York Family News and Pictures 1: September 2003-September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queens of the road: Princess Beatrice splashes out on fashionable luxury Range Rovers

It is not often you would use the names Victoria Beckham and Princess Beatrice in one sentence. But the young royal, fresh from that hat fashion faux pas, has been catapulted into the fashionable world of the Beckhams, all by splashing out on huge luxury Evoques, that's Range Rovers to you and me.
The sleek black cars are believed to be worth £40,000 each with an AA spokesman adding they probably cost tens of thousands to insure.

Considered one of the most fashionable cars on the market, the range even has interiors designed by Victoria Beckham. A friend of the princesses told the Sunday Express: 'The Princesses have had the cars for a *couple of months. They are all-singing, all-dancing models with all the mod cons.

Myself1995 said:

Wow they've got new cars. Prince Charles has about 20, the majority Range Rovers. If you believe everything the DM writes, you'll learn to hate Beatrice and Eugenie without thinking. Also Eugenie and Beatrice didn't write the article, getting a new car, which they've had for a few months and the story has only just come out, isn't exactly something to punish them for. William and Catherine also drive Audi's because they have a relationship with the company.

Last edited:
William and Catherine also drive Audi's because they have a relationship with the company.

Clarence House purchase vehicles from Audi. They obviously get a pretty keen deal given that they likely buy multiple vehicles at a time; much the same way that my employer does when they buy company cars.

Clarence House purchase vehicles from Audi. They obviously get a pretty keen deal given that they likely buy multiple vehicles at a time; much the same way that my employer does when they buy company cars.

So what is the point that is being made?

muriel said:
So what is the point that is being made?

This is off the topic of the thread now; but if Beatrice and Eugenie are criticised for getting new cars why isn't every royal? They're all allowed new cars, it's the DM making an issue out of nothing and 'haters' jumping at the opportunity to slate the girls for no reason.

This is off the topic of the thread now; but if Beatrice and Eugenie are criticised for getting new cars why isn't every royal? They're all allowed new cars, it's the DM making an issue out of nothing and 'haters' jumping at the opportunity to slate the girls for no reason.

It may be because the other royals actually do work.
Prince Charles is patron of numerous organisations and patronages, not to mention The Prince's Trust - an immensely successful charity. The Duchess of Cornwall is similarly engaged with charities. Prince William and Harry are in the Armed Forces. The Duchess of Cambridge has been associated with only a couple of charities so far - and she is certainly criticised for that. Prince Andrew held a job until recently, however much he was criticised for it. The Earl and Countess of Wessex are full-time working royals who do a great job. Princess Anne is one of the hardest-working royals. Peter and Zara are not members of the Royal House and support themselves.

Beatrice and Eugenie don't really do anything, do they? They are not working royals, Beatrice isn't even a student anymore. So, the question is: why should these two young ladies who, let's face it, haven't done anything constructive in their lives, enjoy a life of luxury? Especially in times when most households survive on bare minimum. Things like don't exactly contribute to the royal family's popularity.

Mind you, I have nothing against Beatrice and Eugenie; in fact, I do hate the way they are constantly criticised by the media, often with no reason.

Last edited:
Artemisia said:
Beatrice and Eugenie don't really do anything, do they? They are not working royals, Beatrice isn't even a student anymore. So, the question is: why should these two young ladies who, let's face it, haven't done anything constructive in their lives, enjoy a life of luxury? Especially in times when most households survive on bare minimum. Things like don't exactly contribute to the royal family's popularity.

They haven't done anything constructive in their life? How about Beatrice getting the highest degree a royal has ever got in the BRF and she suffers from dyslexia? That's not constructive to you? Let's also put age into the equation here, Beatrice is 23, her cousins are almost 30 and 27 respectively. Maybe we should see what they were doing at Beatrice's age and compare? Bare in mind that William is second in line and at 23 he was falling out of clubs almost every night and Harry was doing drugs and dressing up as a Nazi. By far Beatrice behaves better than her cousins did at that age. I don't think the palace is going to announce every move Beatrice makes behind the scenes, if she's doing an internship, if she's organising charity work etc. She is not a full time royal, not even on the engagement list to look up. But she's done them in the past, with her father, her grandparents and on her own.

Life of luxury? They got new cars, they've had them for a few months and this has only just appeared in the news. Do you ever see stories about the other royals when they get new cars? Or when Harry and William invest in new motorbikes? Nope. So why pick on these girls? You'd think they could bring down the monarchy by getting a new car. Ridiculous.

You can count Eugenie out of a discussion until she has finished her education.
Also - your comment about "most" households living on the bare minimum, I'm not an expert however, is probably wrong. If you're going to pick on Beatrice for living the life of luxury then pick on the entire royal family, even the working royals because for what they do, perhaps aside from HM, they've all got it easy IMO.

Last edited:
It
Beatrice and Eugenie don't really do anything, do they? They are not working royals, Beatrice isn't even a student anymore. So, the question is: why should these two young ladies who, let's face it, haven't done anything constructive in their lives, enjoy a life of luxury?

Why - because they are rich young ladies - like other rich young people they are able to enjoy a life of luxury without having to work for it - luck of birth.

Why - because they are rich young ladies - like other rich young people they are able to enjoy a life of luxury without having to work for it - luck of birth.

The difference between those young ladies and Beatrice is that those young ladies (or their parents) earned the money. In case of Beatrice, her lifestyle is supported by the taxpayers. I do know that neither Beatrice, nor Andrew are on the Civil List, but it would be naive to suggest that's not the source of the money spent by the Duke of York.

Some young ladies who have been similarly lucky in their lives choose to do something constructive. Let's just say I'd prefer to be someone like Holly Branson than Petra Ecclestone.

I'm not trying to knock Beatrice and Eugenie down; as a matter of fact, I like both of them. The media needs to write negative stories about at least one member of the royal family all the time. The Queen and Prince Philip are right now out of limits, so to speak. Prince Charles is criticised quite often, but rather less than just a couple of years ago. William, Harry and Kate are the media darlings. Naturally, the focus of poisonous articles are next senior members of the family - the Yorks. I do understand that. What I tried to explain with my post (and apparently failed quite miserably) was why are the tabloids so successful in writing negative stories about the York family.

They haven't done anything constructive in their life? How about Beatrice getting the highest degree a royal has ever got in the BRF and she suffers from dyslexia? That's not constructive to you? Let's also put age into the equation here, Beatrice is 23, her cousins are almost 30 and 27 respectively. Maybe we should see what they were doing at Beatrice's age and compare? Bare in mind that William is second in line and at 23 he was falling out of clubs almost every night and Harry was doing drugs and dressing up as a Nazi. By far Beatrice behaves better than her cousins did at that age. I don't think the palace is going to announce every move Beatrice makes behind the scenes, if she's doing an internship, if she's organising charity work etc. She is not a full time royal, not even on the engagement list to look up. But she's done them in the past, with her father, her grandparents and on her own.

Beatrice's degree is commendable, especially taking into account dyslexia. However, if Beatrice were doing an intership, organising a charity or doing anything at all that could generate positive press for her family, the palace would make sure it was front-page news. They would announce her every move, as long as it could benefit her image.

Beatrice isn't a full-time royal, true. But the thing is, she is highly unlikely to ever be one. Royal families tend to downsize, and I doubt the British Royal Family will be an exception. There are plenty of senior working royals right now and in future, the main focus will be on William, Kate, Harry and Harry's future wife. Beatrice may work to become an asset like Princess Anne or Princess Alexandra. Or she could become someone like Princess Michael of Kent (not that I have anything against her, mind you).

I think you misunderstood my post: unfortunately, I don't possess the gift of expressing myself eloquently. I had no intention of criticising Beatrice or portraying her as useless scrounger. On the contrary; I do like Beatrice and Eugenie quite a lot. What I tried to achieve (and apparently, failed) was to explain why it is so easy for the media to critisise the girls. They only need to use the right words - "expensive", "lazy", "taxpayers", "crisis" - and everyone will scream bloody murder. The thing is, just because they are wrong or subjective, it doesn't mean they cannot occasionally have a point.

You'd think they could bring down the monarchy by getting a new car. Ridiculous.
And why not? A lot of major changes - revolutions, changes or regime, civil wars - needed just a small push, however ridiculous it seemed, to start.

Last edited:
So, the question is: why should these two young ladies who, let's face it, haven't done anything constructive in their lives, enjoy a life of luxury?

Because they have the means to pay for it, like lots and lots of other rich people's kids can as well. It's one of the motors of economy. Britain desperately needs people who invest in and consume the country's products.
So - why not? I mean, I'M sorry my son was not born to a life of riches and has no title etc. but I'm pretty proud of what he can afford even now and he invested in a bit more than average car as well. So, where's the problem?

Media Watch

Attempted reader manipulation by the Daily Mail? Never, surely!
However, the construction of the article is worth a look to see what is being taught in journalism schools...

The headline refers to Beatrice: "splash[ing] out on fashionable luxury Range Rovers".
Note the double adjectives, the focus on Beatrice while using a plural, and the byline of an unnamed reporter. Does this mean that no one at the Daily Mail would publicly admit to writing it?

"the young royal, fresh from that hat fashion faux pas...".
The relevance of a hat she wore ten months ago (a photo is provided to remind us) and the meaning of the word "fresh" are seriously open to question. The alleged "faux pas" can be safely left to the fashionistas to quibble over.

"The sleek black cars..."
Black? Well Beatrice's model is black, but the article states later on that Eugenie's is white.
"Believed to be worth..."
Surely cars have price tags in the UK?
"...Probably cost tens of thousands to insure."
Is the cost of insurance on a Range Rover a secret too?
"tens of thousands"?
Really? That's close to the claimed value of the car itself.

"A friend of the princesses..."
Where would we be without those unbiquous friends spilling the beans?
"They are all-singing, all-dancing models with all the mod cons."
Wow, all-singing and all-dancing eh? With mod cons too! Such a novel turn of phrase to describe a motor vehicle must make this "friend" easily identifiable to the princesses.

Down under the next photo block and towards the end of the article, the anonymous "Daily Mail reporter" loses interest in the Yorks and digresses onto William and Kate's Audi. Just at the point where it is revealed that neither Beatrice nor Eugenie have actually spent £40,000 plus "tens of thousands" each buying their Range Rovers.

No, the cars are leased.
Boring!
How deflating.

:previous: You always have an eye for details Warren! I (and it looks like others did as well) missed the fact that these vehicles might be leased. Is that against the law now?

I am also a bit taken aback by the statement that these two young ladies shouldn't enjoy a life of luxury? I don't get that argument when its presented in anywhere. Do I think its fair that a small percentage of the world's population has all the wealth? No. Do I think it should be distributed evenly? No.

But accident of birth, Beatrice and Eugenie were born to wealth. That's the way it is. Until a law is made which suggests that wealth can not be passed down from generation to generation, we shouldn't make begrudge them a life of luxury. Its not like they are buying $80 million homes.

I agree with the sentiment that the Daily Mail is using this opportunity to yet again bash the Yorks. And look, the usual inane comments from its readership thinking that the Range Rovers have been bought with taxpayer money.

Last edited:
Attempted reader manipulation by the Daily Mail? Never, surely!
However, the construction of the article is worth a look to see what is being taught in journalism schools...

The headline refers to Beatrice: "splash[ing] out on fashionable luxury Range Rovers".
Note the double adjectives, the focus on Beatrice while using a plural, and the byline of an unnamed reporter. Does this mean that no one at the Daily Mail would publicly admit to writing it?

"the young royal, fresh from that hat fashion faux pas...".
The relevance of a hat she wore ten months ago (a photo is provided to remind us) and the meaning of the word "fresh" are seriously open to question. The alleged "faux pas" can be safely left to the fashionistas to quibble over.

"The sleek black cars..."
Black? Well Beatrice's model is black, but the article states later on that Eugenie's is white.
"Believed to be worth..."
Surely cars have price tags in the UK?
"...Probably cost tens of thousands to insure."
Is the cost of insurance on a Range Rover a secret too?
"tens of thousands"?
Really? That's close to the claimed value of the car itself.

"A friend of the princesses..."
Where would we be without those unbiquous friends spilling the beans?
"They are all-singing, all-dancing models with all the mod cons."
Wow, all-singing and all-dancing eh? With mod cons too! Such a novel turn of phrase to describe a motor vehicle must make this "friend" easily identifiable to the princesses.

Down under the next photo block and towards the end of the article, the anonymous "Daily Mail reporter" loses interest in the Yorks and digresses onto William and Kate's Audi. Just at the point where it is revealed that neither Beatrice nor Eugenie have actually spent £40,000 plus "tens of thousands" each buying their Range Rovers.

No, the cars are leased.
Boring!
How deflating.

You know, I've rarely enjoyed reading a post so much. Ever. :lol: :flowers:
Thanks for the laugh and for the objective viewpoint. Journalism at its best, eh? I concede my defeat. :)

This is true. If the wealthy just sat on their money, the economy would be in much worse shape than it is. Because there are people who can afford purchases, whether luxury or budget-minded, many people are employed in designing these things, harvesting the resources, producing them, transporting them to market, and selling them. The more expensive a product is, the more time and effort goes into making it and the greater the value of the material that goes into it. One could say that the wealthy actually have a duty to buy more expensive things.

Because they have the means to pay for it, like lots and lots of other rich people's kids can as well. It's one of the motors of economy. Britain desperately needs people who invest in and consume the country's products.

If she and Eugenie can afford a new car who really cares. It isn't like it's covered in fur or anything it's just a car. And if they bought two sounds like they got some sort of deal which wouldn't be surprising. The Daily Mail just loves bagging them I am waiting for them to start focusing on Bea and her current work status. That won't be pretty and it is bound to happen.

Maybe the Daily Mail is run by Occupiers who resent the 1%? :whistling:

I think it's in bad taste for royals to get any sort of "kick back" from businesses. That is something expected of celebrities, and wanna-be celebrities, not royalty. IMO royalty should be above that. If they like a certain brand of car (or anything else for that matter) they should go out and purchase it; not take it because they are getting some sort of major deal for being seen in it, wearing it, etc. I think that only enhances their "celebrity" status, and the world is already overstocked in celebrity.

I think it's in bad taste for royals to get any sort of "kick back" from businesses. That is something expected of celebrities, and wanna-be celebrities, not royalty. IMO royalty should be above that. If they like a certain brand of car (or anything else for that matter) they should go out and purchase it; not take it because they are getting some sort of major deal for being seen in it, wearing it, etc. I think that only enhances their "celebrity" status, and the world is already overstocked in celebrity.

But where exactly does it say that there is a 'kick back'. Beatrice and Eugenie's cars are leased so are the cars of other royals. Few of them actually buy a car outright, the cars are leased and then traded up to newer models when they become available. (this is for their 'everyday cars' not the official cars) The price of the lease would include the amount of cars that are leased, not just Beatrice and Eugenie have Range Rovers in the Royal Family! Even the Duke of Edinburgh drives one.

The article is a manipulative one designed as a 'negative' story to provoke a series of 'outrage' responses.

Lovely post Charlotte1.

Too often people don't actually understand that way things work and take the negative out of articles simply because they have been attuned to see the negative.

Royals have been doing this sort of thing for decades (in fact less of the 'kick back' in this reign than in earlier reigns but now even when what they are doing is normal business practice they are criticised.

But where exactly does it say that there is a 'kick back'. Beatrice and Eugenie's cars are leased so are the cars of other royals. Few of them actually buy a car outright, the cars are leased and then traded up to newer models when they become available. (this is for their 'everyday cars' not the official cars) The price of the lease would include the amount of cars that are leased, not just Beatrice and Eugenie have Range Rovers in the Royal Family! Even the Duke of Edinburgh drives one.

The article is a manipulative one designed as a 'negative' story to provoke a series of 'outrage' responses.

I was led to believe, not just from the article but from various posts in this thread, that the royals, and not just Beatrice and Eugenie, received special treatment from auto dealers (i.e., discounts on purchases and/or leases in exchange for being seen in their vehicles). If that is true, that is a kick back. It means they are getting preferential treatment because of what they can offer a car dealership based on who they are. It doesn't matter if the car is bought or leased. If they are getting a special deal on something because they are royals, and thus they can "do something" for the car dealershp, that puts them into "celebrity sellout" category, imo. And I think that's snarky. It doesn't matter if it's been going on forever or not.

Lovely post Charlotte1.

Too often people don't actually understand that way things work and take the negative out of articles simply because they have been attuned to see the negative.

Royals have been doing this sort of thing for decades (in fact less of the 'kick back' in this reign than in earlier reigns but now even when what they are doing is normal business practice they are criticised.

Please explain to me how these things work. I see it as follows, and please correct me if I'm wrong: A business, whether it be a car dealer, clothier, jeweler, etc. has a product they want PR on in order to increase sales of said item. One of the best, and yes most practiced ways of doing this is to have someone of notoriety (athlete, musician, actor, etc.) get these items free of charge or at a very very discounted price in exchange for being seen with the item. True, it does happen all the time, mainly in Hollywood where actresses are given or loaned fantastic gowns or jewels to be seen in. I'm not saying it's not happening and that it might be perfectly acceptable busiiness practices. My comment was that, while I think it's fine - and expected - of actresses, musicians, athletes, etc., I think it's in bad taste for royalty to be doing that. If that is not the case, I stand corrected. This has nothing to do with negativity, I'm on this site because I LIKE the royals.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been happening for centuries with royals. The movie stars, sports stars etc got on the bandwagon somewhat late in the piece.

They get the items for a reduced cost because they provide free advertisements for the company.

The royals have been the major celebrities in the world for most of history. It is a more recent phenomenon to have non-royals as celebrities - raising them to the same status as royals.

Of course, it could also be nothing more than the royals getting a "fleet" discount due to the numbers of cars leased - a "group rate" as it were. Between the royals themselves and all the staff and estate vehicles that comes to a lot of cars.

Last edited:
Of course, it could also be nothing more than the royals getting a "fleet" discount due to the numbers of cars leased - a "group rate" as it were. Between the royals themselves and all the staff and estate vehicles that comes to a lot of cars.

I agree completely with you. The BRF buy/lease a large number of cars, for use not just by the family but by courtiers and for use on the estates. Given the volume and regularity of their purchases, they are entitled to a discounted price, just like most corporate fleets do. This has nothing to do with a PR angle, just good sourcing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom