguably too hard on Sarah, but I doubt even the most forgiving royalist wants to see a British monarchy where "anything goes", either (a la Monaco).

If Andrew and Sarah do remarry, I hope they can convince people "in charge" - the Queen, the Church - that they've changed and that the second marriage would be different from the first disastrous one.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of york, old photos, pictures, prince andrew, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, sarah duchess of york