York Family News and Pictures 1: September 2003-September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, Kataryn, I'll defer to your greater knowledge on the Anschluss and the Kleine zeitung.
Interesting what you say about the area they come from though. Perhaps someone warned her to check, or maybe it's just that coming from that area, they may feel understandably sensitive about how they are perceived politically by foreigners.

UK Cinderella show blasted for naming ugly sisters Beatrice and Eugenie
A British stage production of Cinderella has come under fire for naming the two ugly sisters Beatrice and Eugenie after the daughters of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson. The stage production of the fairytale, at the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury, southeastern England, features two male actors dressed in outlandish clothes and garish makeup playing the sisters.

I know this has been addressed earlier, but I would just like to say I find this beyond bad taste, even for a mock production. First off, the York princesses aren't ugly! And even if they were, how mean-spirited would that be? I think the producers of that play are looking for some free PR. After all, would as many people even know about that play weren't it for the York girls reference. Really . . .

I know this has been addressed earlier, but I would just like to say I find this beyond bad taste, even for a mock production. First off, the York princesses aren't ugly! And even if they were, how mean-spirited would that be? I think the producers of that play are looking for some free PR. After all, would as many people even know about that play weren't it for the York girls reference. Really . . .

Sadly, I think you are right...it is all for PR. But it is very, very mean and must be hurtful. Beatrice is a very attractive girl and Eugenie has IMO always been the pretty one.

Also, 10,000 euros does seem a lot to us, but Sarah no longer has debts, and has recently had a successful book and TV show, so she will be earning good money again, I think. And surely with an order of this size, it would be perfectly natural to throw in a little extra (the frock) to encourage a good (and prestigious) customer.
To which Russo thinks that Sarah ought to be saving for a rainy day and not spending so she doesn't find herself in money issues again, but that's just me.

To which Russo thinks that Sarah ought to be saving for a rainy day and not spending so she doesn't find herself in money issues again, but that's just me.

Russo, I so agree.........

I often say that I don't wish to offend any of Sarah's fans, and I am not wishing to Sarah-bash, but if I have understood what members have said - and perhaps Kataryn and others could kindly help me in case I have misunderstood, but as I understand it:

Sarah has bought handmade presents costing 10,000 Euros, intended as Christmas presents, for Andrew, Beatrice, William and Catherine. The Designers attended at Royal Lodge to present them to Sarah. The Designers and Sarah posed for a photograph in the ballroom at Royal Lodge. The Designers brought a typical Austrian meal with them and also the gift of a Designer frock for Sarah. Sarah also liked the dress that one of the Designers was wearing and ordered that too......

Well, I am sorry, but to me, the whole thing screams 'tacky, tacky, tacky' and shows Sarah both trading on her royal connections [Royal Lodge, mentions of the presents be given to members of the BRF...] and also participating in a shrewd bit of product placement [people could be encouraged to buy the same clothes that the Dukes, the Duchess and the two princesses now own......] and also spending an ENORMOUS amount of money and being given a freebie.

FergieFan doesn't think 10,000 Euros is a lot of money and mentions Sarah's debt free status. If I have understood what forum members have said in another thread, Sarah's fee for the OWN show was not enormous and I understand that her book did not sell particularly well. 10,000 Euros is about £8,250 or $12,750. That is an ENORMOUS sum of money for someone to spend when they don't appear to have any regular source of income. Russo is so right, perhaps Sarah should have saved the money. I am the first to concede that we don't know the exact sum of money that the OWN and the book brought Sarah, but she does seem to have quite a cash-intensive spending lifestyle. I wonder how much of the OWN cash remains?

And as for posing for the photo, I am sorry, but to me however I think about it, the whole thing represents a commercial endeavour, with Sarah none-too subtly bringing up the royals AND accepting a freebie.

I think that it is great that Sarah wanted to give Christmas presents to everyone, but to me she seems to be spending money that she will indeed need at some stage [thank you, Russo] although Sarah might well not realise this [her recent protestations have been that she never understood money...] As various reliable newspapers [The Times, The Daily Telegraph] indicated that Sarah's most recent debts were also partially repaid with money from the Queen, I don't think she should be spending this sort of money on presents [newly qualified graduates in London have an average annual starting salary of £14,700....].

The photograph to me is just advertising. Why didn't Sarah conduct the whole transaction away from the camera?

Incidentally, I remember that the Prince and Princess of Wales were presented with a cot by a nursery-furniture firm. The firm then spoke about it and so the cot was returned immediately - the BRF do not go in for the commercial endorsement of presents, so why should Fergie?

Incidentally, a popular royal family present [not just the joke level presents] is a pair of 'Unwearoutable Sporting Socks'. [just right under green wellies when walking and shooting]. These are very popular with William, Harry, the Dukes etc. Why couldn't Sarah have privately bought this type of offering?

And if Sarah at any time in 2012 has a financial crisis..........just don't get me started on that!

Just my thoughts and not meant to offend, but Sarah exasperates me sometimes......I want the best for her but she just does not help herself sometimes........

Alex

Last edited:
You know, some of the very best presents Russo has received have been MADE by family members. Things like blueberry chutney, braided ham and cheese loaves, little things Russo hasn't the time to do but taste so very good.
Unfortuantely, due to this (IMO) lavish spending (Sorry, Russo DOES think 10K euros is excessive) we shall be watching Sarah's finances quite closely in 2012.

I hate to join the growing chorus, but this just sounds like the same old Sarah up to her same old tricks. I *wish* I could get my hands on 10K in any kind of currency, as a Disability Pension does not go that far in our current climate. So to hear that Sarah, someone who has been given so much, still hasn't gotten a clue when it comes to managing her finances and/or how to avoid bad PR just irks me beyond irking!!!

Alex, those socks sound like something I should try and find for my Dad. If I can in Canada. Please PM me any information you can, so I can try and find them here. Thanks!!

I think that Sarah is desperate to buy favour with the young Waleses. Those of us who hang around messageboards have heard over and over again how members of the BRF don't exchange "serious" presents at Christmastime. I somehow doubt that William and Harry have spent a lot of money--if any--on their former -aunt-by-marriage, and for them to open these presents from Sarah and find these expensive jackets would--I think--make them feel awkward. Sarah hasn't even met Catherine, so ditto for buying her one of these jackets. I think that buying the jackets is a way of trying to "make them accept her", and I don't think that it will work. Perhaps Sarah wants an invite to Harry's eventual wedding? The whole thing smacks of desperation for me. I also don't think that receiving the gift of the dress was wise.

I just find it odd that she bought gifts for Catherine and William. What about Harry? I wonder if they even got them how would she even know their sizes? I agree about the money by the time tax was taken then agents percentages it wouldn't have left a lot and her book didn't sell that well it was in the bargain bin pretty quickly. I don't really think she is in a position to buy such expensive gifts I wonder if the second dress she ordered was a freebie too! Someone needs to inform this designer Sarah is no longer a member of the RF and he doesn't have any Royal customers. Sarah posed for the picture she knew this would get out and just doesn't care. Not a great attitude for someone who made a whole series about trying to change her ways. Clearly she learnt nothing, still spending still living at Royal Lodge and still pretending to be a Royal. @Russo what is braided ham? I've never heard of it here in Oz.

I think that Sarah is desperate to buy favour with the young Waleses. Those of us who hang around messageboards have heard over and over again how members of the BRF don't exchange "serious" presents at Christmastime. I somehow doubt that William and Harry have spent a lot of money--if any--on their former -aunt-by-marriage, and for them to open these presents from Sarah and find these expensive jackets would--I think--make them feel awkward. Sarah hasn't even met Catherine, so ditto for buying her one of these jackets. I think that buying the jackets is a way of trying to "make them accept her", and I don't think that it will work. Perhaps Sarah wants an invite to Harry's eventual wedding? The whole thing smacks of desperation for me. I also don't think that receiving the gift of the dress was wise.

I don't really know if she's really trying to ingratuate herself with the Waleses as it really sounds like more of a publicity name dropping stunt along with commercial use of Royal Lodge. William and Kate are very much in the limelight right now and Kate's fashions have been selling like hotcakes. To have any design that one has connected to these royals, means big bucks so here comes Sarah ready, willing and able to put her own "royal" stamp on something. I think the publicity over her buying gifts for anyone else besides Beatrice and Eugenie is all pure fabrication. I would think that if any other members of the BRF were to get wind of these goings on, it'd serve to drive the wedge between them and Sarah even deeper.

Would any woman look to Sarah for fashion advice?

In French we way «poser la question c'est y répondre» --- Asking whether or not any woman would look to Sarah for fashion advice is answering it..

I don't really know if she's really trying to ingratuate herself with the Waleses as it really sounds like more of a publicity name dropping stunt along with commercial use of Royal Lodge. William and Kate are very much in the limelight right now and Kate's fashions have been selling like hotcakes. To have any design that one has connected to these royals, means big bucks so here comes Sarah ready, willing and able to put her own "royal" stamp on something. I think the publicity over her buying gifts for anyone else besides Beatrice and Eugenie is all pure fabrication. I would think that if any other members of the BRF were to get wind of these goings on, it'd serve to drive the wedge between them and Sarah even deeper.

I was just going to post something like this. I think Sarah bought gifts for Beatrice and Eugenie, but the story that she bought William and Kate something as well was pure fabrication designed to get more attention and "hits" online.:whistling:

I was wondering the same thing because it just seems so odd that she would be buying them anything and not the others. Maybe the designer thought it would sound better and yes it would get him more attention.....

Someone needs to inform this designer Sarah is no longer a member of the RF and he doesn't have any Royal customers. Sarah posed for the picture she knew this would get out and just doesn't care. Not a great attitude for someone who made a whole series about trying to change her ways. Clearly she learnt nothing, still spending still living at Royal Lodge and still pretending to be a Royal.

Well, Andrew is to blame for that!
Why does he still allow Fergie to live at Royal Lodge?

I believe that if she didn't live there, she would find it much harder to trade on her Royal connections.

Haven't others, like Prince Phillip and Prince Charles, questioned this, and expressed a wish that Sarah should move out? But Andrew seems to be a very stubborn sort. He's not doing himself or his daughters any favors. :ohmy:

Question: As 'Fount of Honours', can HM strip Sarah of her title just to stop her from trying to 'trade' on it? Not saying she ever would, but could she, legally? Of course I understand that keeping it (minus HRH) was probably a stipulation in the divorce settlement, but the bottom line is that all titles/honours flow from HM. Possibly a 'very large' financial settlement in exchange for giving up the title? I'm sure that 'payment for title' would be unacceptable to The Queen, but boy would I be tempted if I were HM!

In the past I know there have been official and/or 'palace source' statements regarding situations with RF members (Harry & the pot smoking come to mind), but since Sarah is no longer a 'member' it seems that silence must be maintained with regards to Sarah's lifestyle. It must be so hard for HM to have to publicly ignore & remain silent with all of Sarah's goings on. In the non-royal world, you know any ex-mother-in-law would be saying publicly "Boy am I glad SHE's not part of the family anymore" if not saying worse!

Sarah dances a fine line regarding 'trading on her title', ie doing it but never saying "As the DoY I always use xxx product". Other than her Weight Watchers deal, I don't think I can recall her 'endorsing' a product, officially (correct me if I'm wrong). Even with this latest, if she were to be called on the carpet, she could just open her eyes wide and say "But I didn't SAY anything to endorse anything. It's not MY fault that 'they' used pictures/words that I thought were 'off the record'."

As far as I see it, nothing is going to change Sarah, and why should it as far as she may think? She pretty much has things set up perfectly. She lives a 'posh' lifestyle many would envy (usually on somebody else's tab), is a private person when she wants to be, trades on her 'connections' when she wants to or needs to, and is a 'public' person when she wants to be. Pretty much the best of all possible worlds, IMHO.

Whether Sarah is cold and calculating the in way she uses her 'royal connections' or whether she is just that naive as to believe she really is a victim and/or isn't doing anything wrong, I will leave to others to decide & will not venture an opinion. Either way, I still feel sorry for her. She cannot possibly be a happy person, and (IMHO) that's what we all strive for, to be happy wherever life has put us.

As our dear Diarist says, this is all my own opinion & no offense is intended to those who are Sarah-supporters.

No there is nothing the Queen can do. Sarah, Duchess of York is the appropriate way to address the former wife of a peer. The same as Victoria, Countess Spencer or Leonora, Countess of Lichfield. In some cases peers former wives have continued to use there ex husbands titles even after they have remarried other men. Raine, Countess Spencer reverted to calling herself Countess Spencer even after she married and divorced her 3rd husband the French Count de Chambrun.

Let's stay on topic...there are plenty of threads to discuss Sarah regarding her title, her business, etc.

This is a general thread to discuss the York family.

What's up with that «no make-up» appearance policy? Sarah is missing the boat with me as I absolutely don't feel sorry for her. No make-up to look pitiful because of the Turkish thing??? Come on Sarah, put some foundation and some blush on. Good grief most women your age are aging way more gracefully! Not only is she useless with finance but also with skin care products and makeup.

There is nothing wrong with how Sarah looks. Make up, no make up, it's still Sarah. She is at "that certain age" where things emotionally, biological, hormonally are at play. She's dressed nicely. She may have, like I did, decide not to wear makeup any more. I hope she is OK.

I respect your position but believe that someone like Sarah who wants to be known as royal ( and anyone else in the public eye for that matter) should dress the part and it means not letting everything go for the sole reason that you are 50+. I'll (unfortunately) reach that horrible milestone this SPring and have absolutely no intention of letting things go south or elsewhere!

Sarah is still looking a bit wan. Beatrice looks great - her hair is really shiny and well cut.

Sarah needs to wear makeup she is not a natural beauty and she hasn't aged well. I do think she is playing up the poor me angle and this is part of it. I can't think of any other public female who would dream of going out without makeup on. It makes her look ill and like there is something wrong. If she really was that worried she wouldn't be going out to dinner. Wearing all black doesn't help things either. Just cause your over 50 doesn't mean you let things go in fact most women I know who are over 50 look way better then Sarah does but then they put the effort in to continue looking good. By not wearing any makeup Sarah is drawing even more attention and do think she is doing it for a reason.

I would have thought that if Sarah was that worried, unhappy or depressed that Beatrice would have looked upset or at least concerned. Instead, Beatrice looked quite happy to me. Maybe you're on to something Meadow. Sarah has been photographed before without much makeup so she is well aware of how photos of her are going to look.

It seems to me that Sarah's been going without makeup--except on high-profile occasions--for quite awhile now. But dressing in all-black seems to be a newer thing. She used to wear at least a colourful scarf until recently.

Just thinking that there is only about 10-12 years of difference between her and crown Princess Mary of Denmark. Cannot imagine Mary looking that run down in 10 years. Sarah should pick herself up.

The Duke of York, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie and Sarah, Duchess of York have been in their
skiing holidays in Verbier, Switzerland again!

Here are some pics of last Saturday, February 4:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gallery **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom