The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Serene Highness

Christening of Charles Patrick Iņigo, first son of Lord and Lady Linley

December, the 2nd 1999

1. Serena Linley arriving with her son, Charles
3. Lord Linley
3. Charles' grandfather Lord Snowdon with his daughter Frances
4. Princess Margareth
5. Queen Elizabeth II
6. Queen Mother
7. Lady Sarah and husband Daniel Chatto

(source: Hola magazine)

Old 03-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel
Hi, first-time poster here!

I know someone else has already explained about Diana's title changing when her grandfather died, but I also thought I'd mention that Diana's brother's present title is "Earl Spencer," not "Earl of Althorp." (Before his father died he was Viscount Althrop.)

Does anyone know what the distinction is between someone who is "Earl of Something" (like Earl of Wessex) and "Earl Something" (like Earl Spencer)? I know there is a difference, but I can't remember what it means.

Thanks,
kal
During the Middle Ages, earls were a kind of financial enforcer for the Crown in addition to their power and influence in their county or town. The tradition was established that earldoms were awarded after the county or town where your property and influence was most prominent. Later, earldoms also were awarded as a personal honour with your family's surname, although this has been relatively rare until the 1700's.

As with all peerages, the earlier your family received the title, the higher your precedence, regardless of whether you are an Earl of Surrey or Earl Spencer. Peerages granted to members of the royal family take precedence from the holder's highest rank, which is a Royal Highness and Prince/Princess of the UK for the child and male-line grandchild of a Sovereign. Once the peerage passes to the third generation, their precedence follows their place in the line of succession to the throne.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
what is the significance of the name Linley? how do they choose these names?
I believe Linley was a town or village in Wales near the border of England. Since the earldom of Snowdon was created for Tony Armstrong-Jones in honour of his Welsh heritage, the subsidiary title also reflected Wales. Snowdon is the highest mountain in Wales.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Gentry

I thought it had to do with Lord snowdon's uncle linley sambourne the well known punch cartoonist. I live a couple of minutes walk away from linley sambourne house museum in kensington and have visited several times as its a facinating place as you get an understanding of the creative ideas of lord snowdon and lord linley who have been inspired by linley sambourne. There were a few pics of lord snowdon's parents on display last time i popped in a few months ago.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel
Does anyone know what the distinction is between someone who is "Earl of Something" (like Earl of Wessex) and "Earl Something" (like Earl Spencer)? I know there is a difference, but I can't remember what it means.
For earldoms, it simply has to do with whether or not the title reflects a location. For example, Lord Snowdon is Earl of Snowdon because Snowdon is a location. Lord Spencer is simply Earl Spencer because Spencer is not a location.

All extant dukedoms and most marquessates (I think Camden is the only exception) are locations, while earldoms seem split with a large number of earldoms created during and since the 19th century have referenced surnames. The overwhelming majority of viscountcies are Viscount _______, regardless of whether they reference a location, though there are some exceptions, Viscount (of) Falkland being one that springs to mind. Baronies are equally split, like earldoms.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbcm
Christening of Charles Patrick Iņigo, first son of Lord and Lady Linley
Thanks for the pics, but there isn't a ~ over the N in Inigo.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
All extant dukedoms and most marquessates (I think Camden is the only exception) are locations, while earldoms seem split with a large number of earldoms created during and since the 19th century have referenced surnames. The overwhelming majority of viscountcies are Viscount _______, regardless of whether they reference a location, though there are some exceptions, Viscount (of) Falkland being one that springs to mind. Baronies are equally split, like earldoms.
Actually, I can think of one other prominent one that isn't a location (at least not anymore): Wessex. I guess I can make an exception for that since it has historical significance. (But if they suddenly start calling Harry "Duke of Camelot," I must protest...)

kal
Old 04-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Margaret's jewellery to be auctioned

Jewellery belonging to one of the Royal Family's most glamorous personalities is to go under the hammer as Viscount Linley prepares to sell off items from the collection of his mother, the late Princess Margaret.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...ncessmargaret/
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2006, 07:30 AM
Nobility

Why do they have to auction that beautiful Poltimore tiara! :(
Old 04-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foiegrass
Why do they have to auction that beautiful Poltimore tiara! :(
There is discussion of the auction in the Princess Margaret Jewels thread.
In short, the Poltimore is being used as the centrepiece of the auction.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Again a totally different portrait :) - Lord Linley and Lady Serena:

(HELLO)
Old 05-10-2006, 06:10 AM
Heir Apparent

LONDON - MAY 09
David Linley at the "Dream Auction Full Stop - VIP Party" at the Albert Hall on May 9, 2006 in London, England.
(from uk press)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	linley.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	242662  
Old 07-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

LONDON - MAY 22: Serena, Viscountess Linley and David, Viscount Linley attend the Cartier dinner party, hosted by the managing director of Cariter Arnuad Bamberger, at the Chelsea Physic Garden on May 22, 2006 London

(Gettyimages)
Old 07-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

LONDON - JUNE 16: Viscount Linley and Serina Linley attend the "Grosvenor House Art and Antiques Fair" gala evening at the prestigious annual international fair, which displays over GBP500 milion worth of art and antiques, at Grosvenor House, Park Lane on June 16, 2005 in London.

(Gettyimages)
Old 07-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

CHICHESTER, ENGLAND - JULY 9: David and Serina Linley attend the 12th Cartier Style Et Luxe Competition lunch at the Goodwood House during the Festival of Speed on July 9, 2006 in Chichester

(Gettyimages)
Old 07-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Serene Highness

Great pictures, Iceflowe!!! Viscount Linley looks as though he's lost a good amount of weight. He looks quite handsome, actually. I assume the little boy and girl in the pictures are his children. Does anyone know how old they are now? Thank you.

Oh, and I wanted to add that Serena looks remarkable. Like she has hardly aged at all.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Commoner

Do You Have Any Pics Of His Wedding Day. I Guess His Wife Wear A Dress That Looks Like Princessīs Margaret.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
Great pictures, Iceflowe!!! Viscount Linley looks as though he's lost a good amount of weight. He looks quite handsome, actually. I assume the little boy and girl in the pictures are his children. Does anyone know how old they are now? Thank you.
You are welcome, Bella :)
Their son Charles had his 7th birthday last week (he was born on July 2, 1999) and their daughter Margarita Elizabeth was born on May 14, 2002, so she's 4 now. The text of the pictures does not say that the children are their children, but it's possible, I would say :)
Old 07-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Nobility

Amazing how much Viscount Linley reminds me of Prince Andrew.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Bluffton
Amazing how much Viscount Linley reminds me of Prince Andrew.
He is definately a Windsor, there is no doubting that!:)

Tags
charles armstrong-jones, margarita armstrong-jones, viscount linley, viscountess linley